Hanover Research Reviews

Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens
1 Rating

1. Featured Review

Impressed with Hanover's responsiveness and personal investment in their employees' growth

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Hanover Research is a wonderful company to work for, regardless of whether you're a recent grad or an experienced professional. Unlike other quickly-growing firms, Hanover's management takes the time to get to know their employees' strengths and interests. In fact, one of Hanover's greatest strengths in finding the best fit for someone within the company - starting out in one department or practice area does not determine your future. If you take the time to build relationships within the company and communicate your needs, HR will provide you with the guidance and support you need to achieve your specific goals. Professional development and training opportunities are plentiful -- the Learning and Development team hosts everything from Lunch & Learns to skill workshops, which are open to anyone who is interested. In addition, people at all levels of the company are open and willing to take the time to meet in person to discuss their experiences, offer career advice, or answer any questions about their role or the company in general. As a result, Hanover is extremely open to employee input and feedback. The working environment at Hanover is friendly and supportive, making it conducive to collaboration as well as independent work. Support comes from all levels within the company, depending on the employee's individual needs.

Cons

While Hanover consciously builds a structure of support for its employees through assigning research coaches, personal managers, and keeping lines of communication open between HR and other employees, individuals must take the initiative to ask for help when they need it. This may be difficult for people who may not be accustomed to or comfortable with approaching upper-management. Transparency between different departments in the company can feel limited at times. However, management is actively addressing this through a variety of internal shadowing and training opportunities.

Jan 11, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so happy to hear that you are making the most of your time at Hanover. I am a firm believer that we are the drivers of our own careers so being proactive and ... More

Very Responsive and Supportive

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

The company has many great opportunities for professional development. You can also learn a lot by working with colleagues, who are very responsive and helpful. In addition, the company is very supportive on personal issues, and tries the best to help you from all aspects. Work conditions are also very good to employees, and the company allows you to work remotely after you work for long enough time and have good performance.

Cons

The work pace is fast, and sometimes you can be very busy (but not always). Most of the time, you work on a project yourself, and there's not much collaboration. This mode might not be suitable for those who prefer collaboration during work.

Research Consultant

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After spending several years studying education policy and programming and working in various teaching roles, I enjoyed shifting over to full-time research work. Unlike grad school, where I paid to learn, at Hanover I was PAID to learn. During my first year on the job, I learned more than I did during my entire grad program. My writing skills and discipline got a major boost from the discipline of drafting client-ready content day in and day out. (Writers block is not an option in this environment.) And my awareness/understanding of hot topics in the world of K12, higher education, and lifelong learning grew at a pace I didn't realize was possible. Working as a researcher at Hanover was, to me, highly educational and stimulating. Intellectual curiosity and a collaborative spirit are rewarded with greater responsibility, and as a result, the Research staff is a diverse and interesting group of intellectuals. There is always something to learn from the person sitting next to you. I would recommend a research position to anyone who believes they are a good critical thinker and writer (or analyst for data work), and has the desire to learn and grow in their field of interest (whether grants, education, or business and marketing). The work is not easy, but the dividends are incredible.

Cons

For a social person like myself, the work could feel isolating at times. You can't be shy at the water cooler and lunch time, or you will have a really hard time making friends. The pace of work could also get challenging, making it important to set good work/life boundaries.

Advice to Management

For company-sponsored activities, it would have been great to have things that didn't revolve around sports games (Redskins, Wizards, etc.) and alcohol (happy hours). Not everyone likes sports/drinking. The holiday party, field day, day of service were more my speed and it would have been great to have more activities like that throughout the year as individual team building opportunities.

Aug 12, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience working at Hanover and learned a lot. I agree that there are aspects of the research role that make it isolating and ... More

Intelligent Employees but Unreasonable Expectations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballston, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hanover attracts incredibly intelligent staff making it a great place to develop your skill set. They also provide a lot of upward mobility for employees just starting out in account management. The company and workforce are young and there is palpable energy in the air.

