Harbor Freight Tools

Harbor Freight Tools Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt

Eric Smidt

Pros:
  • "Paid time off and sick time, health insurance for full timers"
    in 16 reviews
  • "pto/sick time for part time employees"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Plenty of turnover in upper management/executive level at the corporate office"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Expected you to sell a high percentage of extended warranties and inside track club memberships which people didn't want"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A terrible company to work for.

Merchandiser (Former Employee)
    Fayetteville, GA

ProsNot many but I worked with some great co-workers and made some good friends while employed there.

ConsToo numerous. The pay was slightly above minimum wage and the work was very demanding and hard (heavy lifting, over night shifts, shoddy equipment and supplies), store management and corporate was mostly uncaring and out of touch, my store was usually understaffed (partly because of a high turnover rate), a horrible work culture and the customers were the worst I've ever dealt with

Advice to Senior ManagementStart all over. As in from scratch.

Stay Away!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe are no pros with this company

ConsCheapest and worst company ever!! They pay their employees minimum wage and expect way more. The products are junk that they sell. The customer base is rude. I thought this would have been a great company to work for when I started but I was wrong. A lot of turn over from management down to sales associates. Everyone is expected to push all of these programs I'm not sure how this company has survived as long as it has.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times!! Install better and more updated software in your computers and starting paying your employees maybe you'll have less turn over and actually have people come to work that care about their jobs.

Harbor Freight Tools HR Liason responded to this review Jul 7, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback about areas where we can improve. We have to say, though, we disagree on a number of points. Harbor Freight's' customers are loyal and ... More

Insufficient Training, Invest In Newer Technology, Messy Upper Management!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe manager was nice and I can appreciate the simplicity of the uniforms which is comfortable attire. Would be good for part time . Wouldn't work full time here EVER!

ConsMessy management in all fields, poor training , ANCIENT technology, limited resources, lots of confusion on what to do, not enough hours. I was put in a position of using a register from the 70's which was so manual that It requires to remember so many codes and they weren't training me sufficiently. Needless to say I QUIT and so did many others.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest into 21 st century technology instead of continually opening failing stores with terrible management. Get better lead cashiers so the new hires can learn there new positions.

Harbor Freight Tools HR Liason responded to this review Jun 24, 2014 EditDelete
    We're glad to hear you enjoyed working under your manager and found Harbor Freight Tools' work attire comfortable. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. Should you decide ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No diversity company

District Executive Manager (Current Employee)
    Western Addition, CA

ProsPay is OK. Bonus is good if the VP is in a good mood the say bonuses are cut.

ConsCulture is all men. Women in management are not given the same opportunities.
    They talk about strip clubs and sports 24/7. Occasionally they will talk about fine dining and wine to act as though I'm there and they want me to engage, but it's a façade.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many of you snicker behind peoples back and we know it. The culture here is getting worse. No respect for anyone but the good old boys.

Harbor Freight Tools HR Liason responded to this review Jul 3, 2014 EditDelete
    Harbor Freight has female employees in management and executive positions throughout the company. We value your input and feel strongly about your feelings in the workplace. If you'd like to share ... More

Stop pushing name collection and ITCs

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

Pros(At least in my store)
    -Pretty fun co-workers
    -Get good hours
    -Opportunity for commission
    -PTO and sick time for part-time

Cons-Too much pressure trying to sell ITCs. Why would I try to sell a membership to someone when their information doesn't stay in the computer, their cards don't take coupons off automatically, and half the time they don't receive their ITC flyers.
    -Too much pressure with name collection. Most people are in a rush and don't want to stand in line for twenty minutes because the cashiers have to go through five phone numbers then have the customers, who generally write extremely slow, fill out a card.
    -No training. You get one maybe half a shift with someone showing you what do then you are on your own.
    -Doesn't take care of managers when they are out of line. Some managers treat the employees and customers like crap but nothing is done to them because they have been there for a long time.
    -Company doesn't stand behind their policies. If you say no returns without a receipt, uphold the policy. Too many times have I has customers get angry with me and yell at me because I wouldn't do a return but then management comes and does it. This makes the cashiers look like fools. Management need to stands behind policies and their employees.
    -Too much is expected out of a cut staff. You can not think that cutting payroll and having two people close is good for the business. You work your staff to death and then they leave.
    -High turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with free coupons. The free coupons cause stores to have bad sales because all people want are free stuff. Stand behind your policies and your employees. Stop cutting payroll and then expecting more out of the few employees left.

Harbor Freight Tools HR Liason responded to this review Jun 20, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed the people you worked with, your hours, perks and benefits. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve and we're ... More

Nightmare

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsIts a pay check with benefits if you are a manager. The potential for growth and success exists. But current management is clueless.

ConsThe worst retail operation I have experienced in 30+ years of professional experience in the industry. Routinely asked to perform tasks for which little (but more often NO) training has been given.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers how to properly train their employees. Cleanliness standards do not exist. Operational policies routinely ignored.

Harbor Freight Tools HR Liason responded to this review Jun 12, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific information, please feel free to reach out to your HR manager or anonymously call our HFT Outlet Hotline ... More

Poor Business Model and No Clear Direction

Retail Associate, Cashier (Current Employee)
    Casper, WY

ProsDepending on Management situation it can be a great place to work. The employees all know each other and feel like family.

ConsThey lack in many aspects of their business model. The Corporate leaders are obsessed with selling Inside Track Club Memberships which has a lot of flaws such as the purchasers inability to receive the flyers they signed up to receive. They also Obsess over selling their Extended Service Plans which aren't worth the money for certain products. These are the only things the company seems to care about. They have certain stores in districts and the Districts are run by District Managers. There are Some District Managers that are just cold and heartless towards their store managers and the Employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange up your business practices. I remember the days when Extended Service Plans would change with the sale price of the product not be set at a certain price and for certain products that cost the exact same price as a brand new product.

Do not expect a work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPTO accrual is great. DM fostered great relationships within team. Promotion opportunities exist. SM bonuses are pretty great. Commissions are available for people who push themselves.

ConsSM are expected to be on call 24/7, and accessible to their staff at all times. Corporate pushes more and more programs on the stores, yet they continue to tighten the payroll belt. Burn out is high. New POS system bogs down after 20 items, corporate solution is to break up the transaction into a bunch of little transactions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate: STOP with the info gathering. Just stop. Unless you're going to add payroll to manage the lines while your cashiers have to ask the customers twelve different questions.

Expect youbto jump through hoops

Assistant Pricing Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Racine, WI

ProsMy co-workers & store manager are the only reason I am still there.

ConsCorporate expects the employees to jump through hoops like we are in the circus. They want so many things done & sales to stay high with no payroll hours to work with & no crew. No way possible to get full time hours unless your management.

learn to take alot of crap from customers

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Montclair, CA

ProsGreat chances at increasing pay through commissions off of warranties and memberships.

ConsTerrible customers and overrall lack of harmony with co-workers.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees better with pto and better commission on sales

Worked for Harbor Freight Tools? Contribute to the Community!

Harbor Freight Tools Videos

Harbor Freight Tools – Why Work for Us?

In 1977, Harbor Freight Tools had a mission to make it easier for working people to get the best value possible on top-quality tools they could trust. Now, more than 35 years later, that mission has made Harbor Freight… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harbor Freight Tools reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt . All 281 reviews posted anonymously by Harbor Freight Tools employees.