Hanover Research Reviews

Great company

Current Employee - Content Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Chilled-out work environment; very few meetings; independence; challenging and interesting work; lots of room for promotion; great benefits.

Cons

None come to mind ... I guess the pay could be a tiny bit higher?

Hanover has been one of the most positive work environments in which I have had the pleasure to work.

Current Employee - Grants Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Grants Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great medical and retirement benefits
    - Leadership style management approach
    - Team oriented
    - Work-life balance

Cons

There are no real negative aspects to my position.

Young company with a bright future

Former Employee - Development Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

-First, and most importantly, Hanover's services are excellent. Working in development, I never once felt like we were trying to take advantage of a client. Contract renewal rates are very high, and clients get tons of value from Hanover's services. The research staff is full of PhDs, MBAs, and other advanced degrees (I saw a review on here questioning that, the qualifications of the staff are readily available: http://www.hanoverresearch.com/grant-consulting-bios/). Clients are very confident in our work. Hanover's business model is phenomenal and stands alone against competitors.

-Coworkers: All of the employees at Hanover are very bright, driven, and hard-working. Hanover attracts talent from top, elite universities, and the entire staff was a pleasure to work with.

-Culture: Bureaucracy is minimal, and if you do good work, you WILL be noticed and acknowledged. The entire development staff works hard to succeed together as a team, not in spite of each other.

-Office: Great location on K Street, just a few blocks from the White House. One block from the red line, tons of restaurants and food trucks nearby, and nice office space with gym.

-Perks: From Redskin tickets to impromptu (and frequent) comped lunches to free snacks, the little perks DO make a difference.

-Benefits: Fully covered healthcare, 401K with employer match, gym access.

Cons

-Bonus pay can be uncertain, and can sometimes feel like it depends more on luck than effort. This is a issue with practically any development/sales job, but I believe that somewhat higher base salaries would help retain top talent who are capable of collecting bigger paychecks elsewhere.

-Management can, at times, be unrealistic with goals and expectations. We need to rely on our own research capabilities more.

-As a development associate, the work can feel monotonous. If you just come in, do your job description, and go home, it will get old fast. You need to be proactive. Study trends in your industry, work closely with your director, perform your own analysis projects. Management is always happy to hear input from the entry level employees, take advantage of this. Since Hanover hires high caliber staff, most associates don't fall into a monotonous routine, but it would be nice to have some more career training to facilitate and encourage interesting projects.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place if you are highly motivated, hardworking, and results-driven

Current Employee - Senior Development Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Development Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hanover is unparalleled in the opportunities it provides for upward-mobility. If you are smart, hardworking, and eager to succeed, you will fit in here. There is also a great, young company culture, and coworkers spend a lot of time together outside of work. This is a great place to jump start your career, especially if you want to make a competitive salary with healthy bonuses .

Cons

Sometimes the work can feel monotonous and it is up to you to stay engaged. Although they are getting better about this, systems need to be put in place so that there is greater transparency. The pressure to hit goals is more than many can handle (I guess that would be how one determines if they fit at a company like this).

We need depend on our own market research to set goals that are realistic. There needs to be more transparency and a greater effort to retain employees; we should be pouring resources into current employees to cultivate their skills, rather than hiring external employees that demand higher salaries and are costly to onboard and train.

Interesting work, good environment, good pay, great place to work!

Current Employee - Content Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting research reports with typical 4-7 day turnaround.
    Supportive team atmosphere.
    Good work life balance.
    Young, but not too young, office environment.
    Free snacks and coffee/tea, breakfast meetings, occasional pizza day (that makes a difference).
    Occasional early Friday for research teams meeting goals.
    Health benefits, 401k matched 2% by Hanover, life insurance, good PTO.
    Flexibility for remote work.

Great atmosphere, definitely recommend it.

Cons

Very quiet atmosphere.
    Looking at a computer all the time.
    It can be challenging to focus on only one project at a time for so many hours.

Define what career paths there are for committed researchers other than content director.

Awesome Place to Work

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Hanover is a fantastic company to be employed by. Completely dedicated to fast growth, there is always something going on - very conducive to personal growth inside the company. New positions are created all the time, yielding a great opportunity for internal promotion. The atmosphere is upbeat, energetic and fun, yet simultaneously laser focused on results and success. For young people looking to kick start a career, all while developing valuable business experience, this is an ideal place to work.

Cons

Their K Street Office overlooks the food trucks parked around Farragut Park, and sometimes that makes it extremely hard to concentrate around lunch time.

Continue to be proactive about improving. While significant strides have been made, complacency is no one's friend.

