Hanover Research Reviews

Updated April 4, 2015
45 reviews filtered by
3.6
Peter G. Dodge

If you don't have other options, OK for a little while but keep on looking.

I worked at Hanover Research

Pros

- young coworkers/easy to find people with similar interests
    - can be fun to work there at times
    - company with potential but has to do major restructuring to maximize on that potential

Cons

- poor management
    - low investment in professional development
    - company has no direction and it's growing fast but it's sloppy
    - high turnover because people are so unhappy AND because it's not the place where you want to spend more than a year (at most!)
    - unprofessional
    - talk the talk but don't walk the walk

Advice to Management

- figure out where you're taking the company and FOCUS!
    - just because someone has survived with the company for a few years doesn't mean they should be managers, especially if this is the first place where they've worked and have NOTHING to calibrate against when making decisions
    - invest in staff
    - stop responding to all these reviews on Glassdoor and voting up the reviews that maybe you post (the gushy ones are highly suspicious because I don't remember meeting people who really felt this way) and focus on actually doing some of the stuff you talk about and improving management/addressing concerns for the people who STILL work there

Apr 8, 2015CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time at Hanover Research. I would disagree with your assessment of our investment in Professional Development. This has ... More

Great place to work for motivated and talented individuals

Current Employee - Development Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Development Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room for professional growth through training and career advancement. The company is making many investments in its employees. Good company culture. The services provide a great value to clients and the work is impactful.

Cons

Challenges of any rapidly growing company - difficult at times to scale properly but they are always making adjustments to improve the work atmosphere and scale in the best way possible as they grow the business.

Advice to Management

Increase transparency to lower level employees.

Jan 26, 2015CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your time at Hanover. We continue to make investments in training and professional development for our employees in order ... More

A Pleasant Atmosphere for Young Professionals

Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere was challenging, but the company skews young, which made it an enjoyable place to work. It's almost a built in social group.

Cons

The project timelines are very short - approximately one week to generate extensive research.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure any changes are possible given the model of the company; however, in an ideal world, giving researchers either more time or more guidance on projects would be ideal. The best way to do so is to foster internal communication between researchers. Giving researchers an hour of protected time at the beginning of each week to meet with a mentor or other teammates would be an excellent idea. Structuring these meetings so that every member had to discuss a success and a problem with their current work could be a promising model.

Jan 11, 2015CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the work atmosphere and spending time with your colleagues. Our clients and partners set very high expectations in terms of ... More

Impressed with Hanover's responsiveness and personal investment in their employees' growth

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Hanover Research is a wonderful company to work for, regardless of whether you're a recent grad or an experienced professional. Unlike other quickly-growing firms, Hanover's management takes the time to get to know their employees' strengths and interests. In fact, one of Hanover's greatest strengths in finding the best fit for someone within the company - starting out in one department or practice area does not determine your future. If you take the time to build relationships within the company and communicate your needs, HR will provide you with the guidance and support you need to achieve your specific goals.

Professional development and training opportunities are plentiful -- the Learning and Development team hosts everything from Lunch & Learns to skill workshops, which are open to anyone who is interested. In addition, people at all levels of the company are open and willing to take the time to meet in person to discuss their experiences, offer career advice, or answer any questions about their role or the company in general. As a result, Hanover is extremely open to employee input and feedback.

The working environment at Hanover is friendly and supportive, making it conducive to collaboration as well as independent work. Support comes from all levels within the company, depending on the employee's individual needs.

Cons

While Hanover consciously builds a structure of support for its employees through assigning research coaches, personal managers, and keeping lines of communication open between HR and other employees, individuals must take the initiative to ask for help when they need it. This may be difficult for people who may not be accustomed to or comfortable with approaching upper-management. Transparency between different departments in the company can feel limited at times. However, management is actively addressing this through a variety of internal shadowing and training opportunities.

Jan 11, 2015CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so happy to hear that you are making the most of your time at Hanover. I am a firm believer that we are the drivers of our own careers so being proactive and ... More

Swipe left on Hanover

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

I’m not sure where some reviews come off with positive and gushy things to say. I must live on a different planet. If you read anything positive it’s because these individuals have low standards. Hanover 101: products lack quality and consistency. Target clients are middle market companies who join because of Hanover's cost effective value prop. For the little guys, it's all about the Benjamins and Hanover sells itself on price. If you're a type A perfectionist stay away. You won't have the time or resources to do a quality job and it will drive you insane.

You may be intrigued by Hanover receiving #16 on the 50 fastest companies in the Washington DC area ranking. This growth is deceiving because when you look behind the curtain you'll find that the ship is sailing without a captain. Every Hanover strategy is short term and fails to consider long term implications. It's always "how do we save this quarter?!?" rather than "let's build a road map with ROI three years from now." Failure of upper management to challenge the CEO's short term theories is largely responsible. I get that you were successful in creating a custom market research firm, but that doesn't mean every subsequent idea is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Cons

For the TLDR version and all you Tinder users: I advise you to swipe left on Hanover.

First off, I anticipate a CHRO response to this review. Don’t believe it. Words are words and actual changes to back these comments are about as rare as finding Santa and Rudolph on Christmas Eve.

People
    Most Hanoverians are fresh from school and riding the post college bro-ski high (sales/development/whatever you call them). I can't tell you how many times I heard unprofessional discussions on the floor or heard stories from other people.

HR is "trying" to bring in people with outside experience for managerial roles, but it proves challenging to retain them because they aren't brought in at the proper level. You start at the bottom and they give you the spiel of short review cycles to allow you to move up the ladder quickly. Enter: the age and experience complex. Years at Hanover are more important than years before Hanover. Read that again. You’ll have to suffer working with people in higher positions that lack outside experience and are younger than you. Let me clarify, I’m all for smart, qualified people advancing, but these individuals are not Steve Jobs caliber. It’s hard to want to emulate or take direction from someone that only has 2 years of Hanover under his/her belt (for some context a 1 year work anniversary is akin to celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary – it’s rare these days because "society is so disposable" paraphrased per an HR email). As a result, if you need a mentor you’re not going to find it here. Additionally, they’ll gloat about personal managers, but that’s a joke. Instead, they should just be called “managers” because it’s all in the luck of the draw who you get and unfortunately, most managers are poor. Interpersonal skills are prime managerial traits that most Hanover employees lack, or better yet some believe they have which makes them delusional. This sentiment is expressed in other reviews. It’s still true. Exhibit #1092209: Mine took no interest in me and was not concerned for my career development at all. And don't get me started on the whole "managing up" shindig. Any relationship (professional, personal, etc.) is a two way street. When the other party fails to deliver, you can manage up all you want, but it's not going to move the needle.

At the end of the day, if you want to feel valued this isn’t the place for you. Maybe it’s my years of experience, but I’ve worked at other places where it’s not so blatantly obvious that we are just a gateway to more dollars. No matter how much you like work, if the people are awful it will impact your work satisfaction levels. As that dude says in the Men’s Wearhouse commercials: “I guarantee it.”

Pay
    If you’re not in sales or account management, pay is static without real performance based bonus potential. In Content, you may receive an increase at review time, but they are also known to just promote you to a new title without a pay bump (I've heard this on multiple accounts). While this looks great on your resume, your bank account will be like the Sahara desert – barren. My advice is to go elsewhere if you have high rent and student loans to pay. I had several years of experience including a graduate degree and my starting salary was difficult to make ends meet even with a roommate. I have a spreadsheet in excel tracking all expenses. If you think that’s a fun exercise every Saturday morning, then this is the place for you! Talking with your manager about a raise is most likely fruitless. If you don’t reward people for good performance reviews, the incentive to do a good job flies out the window.

Work
    If you’re in Content, expect to stare at a computer all day with minimal collaboration. Yeah, you have Content Directors, but they are busy trying to retain clients and you’re pretty much on your own to get the job done. I’m not sure what they tell you in HR (it’s been a while for me), but ask to meet with individuals who have the role you are applying for. I did not do this and regret it.

Advice to Management

Change the review cycle to annual frequency. Biannual promotions just create an org structure nightmare. You find yourself having to create new positions when you run out of tiers (e.g., SENIOR Content Director) and the progression between tiers just becomes fuzzy.

Hanover is clearly Sales focused, but Content deserves some respect - it is the life force of the machine. Offer Content higher, more competitive salaries and create an incentive program based on metrics (e.g., report quality). Ask yourself why people are leaving and care enough to do something about it. The job market may be in your favor now, but it won’t always be that way.

There isn't opportunity everywhere for custom research. Push through products that will sell.

Use data to drive decision making. Hanover is a market research firm who doesn’t capitalize on the talent for its own internal ops.

Look beyond revenue and promote initiatives that create a long term strategy rather than just immediate ones.

The clipart in HR emails announcing birthdays and work anniversaries should be discontinued.

Dec 6, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your experience at Hanover Research. Hanover has grown tremendously over the last few years, and we are proud of our recent ... More

It's getting better all the time

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

First of all, I can't imagine finding a cooler group of people to work with. I would be friends with my coworkers had we met in some other situation, and I think that is pretty rare. They're amazing people and they are my favorite part of Hanover. Speaking about the education side of research, projects are often objectively interesting. Higher ed researchers get exposed to a large number of topics and research methodologies, including the increasing use of primary research. Most projects are reasonably enjoyable, but if you don't like what you're doing, you know you'll be through with it in a week. Managers are usually responsive and offer insight into project expectations. The company clearly has an eye towards improvement and they really care about worker satisfaction. Management strives to develop a greater sense of collaboration and long-term vision among researchers. Employees who carve out a path for themselves will absolutely do well. As far as benefits and compensation are concerned, I am satisfied, and I was definitely pleased at the recent company-wide increase in PTO.

Cons

The work of a researcher can, over time, become tiring. It can be difficult to keep in mind the ultimate impact of what you are doing as a researcher because you are always onto the next thing and often are crunched at deadlines. You'll do better if you can set aside your perfectionist tendencies and think about how you can effectively answer a question *in the time given.* Fast readers/writers will also do well. But, given a couple of years in research, you will probably want to move on to something with more variation in workload and more responsibility. That can be challenging. In the same way that employees who carve a path for themselves will succeed, those who do not will probably grow bored in time. To succeed in research, you either need to be a superstar researcher, which will enable you to find a niche where you can be a research specialist or will let you move into client-facing roles, OR you need to find some other area of interest and pursue that. If you're good - but not great - at research, you may find it hard to move to those roles. Still, if you find something you can be great at, Hanover will reward you for that in time and I do believe they value people who work hard and find their strengths.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in researcher satisfaction and long-term career development and let us know that you value us, particularly around the time researchers start to feel fatigue. Upward reviews, surveys, and so forth have been helpful. Transparency is also key. Also, while it has been undeniably good to hire some external CDs, it is unclear to researchers whether we are still wanted as CDs as well, so making our career path options really clear would be helpful.

Aug 3, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to see that you are seeing the changes and improvements we are making constantly in response to staff feedback. I appreciate the feedback about keeping staff ... More

Company taking a nose dive and treating employees terribly along the way

Former Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The peers I worked with were fantastic. Bright, driven people I am happy to call friends. It was hard to watch them getting crushed under the demands from our executive team. Very good salary when I entered the company although I've heard they've started reducing the offers for newer employees.

Cons

For a company that seemed to have so much promise in 2010 - 2013, the insane goals the CEO has set for the company and the subsequent failures to hit that goal has significantly impacted the company as a whole. Several new executives have been added to the team and have influenced the company in an extremely negative way. While attempting to copy the Advisory Board's strategies (several execs came from there) but failing to invest in keeping talent happy, the company is a rapidly sinking ship with many employees fleeing from it. The executive team seems to only care about the bottom line. The CDO has been quoted to say he doesn't care about business ethics. The CEO refuses to speak to anyone but his executive team and drives them to push their mid level management to the max. My advice is to stay as far away from this company as possible. I'd be shocked if they make it through the next 5 years.

Advice to Management

Listen to your mid-level management, they are closer to the work than you. Practice good business ethics rather than just attempting to make a quick buck. Stop towing the party line of "taking no advice from anyone" because you definitely need it.

Aug 3, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that Hanover staff are outstanding and that it is the people that make the company a success. As at any high growth organization, we do need to strive towards ... More

it;s good here, people are nice, training sessions are various.

Current Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional environment, nice people, good training

Cons

time stress, a lot of projects, a lot of new things to learn, far from my home

Advice to Management

balance your time and work efficiently

Aug 3, 2014CHRO

Thank you for your feedback on your internship experience. We are glad that you enjoyed the people, training and environment. Hanover's internship program aims to give all of our interns the same ... More

Challenging work, for better or worse

Former Employee - Content Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Content Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Each project I worked on was different, presenting its own set of challenges and obstacles. This was something I was looking for in a job.

Cons

Deadlines are extremely tight. Very little guidance given for each project, but it's liable to change radically the day before it's due. Nevermind the deadline, it's frustrating to work on something for naught.

Advice to Management

Good researchers are promoted to management, but the two don't always go together.

Jun 15, 2014CHRO

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your experience at Hanover was not always positive. Our clients and partners set very high expectations in terms of product quality and ... More

Great company

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chilled-out work environment; very few meetings; independence; challenging and interesting work; lots of room for promotion; great benefits.

Cons

None come to mind ... I guess the pay could be a tiny bit higher?