Hantz Financial Services Reviews

John Hantz

Financial Consultant

Current Employee - Financial Consultant
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant

I have been working at Hantz Financial Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited Salary if you work hard enough, company pays for (Series 7, 66, P/C, LAH, and Variable Annuity licenses), Nice people working around you, Great service model

Cons

working 65 hours a week, sick days are frowned upon no matter how sick you are, only taught to dial (not to actually learn the products or markets), Draw-based compensation, anyone with a degree will be hired (doesn't even have to be business related).

Teach your new guys more than just how to pick up a phone and make dials.

2. The Perfect Example of How NOT to Run an Organization!!! (Must read)

Former Employee - Personal Banker
    Former Employee - Personal Banker

I worked at Hantz Financial Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

First of all, I consider myself very level headed and understanding. I don't write bad reviews on yelp, I don't yell at waitresses or other service providers, and I always tip well...so hopefully that gives you insight to how bad this experience must have been for me to even write this......

The only real pro wasn't even about the company: it happened to be a great commute for me. The people you work with at the peer level are nice, decent folk for the most part.

Cons

Ahem, where to begin? First off, they grossly exaggerate the amount of growth and experience you will get during the on-boarding process. I worked on the bank side, and the initial pay was low, a huge cut from my previous job, and they knew that and still did not budge on the pay.

Specifically to the banking side: the training is non-existent. My first day of work looked like this: oh the lady who was supposed to train you took a sick day, here is this paper manual last revised almost 10 years ago: read through it. My entire 8 hours was spent reading and taking notes, zero engagement or interaction. That was the brunt of my 'two week training'. The most hands-on was doing basic transactions and creating new accounts.

As soon as you log into the system you see how out-dated the software is as well. It is very inefficient, an eye-sore, unorganized, and has zero guidance tutorials from people or machine. A lot of my learning was trial and error especially when it comes to unique transactions, loans, IRAs, etc. and how to process them properly. How do you think it looks as a customer when the teller has not been trained how to work with YOUR money? The go-to fix if you had an issue is call another office and hope to speak to a more tenured teller. You would think something as technical as a bank would have extensive hands on training so that you can look and feel professional.

Another thing is lack of positive reinforcement. If you do something wrong, no matter how new or aware they are that you are new, they immediate belittle you and patronize you as if you're some kind of fool for not instinctively knowing everything about banking and their out-dated systems. Being someone who has a BA degree with honors it was very frustrating.

If you're wondering why I was in this role to begin with I had personal issues to be closer to home hence this job and they promised excellent career growth and pay (which were false).

No management or communication. My boss was always out of the office busting their behind working 12 hour shifts so I rarely seen them. Also, communication among other branches was very shotty. If someone quits, no one mentions it, if someone transfers no one mentions it, if they completely change the pay roll system, no one mentions it to the lady in charge of pay roll!!!??! (True story).

When my manager left (yes they quit)
    I was familiar with the role and was told about it originally during training.

I felt honored to be approached so early about their plan to mold me and promote me and it was a cool feeling. Once I realized how much ridiculous travel was expected and hours to be worked compared to the fixed salary (absolutely fixed to salary so you couldn't get overtime and considering they expected you to work 12 hour shifts who wants to pay out all of that right?), I felt totally tricked and annoyed. I don't like committing to something and backing out; it makes me feel bad, but when they totally leave out important details and intentionally deceive it's hard not to. Let's just say the pay was less than 30k, hours horrible, still no training.

I could honestly I go on but hopefully you get the point.

I went from a job that was completely employee-centric to this job and it was a huge eye-opener. Based on my experience the future looks bleak for this company. The owner only wanted the bank piece to cut out the middle man and increase his profits. Instead of taking advantage of this great opportunity to start with a fresh, brand-new bank and the endless marketing strategies for how to differentiate it, he decided to invest as little as humanly possible, just enough to keep the bank running (very very evident). There is zero care for employees, poor company vision and even worse group morale.

My advice would be to stop being so frugal on something so key as the bank piece and invest in updated systems and more comprehensive training. There is a very obvious reason the turnover rate is so pathetically high with this company: extremely low pay per work expectancy, zero guidance, zero direction. The company is very 'I, me' and almost no team aspect.

The brightside: I now have a great experience and insight of how to not run a business.

3. Mortgage Processor

I have been working at Hantz Financial Services

Pros

Relaxed environment. Just get the experience then look for better opportunity.

Cons

No pay, no growth, terrible benefits, company does not care about the employees. Just pile work on you. Bad management communication.

Terrific Career

I have been working at Hantz Financial Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will have great opportunities here if you put in the effort. Very positive overall work environment. Excellent non-stop training, especially for those starting their career. The compensation upside is virtually unlimited Senior leadership cares about getting young employees established.

Cons

If you want a low stress 40 hour a week job, this is not the place for you (nothing wrong with that). Compensation is low and hours are long in the early years, however the training you receive in return pays in itself. Benefits leave something to be desired.

Keep trying to find new ways to market. Invest more in technology to help employees be more efficient.

6. It was ok

I have been working at Hantz Financial Services

Pros

if you're stupid, you'll still be able to make a lot of money

Cons

Their idea of making a lot of money is pathetic, especially for the work you would have to put into it. You would be better off starting your own business.

