Harbor Freight Tools

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt

Pros
  • The company is growing at the rate of 50 stores per year (in 12 reviews)

• Paid time off accrues quickly, spiff program pays well (ESP part atleast) (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Mistreatment of employees by upper management and irregular working hours (in 27 reviews)

• Should improve inside track club and add a rewards program (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

All About The Store

Former Employee - Sales/Warehouse + Certified Fork Lift Driver in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales/Warehouse + Certified Fork Lift Driver in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools (more than an year)

Pros

Work is super easy so long your not fat and lazy.

Cons

Part time only crap. Expect anywhere from 5 - 20 hours. Depending on, Sales day to day of that current store, how hard you work, Sale events like the side walk sales and tent sale crap.
    They will expect 200% out of you most of the time for minimum wage when you have a large general knowledge on stuff they sell.
    They have a total of 7 Items that are American made. Rest is out source and CHINA CRAP.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR FROM THIS COMPANY.

They force you to sell ESP's EXTENDED SERVICE PLANS Or what they call replacement guarantees

If your a cashier you have to make 100$ in ESP AND ITC sales

Not really Advice to Management more like to CEOS and Company heads. Stop being such greedy turds. Could sue for half the crap that happened when i worked there.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Dec 9, 2014HR Liason

We appreciate your input, although we're sorry that you were unable to find anything positive to say about the company, co-workers, benefits, vacation, etc. We're also concerned about your takeaway ... More

Bad management

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the subject matter product and helping customers out also while being able to learn about useful things and the people besides management were very good people.

Cons

Rude, disrespectful, and smart mouthed management. Had one assistant manager that ruined everything about the job. Corporate policies have unrealistic expectations on minimum waged part time employees or at least at the store I worked at did. Every time I worked it was almost guaranteed that I would be asked to stay over. I worked for five months at hft and during the time I worked there 11 people either got fired or quit because of just the miserable atmosphere that job had.

What's with all the 6/14 reviews?

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Great place to work; dress code, nice customers, that's all

Cons

never enough staffing to get work done and help customers. and--- what's with all the five star reviews from DMs on and around 6/14? either the same person wrote multiple reviews or all the DMs sat around at a meeting trying to figure out how to raise the overall star rating.

Not the most glamorous job, but not bad at all for a part-time retail job.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good overall business model
    Casual dress code (Jeans and shorts allowed!)
    Even part time employees get benefits such as paid time off and 401k!
    Management and coworkers, atleast in my store are friendly and easy to get along with.
    Always something to do, no standing around and being bored.
    The company likes to promote from within and encourages and makes it easy for employees to apply for promotions.
    Stores close at a reasonable time. (9pm M-S and 6pm on Sundays)

Cons

Sometimes having to go in to work real early in the morning or work till really late at night.
    Some occasional overnights may be required but it's not too bad.
    Stores tend to be in seedy parts of town.
    Micromanagement from corporate.
    If you are not comfortable with heavy lifting then this is not the place for you.

Merchandise management procedures can be a little smoother but overall I enjoy working here

From my perspective as a new hire

Current Employee - Other in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Other in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than an year)

Pros

These are a few things I have noticed in my few months working at HFT
    flexible schedule, new challenges, great customers, fast paced, ability to move up if you want it (if you show you can do it and you do want it) I have moved up positions in 3 months because I show I want it and can do it :-). thanks for the opportunity. ( IF YOU WANT THE JOB DO THE JOB DONT WAIT FOR HANDOUTS)
    management does listen if you present your issue in a comprehensive way but making snide remarks in passing will get you nothing. I love it here at HFT

Cons

shift management between areas seem to be at war and the first day I worked I was told that this was a backward company and everyone is looking for a new job so don't show them you can work hard or you will be used and abused with nothing in return, avoid upper management and regional management cause they will blame you for everything (isn't that the point if you fail to be called on it so you know what to improve?) to me this is a personal problem that they seem to have with their own experiences but don't let that stop you, theft seems to be and issue but probably more to do with poor inventory management on all shifts like day blaming night and night blaming day for the count of an item being off and no one wanting to take the blame so they fudge the numbers till it becomes an even bigger problem although I am sure employee theft is happening but without proof this is speculation,

my overall opinion is that leadership is lacking and employees are not taking responsibility for there own actions this is not a company caused issue any more than its a personal caused issue do to area managers not working together

