Hanover Research

Updated Jun 7, 2014

Peter G. Dodge

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company

Content Analyst (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsChilled-out work environment; very few meetings; independence; challenging and interesting work; lots of room for promotion; great benefits.

ConsNone come to mind ... I guess the pay could be a tiny bit higher?

Challenging work, for better or worse

Content Analyst (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsEach project I worked on was different, presenting its own set of challenges and obstacles. This was something I was looking for in a job.

ConsDeadlines are extremely tight. Very little guidance given for each project, but it's liable to change radically the day before it's due. Nevermind the deadline, it's frustrating to work on something for naught.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood researchers are promoted to management, but the two don't always go together.

Flag Review
    Hanover Research CHRO responded to this review Jun 15, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your experience at Hanover was not always positive. Our clients and partners set very high expectations in terms of product quality and ... More

Fast-paced environment at a small but growing company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsTalented and fairly young employee pool. Great benefits.

ConsLean leadership team which also tends to be on the younger, less experienced side.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company to Launch your Career!

Washington, DC

ProsAcross my year and a half at Hanover, I've found the company to be an excellent transition point from college into the professional world. Hanover gives entry level employees an opportunity to grow within the organization, move up in the company, and try positions across departments. Working at Hanover is certainly a learning experience--providing professional development opportunities and visibility into senior management for all employees along their career paths. For my young age, I feel I was given a great deal of responsibility and felt truly empowered in my interactions with senior management. My ideas had a frequent forum to be heard and I feel that I had the ability to create change in the organization.

- Benefits: 100% paid medical + fun perks like happy hours, Redskins/ Caps tickets, and annual parties/company gatherings

- Community Outreach: Hanover believes in providing opportunities outside of the workplace, including a strong community partnership with a local non-profit and an annual company-wide day of service

ConsHanover is definitely a work hard atmosphere, so be prepared to put your all into your daily work and rise to high expectations.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Hanover has been one of the most positive work environments in which I have had the pleasure to work.

Grants Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros-Great medical and retirement benefits
    - Leadership style management approach
    - Team oriented
    - Work-life balance

ConsThere are no real negative aspects to my position.

Young company with a bright future

Development Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros-First, and most importantly, Hanover's services are excellent. Working in development, I never once felt like we were trying to take advantage of a client. Contract renewal rates are very high, and clients get tons of value from Hanover's services. The research staff is full of PhDs, MBAs, and other advanced degrees (I saw a review on here questioning that, the qualifications of the staff are readily available: http://www.hanoverresearch.com/grant-consulting-bios/). Clients are very confident in our work. Hanover's business model is phenomenal and stands alone against competitors.

-Coworkers: All of the employees at Hanover are very bright, driven, and hard-working. Hanover attracts talent from top, elite universities, and the entire staff was a pleasure to work with.

-Culture: Bureaucracy is minimal, and if you do good work, you WILL be noticed and acknowledged. The entire development staff works hard to succeed together as a team, not in spite of each other.

-Office: Great location on K Street, just a few blocks from the White House. One block from the red line, tons of restaurants and food trucks nearby, and nice office space with gym.

-Perks: From Redskin tickets to impromptu (and frequent) comped lunches to free snacks, the little perks DO make a difference.

-Benefits: Fully covered healthcare, 401K with employer match, gym access.

Cons-Bonus pay can be uncertain, and can sometimes feel like it depends more on luck than effort. This is a issue with practically any development/sales job, but I believe that somewhat higher base salaries would help retain top talent who are capable of collecting bigger paychecks elsewhere.

-Management can, at times, be unrealistic with goals and expectations. We need to rely on our own research capabilities more.

-As a development associate, the work can feel monotonous. If you just come in, do your job description, and go home, it will get old fast. You need to be proactive. Study trends in your industry, work closely with your director, perform your own analysis projects. Management is always happy to hear input from the entry level employees, take advantage of this. Since Hanover hires high caliber staff, most associates don't fall into a monotonous routine, but it would be nice to have some more career training to facilitate and encourage interesting projects.

