Harbor Freight Tools

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt

Pros
  • The company is growing at the rate of 50 stores per year (in 12 reviews)

• Paid time off accrues quickly, spiff program pays well (ESP part atleast) (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Mistreatment of employees by upper management and irregular working hours (in 27 reviews)

• Should improve inside track club and add a rewards program (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Awful place to work

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Billings, MT

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, Sick Pay and call in whenever you want without ever losing your job.

Cons

Been there three years. The pay is not good and unrealistic expectations. Employees don't care and are only there to collect a paycheck. It's only good for someone who doesn't have a job and needs one.

Take some responsibility and be accountable. You get paid decent to do your job and not pass the buck.

Eye opening.

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Ability to develop self sufficient skills
    -Fast paced
    -Transparrent enviornment
    -Ability to earn extra money
    -opportunity to strive (as long as you're a self motivated, passionate employee)

Cons

-Should operate on 6% payroll instead of "5.0" and have a set amount of new employee training hours on top of that, both to improve quality of service to customers and to give new employees more time to complete online training courses
    -Should improve inside track club and add a rewards program

-Focus more on sales programs
    -Focus more on development of employees who have talent
    -Scheduling fairly, and to peak hours

Retail Cashier

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Gresham, OR

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment at the store I worked at was good for a part time job. Benefits are an added benefit including PTO and the option to add into 401K.

Cons

Hours can be hard to get as they will not allow enough to get benefits you will be looking at 15 to 25 depending on the week and store.

Offer extra pay for employees working overnight.

Unorganized, unfriendly, corporate only mantality.

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

Hours, employees, discounts, dicount discount.

Cons

Horrible upper management and owner is incompetent

Work the stores before you become upper management

Tremendous profit on the backs of underpaid, overworked employees

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools

Pros

PTO for part timers. That's it at all levels.

Cons

Work life balance is a joke. Given that full time employees and managers are expected to be available for ANY shift 24/7, and the company OFTEN requires tasking done off hours, there is absolutely no work life balance. It isn't unheard of to open one day, come back the same for a close to 3 AM shift, come back the next day for another over nighter, and then work through the weekend.

The company has some high standards and ideals. No one really cares about this or tries to genuinely implement them. Field support from DM above is of the "get it done but don't tell me how" mentality. Supporting and developing employees is encouraged only on paper. One of the company's core values is "Do the right thing." Ironic considering that most managers, DMs, and everyone on up to the very top is shady as all heck.

Managers are expected to work their employees to the bone. When I first started I was actually given the advice "schedule them [employees] for all the dirty work. if they don't like it, hire another person." This mentality explains the 60-80% turnover (depending on your area of the US.

Last but not least, the pay is terrible. Anyone below a manager is getting just above minimum wage. Managers are paid "decently" but rely so heavily on bonusing that all sorts of dirty, shady practices are used in the name of getting that bonus.

There is no real advice to give to top management since all the issues start there. How can you tell a privately owned company to change when the owner himself sets or approves the policies? I can only say that after having worked here for almost a year now, my view is that this company considers its employees a commodity to be used and then tossed aside. Advice? Try actually caring about how your policies affect the HUMAN BEINGS working for you.

Dec 9, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your input. We appreciate your candor, but we're concerned about some of the points you've made. It's important to Harbor Freight that the work environment is positive and productive ... More

Assistant Cashier

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time

Pros

The job itself was very easy

Cons

company values
    horrible management
    they don't work with your school schedule
    horrible pay

Dec 9, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your input We're glad to hear you found your job to be easy, and hope you also enjoyed working with your co-workers. We really do value our retail staff and strive to make their working ... More

One of of worst places I have worked. Be prepared to gain weight from stress and work really long hours

Current Employee - Management in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay, company tries to have a health awareness program

Cons

This review is for the corporate work environment in Calabasas.

You work really long hours and your boss doesn't thank you. instead encourages you to kiss senior managements butt especially the owners. There is a really weird kool aid drinking culture where all senior management hang on to the owners every word and then expect you to hold on to their every word like its gold. I've literally been told that its a privilege for me to even be in the presence of the owner, Eric. *barfs*

Eric is really not a bad guy, so i don't know where this butt kissing culture stems from, but its terrible.

I think your experience might vary from department to department.

The following departments are good to work for: IT, Finance, Real Estate,
    Do no work for the following departments: Category management, Sourcing, Art

The hours are long, people back bite, a lot of smack talking and gossiping. Senior management loads up employees to do a ton of the work and they go around socializing.

AVOID WORKING FOR HFT AT ALL COSTS! Or you'll end up like me, I currently despise my job, have gained so much weight because i can't make healthy decisions with all this work stress, and i'm not sleeping well. I cant wait to leave.

Worst job I have ever head. 100% truth.

Company has a bunch of fake reviews in June. This place is hell! dont work here

Current Employee - Analyst in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time

Pros

I guess they have coffee in every break room

Cons

Senior managment pretend to be on your side, but all they want to see is a BIG bonus. Lots of power moves.

You work long hours and are shown no appreciation. If you want to work for a terrible company, go right ahead, but dont say I didn't warn you. People are very unfriendly. And everyone thinks Eric is god.

Serisusly working at HFT is like being in high school all over again, all the same back stabbing and power plays. Its all about impressing people.

Dec 9, 2014HR Liason

We appreciate you sharing your input, but we're disappointed you are unable to share a single positive thought about your co-workers, the company, benefits, job, etc. Harbor Freight continually ... More

Harbor freight mess is crazy

Former Employee - Warehouse Monster in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Warehouse Monster in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun co workers are crazy and they will have you do a ton of work and make you stay over and all kinds of fun stuff boo hop.

Cons

Unqualified managers are super crazy yo they will make you lift heavy stuff and wear this super uncomfortable back brace which weakens intestinal muscles

Pay better and treat the little pee on grunts like people and grant them their Katian human rights

Nov 10, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your input. We agree, Harbor Freight offers a fun, casual environment as well as the opportunity to work with some great people. We also appreciate your other feedback. If you were ... More

Short term

Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work place to work ?

Cons

Too many changes from day to day

Try to keep good employees

Oct 28, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for sharing your input. We agree, Harbor Freight Tools is a good place to work: great benefits, awesome co-workers and a generous vacation plan. We also appreciate your thoughts about how ... More

Harbor Freight Tools Photos