Harbor Freight Tools

Harbor Freight Tools Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt

Eric Smidt

Pros
  • I live how fast this company is growing and the opportunities that were recently presented to me (in 10 reviews)

• Paid time off and sick time, health insurance for full timers (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Plenty of turnover in upper management/executive level at the corporate office (in 21 reviews)

• Management often insinuates lying to customers to sell the Inside Track Club memberships and the warranty plans (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A decent job but don't expect much in the way of acknowledgement of your hard work.

Cashier (Current Employee) Fairfield, CA

ProsGreat place to work for someone who is just starting out in the workforce and doesn't have very many skills, and managers seem pretty willing to work with just about any schedule.

ConsVery little opportunity for advancement, managers seem to stay managers, assistant managers stay assistant managers, and associates stay associates. Hours are divvied out based on sales performance, so working in the warehouse and having little interaction with customers means you might just see your hours dwindle down to 8 hrs a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to promote and reward hard-work aside from basing it on sales. Create a policy requiring schedules be posted a few days before the beginning of the week. Appreciate your employees.

Jun 12, 2014HR Liason

We’re happy to hear that you find Harbor Freight Tools to be a flexible and accommodating workplace. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific ... More

my exsperience at harbor freight was terriable was treated like crap

Cashier (Former Employee) Williamsport, PA

Prosthe pros to working at harbor freight honestly the only pros to working at harbor freight is the customers cause they are the whole reason i worked there cause my goal was keeping the customer happy and coming back

Conssome of the challenges is poor management and lack of communication and not enough team work and not treating there employee with the respect they deserve and they dont respect ur availabilty at all

Advice to Senior Managementmy advice is that they work more as a team and communicate more and teach there management staff to have more respect for there employees instead of taking to them like they are a piece of garbage

Be prepared to get things done. All day long.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsYou can get more accomplished at HFT before 10am than you could in a whole day at most companies. There aren't many 30+ yr old retailers growing at this rate -- or that would have so many opportunities to learn and develop in the near-term and over the long haul. There's a ton of energy and a pervasive drive for constant improvement -- every single day.

ConsThere is a trainload of work and the challenge isn't for everyone. It's not easy to grow 20% annually AND push for improvements in such varied aspects of the business. Be prepared to have 30 items on your to-do list and time to get only the 5 most important done. Expect a certain amount of change and stand ready to be responsible for the planning and execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to acknowledge the effort and thought that go into every day. Celebrate the routine wins for a minute or two before moving on to "what's next." Break down a few more silos between departments and encourage even more communication.

Jun 18, 2014HR Liason

We're glad that you find Harbor Freight a proactive, productive place to work. We also appreciate your feedback regarding areas where we can improve If you'd like to share specific information ... More

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growth and Stability

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI have had the opportunity to read some of the comments here on Glassdoor and find myself compelled to add one of my own. I have been with Harbor Freight Tools for approximately 2-1/2 years and have seen an incredible transitions and transformation of our senior leadership and mid-management teams. Although I was not familiar with Harbor Freight Tools 1-1/2 years ago, I was drawn in by the Growth opportunities of a fast emerging and stable company. With many new stores opening in the New York Metro area, we have focused on not only recruiting but also development of internal talent. This has lead to the promotion of 3 recent internal promotions to Store Manager and look forward to many more. if your looking for an opprtunity, this is the place to be.

ConsThis is a High Level Execution Based Company... your success is dictated by your performance.

Great Opportunity; Great Company

Director (Current Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsHFT is growing tremendously and has great opportunity for advancement. The corporate environment is filled with extremely talented and bright people and I have learned more in my last 2 years at HFT than in the previous 10 years combined at other companies. Also, HFT is a performance based company so it really does not matter if you are here one year or ten years, the only thing that matters is your capability and your results. No bureaucracy. If you have a good idea it will be implemented quickly, without going through 5 levels of mangement and 20 meetings later. Overall, very positive experience and I enjoy coming into work on a daily basis.

ConsWhile compensation is very competitive, 401k and vacation are not as competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote work life balance.

The real deal

ProsHaving joined Harbor Freight Tools almost 5 months ago, I have been blown away that everything I was told is true! No one tried to put spin on anything - they were all very candid about the pros and cons about the company. Humility is a big part of the leadership of the company, and a sense of fairness in everything that occurs is clear. From an employee standpoint, I have never felt more supported and valued!

ConsFrankly none that merit me writing about. Any cons are also recognized and are being worked on feverishly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course! The company is doing things in a very non-retail way, which is very refreshing!

Outstanding Company, great business model, amazingly talented team...positioned for exciting growth!!

Loss Prevention (Current Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsIf you are looking for an opportunity to be a part of a rapid growth operation...this is the place to be. If you want the chance to make an impact in the future of the business...this is the place to be. Opportunties for personal and professional growth are never ending as HFT works to build the infrastructure to support their aggressive growth plan. The leadership team is diverse and extremely talented! Very large organization with a "family business" feel to it.

ConsThere is a lot of work to be done to support the growth plan...so if you are looking to maintain the status quo, Harbor Freight isn't the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Continue to recruit and retain highly talented and diverse employees that are able to respond and contribute to the growth. Continue to build the infrastructure to support that growth.

Jun 18, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your feedback. We’re happy to hear you enjoy the work environment at Harbor Freight Tools and, like you, we're excited about the company's growth, energy, diversity and outstanding ... More

One of the best opportunities in retail

Director (Current Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsOpportunities are endless. The organization is growing at a break neck speed. When people ask "what does the career path look like?" the answer is who knows... regardless of what you want to do, there will likely be an opportunity here for you to advance. Buy the ticket, take the ride. There really is no limit when an organization has this much growth ahead.

ConsYou will work hard. HFT requires passionate, committed people who thrive to be part of the solution, Big ego's won't survive. If your more excited to see the team win than to achieve individual success than it is a great place to be. If your most motivated by indivudual accolades, it may not be the right place. With that said, is is absolutely a pay for performance environment, and stars are always recognized and rewarded.

Jun 18, 2014HR Liason

We’re excited about the growth and energy at Harbor Freight Tools, too. We've got a great team and are always looking for more talented people. Thank you for your feedback.

If you cant handle the summer, you dont deserve the winter

Retail Clerk (Current Employee) Yuma, AZ

ProsGood Co-Workers, Some Good Customers, and decent commission from ESP's.

ConsBad Management, Disorganized Warehouse, not alot of hours in the summertime

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you want them to be working there and they will perform better.

Jun 12, 2014HR Liason

We’re so glad to hear you enjoy working with your co-workers and customers. We also appreciate your feedback about areas where we can improve. If you'd like to share specific information, please feel ... More

Looking to make an impact? Think Harbor Freight Tools!

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHarbor Freight is a great place if you are a person looking to make an impact. The company is growing like crazy adding 50+ stores a year, this gives the right person a great opportunity to showcase their talent among a very driven peer group.

ConsWith any company that is growing you are going to have "Growing Pains" Harbor Freight Tools is not without its own. The company is in the process of developing and rolling out new programs related to Freight Management, Pricing as well as many others, for the wrong person looking for a ultra stable work environment this may not be the right time for you. Those leaders looking to help grow a company will find it a very enjoyable setting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership at Harbor Freight Tools has never been better! They currently have what I consider to be highest quality management team that the company has ever had.

Worked for Harbor Freight Tools? Contribute to the Community!