Hargreaves Lansdown

Not yet rated.

Hargreaves Lansdown Chief Executive Ian Gorham

Ian Gorham

Ability doesn't matter...

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsLocal well established firm, training / career development opportunities can be there

ConsCredence is given more to if your face fits rather than talent. A lot of people on supervisory positions have been there a long time and are very dyed in the wool, and utterly inflexible and lacking in empathy...taking a "my way or the highway" approach to man-management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at people as individuals and don't hold the so-called "HL culture" up as some holy grail of people selection!

Good base for a job in FS but limited potential long term and poor salaries

Pensions (Former Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

Pros*Good Training in certain rolls and very dedicated staff with strong company work ethic
    *Some flexibility - most jobs advertised internally
    *Very good level of service offered to clients
    *Share Save Scheme

Cons*Poor salary, approx 30-40% less than similar jobs at competitors
    *Many roles undervalued and unappreciated, as processes broken into small chunks management seem to see no value to staff understanding complete process and how one area might impact upon another
    *As wages for majority of employees are so low even if an employee stays at the firm long enough to qualify for the share save in reality affording the money to put aside each month for 5 years is very difficult
    *Senior management own majority of the shares and therefore reap the rewards in Dividends, in my view this has resulted in a downwards pressure on the wages and benefits of junior staff in order to maximise profits and dividends. In the long term this will damage the company as the younger staff of an calibre move to other companies who pay more.
    *As the company is relatively young (many managers being in early 30s) there is little scope for upwards progression. This only leaves sideways moves to other roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate good staff to prevent them leaving for greaner pastures. It should be considered that such staff have also had time and effort invested in their training. Though employing a new member of staff is relatively easy a constant staff turnover is unhelpful and costly to the business.

Unsupported and frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive salary and bonus scheme, nice office, excellent understanding of the need to invest in technology. Frequent internal job opportunities. Delivering excellent product portfolio to customers. Work life balance is fine in a the great location of central Bristol.

ConsComplete lack of support for new starters, poor induction sessions, unprofessional senior management and cliquey existing staff. Role discussed in interview was open ended; reality felt completely limited and unopen to even the discussion of change.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out your new starter induction process to be both relevant to the role and actually supported. Project management tools need urgent replacement. Keep the unprofessional attitudes between management staff in the board room; whispered conversations harbours distrust and open negative discussion of staff is shockingly inappropriate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what you would expect from a FTSE 100 listed company

Stockbroker's Assistant (Former Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsA swarve, sophisticated place to work giving a big city feel in the heart of Bristol. Nice offices, straight talking professionals, central location, fair salary.

ConsThe work is essentially boring with nothing in the way of structure or development for new starters,
    Staff are allowed to languish and a terrible dog eat dog attitude abounds. There was no support from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to build up a proper new starter process, instigate actual policies behind the good values that management holds and communicate these ideas to low level management. Instigate policies that help new starters and ensure there is a documented framework behind employee CPD and HR. Consider expanding HR and communicate these techniques to management. Employ a recruiting manager as it was obvious that the back office manager did the recruiting and he got a S.A who was basically just like a pupil in the class to come over and help him when he felt like it. Communicate to low level management that they need to be resposible for ensuring that everyone in their team know what they are doing. Give a detailed job description with a structured report of what is expected of you on a daily basis. Get the line managers to communciate this to the staff and well.

A fund supermarket: just like working at Asda...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsCentral location, near the shops/banks and easily accessible by public transport.

ConsAt the interview, my future line managers and I agreed on a figure for my salary. I was also told that within 6 months I would be joining an in-house training program to become a trader or a stockbroker (mine was an entry-level job), and that my salary would double. I should have smelled a rat.
    When I received the letter offering me the job, the salary stated was 25% lower than the salary agreed at the interview. I called and was told the salary was not negotiable. I should have pulled out there and then but I thought of the training program so I took the job.

After I had started work there, HR decided that the fact that I had told them I did not have a credit card, or any loans of any kind, meant that I must be in debt. I actually had a fund account (elsewhere) and several savings accounts! Getting them to admit that I hadn't lied on my form and that I had really never gotten in debt was quite painstaking.

The in-house training program never happened. In fact, I found out that all my colleagues had been told the same story, and several years afterwards, they were still in the same department, doing the same tasks. Obviously there was a lot of turnover as well: many would leave after 6 months or 1 year.

The pay rates are really low, they hire a lot of young graduates who know absolutely nothing about finance (neither they nor any of their relatives have ever held any funds or shares, and they don't follow the financial news either) and only get a job here to put a first experience on their CV. Turnover is high, and opportunities for advancement are nil. The best way to get a career there is to be a friend or a relative of the management/directors...

There's little or no training: in the call centre, people just read from a script. The work is 'taylorised', i.e. broken down into small chunks. You do one task, then pass the paperwork to someone else who does another task etc. This makes it easier for them to employ temps, and to have a lot of turnover, as training can be done in a couple of hours. However, as a result, the work is very repetitive and boring and you never get to see the big picture. You're just a cog in the wheel, and since anybody can learn to do your job in a couple of hours, you never feel that your work is valued, or that your job is secure.

Paperwork, cheques, share certificates go missing absolutely all the time: when I was there, there was even a 'lost and found' page on thte intranet!!!! We would get a lot of complaint cases, especially for transfers: investors would try to transfer their shares to HL, hoping to save money. The shares would go missing, or the transfer would be incorrectly processed (i.e. only half transferred, the stock ending up in a limbo; I've also seen stock credited to a different stockholder...). It would take HL months to get things sorted out, as solving complaint cases is not a priority there: the priority is to rack in as much money as possible. Transferring your stock from an account held with HL into an account with a different provider is especially difficult: HL seem to drag their feet and c*** up just to 'punisht' the investor for leaving them.

As in the headline above, working at HL is just as boring and mind-numbing as working at Asda.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in those of your staff who don't see work as just a meal ticket but are enthusiastic.

Worked for Hargreaves Lansdown? Contribute to the Community!