Hanson Dodge

Updated August 3, 2014
Updated August 3, 2014
4.1

Ken Hanson

The greatest job I've ever had (and likely ever will).

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time

Pros

The best part of HDC is all the creative and kind people I work with. From the design dept. to billing, almost everyone is an artist, musician, world-traveler and/or athlete. During my time there, I've been inspired by coworkers to try new things that have since become a part of my identity and improved my life; I've made exciting connections in the city's art/music/social scenes; I've made long-term friendships. Those who move on often come back to visit with hugs and smiles, commenting on how their new work environment is not the "family" that HDC was for them.

Although things may get a little frenzied when a deadline looms, in general everyone is very laid-back and genuinely nice. I receive so many thank-yous for doing regular job duties, sometimes it's almost ridiculous!

There are great staff & community events year-round, including things HDC hosts such as catered breakfasts, bi-annual art shows and beer-fueled afternoon parties organized by the staff (with laser tag, dunk tanks, etc.). Also, we like spending time together SO much, extra-curricular activities include sports leagues, weekly happy hour, volunteering together and supporting each others' art and music.

The clients we pursue are ones I can really get behind: active lifestyle, health-related and those focused on sustainable/green lifestyles. We do a lot of great pro-bono for the community, and many employees are heavily involved with community service and activism. Ken Hanson is especially involved and inspiring in that area as of late.

Company structure really allows for transparency and communication. Managers listen to new thoughts & input, and the president's door is always open. Leadership is constantly looking for ways of improving.

Cons

At times I wish we produced some creative work that I could really write home about. It's all quality work, that is certain, but not often the type you'd see going viral or winning accolades at major international design competitions, for example. I admit I'm not a designer myself, but I can still tell the difference between creative that is brilliant vs. standard fare.

Every year or two there is a small round of lay-offs. It's really heart-breaking since we are such a close-knit group. Each time it's happened, I've considered looking for a new job; but it's probably impossible to escape in this industry that ebbs and flows with the amount of client work coming in.

A forward-thinking

I have been working at Hanson Dodge

Pros

Having worked at another advertising agency, I can honestly say that working at Hanson Dodge Creative has been nothing but exceptional. I love the transparency of information. As a company, we meet every week to acknowledge what others have done the week prior, what work was just completed, what awards and pieces of business were just won, etc. It's refreshing to have such great communication throughout the company and it comes from the top down. The company has goals and plans in place to reach those goals. Employees have goals and plans in place to reach those goals. HDC is built on certain values and employees are hired based on those values...and it shows.

Cons

It would be nice if 401K started earlier after start date.

Hanson Dodge Creative is an amazing place to work -- great environment with great people.

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Exceptionally talented and creative colleagues, a strong focus on work/life balance -- work hard and play hard, a healthy focus on active lifestyle including an on-site gym. A beautiful & well-designed, hip environment in a perfect Third Ward location. Very caring leadership supports a strong commitment to the community through things like AIGA WI and Common Ground. I've often been told by former colleagues who left that HDC was their favorite place to work.

Cons

It's hard to think of any cons, other than something that may be common to a lot of branding & marketing firms and the design industry as a whole, which is that the workload is not very consistent -- sometimes too quiet, sometimes too busy, rarely just even. The only other thing I can think of is that a few times, new job descriptions have not been well-baked and tightened up enough, which created a risk of misinterpreted expectations both for the employee and for the firm. (I think this is the unintended result of trying to be open to individuals' strengths and what they have to offer unfolding over time.)

Keep on doing what you've been doing well for over 30 years, stay open and honest and transparent and rewarding of excellent employees with the great environment you've created. Relative to the only cons I could think of above, try to be more clear in job descriptions for some of the more loosely defined roles.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place!

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working at Hanson Dodge Creative full time for more than a year and I continue to enjoy coming to work each day. I am constantly being challenged by my job and my colleagues. I genuinely enjoy the work I do each day and am never bored with the vast array of work I do from week- to- week. The work-life balance is a huge bonus on top of working with an extremely intelligent group of people with a wide diversity of talent. I would recommend Hanson Dodge Creative to anyone in search of a job within the advertising world.

Cons

Like any other workplace, there will be issues to overcome. Our leadership team has done an extraordinary job in listening to any concerns and ensuring that they are heard and managed. This is something that is unique to any other workplace I have been before.

Simply some of the brightest minds and enjoyable people I've worked with, in a great business operation.

Current Employee - Director of Web Strategy  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Director of Web Strategy in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time for less than a year

Pros

The entire agency, to a person, takes responsibility for their continual contribution and superior work product. The internal mantra of 'best idea wins' isn't just lip service, it's born out in every interaction I've experienced, at every level of the organization.

