Harbor Freight Tools

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt

Pros
  • The company is growing at the rate of 50 stores per year (in 12 reviews)

• Paid time off accrues quickly, spiff program pays well (ESP part atleast) (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Mistreatment of employees by upper management and irregular working hours (in 27 reviews)

• Should improve inside track club and add a rewards program (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

From my perspective as a new hire

Current Employee - Other in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Other in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than an year)

Pros

These are a few things I have noticed in my few months working at HFT
    flexible schedule, new challenges, great customers, fast paced, ability to move up if you want it (if you show you can do it and you do want it) I have moved up positions in 3 months because I show I want it and can do it :-). thanks for the opportunity. ( IF YOU WANT THE JOB DO THE JOB DONT WAIT FOR HANDOUTS)
    management does listen if you present your issue in a comprehensive way but making snide remarks in passing will get you nothing. I love it here at HFT

Cons

shift management between areas seem to be at war and the first day I worked I was told that this was a backward company and everyone is looking for a new job so don't show them you can work hard or you will be used and abused with nothing in return, avoid upper management and regional management cause they will blame you for everything (isn't that the point if you fail to be called on it so you know what to improve?) to me this is a personal problem that they seem to have with their own experiences but don't let that stop you, theft seems to be and issue but probably more to do with poor inventory management on all shifts like day blaming night and night blaming day for the count of an item being off and no one wanting to take the blame so they fudge the numbers till it becomes an even bigger problem although I am sure employee theft is happening but without proof this is speculation,

my overall opinion is that leadership is lacking and employees are not taking responsibility for there own actions this is not a company caused issue any more than its a personal caused issue do to area managers not working together

(YOUR A TEAM ACT LIKE IT AND GROW UP YOUR ALL ADULTS)

Don't be so cynical and blame the company for your failure to manage its your fault for not fallowing through on your responsibility remember failure runs up and down .
     its unfair to group an entire company for a few people taking advantage of others,
    I work hard and in return get my due so to see a lot of you complain about things you are the cause of is laughable believe me when I say this its your fault for allowing your people to fail.

Eye opening.

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Ability to develop self sufficient skills
    -Fast paced
    -Transparrent enviornment
    -Ability to earn extra money
    -opportunity to strive (as long as you're a self motivated, passionate employee)

Cons

-Should operate on 6% payroll instead of "5.0" and have a set amount of new employee training hours on top of that, both to improve quality of service to customers and to give new employees more time to complete online training courses
    -Should improve inside track club and add a rewards program

-Focus more on sales programs
    -Focus more on development of employees who have talent
    -Scheduling fairly, and to peak hours

Some good

Current Employee - Cashier in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun job good crew fun customers store management is great. Todd and John are the best. What can you say about Jen?

Cons

Upper level management is clueless they obviously have NEVER worked in a harbor freight store before and they panic at the drop of a hat

Plesse learn how to make schedules. Do not panic!

District Manager

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Growth is outstanding ...

Cons

No major Issues what so ever...

Keep doing what you've been doing

Budget products with deals to keep you going back.

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Employee discount on products within store.

Cons

Budget quality on select items.

Inside track club members should.not have to present their coupon for the member discounted price. $30 for a membership per year and you should only verify with card sku number matched with customer name on I.d.

Harbor freight tools rocks!

Current Employee - Cashier in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Longview, TX

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work! You are treated like a human being and family. When your manager makes you feel like YOU make a difference in the company, it makes me feel great!

Cons

Hourly pay, and flexing on hours :(

To give incentives for the employees who never call off and never late emplyees. We should get a quarterly bonus if we meet our goals in spifs and or ITC's. I don't expect to get rich, but acknowledgment would really be awesome! Probably not going to happen but it never hurts to ask! :) have a fantastic day!

Absolutely Amazing...

