Harbor-UCLA Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

I love this place place

ProsFast pace, 9-4:30, fun co-workers

ConsYou stay a temp a long time. They could hire but chooses not to and wait.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you find a great employer don't leave them as a temp and hire them or else they'll move on.

The clinic provides me with skills to proceed in my medical career

Volunteer (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsIf you are into the medical field and helping others, harbor ucla medical clinic is for you!

ConsI cannot practice on my back office medical skills , for medical assisting.

Advice to Senior ManagementVolunteers , if they are choosing to do medical , should have a option of choosing to work front or back office in their medical skills , so that they can do good when he/she chooses to work in healthcare.

The Medical Records Hr. was unfair to me as a temp for 13 years, and non promoted

Intermediate Files Clerk/Temp (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

Prosunfair wages and non promotional support

ConsHr staff is great

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from the better Hospital managements who have great history with how they handle things employee and people mangagment relationship

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great hospital campus serving an underserved community. Excellent research institute.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)

ProsResearch institute is outstanding. The campus has character, that is for sure. I prefer it over the marble foyers at Westwood. The people's hospital!

ConsOld facilities, tight county funds. The research institute doesn't get the respect it deserves based on the qualities of the PIs.

It's a good place to work, a lot of hours if you want it

ProsIts a great place to work, lots of hours if you need it

ConsOne group dominates. More diversity needed

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more diverse

Harbor-UCLA is a much needed public hospital and excellent practice for medical/surgical residents.

Healthcare Professional (Current Employee)

ProsWorking with patients who struggle to survive and are appreciative of those health professionals with compassion. The work is an exercise in compassion and patience with any bureaucracy that is imperfect.

ConsNeighborhood - sketchy for evening and night workers

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your workers and patients because this kind of input is always critical for improvement. Reinforce the critical importance of empathic listening in your staff and insure that all healthcare employees are skilled in pain assessment, treatment and modalities that can reduce pain in addition to pharmaceuticals.

Good place to start, but not for long-term

Cls (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

Prosgood place to start and learn. a variety of cases and illnesses as it is a county hospital. friendly environment. many vacation days.

ConsPoor management, starting from the top lab manager. way too little staff for the work load. Some people work there forever, but have no clue as to what they are doing.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees with respect, and recognize and encourage talent instead of seniority-based promotions

harbor general

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

Prosthe best emergency/trauma/ high acuity pt experience for new grads. great training (6 weeks) with seasoned nurse, new and larger er ready in summer this year

Conslow on staff/functioning equipment, high acuity pt loads, very busy er with little to no help with incoming traumas and icu pts. pts stay in er for days. pts wait out in er for days to see md. staff safety has been an issue with psych patients and angry patients. supervisors dont treat every employee equally in terms of time off/vacation/schedule changes/complaints. minimal to no raises or performance reviews. all mandator training on days, no times available for nightshift. pay is salary, most overtime approved only as accrued time that you can rarely cash out

Advice to Senior Managementmake harbor safer for patients and less stressful for staff- maybe your hired nurses will stay

Eventful and full of drama

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

Prosfriendly staff and crazy atmosphere

ConsLots of Drama and Shadiness

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together

Great Benefits, A crazy place to work but worth it in the end

Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent nursing union
    Great NP pay, step increases based on years of experience
    Virtually impossible to get fired once you pass probationary period
    Paid military time off
    Generous benefit package
    A chance to work with Los Angeles County underserved population
    Many brilliant specialists to learn from

ConsIt is a county hospital, get ready for the stereotypical "county worker"
    Many lazy people who get away with doing nothing, like sleeping
    Very difficult to fire employees, even if they slack off and decide not to fulfill job requirements
    Working with the underserved can be challenging and draining

Advice to Senior ManagementFire those who do not fulfill their jobs

Worked for Harbor-UCLA Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!