Harcourt Education

Chris Jones
1 Rating

Great Internship Experience

I worked at Harcourt Education as an intern

Pros

Interning at Heinemann was a fun and challenging experience. I was trusted with real tasks and given autonomy, but supervisors offered support whenever needed. Really good way to get some publishing experience.

Cons

People tend to stay at the company for extended periods, so from my brief stint there, it seemed that it could be difficult to move your way up

Good field, company struggling to catch up to 21st century

I worked at Harcourt Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are so many good people in publishing. You'll be surrounded by brilliant coworkers who really care about what they're doing (most of them).

Cons

It's tough to squeeze "enough" profit out of a field in crisis, and this trickles down into every aspect of every job at this place. Technical infrastructure is lacking. Leadership in tech-related decisions is lacking. Not to say they don't all mean well.

Be braver in supporting your troops.

Good job, big company.

Former Employee - Security Guard in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Orlando, FL

I worked at Harcourt Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, vacation first year, employee cafeteria.

Cons

Big company, regular layoffs for some departments.

Better places to work.

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Harcourt Education

Pros

Decent management
    ok work/life balance
    laid back office environment

Cons

dying industry
    budget cuts/staff cuts every year

none.

Wasn't Bad...

Former Employee - Former Editor
    Former Employee - Former Editor

I worked at Harcourt Education

Pros

When I worked at Harcourt I didn't realize how great a place it was. We were purchased by Reed Elsevier and then sold to Houghton Mifflin. Looking back, the years under Reed Elsevier were pretty good ones. It was a fair place to work for the most part—compensation and benefits were adequate, and the people were always phenomenal.

Cons

After Reed Elsevier sold the business it seems a perfect storm of economic maladies occured. This led to a lot of layoffs. I hear the environment is still pretty shaky there with lots of outsourcing, constant restructuring, some benefits nixed (such as 401K matching), no raises, etc.

Buy gold.

Hardcourt so-so. Not bad, Not great.

Former Employee - Scorer/editor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Scorer/editor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harcourt Education

Pros

Decent pay for looking over standardized tests. Easy enough job. Decent lunch and break schedule. Work in the morning and get your day over with. I worked as a temp scorer/editor.

Cons

Very redundant. People above you are 50-50 on whether they are competent. Some managers/leaders/exec whatever take themselves very seriously. Some were cool about working and just making sure you were doing your job. Others are on a power trip and concerned only with you doing more work and not about them doing any work themselves.

Outside of this the work environment is pretty stale. You sit in a psuedo factory-like atmosphere and look at papers all day.

The operation is pretty set. To improve, I'd try screening who you hire more. Some people sit there the whole day without doing a damn thing. Others put in the work of 1.5 to 2 people. If you can rid yourselves of the people that don't do anything or close to it, you'll get a lot more accomplished and meet a lot more deadlines.

They skew results to create tests. Guess what they will do to u!

Current Employee - Assessment Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Assessment Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harcourt Education

Pros

Location if you are near it. Otherwise it is an extremely long drive to 1604 and Bulverde Rd. The company use to be called Psych Corp. ETS are their local competetors.

Cons

Pay, gossip, backstabbing for career moves, and the fact that you will have to live with yourself. They skew test results when creating these so called exams. Then they hire anyone, I mean anyone to grade them. They pay 9 $ and hour for people to sit in a warehouse with hardly any lighting to grade our children on these exams they created. The best part is that these are the same tests from the years prior that they just tweek a bit to produce. They share the math material with the literature materials and so forth. You will sell your soul.

Lay off all the top Senior Management that attend meetings all day and do nothing else. Promote the middle management who actually stay late and sacrafice their personal lives to complete projects.

Okay experience

Former Employee - Temp Grader in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Temp Grader in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harcourt Education

Pros

Pay is probably equal to retail, but you don't have to deal with angry customers. It seemed like a lot of other people working there were teachers who had summers off and wanted to supplement their incomes by grading standardized tests our government is pushing.

Cons

I had no allusions that it was going to be anything different than low-paying temp work, and that's all it was.

nothing, I'm not qualified to suggest anything

Go in with your eyes wide open!

Current Employee - Software Development Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Development Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harcourt Education

Pros

Providing a valuable service towards helping educate our children.
    Worked with great people (generally), so I believe the hiring practices are sound.
    Worked on a lot of exciting projects and on projects that I knew made a difference in the success of the company.

Cons

Senior management team was terrible - nearly ran the company into the ground. I believe this has greatly changed since I left --- most of the "old" team either left or were terminated and my understanding is that the new management team is very good.

Listen to employees.
    Get on the same page - make a decision and back it to the hilt.
    Admit when mistakes are made and use it as a learning opportunity.

Heinemann is the last place you'll ever want to work!!

I have been working at Harcourt Education

Pros

In working for the smaller company, Heinemann, under the Houghton Miffling Harcourt umbrella of companies I feel very fortunate. The President of our small company does an outstanding job, the management team has been instrumental in our success and in recent years the career coaching and opportunities have really propelled Heinemann to be, in my mind, the best company in Portsmouth, NH to work for. A company rich in values and with a shared philosophy being "Dedicated to Teachers" Heinemann is a place you will want to work for for the rest of your career!

Cons

It can be a tough adjustment dealing with a larger, more corporate parent company, but that transition has been masterfully executed.

Keep doing what you are doing!!