Too young to know better.

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Southfield, MI

I worked at Hantz Financial Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I justify my time spent here as equivalent to a paid internship. The learning was good but you MUST be strong enough to avoid getting sucked into the cult. That is a very serious remark! Unfortunately many good people are still there waiting for the dream to come true.

Cons

This is a very low paying job. They will tell you that it will pay off after 5 years but I assure you that other jobs pay off faster. They will tell you that you have unlimited upside potential and that other careers will only offer 3% raises annually....not at all true. Nearly all other companies will offer paid training, mileage reimbursement, tuition reimbursement, and limitless advancement. If you do work there now....the grass IS greener on the other side!!

John, if you do want to be a great....be a great man for your people and not just yourself.

Avoid it like you would avoid a heroin addict

Former Employee - Support Staff in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Southfield, MI

I worked at Hantz Financial Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some people are very pleasant to work with and yes, option to learn exists. But for the same amount of stress you could easily go into numerous other Michigan located organizations and do much better. But now that I think about it, what you learn at Hantz Financial Services isn't really the investment industry, you just learn their systems and a way of managing workflow. In other words, knowledge isn't transferable, but licenses are.

Cons

You will get treated like a cockroach. If you do something good you'll get silence if you'll do something bad you'll know about it immediately and repeatedly. Management does not care about its employees whether salaried or commissioned. The thin lipped middle managers are kiss-uppers and kick-downers, they are loyal to both Johns and are brainwashed to no end. You can see this by how horrid their personalities are. I am not bitter, but in few short months I've picked up on certain points which are inescapable even to the most psychologically strong individual.

The Enterprise system is pure garbage, whoever manages it has zero knowledge about ease of use, intuitive UI, reducing clicks per actionable item to achieve efficiency, speed, and implementing various sorting tools.

There is a reason these guys are cheap to clients - they are the Wal-Mart of investing, pure and simple. Plus the unethical thing (and if you're a client take a note), they will take your business book from you if you should depart and depart you will.

Furthermore, as many have stated, you must take a loan to get your licensing, but you have to do as part of your employment. Thus, unless you got the couple of thousand in the bank, be aware that you're signing your life away for a year. So you really have to debate the ethics of this business, but I'm sorry, the financial planning business and ethics, even if its ethics strictly related to employee treatment, go hand in hand. If you're a client, would you readily work with a company that treats its employees with zero appreciation and respect?

Waste of time, it's like talking to a brick wall, the people in positions of power are either brainwashed or are set in their ways. The motivational speakers they got there are full of baloney. Only thing that will teach them is the absence of business due to the poor reputation when it comes to employee treatment.

Over worked, under paid.

I have been working at Hantz Financial Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Experience...learn whether this is the field for you or not.

Cons

Under paid, not properly trained. workload is massive, expected to learn a lot in a short period of time. It is expected of you to NOT make it.

Treat new employees better and I am sure they will stay and care more

Good place to start a career but definitely not the place to continue in the long term

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Southfield, MI

I worked at Hantz Financial Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good mentors, that is if you are lucky enough to get one.

Cons

Very cold work environment, not many people to help you around. Pretty depressing office environment as well.
    Long work hours, you put it in way too much effort for the salary that you get paid

Pay the employers more salary, better benefits, ease on the work hours.

This place is only for single people. Married people should NOT apply!!!!!

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Southfield, MI

I worked at Hantz Financial Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot. Training does mean a lot.... so if you have no choice, and this company is your only option, then soak up the knowledge. They have their act together, for the most part, but treating their employees like valued assets is virtually non-existent.

Cons

This company has so much going for it, however, their mistreatment of their people are their downfall. My comments below center around poor morale. Upper and middle management haven't learned the importance of building loyal employees. Appreciated employees become loyal employees become very productive employees. Management has yet to learn that.

Never expect any positive kudos, no matter how hard you work or how much business you bring in.

Cult like atmosphere. If you don't drink the Kool-Aid, you are better off going elsewhere. Trust me, you will be happier.

Colleagues are unprofessional towards each other. Very condescending and rude.

I witnessed some of the most unprofessional staff meetings I have ever attended. Management openly ridicules staff constantly regardless if they are in the room or not.

Your first five years, you are making money for someone else, and not for you. That is a long time....!!!!!

Sick time and vacation time are a cultural NO NO.

You pay 100% for most of your benefits.

If you are a husband, don't let your wife work here. Way too much philandering going on. Way too much. If she does take a position there, get an attorney on retainer. Sexual harassment is abundant there. Seriously. This needs to be known. This isn't slanderous, this is fact.
    If you are hired to sell commercial insurance, employee benefits or 401k plans....... RUN!!!!! You will be the piss-ants of the company.

A lot of great people have walked through the Hantz doors and their constant mistreatment and belittling of them have caused them to leave. The Hantz Group should be five times bigger than what it is. If you go there, learn as much as you can, and get out as soon as it is personally feasible. The training may be good, but there are other organizations in Michigan just as effective. Hantz needs to appreciate the staff they have. It is cheaper keeping quality people than having a revolving door.