Hard Rock International

Updated January 22, 2015
3.5

Hard Rock International President and CEO Hamish Dodds
Hamish Dodds

Pros
  • Exposure to great music, fun work environment, great pay, fair management (in 9 reviews)

• Hard Rock has great atmosphere and awesome employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Gets a bit overcrowded, long hours, need better stock option portfolio 401K plan (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management are clueless in the area of nightlife in this area (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great employer

I worked at Hard Rock International

Pros

Great benefits. Lots of opportunity for advancement and charity work.

Cons

I do not have any cons to add

Great Company with Great Benefits

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Destin, FL
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Destin, FL

I worked at Hard Rock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits. Great people with the best core values.

Cons

She me a fanent has been with company awhile and there is some favoritism.

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hard Rock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, PTO benifits staff friends
    Benefits
    Staff
    Friends
    Training
    PTO

Cons

Late nights
    Holidays
    Job security
    Relocation
    Opportunities

Look over your shoulder all the time, they will take you out to (CYA) project there jobs

a lot of fun, but slightly shady

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Washington, DC

I worked at Hard Rock International (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers, great relationships with floor managers
    Love school groups, easy money and the kids are fun
    Great music, environment is entertaining and VERY busy

Cons

General Manager was not there very often, went on vacations while the restaurant suffered
    One very hot summer, the AC broke and the GM did not want to pay to have it fixed, so an entire table section was closed because it smelled like hot sewage.

TREAT THE BUILDING WITH RESPECT!! It is very old and needs to be kept in good shape in order to keep customers/employees happy. Also, keep the back elevator clean since customers who cant climb stairs use it frequently.
    Treat your employees well: they are the face of the restaurant. How you are viewed by the public is up to them!!!

It started out as a fun, family oriented environment--but quickly turned to a place I never wanted to go.

Former Employee - Food Server in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Food Server in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hard Rock International part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work there are amazing

Cons

The corporate management is terrible

Learn to manage your employee's, not disposable people.

Love this job!

Current Employee - Hostess in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hard Rock International part-time (less than a year)

Pros

upbeat work environment, management is easy to talk to, co-workers are friendly, management is flexible with scheduling needs, discounts on food, merchandise, and hotel stays at all Hard Rock locations,

Cons

managers need to communicate with each other more effectively, not much room for personal growth, poor security at this location,

Hard Rock International Response

Jan 9, 2015Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so happy to hear you love the job. I hope that feeling of excitement continues. Also, thank you for your comments about communication. We are always ... More

Excellent job but definitely one for a young person.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Hard Rock International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work in a lively energetic atmosphere, encouraged to create a party vibe each day or night. Good benefits, sick pay, 401k, vacation time, and competitive pay. If you choose to there is opportunity to travel with this company as well.

Cons

Like any restaurant job you work nights, weekends, holidays and are required to work long hours. This is a very hands on type of management job, you will need to jump in and get your hands dirty.

Depends on the Cafe

I have been working at Hard Rock International

Pros

Incredible history! The Hard Rock is a lot of fun to work at if you are into music, extremely positive, have a lot of energy, and are passionate about your job. The corporation as a whole has such great intentions and is really focused on philanthropy and just having a good time!

Cons

Depending on the individual cafe's management, they can lose focus on what the Hard Rock is really about.

Fun environment with a sink or swim memtality.

Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hard Rock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very fun and very relaxed culture.

Cons

Too relaxed.after staff clocks in they sit around for twenty minutes chit chatting and if you interrupt you will be looked at as an outsider.

Have more of a professional approach to hiring and not just people who look cool or are your friends.

Great co-workers, Moderate management, Bad sales training.

Former Employee - Trainer/Server in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Trainer/Server in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hard Rock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers: This is the best thing about Hard Rock. I feel like management looks for people that stand out and have a rockstar mentality. I met life-long best friends, tons of life long Facebook acquaintances, roommates, boyfriends, etc through the location I worked at. I also felt like the managers didn't chastise me for being different. I have tattoos, a sassy attitude and colorful hair. They never questioned my professionalism because of it.

