Hanover Research Reviews

5.0
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

1. Featured Review

Impressed with Hanover's responsiveness and personal investment in their employees' growth

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Hanover Research is a wonderful company to work for, regardless of whether you're a recent grad or an experienced professional. Unlike other quickly-growing firms, Hanover's management takes the time to get to know their employees' strengths and interests. In fact, one of Hanover's greatest strengths in finding the best fit for someone within the company - starting out in one department or practice area does not determine your future. If you take the time to build relationships within the company and communicate your needs, HR will provide you with the guidance and support you need to achieve your specific goals. Professional development and training opportunities are plentiful -- the Learning and Development team hosts everything from Lunch & Learns to skill workshops, which are open to anyone who is interested. In addition, people at all levels of the company are open and willing to take the time to meet in person to discuss their experiences, offer career advice, or answer any questions about their role or the company in general. As a result, Hanover is extremely open to employee input and feedback. The working environment at Hanover is friendly and supportive, making it conducive to collaboration as well as independent work. Support comes from all levels within the company, depending on the employee's individual needs.

Cons

While Hanover consciously builds a structure of support for its employees through assigning research coaches, personal managers, and keeping lines of communication open between HR and other employees, individuals must take the initiative to ask for help when they need it. This may be difficult for people who may not be accustomed to or comfortable with approaching upper-management. Transparency between different departments in the company can feel limited at times. However, management is actively addressing this through a variety of internal shadowing and training opportunities.

Hanover Research Response

Jan 11, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so happy to hear that you are making the most of your time at Hanover. I am a firm believer that we are the drivers of our own careers so being proactive and ... More

Very Responsive and Supportive

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

The company has many great opportunities for professional development. You can also learn a lot by working with colleagues, who are very responsive and helpful. In addition, the company is very supportive on personal issues, and tries the best to help you from all aspects. Work conditions are also very good to employees, and the company allows you to work remotely after you work for long enough time and have good performance.

Cons

The work pace is fast, and sometimes you can be very busy (but not always). Most of the time, you work on a project yourself, and there's not much collaboration. This mode might not be suitable for those who prefer collaboration during work.

Research Consultant

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After spending several years studying education policy and programming and working in various teaching roles, I enjoyed shifting over to full-time research work. Unlike grad school, where I paid to learn, at Hanover I was PAID to learn. During my first year on the job, I learned more than I did during my entire grad program. My writing skills and discipline got a major boost from the discipline of drafting client-ready content day in and day out. (Writers block is not an option in this environment.) And my awareness/understanding of hot topics in the world of K12, higher education, and lifelong learning grew at a pace I didn't realize was possible. Working as a researcher at Hanover was, to me, highly educational and stimulating. Intellectual curiosity and a collaborative spirit are rewarded with greater responsibility, and as a result, the Research staff is a diverse and interesting group of intellectuals. There is always something to learn from the person sitting next to you. I would recommend a research position to anyone who believes they are a good critical thinker and writer (or analyst for data work), and has the desire to learn and grow in their field of interest (whether grants, education, or business and marketing). The work is not easy, but the dividends are incredible.

Cons

For a social person like myself, the work could feel isolating at times. You can't be shy at the water cooler and lunch time, or you will have a really hard time making friends. The pace of work could also get challenging, making it important to set good work/life boundaries.

Advice to Management

For company-sponsored activities, it would have been great to have things that didn't revolve around sports games (Redskins, Wizards, etc.) and alcohol (happy hours). Not everyone likes sports/drinking. The holiday party, field day, day of service were more my speed and it would have been great to have more activities like that throughout the year as individual team building opportunities.

Hanover Research Response

Aug 12, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience working at Hanover and learned a lot. I agree that there are aspects of the research role that make it isolating and ... More

Great company

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chilled-out work environment; very few meetings; independence; challenging and interesting work; lots of room for promotion; great benefits.

Cons

None come to mind ... I guess the pay could be a tiny bit higher?