Cons

Leadership of the Account Management department consistently requires long hours. Management sets high goals and does not adapt them for employee resources and capacity. Additionally, all management and non-manager levels are micro-managed to the point of updated status reports multiple time a week during campaigns and the last six weeks of the quarter. Lastly, executive management rules with an iron fist and provides little positive feedback outside of meeting revenue goals.

Advice to Management

Place people with management skills in management positions rather than promoting exceptional workers with little ability to lead. Re-adjust expectations and/or processes to improve the well-being of your employees and not subject them to 50+ hours on a consistent basis. The current business model is not sustainable.

Jul 28, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. The Account Management team is responsible for managing the relationships with our clients, making it a highly skilled and highly valued role at the company. Team members ... More

Factory model - Ok for Short-Term

Current Employee - Research in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover attracts some truly stellar, bright people who become great friends. The company is young and there is a lot of opportunity for growth and for employees to carve their own paths. Recent grads have a lot of autonomy over their work in Research and the potential to make a high salary within a few years in Sales.

Cons

The culture at Hanover is frustrating. Researchers are given 5 days to complete projects (usually long form reports) and are almost always scrambling for time. Salaries are low and there are no bonuses or overtime compensation for employees who work late in research, even though working late is often necessary to meet deadlines. The 5-day project cycle wouldn't be as difficult if researchers' daily activities were more varied; A typical work day for researchers involves working independently on the same project for most of the day and maybe attending one or two meetings. I found it difficult to complete the work within the time constraints in this setting, as it is difficult to focus on a single task for the entire work day. The research floor is literally like a library and researchers have to create opportunities for social interaction. The time pressure and independent work environment would be less problematic if Hanover paid researchers higher salaries. Research salaries are not competitive with other firms in the industry and barely cover the high cost of living in DC. As a result, I found myself frequently exhausted, working late to finish projects, and not making enough to cover basic living expenses. Needless to say, it was a highly stressful environment. Employees jokingly liken Hanover to a research factory, which is not an inaccurate description of the business model.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see Hanover make some real changes that prove they truly value their employees. Providing free snacks, a few vacation days, and having parties and happy hours are small perks, but do not truly address the sources of employees' frustration. Extending timelines to improve the quality of reports and compensating employees in proportion to the cost of projects or partnerships would be strides in the right direction. More flexibility in the business model is needed to make Hanover an enjoyable and viable long-term place to work. Hanover may benefit from adopting the model of a consulting firm to allow researchers more time, higher salaries, and ultimately better quality work. As it is now, Hanover is fine for a few years but researchers should go in with an exit plan.

Jul 23, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you are not enjoying the work you do at Hanover but am glad to hear that you enjoy your coworkers and see them as friends. Hiring nice, smart ... More

Researcher

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Hanover attracts really bright, kind people. I made lasting friendships there. Also, you get a lot of autonomy and trust as a researcher, and you're constantly learning about new topics.

Cons

Despite getting a couple promotions pretty quickly, I found it hard to stay positive and balanced. The churn and burn culture in research is frankly demoralizing - constant inflexible deadlines, generally unsophisticated methods that can be implemented quickly and mindlessly, and limited communication and support between researchers and project managers. Everyone is squeezed as much as possible at each level, forced into a narrow reactive mindset, and not attuned to what's going on above or below. In the DC area, people with a research profile have LOTS of alternatives, and everyone I know who has left Hanover is happier at their next job.

Advice to Management

Engaging an "Executive in Residence" is not enough to transition to a professional management culture. This pace of growth won't last forever, and at some point you will need clear strategic direction (growth targets are not a strategy), less sloppy decision-making and communication practices, and more realistic expectations of employees.

Jul 21, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that our employees are bright and kind but I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the rest of the aspects of the role. We have found that employees value the ... More

Decent last resort

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a researcher, you're given a lot of autonomy with how you manage your time as long as deadlines are met on time.

