Harborview Medical Center

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Educational, safe, edgy.

Research Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsHarborivew is known for it's academic and progressive character. Not one physician, nurse, PA, or what-have-you is not also a teacher and instructor.

ConsIt's a large organization and despite their best efforts, find a difficult time taking care of their employees to the utmost degree. It isn't that they treat their employees poorly, but because it is a public hospital, there isnt much room to treat their employees gratuitously.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time in the trenches, i.e. the clinics, departments, ER, etc. and try to figure out a few small things that could foster more employee happiness.

Sr. Computer Specialist

Senior Computer Specialist (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsA fantastic mission that will make you feel proud of your work no matter what you are doing. Coworkers in every department were a pleasure to work with. Good hours, not a lot of overtime.

ConsPay is almost competitive, but because it is a state run facility the benefits are lacking (no bonus potential, no profit sharing, medical is decent). This means you can easily earn quite a bit more in a private sector position.

Harborview seems to have forgotten about it's mission

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsDIverse patient population, excellent learning opportunities

ConsVery few opportunities for career advancement, rampant nepotism.
    Bullying and gossip is the norm, and an accepted practice by staff and management
    Poor staffing and high turnover, especially of management positions lately

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit your mission statement. The changes that have taken place over the last few years don't seem to value the patients that the mission claims to make a priority.
    Stop spending money on expensive consulting firms.
    Nurture new managers. They deserve better training and mentorship to be able to support their staff.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfactory research laboratory experience.

Research Technician (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe laboratory had flexible hours that allowed me to work whenever I wanted.

ConsUnfortunately, there was very little interaction between different labs.

A place with a great mission.

Senior Computer Specialist (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe care providers at Harborview are committed to helping patients, and the sense of mission is great. If you're interested in contributing to the greater good of society, this is an awesome place.

ConsThe pay is not competitive. If you're not involved in patient care, it's a little less rewarding. Promotions are essentially all based on tenure rather than merit. Conformity is more rewarded than innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is still lacking. It's hard to get a sense of where the organization is headed because it still feels like decisions are made in a vacuum. Would I recommend Harborview as an employer? It really depends on what someone is looking for.

A true mission-driven organization that successfully blends compassion with expertise.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking at Harborview is enriching - both personally and professionally. The medical challenges are as diverse as the population. Patients are treated with respect regardless of their circumstances. The physicians are tops in their field and the nurses are skilled, warm and attentive. As an employee, I learned something everyday that I worked there.

ConsAs a trauma facility and regional burn center, the stress level is high. The enormous amount of charity care creates financial challenges that must be met, often resulting in disagreements about the best way to do that.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake good hires and then listen to and trust your employees. Their perspective is valuable. Micro- managing kills creativity and motivation.

Medical Assistant

Medical Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits,Retirement, Great Co-workers, Tuition Assistance Program,

ConsMicromanagements, No room for growth, Low Pay, Expensive Parking, Unstable work schedule, Management don't care, Hard to get Vacation approve even though you have vacation hours

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employee right!!! Know how to care for them and don't be self centered.

I am astonished at the way they treat nurses

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe mission population is wonderful.

Cons1) Policy is a six month probationary period which means they can fire without reason at 5.5 months and you will have never got your vacation.
    2) Administration can make up whatever nonsense they want, and you never actually sign it or see it.
    3) Peer evaluations may be requested, but not utilized. Even with stellar evaluation by your peers, you can still be terminated without just cause.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your managers to managerial school. Just because someone is a good clinical RN doesn't mean they are a good manager.
    Give people good feedback along with constructive feedback. That is basic management skills.

Worked for Harborview Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harborview Medical Center reviews and ratings. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Harborview Medical Center employees.