Harbor Freight Tools

Employer Engaged

Well Rounded

Current Employee - Pricing Coordinator in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Pricing Coordinator in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

paid vacation, sick time, commissions for part timers. Ability to move up in the company easily.

Cons

Some typical retail issues, customers not knowing what they want and expecting us to have it.

Make sure there are no micro managers in the store that can bring a team down.

Good/bad

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Amazing schedule flexibility ask off get off.
    Good pay starting at 8 bucks

Cons

No way to move up unless someone quits

More positions

Leadership positions are paid unfairly

Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Great store great customers. Company works well with flexibility

Cons

Company relies heavily on selling protection plans on most tools and gets in the way heavily of doing your job with customers

Pay your leadership team ex...head cashier ,assistant head cashier a better rate of pay for the responsibilities that are expected of them! After I was hired on I read reviews that these positions had the highest turnover rate for my area and now I know why!

Awesome company to work for always have something to do always busy at all times.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Downey, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Downey, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers great management cool environment to work in..paid holidays vacation and sick time.

Cons

Short breaks only 1 10 minute in 8 hour shift..

Need Crooss training for driffrent areas for all associates.

Better when it was in Camarillo

Former Employee - IT Function in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - IT Function in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

When HFT was in Camarillo under the old regime it was a bit unorganized but a great place to work with people that had been there since company started 1968. They offer 2 weeks vacation from scratch and good benefits. Pay is typically a bit low but one can quickly advance if working hard.

Cons

Now when company is in Calabasas it is more cut-throat and hard work. Most of the executives and many good-with-people managers were all fired to leave room for a new generation of outsourcing and cut-throat approach. Some IT people on salary were made to work mandatory Saturdays and long days without any extra compensation. You may have 3 managers in one year as people are getting hired/fired right and left. Some people were fired after 25 years without even a thank you.

Go back to be more of the people's company in the same spirit as the stores and customers expect and bring back hot dog day. Happy employees is what made this company so great. Now it's becoming just another Walmart.

Love my job!

Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier in Port St Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier in Port St Lucie, FL

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The crew I work with is amazing! Like a family

Cons

The pay is not enough to live on

Floor Clerk

Former Employee - Store Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work!! Excellent management!! Great teacher and mentors. They really push you to succeed....

Cons

Bad store location. Low sale at certain times of the year which would cut into working hours!!

Try to the district manager to work with store managers and store staff!! Every store is different!!

Not your typical retailer

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Not a bad retailer to work for. More laid back than most of the big box retailers.

Cons

Used to give all major holidays off and took them away. Inside Track isn't that good of a bargain.

Put some hours back in your stores, stop selling household things that truly are not relevant to being a tool store, I.e. Kites,puzzles, dog toys.

Retail Cashier. I worked the cash registers and also helped customers find items in the store.

Former Employee - Retail Cashier in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Cashier in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I liked working there because they were a very busy business and it made the time go by really fast. Also the place was full of things to do while on your shift so there was never any down time. I also liked working with the different customers and making them feel welcome and also helping them with finding items in the store.

Cons

The challenges of working there are how busy it is and how you have to multitask everyday. You have to be able to answer the phones while cashing people out at the registers and it can become really overwhelming. Also they didn't really give a lot of hours to work with so that was a downfall.

Some advice to the management would be to don't cut peoples hours right before christmas because that's when people desparately need money. Also if you know a manager is stealing ESP's you should immediately fire them so that it does not happen to anyone else. Make sure you don't just leave one person on the register while its busy just so you can not do anything else.

Dishonest company and hard work

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austintown, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austintown, OH

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Able to work in one location and some of your fellow employees are very nice.

Cons

Stores are poorly staffed,upper management morals lacking,and expected to physically carry and handle very heavy motors,cranes,etc. You are expected to go to other stores and physically build and merchandise them with half of the help inexperienced and just taking up time and space and not really joining in building the store.

Staff your stores'have managers that have high morals and ethics and district managers that have backbone and appreciate their assistant managers and trainees.

Harbor Freight Tools Photos