Exceptional colleagues at a fast growth company in the heart of Washington, DC.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

A young, ambitious and exciting place to work with well educated and friendly colleagues. The renewed commitment of the company to put in world class training, recruit and develop the best talent in the DC labor market makes the potential of this business all the more exciting.

Cons

Like any growth company, you have to be on board for the wild ride of fast paced changes and aggressive goals. The opportunity and pay make it worth though.

The changes are making a difference, keep pushing!

In my two years at Hanover

Current Employee - Development Director  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hanover is an exciting place for young, driven professionals to learn about themselves and excel in a workplace setting. In my two years at Hanover, the company has always rewarded me excellently for my hard work. My experience at Hanover epitomizes the opportunities the company has to offer - I have experienced tremendous growth both professionally and personally in a short amount of time. There are several formal structures and processes in place that help guide Development Associates to Senior Development Associates to Development Directors to Managing Directors very quickly. The mentorship between each Development Associate and Development Director at Hanover is invaluable. The fast-paced nature of the job and continuous opportunities for upward mobility are powerful engagers and motivators. From my first day all expectations of me have been clearly articulated and I’ve always known exactly what I’ve needed to accomplish in order to get myself to the next level.

Cons

The pressure to produce at Hanover can be quite intense at times, and sometimes can lead to insecurity among employees. If you prefer a very safe, mild, predictable work environment you will not be happy at Hanover. If you are open to pushing yourself, working as a team, and thinking outside the box you will be a great fit here.

Communication is key. With information comes knowledge, with knowledge comes empowerment and with empowerment comes confident employees and confident employees generate new business. Continue to remain open to all ideas, comments, questions and concerns on both the research and development side.

Highly successful business model and unique opportunity to gain complex/consultative sales experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

As a small firm striving to grow quickly, the staff and diverse mix of business professionals are critical to achieving revenue goals and revolutionizing the company’s content offering. Impressive collection resumes both on the sales, as well as the research side of the business. Selective hiring process seeks intelligent, highly-motivated, driven professionals, which creates an ambitious and financially rewarding working experience. A great place to hone and develop complex sales skills while getting a front seat view into the marketing and research functions of some of the world’s largest companies and the challenges they face in our current economic climate. Management is receptive to new ideas and always willing to consider new ways to improve internal efficiencies. Fast-paced sales environment with attainable, but still ambitious revenue goals. Very much a self-starter atmosphere, which bodes well for “go-getters” looking to make great money while still taking on mid-level management responsibilities. Overall, a rewarding work environment, both professionally and financially.

Cons

The world can change in an instant, which is often the case at Hanover. Just when a new sales approach or tactic seems to be working, the company strategy could shift in a new direction, requiring a swift adjustment in focus. If you like a steady and consistent work pattern, this is probably not the job for you. Sometimes new ideas aren’t always successful, leading to instances of “time lost” in trying something new that doesn’t always pan out. Lean staff requires employees to often wear multiple hats, which is inherently difficult for individuals who are married to structure and do not react well to sudden change.

More visibility to employees when it comes to 5-year strategic plan and 10-year company outlook. Need to build out a more effective sales/training function that focuses on the onboarding process of new employees.

Fast paced, challenging, but ultimately rewarding job.

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Hanover is split between development and research This review is specific to the research side:

- Fast promotion track. Near perfect meritocracy.
    - Challenging but varied work. No project is the same.
    - Quick turnaround projects. Make work less tedious.
    - Build market research skills. If you seek initiative.
    - Helpful and laid back coworkers. No politics.
    - Fast paced environment. There is no room for boredom.
    - Good benefits. Free health and dental insurance.
    - Being part of a growing company. Hardly any bureaucracy.

Cons

- Low starting salary. Though pay increases at a rapid rate if performing well (~10% per increase).
    - No professional dev. program/external training opp. Need to implement.
    - Not enough vacation time. 15 combined sick & PTO days.
    - No client facing experience. Until Content Director position.
    - Solitary research work. By design, group work hardly occurs.

Advice to management: Invest in human capital. Good researchers, you want to keep them happy. This means allowing them ample opportunities to get more training (e.g. relevant classes, conferences, etc.), more vacation days, and pay them better. Believe it or not, this will benefit you in the long run. Also think about career paths for researchers who are not interested in client facing roles.

Advice for future researchers: those who take initiative, come up with ways to improve the company, and work hard will get rewarded. Those who need more handholding and are not productive will not go far and will be dissatisfied.

Worked for Hanover Research? Contribute to the Community!