Great starter job for 20-somethings to gain basic administrative skills, not the place to house your career.

Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros(for Sales) Fun environment, great entry-level pay, very nice office space. Great benefits. Aggressive, goal-driven atmosphere.

ConsInexperienced, impulsive, and immature executive leadership team. Smart people, but they do not have concrete or proven management skills.
    Entry level associates make more than many directors or managers which creates a very lopsided compensation structure. Compensation is also directly correlated to your "luck of the draw" in terms of the director you are placed with.
    Uncertain what the function of "Strategy" is other than hypothesizing and whiteboard-drawing. If it's going to be an arm of the company, research and initial outreach to garner interest for new product development should definitely fall under this umbrella. Sales team should be busy selling, not hounding executives for informational interviews regarding products that may or may not be launched.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy would anyone in sales work hard to prove his or herself and move up at Hanover when a promotion is met with a substantial pay cut? I made more money as an entry-level sales associate than many of the mid-level sales directors or partner solutions representatives. Hanover is able to attract and hire talent, but is unable to retain it. Let managers manage. Senior-level executives should not expect to be involved with every single minutia, and if they are, what is the point in having managers if they must seek approval from leadership for every single action they take?

Flag Review
    Hanover Research CHRO responded to this review Jan 2, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback. We are proud of our rich benefits package and goal-driven environment so we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Hanover Research. As a relatively young ... More

A great place if you are highly motivated, hardworking, and results-driven

Senior Development Associate (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsHanover is unparalleled in the opportunities it provides for upward-mobility. If you are smart, hardworking, and eager to succeed, you will fit in here. There is also a great, young company culture, and coworkers spend a lot of time together outside of work. This is a great place to jump start your career, especially if you want to make a competitive salary with healthy bonuses .

ConsSometimes the work can feel monotonous and it is up to you to stay engaged. Although they are getting better about this, systems need to be put in place so that there is greater transparency. The pressure to hit goals is more than many can handle (I guess that would be how one determines if they fit at a company like this).

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need depend on our own market research to set goals that are realistic. There needs to be more transparency and a greater effort to retain employees; we should be pouring resources into current employees to cultivate their skills, rather than hiring external employees that demand higher salaries and are costly to onboard and train.

Excellent business model, inconsistent satisfaction

Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits (free, excellent health coverage plus eye and dental)
    Good co-workers
    Education and grants practices provide the opportunity to make a positive difference
    Good leaders and management
    Growing quickly, with high 'customer' satisfaction

ConsEngagement and job satisfaction varies depending on the project
    Workflow and style leads to very little social interaction in the workplace
    Limited professional growth trajectory
    Employees often do not stay very long

A great company for young researchers.

Senior Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsResearchers have a lot of freedom as long as work is done well and on time. Researchers manage their own projects and have the opportunity to design and carry out projects from beginning to end. Hanover encourages methodological creativity and innovation in the research process.

This is a young company filled with young people. Performance trumps age and experience.

The business model is profitable and there are few competitors. Most of Hanover's challenges have been caused by rapid growth.

ConsHanover is a great place for self-starters that like to manage themselves. Hanover is a poor fit for people that need frequent collaboration, management, or assistance. While help is always available, you are still very much on your own.

Career pathing is unclear. Many employees have found success by carving out new roles or becoming experts in niche research methodologies. Hanover is trying to become more transparent in its promotion process.

The research office can be too quiet and Hanover does not promote many social events. There is a core happy hour group.

Advice to Senior ManagementContent team needs more incentives for performance, similar to what the sales team has. The sales team needs more research knowledge and career support, similar to what the content team has. Most of these issues will be ironed out over time.

Worked for Hanover Research? Contribute to the Community!

Hanover Research – Why Work for Us?

Hanover Research is a global information services firm providing knowledge support to both for-profit and non-profit organizations. Through our unique, fixed-cost model we provide customized, timely, and authoritative… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hanover Research reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hanover Research CEO Peter G. Dodge. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Hanover Research employees.