Current Employee - District Manager in Saddle Brook, NJ
    Current Employee - District Manager in Saddle Brook, NJ

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Focused operating model, No egos in senior management, and all leaders have the same common goal. The company is determined to provide it's customers a great product at an amazingly low price. The companies focus on the associates has improved and has provided associates the opportunity to grow if they are willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Company needs to continue challenging underperformers.

Continue growing and staying true to the companies values. Grow, grow, and grow some more. We are ready for the challenge.

Best job I've had; it's what YOU make of it.

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Turnersville, NJ
    Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Turnersville, NJ

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Expectations are kept reasonable and attainable. If everyone puts forth 100% effort, you should see success and growth in all areas. Management team (at least at my location) is effective, and works well together despite frequently butting heads over details. The health benefits are pretty sweet, for a retail position, and won't break the bank either. Definitely opportunity for advancement if you make the extra effort; they're not just going to hand you promotions. Processes, for the most part, make sense and are able to be implemented easily and efficiently. Customer base is, for the most part, pleasant to deal with. Company seems to invest itself in its employees, certainly more so than any other company I've worked with. Overall, the atmosphere is pleasant and relaxed.

Cons

Free items are a headache and a half. Pricing system is time consuming and convoluted at current; I've been hearing rumors of an update in the works, and desperately hope it's true. Number/name collection can cause friction with customers, especially in case of returns: people don't want to give their numbers out anymore. Planograms are designed poorly on paper, even if the concept behind them is usually great. Most of that comes from skewed product proportions and sizes. As with any retail position, if your management team takes a less than desirable approach towards... well... management, then you're not going to have a good time. While my managers are great, I've heard horror stories about some of the other locations, where favoritism and commission rigging/theft run rampant. Happy to say I can't personally attest to those. Also as with any retail job, if you're going to make your location succeed, you're inevitably going to have to pick up others' slack. I can say that we have a couple of people at my location who have a terrible attitude and work ethic that we often have to pick up slack for, who are allowed to stay on because their add-on percentages are high. Also, on trucks, the state of the shipments are often deplorable. Heavy items stacked on top of light items, unstable-looking, packaging crushed and torn. Definitely a little questionable, but as long as you pay attention and follow protocol, you're usually fine.

In the future, if you have a store that is opening in an area that shares a zipcode with another area, please listen to the employees for that new store, who know what town you're actually in. You lose business if customers can't find you because they're looking in the wrong town, which has been a recurring problem for my location. Other than that, I suppose just consider the points I addressed in the "cons" section... specifically about truck. As a small female, it can get a little scary facing off against a leaning tower of power tools, especially when they have fallen in the past.

I've been here for a year and a half and I loved it…Good Company and great growth. Top performers excel

Current Employee - Data Operations Manager in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Data Operations Manager in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

• High growth, high opportunity environment.
    • New management that understand the business and are committed to providing a top-tier working environment with work-life-balance.
    • State-of-the-art Technology platform…
            - Multiple recently implemented applications with road maps to support growth.
            - Great opportunity to grow with the company and the technology.
    • Solid and proven business model.
    • Ability to drive change and all levels within the organization.
            - Very flat organization.
    • Continuous improvement is valued and rewarded.

Cons

• It takes a highly motivated, passionate and talented individual to thrive in this environment.
    • If you’re not motivated, passionate and talented you won’t be as successful as you could be.

• Keep doing what you’re doing and continue the rapid and controlled growth of the company

Harbor Freight Tools- Growing Company with an Exciting Future!

Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent leadership team with solid plan for company success and growth. Company cares about their employees and customers. Customer service is #1 priority with products that you can stand behind. If you are looking for an amazing company to grow with- Harbor Freight Tools is the one. It starts at the top with Eric Smidt (CEO). He is extremely involved and his care for our company is evident every day.

Cons

Extremely faced paced growing company- constant positive challenge to find top notch employees.

My advice to my management team: Constantly look inward and focus on creating a great work enviroment where everyone can make significant contributions to our success.

Harbor Freight Tools Photos