Hanover Research Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Hanover has been one of the most positive work environments in which I have had the pleasure to work.

Current Employee - Grants Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Grants Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great medical and retirement benefits - Leadership style management approach - Team oriented - Work-life balance

Cons

There are no real negative aspects to my position.

Great starter job for 20-somethings to gain basic administrative skills, not the place to house your career.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(for Sales) Fun environment, great entry-level pay, very nice office space. Great benefits. Aggressive, goal-driven atmosphere.

Cons

Inexperienced, impulsive, and immature executive leadership team. Smart people, but they do not have concrete or proven management skills. Entry level associates make more than many directors or managers which creates a very lopsided compensation structure. Compensation is also directly correlated to your "luck of the draw" in terms of the director you are placed with. Uncertain what the function of "Strategy" is other than hypothesizing and whiteboard-drawing. If it's going to be an arm of the company, research and initial outreach to garner interest for new product development should definitely fall under this umbrella. Sales team should be busy selling, not hounding executives for informational interviews regarding products that may or may not be launched.

Advice to Management

Why would anyone in sales work hard to prove his or herself and move up at Hanover when a promotion is met with a substantial pay cut? I made more money as an entry-level sales associate than many of the mid-level sales directors or partner solutions representatives. Hanover is able to attract and hire talent, but is unable to retain it. Let managers manage. Senior-level executives should not expect to be involved with every single minutia, and if they are, what is the point in having managers if they must seek approval from leadership for every single action they take?

Jan 2, 2014 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. We are proud of our rich benefits package and goal-driven environment so we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Hanover Research. As a relatively young ... More

A great place if you are highly motivated, hardworking, and results-driven

Current Employee - Senior Development Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Development Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover is unparalleled in the opportunities it provides for upward-mobility. If you are smart, hardworking, and eager to succeed, you will fit in here. There is also a great, young company culture, and coworkers spend a lot of time together outside of work. This is a great place to jump start your career, especially if you want to make a competitive salary with healthy bonuses .

Cons

Sometimes the work can feel monotonous and it is up to you to stay engaged. Although they are getting better about this, systems need to be put in place so that there is greater transparency. The pressure to hit goals is more than many can handle (I guess that would be how one determines if they fit at a company like this).

Advice to Management

We need depend on our own market research to set goals that are realistic. There needs to be more transparency and a greater effort to retain employees; we should be pouring resources into current employees to cultivate their skills, rather than hiring external employees that demand higher salaries and are costly to onboard and train.

Excellent business model, inconsistent satisfaction

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits (free, excellent health coverage plus eye and dental) Good co-workers Education and grants practices provide the opportunity to make a positive difference Good leaders and management Growing quickly, with high 'customer' satisfaction

Cons

Engagement and job satisfaction varies depending on the project Workflow and style leads to very little social interaction in the workplace Limited professional growth trajectory Employees often do not stay very long

Great starter job, with opportunities for growth

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility with work schedules, and my colleagues are intelligent, kind, and fun. The workload is typically quite varied, so it's a chance to learn about different research/writing styles and about a lot of different subjects.

Cons

Upper management can be a little naive when it comes to understanding the researcher's perspective, so it requires initiative on the employee's part to talk about one's needs, wants, and desires related to any aspect of work. The receptivity of upper management varies greatly across Content, HR, and C-suite level positions. Tread with care.

Advice to Management

Listen to the researchers. They're where innovation will come from - they want to help, but they're not heard. If you let this go too long, it will create an unbreakable culture of sulking and dissatisfaction.

A great company for young researchers.

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Researchers have a lot of freedom as long as work is done well and on time. Researchers manage their own projects and have the opportunity to design and carry out projects from beginning to end. Hanover encourages methodological creativity and innovation in the research process. This is a young company filled with young people. Performance trumps age and experience. The business model is profitable and there are few competitors. Most of Hanover's challenges have been caused by rapid growth.

Cons

Hanover is a great place for self-starters that like to manage themselves. Hanover is a poor fit for people that need frequent collaboration, management, or assistance. While help is always available, you are still very much on your own. Career pathing is unclear. Many employees have found success by carving out new roles or becoming experts in niche research methodologies. Hanover is trying to become more transparent in its promotion process. The research office can be too quiet and Hanover does not promote many social events. There is a core happy hour group.

Advice to Management

Content team needs more incentives for performance, similar to what the sales team has. The sales team needs more research knowledge and career support, similar to what the content team has. Most of these issues will be ironed out over time.

Sales is social, research is not...

Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

It is a paycheck at the end of the (bi) week.

Cons

95% independent work (could be a + if you like that) and you can go all day without speaking with anyone even though they are sitting right next to you. I consider myself an independent person, but it's a little too much for even me. While I understand it's research, this quiet environment still baffles me. It's hard to know your coworkers, people leave without saying bye...and you realize this the next day when their desk is clear. Work is hit or miss and can be frustrating. Shifting from topic to topic each week gets old, especially since subjects are rather obscure areas (majority B2B, little B2C). If you are considering applying, consider what type of work environment you like. I'm writing this because if you have an offer and are unsure, you are unsure for a reason and move on.

Advice to Management

CDs need management skills. This would benefit communication with researchers and also with client interaction.

May 24, 2013 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you found the work at Hanover to be more isolating and less predictable than you had anticipated. Autonomy and variety are characteristics of ... More

Lonely work in the middle of a crowd

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move upward if you do not make mistakes Good location

Cons

People in Research are stacked on top of one another in one giant room. You get very little privacy, yet you interact with no one and spend the whole day looking at the computer screen. Some of the work is boring, like looking up random things on google and citing them on a report. Upper management lacks communication skills (lots of fake smiles and politeness, no constructive feedback). High employee turnover. Behind all the smiles, the company seems to have a ruthless culture, taking in recent graduates who have nowhere else to go, and getting rid of people who struggle.

Advice to Management

Get people who can communicate well and actually help build professional skills.

Jun 20, 2013 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you found the work at Hanover to be more isolating than you had anticipated. Autonomy and variety are characteristics of the job that most of our ... More

Interesting work, good environment, good pay, great place to work!

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting research reports with typical 4-7 day turnaround. Supportive team atmosphere. Good work life balance. Young, but not too young, office environment. Free snacks and coffee/tea, breakfast meetings, occasional pizza day (that makes a difference). Occasional early Friday for research teams meeting goals. Health benefits, 401k matched 2% by Hanover, life insurance, good PTO. Flexibility for remote work. Great atmosphere, definitely recommend it.

Cons

Very quiet atmosphere. Looking at a computer all the time. It can be challenging to focus on only one project at a time for so many hours.

Advice to Management

Define what career paths there are for committed researchers other than content director.

11. Exceptional colleagues at a fast growth company in the heart of Washington, DC.

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A young, ambitious and exciting place to work with well educated and friendly colleagues. The renewed commitment of the company to put in world class training, recruit and develop the best talent in the DC labor market makes the potential of this business all the more exciting.

Cons

Like any growth company, you have to be on board for the wild ride of fast paced changes and aggressive goals. The opportunity and pay make it worth though.

Advice to Management

The changes are making a difference, keep pushing!

RSS Feed </> Embed