Cons

Despite being given a lot of autonomy on project and time-management, deadlines are tight and researchers quite often work late, with little to show for their hard work. Many companies give performance bonuses to incentivize employees to perform well; Hanover has just only just started awarding quarterly "star awards" to a select FEW researchers who have to be nominated for it (considering the solitary nature of the research position, I find this to be irrational). This award seems like a stingy alternative to providing performance bonuses and boosting employee morale. Compared to DC standards, employees at Hanover are underpaid, which explains high turnover rates. I think Hanover has potential to be a place where employees love working, but the current business model and poor compensation does not provide employees with much incentive to stay at Hanover.

Advice to Management

It's clear that management is interested in boosting employee satisfaction, but ultimately, it comes down to showing us that we're valued, which is most tangibly realized through a competitive salary. The way that things are now, it seems like Hanover view its employees like they're disposable, which may be detrimental in the long run when it becomes harder to replace talented employees.

Jun 19, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your time with Hanover. We are very upfront about our salary ranges during the interview process and are constantly ... More

Growing at the cost of maintaining good talent

Former Employee - Senior Content Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Content Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover Research gives you the opportunity to work in a variety of different industries and gain expertise in either B2B or B2C research. The work can be very fun or dull depending on the client, but the benefit of quick turnarounds is that you never have to work on anything for too long and you have diversity of project content. People are generally friendly and occasional happy hours and team get togethers are planned. Generally, most of the researchers are young with limited experience so Hanover can be a good place if you starting out your career. Work-life balance is good and most people work 45 hour weeks.

Cons

As a researcher, you are assigned a project and given a few days to put together an extensive report which can create high pressure situations and little room for error. Content Directors are overloaded with projects and as a researcher, you are left to figure out most of the content of the work on your own. Where the company is starting to err is in the lack of consistency and quality of the work. If you are looking to grow a career at Hanover, you have limited opportunities and have to carve your own path to a certain degree. Hanover doesn't seem to want to invest in maintaining talent and has opted to take the approach of hiring younger college grads. The rapid gowth of the company is becoming detrimental to the research team since it means heavier work loads and there is limited organization for how to manage the increased queues of work. Hanover doesn't necessarily promote the best people to management level positions and this is often due to high turn over and the need to then have more senior level managers. The result can be poor management, unhappy researchers, and confusion. If the company wants to suceed, they need to slow down and figure out the best process for how to achieve growth while creating employee satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Invest in maintaining talent with higher salaries or a bonus structure, more openness with how to create a career path at the company, more training to master new skills.

Jun 8, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time at the firm but I do agree with you that our employees are friendly and enjoy socializing with their coworkers outside ... More

Great company but terrible recent changes with new management

Current Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Hanover is overall a great place to work - tons of opportunity for professional growth for driven and talented individuals. The product/service provides great value to clients. There are some fantastic managers (and others which are not good) and your experience will completely depend on who is managing you.

Cons

The new management (Chief Revenue Officer and CFO) are making cuts to EVERYTHING and making every decision in the worst interest of employees. They have even cut the snack budget and I don't think Hanover has catered lunch ONCE since the CRO took seat, though that used to happen frequently. When I started at Hanover there were many "perks" that made employees felt very taken care of, but they have all disappeared. The CEO is actually quite generous and would compensate his high performing employees well, but the CRO and CFO have slashed all of that with a terrible overhaul of commission structures. As a result, at least 10 sales people (and the top performers) have bounced in the last few months and it will definitely keep happening.

Advice to Management

Hold back on of the austerity measures

May 28, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. Change is inevitable for a company growing at 50% each year. Hanover has decided to invest our resources in areas that will benefit larger groups of employees and not ... More

11. Not bad

Pros

Has a good bonus structure for the sales force. Also, company is pretty flexible with your time if you meet goals

Cons

Promotion opportunities are limited as the company is still growing. Also, does not have much name recognition if you want to take it elsewhere, or apply to graduate school.

Advice to Management

Formalize and professionalize

May 15, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. As we grow at such an aggressive pace, we see many staff have opportunities for promotion and stretch roles. 20% of our research staff were promoted at the most recent ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed