Hanover Research

www.hanoverresearch.com

Hanover Research Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Peter G. Dodge

it;s good here, people are nice, training sessions are various.

Intern (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsProfessional environment, nice people, good training

Constime stress, a lot of projects, a lot of new things to learn, far from my home

Advice to Senior Managementbalance your time and work efficiently

Challenging work, for better or worse

Content Analyst (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsEach project I worked on was different, presenting its own set of challenges and obstacles. This was something I was looking for in a job.

ConsDeadlines are extremely tight. Very little guidance given for each project, but it's liable to change radically the day before it's due. Nevermind the deadline, it's frustrating to work on something for naught.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood researchers are promoted to management, but the two don't always go together.

Jun 15, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your experience at Hanover was not always positive. Our clients and partners set very high expectations in terms of product quality and ... More

Great company

Content Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsChilled-out work environment; very few meetings; independence; challenging and interesting work; lots of room for promotion; great benefits.

ConsNone come to mind ... I guess the pay could be a tiny bit higher?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do your research and know what you're getting into

Content Analyst (Current Employee) Ballston, VA

ProsThe first thing I would like to suggest is that potential employees should do their research about Hanover – not just on Glassdoor – before applying or accepting an offer. Try to get in contact with current or former employees in your desired position and look up the company management team and mission to decide if Hanover is the kind of place you want to work. The anonymity that Glassdoor provides is great at making employees feel comfortable being honest, but it also allows the HR department to plant reviews and upvote favorable reviews. Some people are satisfied working at Hanover, but there are just as many who are unsatisfied, so make sure you know what you’re getting into.

Hanover’s strengths are its people and the flexibility of conducting research from a laptop (I can’t speak to work on the development side of the company). The research team is friendly, smart, and eager to help when they can.

Flexibility is also one solid characteristic of work at Hanover. In the case of unforeseen events, blizzards, etc., Hanover tends to let researchers work remotely. It saves you the trouble of burning vacation time to handle an unexpected situation. The office atmosphere is casual, and the company generally allows researchers a significant amount of autonomy regarding how they structure their day. Micromanagement has not been much of an issue in my experience.

ConsThe most glaring deficiency of Hanover as a company is its approach to management. Hanover has a heavy emphasis on merit-based advancement. Researchers who consistently exceed expectations earn promotions. It’s a great idea in theory, but Hanover tends to promote great researchers to management positions without any assessment of their managerial ability. The result is that research managers typically have little to no management experience and lack almost any of the basic skills required of effective managers. The qualities that make great researchers (attention to detail, ability to focus on one task for extended periods of time, research and writing ability, ability to work in solitude) have almost no overlap with the qualities that make great managers (interpersonal skills, empathy, long-term vision, ability to understand, motivate, and communicate with team members). In short, it’s likely that your manager will not have the experience or personality needed to be effective in that role. Do not expect to work for someone who will understand, respect, or truly lead you.

Work at Hanover is also quite isolating. You receive a project once a week, are given a five-day timeline to complete it, and are expected to complete it without much interaction with other researchers. Managers tend to be unresponsive and unhelpful when asked for information or assistance. There’s no real infrastructure for researchers to share knowledge or expertise, either. Hanover is just not a collaborative place, and you’ll probably feel quite alone despite being in a room full of people. To be fair, Hanover seems to try to select people who are comfortable working in solitude. They administer personality tests and mention the isolating nature of the job in interviews. Just be aware that the solitude can be quite acute and depressing if you are more of a social person.

The pressure of work at Hanover is high. Deadlines tend to be inflexible, managers are often inaccessible, and Hanover expects you to complete your project within the given time period regardless of the amount of time required to complete the project. This means you may regularly work 50+ hour weeks, especially when you are a new researcher. One perk is that you get free dinner if you work in the office past 7 PM.

Hanover does not value its employees. It makes little secret of this, and there seems to be a tacit understanding of this among employees and company management. Plenty of people are comfortable coming into work, completing projects, earning a paycheck, and going home. But Hanover is by no means an employee-centered company. The company tends to be shady with major decisions that affect the lives of all its employees, providing little information to researchers and acting deceitfully in many cases. Company executives have repeatedly acknowledged being unwilling to invest in researchers or improve the research experience. Turnover is high and morale is low – ask to go to a happy hour with current employees and you will understand.

This lack of respect for employees manifests itself in a pretty mediocre benefits package. The 401(k) takes years to vest, vacation time is limited and increases slowly, and there’s no bonus system for researchers. Basic health insurance is free, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the management system – it’s the main reason employees are unhappy and it’s inefficient. It damages company productivity and smothers morale. Vet the candidates that you choose to promote to management positions and don’t simply make it a reward for good research performance. Hire outside managers, and pay them for it, if you need to. It will pay off for the company in the long-term.

Mar 27, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your experience at Hanover has not been a positive one. Our clients and partners set very high expectations in terms of product quality ... More

Fast-paced environment at a small but growing company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTalented and fairly young employee pool. Great benefits.

ConsLean leadership team which also tends to be on the younger, less experienced side.

Research side of the house: Hard work, but you learn a lot.

ProsHanover is just over 10-years old and is really starting to establish its name in the world of market research. The company is expanding at a strong and consistent pace, whether in terms of annual revenue, client base, or number of employees. There are definitely opportunities to grow one's role in the company over time. The company made its start by focusing on clients in education (K-12, higher-ed) and the non-profit sector early on; but has since branched out to serve traditional private sector/for-profit clients, as well as develop new niche services (e.g. healthcare market research, educational HR software-as-service).

On the research side of the house, one can expect to work on a different project pretty much every week (this rate varies, depending on one's department/research function). It's a fast pace, but you definitely learn a lot about different areas of the market and the companies that operate in them while you're at it. It's a rewarding job to have if you are intellectually curious and something of a generalist.

ConsThe company's HR strategy to-date appears to somewhat take advantage of the surplus highly-skilled labor available post-recession. They hire qualified individuals, pay middling-to-low salaries (knowing that many folks can't afford to turn the offer down), work their people hard, and then quickly replace folks when they leave after about a year for greener pastures. I expect this strategy will be less rewarding down the road as the labor market continues to firm up. Needless to say, employee turnover is rather high.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement would do well to think about how they can pivot to a more sustainable HR strategy moving forward.

Young company with a bright future

Development Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-First, and most importantly, Hanover's services are excellent. Working in development, I never once felt like we were trying to take advantage of a client. Contract renewal rates are very high, and clients get tons of value from Hanover's services. The research staff is full of PhDs, MBAs, and other advanced degrees (I saw a review on here questioning that, the qualifications of the staff are readily available: http://www.hanoverresearch.com/grant-consulting-bios/). Clients are very confident in our work. Hanover's business model is phenomenal and stands alone against competitors.

-Coworkers: All of the employees at Hanover are very bright, driven, and hard-working. Hanover attracts talent from top, elite universities, and the entire staff was a pleasure to work with.

-Culture: Bureaucracy is minimal, and if you do good work, you WILL be noticed and acknowledged. The entire development staff works hard to succeed together as a team, not in spite of each other.

-Office: Great location on K Street, just a few blocks from the White House. One block from the red line, tons of restaurants and food trucks nearby, and nice office space with gym.

-Perks: From Redskin tickets to impromptu (and frequent) comped lunches to free snacks, the little perks DO make a difference.

-Benefits: Fully covered healthcare, 401K with employer match, gym access.

Cons-Bonus pay can be uncertain, and can sometimes feel like it depends more on luck than effort. This is a issue with practically any development/sales job, but I believe that somewhat higher base salaries would help retain top talent who are capable of collecting bigger paychecks elsewhere.

-Management can, at times, be unrealistic with goals and expectations. We need to rely on our own research capabilities more.

-As a development associate, the work can feel monotonous. If you just come in, do your job description, and go home, it will get old fast. You need to be proactive. Study trends in your industry, work closely with your director, perform your own analysis projects. Management is always happy to hear input from the entry level employees, take advantage of this. Since Hanover hires high caliber staff, most associates don't fall into a monotonous routine, but it would be nice to have some more career training to facilitate and encourage interesting projects.

Great Company to Launch your Career!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAcross my year and a half at Hanover, I've found the company to be an excellent transition point from college into the professional world. Hanover gives entry level employees an opportunity to grow within the organization, move up in the company, and try positions across departments. Working at Hanover is certainly a learning experience--providing professional development opportunities and visibility into senior management for all employees along their career paths. For my young age, I feel I was given a great deal of responsibility and felt truly empowered in my interactions with senior management. My ideas had a frequent forum to be heard and I feel that I had the ability to create change in the organization.

- Benefits: 100% paid medical + fun perks like happy hours, Redskins/ Caps tickets, and annual parties/company gatherings

- Community Outreach: Hanover believes in providing opportunities outside of the workplace, including a strong community partnership with a local non-profit and an annual company-wide day of service

ConsHanover is definitely a work hard atmosphere, so be prepared to put your all into your daily work and rise to high expectations.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Hanover has been one of the most positive work environments in which I have had the pleasure to work.

Grants Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Great medical and retirement benefits
    - Leadership style management approach
    - Team oriented
    - Work-life balance

ConsThere are no real negative aspects to my position.

Great starter job for 20-somethings to gain basic administrative skills, not the place to house your career.

Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros(for Sales) Fun environment, great entry-level pay, very nice office space. Great benefits. Aggressive, goal-driven atmosphere.

ConsInexperienced, impulsive, and immature executive leadership team. Smart people, but they do not have concrete or proven management skills.
    Entry level associates make more than many directors or managers which creates a very lopsided compensation structure. Compensation is also directly correlated to your "luck of the draw" in terms of the director you are placed with.
    Uncertain what the function of "Strategy" is other than hypothesizing and whiteboard-drawing. If it's going to be an arm of the company, research and initial outreach to garner interest for new product development should definitely fall under this umbrella. Sales team should be busy selling, not hounding executives for informational interviews regarding products that may or may not be launched.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy would anyone in sales work hard to prove his or herself and move up at Hanover when a promotion is met with a substantial pay cut? I made more money as an entry-level sales associate than many of the mid-level sales directors or partner solutions representatives. Hanover is able to attract and hire talent, but is unable to retain it. Let managers manage. Senior-level executives should not expect to be involved with every single minutia, and if they are, what is the point in having managers if they must seek approval from leadership for every single action they take?

Jan 2, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are proud of our rich benefits package and goal-driven environment so we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Hanover Research. As a relatively young ... More

Worked for Hanover Research? Contribute to the Community!