Young company with a bright future

Former Employee - Development Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

-First, and most importantly, Hanover's services are excellent. Working in development, I never once felt like we were trying to take advantage of a client. Contract renewal rates are very high, and clients get tons of value from Hanover's services. The research staff is full of PhDs, MBAs, and other advanced degrees (I saw a review on here questioning that, the qualifications of the staff are readily available: http://www.hanoverresearch.com/grant-consulting-bios/). Clients are very confident in our work. Hanover's business model is phenomenal and stands alone against competitors. -Coworkers: All of the employees at Hanover are very bright, driven, and hard-working. Hanover attracts talent from top, elite universities, and the entire staff was a pleasure to work with. -Culture: Bureaucracy is minimal, and if you do good work, you WILL be noticed and acknowledged. The entire development staff works hard to succeed together as a team, not in spite of each other. -Office: Great location on K Street, just a few blocks from the White House. One block from the red line, tons of restaurants and food trucks nearby, and nice office space with gym. -Perks: From Redskin tickets to impromptu (and frequent) comped lunches to free snacks, the little perks DO make a difference. -Benefits: Fully covered healthcare, 401K with employer match, gym access.

Cons

-Bonus pay can be uncertain, and can sometimes feel like it depends more on luck than effort. This is a issue with practically any development/sales job, but I believe that somewhat higher base salaries would help retain top talent who are capable of collecting bigger paychecks elsewhere. -Management can, at times, be unrealistic with goals and expectations. We need to rely on our own research capabilities more. -As a development associate, the work can feel monotonous. If you just come in, do your job description, and go home, it will get old fast. You need to be proactive. Study trends in your industry, work closely with your director, perform your own analysis projects. Management is always happy to hear input from the entry level employees, take advantage of this. Since Hanover hires high caliber staff, most associates don't fall into a monotonous routine, but it would be nice to have some more career training to facilitate and encourage interesting projects.

Hanover has been one of the most positive work environments in which I have had the pleasure to work.

Current Employee - Grants Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Grants Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great medical and retirement benefits - Leadership style management approach - Team oriented - Work-life balance

Cons

There are no real negative aspects to my position.

A great place if you are highly motivated, hardworking, and results-driven

Current Employee - Senior Development Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Development Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover is unparalleled in the opportunities it provides for upward-mobility. If you are smart, hardworking, and eager to succeed, you will fit in here. There is also a great, young company culture, and coworkers spend a lot of time together outside of work. This is a great place to jump start your career, especially if you want to make a competitive salary with healthy bonuses .

Cons

Sometimes the work can feel monotonous and it is up to you to stay engaged. Although they are getting better about this, systems need to be put in place so that there is greater transparency. The pressure to hit goals is more than many can handle (I guess that would be how one determines if they fit at a company like this).

Advice to Management

We need depend on our own market research to set goals that are realistic. There needs to be more transparency and a greater effort to retain employees; we should be pouring resources into current employees to cultivate their skills, rather than hiring external employees that demand higher salaries and are costly to onboard and train.

Interesting work, good environment, good pay, great place to work!

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting research reports with typical 4-7 day turnaround. Supportive team atmosphere. Good work life balance. Young, but not too young, office environment. Free snacks and coffee/tea, breakfast meetings, occasional pizza day (that makes a difference). Occasional early Friday for research teams meeting goals. Health benefits, 401k matched 2% by Hanover, life insurance, good PTO. Flexibility for remote work. Great atmosphere, definitely recommend it.

Cons

Very quiet atmosphere. Looking at a computer all the time. It can be challenging to focus on only one project at a time for so many hours.

Advice to Management

Define what career paths there are for committed researchers other than content director.

10. Exceptional colleagues at a fast growth company in the heart of Washington, DC.

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A young, ambitious and exciting place to work with well educated and friendly colleagues. The renewed commitment of the company to put in world class training, recruit and develop the best talent in the DC labor market makes the potential of this business all the more exciting.

Cons

Like any growth company, you have to be on board for the wild ride of fast paced changes and aggressive goals. The opportunity and pay make it worth though.

Advice to Management

The changes are making a difference, keep pushing!

Hanover embodies a fast-paced meritocracy which is perfect for ambitious young professionals.

Current Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Attractive bonus and compensation potential + Staff is smart, energetic, and hard-working + Fast growth of the firm consistently produces new opportunities and a dynamic atmosphere + 401(k) with 2% employer match + Great health benefits + Perks such as the occasional catered breakfast/lunch, and comped dinners after 7 pm + High level of staff involvement for community service events and happy hours/fundraisers

Cons

As Hanover has grown quite quickly in the past few years a need for professional development for mid-upper level management has evolved which to date has not been met

Advice to Management

It would be great to have easy access to professional sales and management training

RSS Feed </> Embed