Benefits: HRC provided excellent health insurance (dental included), 401K, and tuition reimbursement. It was like they gave you free money for being a good student and working hard (full-time). Even when I couldn't pay for my health insurance which was around $100/month, Hard Rock was enrolled with a program through the city that paid for our health expenses. I miss those benefits! They also provided sick days and vacation days as a full-time employee while I worked there. Not sure if they do that anymore, but that's unheard of as a restaurant server!

Rocker Shifts and other perks: If you can stick around long enough and sell your soul to the devil (i.e. Hard Rock Souvenir glasses and All Access membership cards) then you might start to get "Rocker Shifts." These are the best sections in the restaurant with most likely the best seats in the house (big booths, parties, etc). It's hard work to get there and hard work to maintain it, but the rocker shift comes with a free meal and the pleasure of supervising everyone during and after their shift. I started to get these shifts during my 2nd year with Hard Rock. If you are a newbie at Hard Rock I suggest you make it known right away that that's what you want and make sure your sales reflect it. Create a good rapport with the scheduling manager and make sure he/she knows you want to move up. In the end they will honor amazing sales versus seniority.

Cons

Mediocre Management: I worked at a manager training store where new hire managers would come to train from all over the country. Some of them were awesome, highly qualified and knew a thing or two about managing in a restaurant. While others had no clue what they were doing! It was frustrating as a team trainer to see management leaving their 6 week training period with no improvements or skills. I cared about the company I worked for and sometimes it was hard to tell if hiring managers felt the same by the quality of new hires they were bringing in to manage new Hard Rock's.

Pre-shift/Training: While I was training to become a server at Hard Rock it was all about the food, policies and uniform - which of course you need to know. However, there was absolutely no training offered on how to sell. A huge part of working at Hard Rock is being a salesman. Otherwise you will not move up and you will not make good tips. Just know that if you start working for Hard Rock you will need to "suggestively sell" "upsell" "close the deal"

Shifts: Most Hard Rock's are located in heavy tourist areas. I worked at a location that was extremely seasonal, so during the summer I had no life and sometimes worked double shifts (including all weekends/holidays/evenings until 4AM) and during the winter I barely got 2-3 shifts (if you're lucky). Although Hard Rock's attract tourists all over the world and seem busy all year round, do your research! Be prepared to get a second or even third job in the winter if your location is seasonal and make the most of your summer shifts (save $$$).

Another word regarding shifts: Prepare to work your way up the ladder. Once training is done, you will be at the bottom of the food chain and will have to work your way up through open availability, hard work and sales. Most of the time your section reflects what kind of money you will make. If you are constantly at the bottom on the sales report, you will get the worst sections - vice versa. You will notice that the people that have worked there the longest and the Rocker's with the best shifts will shoo you until you have proven yourself worthy. They put their time in, so they understand what kind of hard work and responsibility it takes to get those shifts. Each shift run via group effort, so make sure you pull your weight (i.e. do your side work efficiently and ask others if they need help) until you've been there for a while, made friends and started to get better shifts. Serving can be a difficult gig, because the responsibilities (front house and back house) never end. Just be sure to not gossip and do your job well for the first six months.

Managers need more extensive training. I saw a lot of unprofessional behavior at the location I worked at and it was unfortunate, because the amazing, hard working staff suffered.

More incentives for sales. It's hard enough to wait tables let alone sell guests huge glasses to lug around while they're on vacation. Please offer more incentives to all servers not just Rockers.

Training should be offered in the area of sales as well. A lot of great people came and left the location I worked at simply because they did not know sales tactics. If you want to train your servers well, you will cover all areas of training you want your servers to cover all areas while on the floor.

The uniform and brand needs to be updated! I could see how this chain would be cool in the 80's-90's, but this is a new day and age. People want to dine some where that's new and modern - I feel like HRC needs a makeover.

Hard Rock International Photos