Harkins Theatre Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Daniel E Harkins

Pros
  • Free movies, great coworkers who were great (in 44 reviews)

• The work environment is great for people looking for a first job (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage and no negotiations (in 7 reviews)

• when it comes to team members, the maturity level can leave something to be desired (in 4 reviews)

1. Great First Job

Former Employee - Team Member in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Harkins Theatre (More than a year)

Pros

Harkins is a great first job. Too bad it was my second. They train you really well and there's always opportunities to get a raise and learn a new job in the theatre. Not only that, but as a teenager, there were a lot of other people my age, which made work fun. Our managers also did a lot of team bonding such as movie premiers for the employees. Working there was genuinely fun and the managers recognize achievements as well, which was emcouraging. Also, the free movies and passes that came with my raise were a plus.

Cons

You get sick of popcorn. Being the person to stand at door and rip tickets was very tedious. Theread aren't really short shifts so as a busy college student it's difficult to work around your schedule. Once the school year starts, movie theatres aren't as busy and the shifts go by slower for that reason.

Advice to Management

I don't have a lot of advice to give as management does a great job. I don't think I ever had a crappy manager.

2. Team Leader

Former Employee - Team Leader in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Harkins Theatre part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits of Harkins are decent. Free movies and flexibility with school schedules. Opportunity to gain great leadership experience.

Cons

Since Harkins is such a high-flow theater, it brings in a ton of guests and the work can be difficult during peak times.

Advice to Management

Promotions need to be faster and they are extremely picky. The pay is quite low for the amount of work

Assistant Manager Level 1-2

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Harkins Theatre part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working environment especially when you come across individual teenagers that want to work and contribute effectively to the team.

Cons

Rough demographic of customers do deal with at Scottsdale 101. Be ready to be treated like you are nothing unfortunately. If you can't deal with it, transfer.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the work a lot of these young kids put in. You may not know it but some of them may be contributing to their families well being at this job

5. Horrible First Job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Harkins Theatre part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Free movies, small popcorn and drinks if not put on "probation."

Cons

Pretentious managers. Favoritism played a huge role at this location. More drama than 20 high schools combined. Given no breaks if it got too busy so we would work 10hrs+ on our feet before finally going home.

Advice to Management

Play fair and stop with the favoritism. Know the line between employer and friends. Follow regulations and give your employees their breaks.

6. Good for school

Former Employee - Team Member in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Harkins Theatre part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy, usually busy, flexible schedule.

Cons

Some managers and 'team leaders' were very unprofessional. The team is basically built of a bunch of kids.

Advice to Management

Don't promote 16 year old kids to supervisor positions.

7. Great job for those needing schedule flexibility.

Former Employee - Team Member in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Team Member in Southlake, TX

Pros

Extremely flexible scheduling, varied work--not the same thing every day, possible to pick up shifts as needed if diligent

Cons

minimum wage, some evening shifts were short

8. Corporate

I worked at Harkins Theatre full-time

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Solid company with little risk of ever having major layoffs. Secure job placement.

Cons

Salary is not competitive with other companies, too low. No room for growth within corporate.

9. Team Member

Current Employee - Team Member in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Member in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Harkins Theatre (Less than a year)

Pros

You get free movies and can bring a friend. Also, fun and east first job. Friendly co-workers and management is also a plus.

Cons

Only bad thing really is you must be available to work both weekends and holidays. Besides that and there can be a lot of drama everything else is pretty nice.

10. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Team Leader in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Flagstaff, AZ

Pros

Love this job. You get a raise around every 600 hours, and it is relatively easy to move up in the company. As long as everything gets done, you're allowed to have some fun, which is really nice. Management is very reasonable and nice to work with.

Cons

Customers can make the job a little exhausting, and part of the job is giving up your weekends and having a schedule that changes from week to week.

Advice to Management

I think they do a good job already of this, but it never hurts to make sure that you are seeking out suggestions on a regular basis, especially from Team Members who don't necessarily have the opportunity as frequently to give feedback and make suggestions.

11. Good starting job

Former Employee - Team Member in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Member in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Harkins Theatre part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Harkins for 3 years of highschool as a Team Leader. It was a decent company and a good starting job. Great way to make friends and have a little extra money on the side for a highschool student.

Cons

They cons are of those working at any movie theatre. You will work a lot of late nights and weekends because thats when they have the most business.

Advice to Management

Management tends to pick the first resume on the top of the stack when it is time to hire someone. I would recommend not doing that and taking time to hire valuable employees, will create less turnover.

RSS Feed </> Embed