Hanover Research

www.hanoverresearch.com

Hanover Research Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Peter G. Dodge

it;s good here, people are nice, training sessions are various.

Intern (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsProfessional environment, nice people, good training

Constime stress, a lot of projects, a lot of new things to learn, far from my home

Advice to Senior Managementbalance your time and work efficiently

Company taking a nose dive and treating employees terribly along the way

Content Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe peers I worked with were fantastic. Bright, driven people I am happy to call friends. It was hard to watch them getting crushed under the demands from our executive team. Very good salary when I entered the company although I've heard they've started reducing the offers for newer employees.

ConsFor a company that seemed to have so much promise in 2010 - 2013, the insane goals the CEO has set for the company and the subsequent failures to hit that goal has significantly impacted the company as a whole. Several new executives have been added to the team and have influenced the company in an extremely negative way. While attempting to copy the Advisory Board's strategies (several execs came from there) but failing to invest in keeping talent happy, the company is a rapidly sinking ship with many employees fleeing from it. The executive team seems to only care about the bottom line. The CDO has been quoted to say he doesn't care about business ethics. The CEO refuses to speak to anyone but his executive team and drives them to push their mid level management to the max. My advice is to stay as far away from this company as possible. I'd be shocked if they make it through the next 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your mid-level management, they are closer to the work than you. Practice good business ethics rather than just attempting to make a quick buck. Stop towing the party line of "taking no advice from anyone" because you definitely need it.

Great company

Content Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsChilled-out work environment; very few meetings; independence; challenging and interesting work; lots of room for promotion; great benefits.

ConsNone come to mind ... I guess the pay could be a tiny bit higher?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast-paced environment at a small but growing company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTalented and fairly young employee pool. Great benefits.

ConsLean leadership team which also tends to be on the younger, less experienced side.

Research side of the house: Hard work, but you learn a lot.

ProsHanover is just over 10-years old and is really starting to establish its name in the world of market research. The company is expanding at a strong and consistent pace, whether in terms of annual revenue, client base, or number of employees. There are definitely opportunities to grow one's role in the company over time. The company made its start by focusing on clients in education (K-12, higher-ed) and the non-profit sector early on; but has since branched out to serve traditional private sector/for-profit clients, as well as develop new niche services (e.g. healthcare market research, educational HR software-as-service).

On the research side of the house, one can expect to work on a different project pretty much every week (this rate varies, depending on one's department/research function). It's a fast pace, but you definitely learn a lot about different areas of the market and the companies that operate in them while you're at it. It's a rewarding job to have if you are intellectually curious and something of a generalist.

ConsThe company's HR strategy to-date appears to somewhat take advantage of the surplus highly-skilled labor available post-recession. They hire qualified individuals, pay middling-to-low salaries (knowing that many folks can't afford to turn the offer down), work their people hard, and then quickly replace folks when they leave after about a year for greener pastures. I expect this strategy will be less rewarding down the road as the labor market continues to firm up. Needless to say, employee turnover is rather high.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement would do well to think about how they can pivot to a more sustainable HR strategy moving forward.

Young company with a bright future

Development Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-First, and most importantly, Hanover's services are excellent. Working in development, I never once felt like we were trying to take advantage of a client. Contract renewal rates are very high, and clients get tons of value from Hanover's services. The research staff is full of PhDs, MBAs, and other advanced degrees (I saw a review on here questioning that, the qualifications of the staff are readily available: http://www.hanoverresearch.com/grant-consulting-bios/). Clients are very confident in our work. Hanover's business model is phenomenal and stands alone against competitors.

-Coworkers: All of the employees at Hanover are very bright, driven, and hard-working. Hanover attracts talent from top, elite universities, and the entire staff was a pleasure to work with.

-Culture: Bureaucracy is minimal, and if you do good work, you WILL be noticed and acknowledged. The entire development staff works hard to succeed together as a team, not in spite of each other.

-Office: Great location on K Street, just a few blocks from the White House. One block from the red line, tons of restaurants and food trucks nearby, and nice office space with gym.

-Perks: From Redskin tickets to impromptu (and frequent) comped lunches to free snacks, the little perks DO make a difference.

-Benefits: Fully covered healthcare, 401K with employer match, gym access.

Cons-Bonus pay can be uncertain, and can sometimes feel like it depends more on luck than effort. This is a issue with practically any development/sales job, but I believe that somewhat higher base salaries would help retain top talent who are capable of collecting bigger paychecks elsewhere.

-Management can, at times, be unrealistic with goals and expectations. We need to rely on our own research capabilities more.

-As a development associate, the work can feel monotonous. If you just come in, do your job description, and go home, it will get old fast. You need to be proactive. Study trends in your industry, work closely with your director, perform your own analysis projects. Management is always happy to hear input from the entry level employees, take advantage of this. Since Hanover hires high caliber staff, most associates don't fall into a monotonous routine, but it would be nice to have some more career training to facilitate and encourage interesting projects.

Great Company to Launch your Career!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAcross my year and a half at Hanover, I've found the company to be an excellent transition point from college into the professional world. Hanover gives entry level employees an opportunity to grow within the organization, move up in the company, and try positions across departments. Working at Hanover is certainly a learning experience--providing professional development opportunities and visibility into senior management for all employees along their career paths. For my young age, I feel I was given a great deal of responsibility and felt truly empowered in my interactions with senior management. My ideas had a frequent forum to be heard and I feel that I had the ability to create change in the organization.

- Benefits: 100% paid medical + fun perks like happy hours, Redskins/ Caps tickets, and annual parties/company gatherings

- Community Outreach: Hanover believes in providing opportunities outside of the workplace, including a strong community partnership with a local non-profit and an annual company-wide day of service

ConsHanover is definitely a work hard atmosphere, so be prepared to put your all into your daily work and rise to high expectations.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Hanover has been one of the most positive work environments in which I have had the pleasure to work.

Grants Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Great medical and retirement benefits
    - Leadership style management approach
    - Team oriented
    - Work-life balance

ConsThere are no real negative aspects to my position.

A great place if you are highly motivated, hardworking, and results-driven

Senior Development Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHanover is unparalleled in the opportunities it provides for upward-mobility. If you are smart, hardworking, and eager to succeed, you will fit in here. There is also a great, young company culture, and coworkers spend a lot of time together outside of work. This is a great place to jump start your career, especially if you want to make a competitive salary with healthy bonuses .

ConsSometimes the work can feel monotonous and it is up to you to stay engaged. Although they are getting better about this, systems need to be put in place so that there is greater transparency. The pressure to hit goals is more than many can handle (I guess that would be how one determines if they fit at a company like this).

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need depend on our own market research to set goals that are realistic. There needs to be more transparency and a greater effort to retain employees; we should be pouring resources into current employees to cultivate their skills, rather than hiring external employees that demand higher salaries and are costly to onboard and train.

Excellent business model, inconsistent satisfaction

Research Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits (free, excellent health coverage plus eye and dental)
    Good co-workers
    Education and grants practices provide the opportunity to make a positive difference
    Good leaders and management
    Growing quickly, with high 'customer' satisfaction

ConsEngagement and job satisfaction varies depending on the project
    Workflow and style leads to very little social interaction in the workplace
    Limited professional growth trajectory
    Employees often do not stay very long

Worked for Hanover Research? Contribute to the Community!