Hanson Dodge
www.hansondodge.com Milwaukee, WI 50 to 149 Employees

Hanson Dodge Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Ken Hanson

Hanson Dodge Creative is an amazing place to work -- great environment with great people.

Milwaukee, WI

ProsExceptionally talented and creative colleagues, a strong focus on work/life balance -- work hard and play hard, a healthy focus on active lifestyle including an on-site gym. A beautiful & well-designed, hip environment in a perfect Third Ward location. Very caring leadership supports a strong commitment to the community through things like AIGA WI and Common Ground. I've often been told by former colleagues who left that HDC was their favorite place to work.

ConsIt's hard to think of any cons, other than something that may be common to a lot of branding & marketing firms and the design industry as a whole, which is that the workload is not very consistent -- sometimes too quiet, sometimes too busy, rarely just even. The only other thing I can think of is that a few times, new job descriptions have not been well-baked and tightened up enough, which created a risk of misinterpreted expectations both for the employee and for the firm. (I think this is the unintended result of trying to be open to individuals' strengths and what they have to offer unfolding over time.)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you've been doing well for over 30 years, stay open and honest and transparent and rewarding of excellent employees with the great environment you've created. Relative to the only cons I could think of above, try to be more clear in job descriptions for some of the more loosely defined roles.

Great place!

Milwaukee, WI

ProsI have been working at Hanson Dodge Creative full time for more than a year and I continue to enjoy coming to work each day. I am constantly being challenged by my job and my colleagues. I genuinely enjoy the work I do each day and am never bored with the vast array of work I do from week- to- week. The work-life balance is a huge bonus on top of working with an extremely intelligent group of people with a wide diversity of talent. I would recommend Hanson Dodge Creative to anyone in search of a job within the advertising world.

ConsLike any other workplace, there will be issues to overcome. Our leadership team has done an extraordinary job in listening to any concerns and ensuring that they are heard and managed. This is something that is unique to any other workplace I have been before.

Truly care about the work they do, the people they do it with, and the community in which we work and play.

(Current Employee)

ProsAt HDC the leaders are open, honest and truly seem to care about their employees. The environment they've worked to foster—from the unique, beautiful physical space that, I think, helps breed creativity, to the on-site workout facility, yoga classes, community art shows and thoughtful get-togethers— has created a fun atmosphere where work doesn't always feel like such.

Since arriving, my managers have worked with me to develop a career path that has both challenged me and given me a clear road to success. And I've seen firsthand several senior-level employees showing their willingness to mentor young talent—and those mentors include the partners, Ken and Tim.

To me, there are a few simple reasons why they have managed continued success for over 30 years: they truly care about the work they do, the people they do it with, and the community in which we work and play. And everyone seems committed to always getting better.

ConsNone to write home about. Like any business in this industry, there are bumps along the way to continued improvement. They've provided a pretty good platform to voice any concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Simply some of the brightest minds and enjoyable people I've worked with, in a great business operation.

Director of Web Strategy (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe entire agency, to a person, takes responsibility for their continual contribution and superior work product. The internal mantra of 'best idea wins' isn't just lip service, it's born out in every interaction I've experienced, at every level of the organization.

For an agency that excels in branding, marketing and technology, Hanson Dodge Creative has detailed procedures in place to facilitate great brand leadership, client results, and innovative technology. At the same time, every area is open to constructive self-examination for process improvement - and takes action to drive results.

Aside from the obvious perks like flexibility of schedule, great consumer clients (as well as a portfolio of strong B2B), fitness facility and showers, and an open, friendly atmosphere, I've noticed a real drive to succeed and build on success to a person.

Standards are high. There's an open desire for everyone to do their best work, and there is the focus, latitude and humanity of management that make it possible for that to happen. What a great place to work, contribute, succeed and grow!

ConsThis is not a place for the timid, thin-skinned or faint of heart. Vision and growth are pursued with vigor and robust passion. When everyone cares deeply about their work, it fuels strong opinion. It's challenging, but utlimately, fruitful.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs you grow, make sure to foster small, nimble, innovative initiatives in addition to the larger, sustaining creative successes. In doing so, you'll plant the seeds that grow into larger opportunities in time.

Great place to Work!

Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe three things I like about HDC are the people, pace and the participation. The people are competent and easy-going, the pace is not insane but busy enough to be fun and the participation is creative and respectful.

ConsWe could use a better sense of role definition because so many people can do so many things, we step on each other's feet once in a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the transparency and listening!

ok

ProsPaycheck. The work is steady, but not challenging. Not mentally engaging. I have been at other places that allow and encourage employee growth. Here the upper level seems to want to keep the status quo. I would never say any of this out loud at work. I just don't feel comfortable doing so. I kinda need the job.

