Hard Rock International

Updated December 15, 2014
3.4

Hard Rock International President and CEO Hamish Dodds
Hamish Dodds

Pros
  • Exposure to great music, fun work environment, great pay, fair management (in 9 reviews)

• Hard Rock has great atmosphere and awesome employees (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Gets a bit overcrowded, long hours, need better stock option portfolio 401K plan (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management are clueless in the area of nightlife in this area (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent job but definitely one for a young person.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Hard Rock International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work in a lively energetic atmosphere, encouraged to create a party vibe each day or night. Good benefits, sick pay, 401k, vacation time, and competitive pay. If you choose to there is opportunity to travel with this company as well.

Cons

Like any restaurant job you work nights, weekends, holidays and are required to work long hours. This is a very hands on type of management job, you will need to jump in and get your hands dirty.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Hard Rock International

Pros

Great ambience, great music and excellent teamwork

Cons

None, great philosophy. Lots of rush

Great co-workers, Moderate management, Bad sales training.

Former Employee - Trainer/Server in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Trainer/Server in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hard Rock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers: This is the best thing about Hard Rock. I feel like management looks for people that stand out and have a rockstar mentality. I met life-long best friends, tons of life long Facebook acquaintances, roommates, boyfriends, etc through the location I worked at. I also felt like the managers didn't chastise me for being different. I have tattoos, a sassy attitude and colorful hair. They never questioned my professionalism because of it.

Benefits: HRC provided excellent health insurance (dental included), 401K, and tuition reimbursement. It was like they gave you free money for being a good student and working hard (full-time). Even when I couldn't pay for my health insurance which was around $100/month, Hard Rock was enrolled with a program through the city that paid for our health expenses. I miss those benefits! They also provided sick days and vacation days as a full-time employee while I worked there. Not sure if they do that anymore, but that's unheard of as a restaurant server!

Rocker Shifts and other perks: If you can stick around long enough and sell your soul to the devil (i.e. Hard Rock Souvenir glasses and All Access membership cards) then you might start to get "Rocker Shifts." These are the best sections in the restaurant with most likely the best seats in the house (big booths, parties, etc). It's hard work to get there and hard work to maintain it, but the rocker shift comes with a free meal and the pleasure of supervising everyone during and after their shift. I started to get these shifts during my 2nd year with Hard Rock. If you are a newbie at Hard Rock I suggest you make it known right away that that's what you want and make sure your sales reflect it. Create a good rapport with the scheduling manager and make sure he/she knows you want to move up. In the end they will honor amazing sales versus seniority.

Cons

Mediocre Management: I worked at a manager training store where new hire managers would come to train from all over the country. Some of them were awesome, highly qualified and knew a thing or two about managing in a restaurant. While others had no clue what they were doing! It was frustrating as a team trainer to see management leaving their 6 week training period with no improvements or skills. I cared about the company I worked for and sometimes it was hard to tell if hiring managers felt the same by the quality of new hires they were bringing in to manage new Hard Rock's.

Pre-shift/Training: While I was training to become a server at Hard Rock it was all about the food, policies and uniform - which of course you need to know. However, there was absolutely no training offered on how to sell. A huge part of working at Hard Rock is being a salesman. Otherwise you will not move up and you will not make good tips. Just know that if you start working for Hard Rock you will need to "suggestively sell" "upsell" "close the deal"

Shifts: Most Hard Rock's are located in heavy tourist areas. I worked at a location that was extremely seasonal, so during the summer I had no life and sometimes worked double shifts (including all weekends/holidays/evenings until 4AM) and during the winter I barely got 2-3 shifts (if you're lucky). Although Hard Rock's attract tourists all over the world and seem busy all year round, do your research! Be prepared to get a second or even third job in the winter if your location is seasonal and make the most of your summer shifts (save $$$).

Another word regarding shifts: Prepare to work your way up the ladder. Once training is done, you will be at the bottom of the food chain and will have to work your way up through open availability, hard work and sales. Most of the time your section reflects what kind of money you will make. If you are constantly at the bottom on the sales report, you will get the worst sections - vice versa. You will notice that the people that have worked there the longest and the Rocker's with the best shifts will shoo you until you have proven yourself worthy. They put their time in, so they understand what kind of hard work and responsibility it takes to get those shifts. Each shift run via group effort, so make sure you pull your weight (i.e. do your side work efficiently and ask others if they need help) until you've been there for a while, made friends and started to get better shifts. Serving can be a difficult gig, because the responsibilities (front house and back house) never end. Just be sure to not gossip and do your job well for the first six months.

Managers need more extensive training. I saw a lot of unprofessional behavior at the location I worked at and it was unfortunate, because the amazing, hard working staff suffered.

More incentives for sales. It's hard enough to wait tables let alone sell guests huge glasses to lug around while they're on vacation. Please offer more incentives to all servers not just Rockers.

Training should be offered in the area of sales as well. A lot of great people came and left the location I worked at simply because they did not know sales tactics. If you want to train your servers well, you will cover all areas of training you want your servers to cover all areas while on the floor.

The uniform and brand needs to be updated! I could see how this chain would be cool in the 80's-90's, but this is a new day and age. People want to dine some where that's new and modern - I feel like HRC needs a makeover.

25 years ago

Former Employee - Line Cook in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Hard Rock International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

#1 fun and good money

Cons

Great flexible and open schedule

Fine, look for unique individuals and promote

Fun environment with a sink or swim memtality.

Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hard Rock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very fun and very relaxed culture.

Cons

Too relaxed.after staff clocks in they sit around for twenty minutes chit chatting and if you interrupt you will be looked at as an outsider.

Have more of a professional approach to hiring and not just people who look cool or are your friends.

I really liked working here. Just a nice place.

Current Employee - Bartender in Biloxi, MS
    Current Employee - Bartender in Biloxi, MS

I have been working at Hard Rock International part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The money was really good. Then when it gets bad it does so fast.

Cons

Casino working means you are just a number. The cameras are there just to see who is up to what and not to help if they can. Upper management are clueless in the area of nightlife in this area.

I liked all my namagers, but we got bought out by another company. Nobody here cares what the ideas of the employees are.

best corporation I've ever heard of and I feel so lucky to be apart of this company.

Current Employee - Waiter in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Waiter in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Hard Rock International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

very kind and helpful coworkers and very generous and caring managers and plenty of great opportunities to move up and make a good living

Cons

nothing bad at all this place rocks

don't be tempted

I have been working at Hard Rock International (more than 3 years)

Pros

There when I needed it

Cons

A very depressing work environment

Great Coworkers, Horrid management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Hard Rock International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome environment, great coworkers and an all around laid back feel.

Cons

Management is rude and speaks to the employees how the see fit whether the employees like it or not.

Respect is given where it is earned.

Hard Rock International Response

Nov 25, 2014Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your very honest feedback. We will incorporate these comments in to our management sensitivity training going forward.

The longer you work there the more they just use you.

Current Employee - Hard Rock Slave in Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Hard Rock Slave in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Hard Rock International full-time

Pros

Music, lifelong friends, and good money!

Cons

Management inconsistency
    Promotes slackers
    30 hrs min for benefits
    Use to be the anti-establishment but now is rediculously corporate.
    The food is so unhealthy.

Promote loyal, hardworking employees instead of slackers.

Hard Rock International Response

Nov 6, 2014Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. As mentioned in another post, we will definitely add your comments for consideration in our Annual employee satisfaction survey. Additionally, It seems ... More

Hard Rock International Photos