For an agency that excels in branding, marketing and technology, Hanson Dodge Creative has detailed procedures in place to facilitate great brand leadership, client results, and innovative technology. At the same time, every area is open to constructive self-examination for process improvement - and takes action to drive results.

Aside from the obvious perks like flexibility of schedule, great consumer clients (as well as a portfolio of strong B2B), fitness facility and showers, and an open, friendly atmosphere, I've noticed a real drive to succeed and build on success to a person.

Standards are high. There's an open desire for everyone to do their best work, and there is the focus, latitude and humanity of management that make it possible for that to happen. What a great place to work, contribute, succeed and grow!

Cons

This is not a place for the timid, thin-skinned or faint of heart. Vision and growth are pursued with vigor and robust passion. When everyone cares deeply about their work, it fuels strong opinion. It's challenging, but utlimately, fruitful.

As you grow, make sure to foster small, nimble, innovative initiatives in addition to the larger, sustaining creative successes. In doing so, you'll plant the seeds that grow into larger opportunities in time.

Great place to Work!

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time for less than a year

Pros

The three things I like about HDC are the people, pace and the participation. The people are competent and easy-going, the pace is not insane but busy enough to be fun and the participation is creative and respectful.

Cons

We could use a better sense of role definition because so many people can do so many things, we step on each other's feet once in a while.

Keep up the transparency and listening!

Truly care about the work they do, the people they do it with, and the community in which we work and play.

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At HDC the leaders are open, honest and truly seem to care about their employees. The environment they've worked to foster—from the unique, beautiful physical space that, I think, helps breed creativity, to the on-site workout facility, yoga classes, community art shows and thoughtful get-togethers— has created a fun atmosphere where work doesn't always feel like such.

Since arriving, my managers have worked with me to develop a career path that has both challenged me and given me a clear road to success. And I've seen firsthand several senior-level employees showing their willingness to mentor young talent—and those mentors include the partners, Ken and Tim.

To me, there are a few simple reasons why they have managed continued success for over 30 years: they truly care about the work they do, the people they do it with, and the community in which we work and play. And everyone seems committed to always getting better.

Cons

None to write home about. Like any business in this industry, there are bumps along the way to continued improvement. They've provided a pretty good platform to voice any concerns.

Keep it up.

Passion, thought leadership and fun.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time for less than a year

Pros

At HDC, you'll find a culture that pushes you to be your very best while encouraging a healthy work-life balance. We're surrounded by expert strategists, brilliant creatives, and a team that makes you feel more like family than a coworker. The leadership team that is just as focused on the morale of its employees and clients than the bottom line. I've yet to encounter somebody who would sacrifice quality at any cost - there is a tremendous sense of pride in the agency, which trickles down from Hanson and Dodge themselves.

Cons

There are bumps along the road, as there will be in any workplace. Leadership views our concerns and problems as an opportunity for improvement, and welcomes any input from employees.

Continue to lead with transparency and maintain your open door policy. Weekly department meetings ensure all voices are heard, and the ability to communicate directly with the leadership team is reassuring.

ok

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paycheck. The work is steady, but not challenging. Not mentally engaging. I have been at other places that allow and encourage employee growth. Here the upper level seems to want to keep the status quo. I would never say any of this out loud at work. I just don't feel comfortable doing so. I kinda need the job.

Cons

Benefits are ok. Would like more. Doldrums. Ongoing tediousness. Same faces. Same places. Same stories. Nothing ever changes or grows.

Promote me.

Hanson Dodge Response

Mar 11, 2014President

Please remember that my door is always open. I want you to have a rewarding experience in your work. And we're counting on you to continue to grow and change. I hope that you'll give me a chance ... More

My roots are planted.

Current Employee - Account Supervisor  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hanson Dodge Creative is a place full of creative, intelligent and kind people. It's exciting to be surrounded by people who inspire and challenge me on a daily basis. The way strategy meets creative execution at HDC is powerful and the integrity of the work is unmatched by any other agency I've ever worked for in my 12-year career in the branding/marketing business. In addition to producing smart, impactful work, HDC is a place that treats employees with compassion and respect. The team at HDC is sincerely the most driven, fun, kind and intelligent group of people I have ever worked with.

Cons

No workplace is perfect - we are a large group of people bring our individual strengths to the table and putting them to work for a greater purpose. There are bound to be challenges and bumps along the way. What makes HDC so unique is that concerns are taken seriously. Upper management listens and, more importantly, takes action to solve any problems that may arise. I immensely appreciate this approach to leadership.

Please continue to lead with transparency, open-mindedness and compassion. Its one of the reasons I love working at HDC.

Worked for Hanson Dodge? Contribute to the Community!