ConsBenefits are ok. Would like more. Doldrums. Ongoing tediousness. Same faces. Same places. Same stories. Nothing ever changes or grows.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote me.

Flag Review
    Hanson Dodge President responded to this review Mar 11, 2014 EditDelete
    Please remember that my door is always open. I want you to have a rewarding experience in your work. And we're counting on you to continue to grow and change. I hope that you'll give me a chance ... More

Passion, thought leadership and fun.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsAt HDC, you'll find a culture that pushes you to be your very best while encouraging a healthy work-life balance. We're surrounded by expert strategists, brilliant creatives, and a team that makes you feel more like family than a coworker. The leadership team that is just as focused on the morale of its employees and clients than the bottom line. I've yet to encounter somebody who would sacrifice quality at any cost - there is a tremendous sense of pride in the agency, which trickles down from Hanson and Dodge themselves.

ConsThere are bumps along the road, as there will be in any workplace. Leadership views our concerns and problems as an opportunity for improvement, and welcomes any input from employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to lead with transparency and maintain your open door policy. Weekly department meetings ensure all voices are heard, and the ability to communicate directly with the leadership team is reassuring.

My roots are planted.

Account Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsHanson Dodge Creative is a place full of creative, intelligent and kind people. It's exciting to be surrounded by people who inspire and challenge me on a daily basis. The way strategy meets creative execution at HDC is powerful and the integrity of the work is unmatched by any other agency I've ever worked for in my 12-year career in the branding/marketing business. In addition to producing smart, impactful work, HDC is a place that treats employees with compassion and respect. The team at HDC is sincerely the most driven, fun, kind and intelligent group of people I have ever worked with.

ConsNo workplace is perfect - we are a large group of people bring our individual strengths to the table and putting them to work for a greater purpose. There are bound to be challenges and bumps along the way. What makes HDC so unique is that concerns are taken seriously. Upper management listens and, more importantly, takes action to solve any problems that may arise. I immensely appreciate this approach to leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to lead with transparency, open-mindedness and compassion. Its one of the reasons I love working at HDC.

A fantastic place to work!

ProsHDC truly cares about employees. The open door policy means there is an open door, to both of the partners' offices. They want to know what employees' think and listen to what they have to say. Open door also means that managers are available to talk through obstacles and be a sounding board. Our internal processes are such that everyone knows what impact they have on the company. There is transparency in where we are and where we want to go. If there is a misstep along the way, there is acknowledgment and then discuss how we are going to do things differently for the next time. Flexibility is part of the vocabulary. There is an understanding that everyone has a life outside of work. If you need to leave early on a Friday, just work more hours earlier in the week and take the time off. The environment is conducive to collaborating with co-workers. It is open concept, casual and relaxed.

ConsI do not have a con. This is a great place to work and I am happy to be a part of this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

No Creative out of Hanson Dodge

Milwaukee, WI

ProsKen Hanson is an amazing guy to be around. A true creative with a spark for understanding how life interacts with art and advertising.

Cons* A place of deception. The clients they show on their website have long fled, with the exception of Trek and a few lesser known.
    * Have gone through tons of leadership training but still can't inspire a group. Their main premise to change the company around was to find people that were like the highest performing individuals that were currently working there and hire more like that. The problem with this is it builds a culture where no one is hired that is going to push anyone.
    * Penalized for not having work to do. When your bonus or your pay increase is based on how much profitable work you are doing and then you can't get assigned work...you are DOA.
    * A culture of "if you have time to lean, then you have time to clean". Creates a culture where managers literally are looking over your shoulder to see what you are doing. Should really be based on work product.
    * Managers, as a whole, don't know how to lead and inspire. They know how to intimidate.
    * Status meetings are focused on $ and profitability not on how we helped a client or why it is a great Monday to be at HDC.
    * Most strategy deliverables are literally cut and paste from previous clients. It leads to a more efficient process but does it lead to a great end result?

Advice to Senior ManagementDear Upper Management, Put some focus on the output of the company. Produce things that are inspiring. The "rocks" idea is a good idea but the spirit and joy have been drained out of the place. The folks in the trenches are clocking in at 8 and fleeing at 5. Most creative shops have a vibrant staff that sticks around to inspire each other...not there. Create a culture that people are inspired to work hard at. A place where you don't have to see when people are clocking in because everyone is trying to out do the other and like being there.

Flag Review
    Hanson Dodge President responded to this review Dec 18, 2013 EditDelete
    At HDC we believe in a few key values: passion, accountability, curiosity and positivity. We also believe in transparency, sharing the good and the bad with the entire team. When we saw this review ... More

Worked for Hanson Dodge? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hanson Dodge reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hanson Dodge CEO Ken Hanson. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Hanson Dodge employees.