Harbor Freight Tools

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt

Pros
  • The company is growing at the rate of 50 stores per year (in 12 reviews)

• Paid time off accrues quickly, spiff program pays well (ESP part atleast) (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Mistreatment of employees by upper management and irregular working hours (in 27 reviews)

• Should improve inside track club and add a rewards program (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Warehouse Associate

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Toledo, OH

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pros were that I don't work or shop there, I avoid that place like it hasEbola.

Cons

Management is a bunch of childish imbeciles, harassing other coworkers and talking behind one another's back. My hours were cut because I stood up for a fellow coworker that was being harassed. I should have pursued legal action.

Consider finding a ditch to live in.

Nov 10, 2014HR Liason

We appreciate you sharing your input, but we're disappointed you are unable to share a single positive thought about your co-workers, the company, benefits, job, etc. Harbor Freight continually ... More

Retail Job in a Corporate environment. Store Manager and Assistants only ones paid attention to.

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can balance private and work life pretty well. Some nice people do work here.

Cons

Have to learn by trial and error if get a promotion have to figure out how to job well and figure out how to do it. You either are good or you are not and if not told you have to correct it but not how to. No training. Had to figure out there was training that was required by signing in and finding it out for myself.

Pay attention to the employees on store level not just the store managers. Pay better and would have more loyal employees.

Nov 10, 2014HR Liason

We appreciate your comments, and we're also glad to hear you enjoy your co-workers and how the job balances with your personal life. We also appreciate the concerns you've expressed, and we want to ... More

Harbor Freight is not a good place to work.

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Lavale, MD
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Lavale, MD

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a yearly raise based on your performance review
    somewhat flexible with working around other things

Cons

hours are constantly being cut
    the scheduled changes each day without notifying anyone
    things are never oranized
    there is never enough people working
    there is never very good communication leaving people clueless to what is going on

GET NEW MANAGEMENT. Communicate with all employees and actually put your foot down to the ones not following procedures and stop punishing the ones that actually do their job by cutting their hours, IF THEY WORK HARD AND DESERVE THE HOURS GIVE IT TO THEM, IF NOT THEN DON'T!!!!

I handle the Register and restock work in the warehouse.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in York, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in York, PA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job is simple and easy and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Benefits are for only full-time, Management is highly demanding. and at times places too much responsibility on one employee

stop changing policy to add more money and start adding policy to help out your employers

Nov 13, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your input and for you taking the time to share your thoughts about the company. We're glad to hear you enjoy the casual atmosphere and co-workers at your store. Harbor Freight ... More

Frustrating

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is ot bad for a retail company

Cons

Promoting from within is virtually non existant. I was told when I was hired that you cannot start out as a Store Manager you had to begin as an Assistant. I was a Store Manager for 3 Years at Petco but still started as an Assistant. Four years later I am stuck in a dead end job. There are many other Assistants at other stores that have been with the company for more years and still are not even interviewed for any Store Manager openings

If you want to develope a stable company you need to stop hiring from outside the company. Give current employees at least a chance to advance. An employee can advance up to an assistant manager and then you are stuck there. The metrics are way too micro-managed and are un-reasonable. I will leave this company as soon as I can find another job.

Sep 22, 2014HR Liason

Thank you for your input. We agree, Harbor Freight offers extremely competitive pay to its staff, as well as some of the best company benefits you can find. We also appreciate your feedback regarding ... More

Fsat and furious

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training, hours, benefits, great prices

Cons

Management more interested in promoting outside cronies rather than the best candidates available from within

Give the ones that brung ya a chance!

good

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time

Pros

worked around your school schedule

Cons

managers were always in the back

Good Company to work for.

Former Employee - General Manager in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Abilene, TX

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constant Changes, always busy, customers are nice most of the time.

Cons

management changes, POG sets, no feature management to keep shelves full.

grow and learn

Give what you get, get what you give

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator
    Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The paid time off (even for part-time employees) is a nice bonus. Slightly above average hourly wages, and a generous sales commission on extended warranties. The scheduling is generally pretty flexible. With the right staff, the work environment is fun. Serious advancement opportunities for those who apply themselves.

Cons

Archaic and antiquated equipment and retail systems. Overly micromanaged. Too heavy of an emphasis on metrics. Little to no customer focus. Hours can become somewhat scarce. Not enough employees due to strict hiring standards.

Ease up a bit on metrics. Have more faith in your retail stores themselves, and give them more autonomy. Allow for a slightly higher payroll budget to better accommodate customer service and store operations.

An exciting challenge

Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier
    Current Employee - Assistant Head Cashier

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Spiff payout
    PTO time
    Sick time
    Loyal customers
    Relaxed atmosphere (most of the time)
    Relaxed dress code

For the most part, this company is a great place to work. It's always nice to make a bit more then minimum wage, and the opportunity to make extra money with spiffs. I've been with this company close to three years, and can say that 80% of the time I do enjoy my job. I enjoy meeting customers who really take the time out of the day to get to know me on a personal level. I enjoy almost all of my upper management, and respect their choices.

Cons

Not enough hours
    The relentless micromanaging of data capture
    Micromanaging
    Cashiers who cheat to boost their spiff sales, and who also steal esps/itcs
    Itc program needs to be thought out more.
    The fact that we don't have a rewards program for our loyal customers or for the itc members
    Free item coupons with NO purchase

I understand the data capture process, I understand what it's trying to do. But DMs need to look at the bigger picture, not everyone wants to give out their personal info, especially the older folks. Some days I literally feel like I'm harassing customers into a flyer, with coupons that aren't the best out there. I find the itc program to be a complete waste. The customers can and DO get better coupons in car magazines and Sunday news papers. Why don't we have a rewards program for the itc members? For spending 29.99$, I really believe we need to do a little more for these customers who spend more of their money and time at harbor freight. The free item coupons with no purchase are not helping the customer base or middle class. You're bringing in the same people every day, who will NEVER buy anything and only come on there for free items. They refuse to give you their info for data capture, they are rude, and when we are out of the item they throw stuff at us, scream at us and make us feel like it's our problem that we are out of the item.

Rethink the ITC program, make it actually worth the 29.99$, give them a rewards program. Consider stopping the no purchase required coupons for a little while..

Harbor Freight Tools Photos