(YOUR A TEAM ACT LIKE IT AND GROW UP YOUR ALL ADULTS)

Don't be so cynical and blame the company for your failure to manage its your fault for not fallowing through on your responsibility remember failure runs up and down .
     its unfair to group an entire company for a few people taking advantage of others,
    I work hard and in return get my due so to see a lot of you complain about things you are the cause of is laughable believe me when I say this its your fault for allowing your people to fail.

Terrible place

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

PTO, Health Benefits, employees were nice to work with

Cons

Cheapest company that I have ever worked for. They treat their employees very unfair the pay is terrible. You are expected to unload trucks and put it all away in a timely manor while trying to help customer and run register. Very high turn over! Customer clientele is as cheap as the products they sell. I would stay away from HFT!!

Take some time and pay attention to how the other big box retailers Handel the business on a day to day basis you may learn a few things and have less turn over!!!

Awful place to work

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Billings, MT

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, Sick Pay and call in whenever you want without ever losing your job.

Cons

Been there three years. The pay is not good and unrealistic expectations. Employees don't care and are only there to collect a paycheck. It's only good for someone who doesn't have a job and needs one.

Take some responsibility and be accountable. You get paid decent to do your job and not pass the buck.

Eye opening.

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Ability to develop self sufficient skills
    -Fast paced
    -Transparrent enviornment
    -Ability to earn extra money
    -opportunity to strive (as long as you're a self motivated, passionate employee)

Cons

-Should operate on 6% payroll instead of "5.0" and have a set amount of new employee training hours on top of that, both to improve quality of service to customers and to give new employees more time to complete online training courses
    -Should improve inside track club and add a rewards program

-Focus more on sales programs
    -Focus more on development of employees who have talent
    -Scheduling fairly, and to peak hours

Retail Cashier

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Gresham, OR

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment at the store I worked at was good for a part time job. Benefits are an added benefit including PTO and the option to add into 401K.

Cons

Hours can be hard to get as they will not allow enough to get benefits you will be looking at 15 to 25 depending on the week and store.

Offer extra pay for employees working overnight.

Tremendous profit on the backs of underpaid, overworked employees

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

PTO for part timers. That's it at all levels.

Cons

Work life balance is a joke. Given that full time employees and managers are expected to be available for ANY shift 24/7, and the company OFTEN requires tasking done off hours, there is absolutely no work life balance. It isn't unheard of to open one day, come back the same for a close to 3 AM shift, come back the next day for another over nighter, and then work through the weekend.

The company has some high standards and ideals. No one really cares about this or tries to genuinely implement them. Field support from DM above is of the "get it done but don't tell me how" mentality. Supporting and developing employees is encouraged only on paper. One of the company's core values is "Do the right thing." Ironic considering that most managers, DMs, and everyone on up to the very top is shady as all heck.

Managers are expected to work their employees to the bone. When I first started I was actually given the advice "schedule them [employees] for all the dirty work. if they don't like it, hire another person." This mentality explains the 60-80% turnover (depending on your area of the US.

Last but not least, the pay is terrible. Anyone below a manager is getting just above minimum wage. Managers are paid "decently" but rely so heavily on bonusing that all sorts of dirty, shady practices are used in the name of getting that bonus.

There is no real advice to give to top management since all the issues start there. How can you tell a privately owned company to change when the owner himself sets or approves the policies? I can only say that after having worked here for almost a year now, my view is that this company considers its employees a commodity to be used and then tossed aside. Advice? Try actually caring about how your policies affect the HUMAN BEINGS working for you.

Harbor Freight Tools Response

Dec 9, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your input. We appreciate your candor, but we're concerned about some of the points you've made. It's important to Harbor Freight that the work environment is positive and productive ... More

Harbor Freight Tools Photos