Harlan Reviews

10 reviews filtered by
2.5
David Broecker
1 Rating

1. Wonderful people from management down to the people I work along side of!

Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Harlan

Pros

I love this job. The teamwork from my fellow workers and management is great. We all share the concern not just for the quality and continuity of care of our animals but for each other. The Job is fairly easy, very physical busy work with an eye for detail. I love it.

Cons

None at this time

Keep up the good work supervisors and group leaders

2. Company that promotes from within, only if your incompetent and suck up to the correct people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, VA

I have been working at Harlan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well, the Benefits are ok. Compensation is awful for 9$ an hour, especially compared to newer companies moving into the area. There is no such thing as promotions, whenever one opens up, they already have it in their mind who kissed up the most, and will promotion them. Free Lunch!

Cons

Constant dressed top to bottom in "scubs" compensation is awful, working constant overtime and most weekends. Same free lunch gets old after about the first week (there is nothing healthy there to eat) no such thing as promotions, or raises. Have worked there for 5 years and received 2 raises for a total of .56 cents. The Management team has no clue what they are doing from the bottom down, you will learn on your own at this company. It was purchased by a very well respected company, so hopefully they will clean house and start a new once they realize how bad management at this site is.

LOL what management? Don't be afraid to hire people that are more competent that you are out of fear of losing your job. Employees never stay because they realize how awful this specific site is run. There is a reason Harlan was 2xx million dollars in debt, it's because of managers at sites like this.

3. great place to work nice job

Former Employee - Dri Ver in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Dri Ver in Frederick, MD

I worked at Harlan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly people all around nice place to work

Cons

seeing new things every day

its all good ! , I would not change any thing.

5. Very positive Marketing Internship

Former Intern - Marketing Intern
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern

I worked at Harlan as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Harlan has a very loose management style. The marketing department is very open to new ideas and does it's best to work as a cohesive unit despite the small size.

Cons

The company is very large, which can be a turn off to some individuals. Also, if you are against animals being used by pharmaceutical companies, this may not be the place for you.

6. This place is a mess. It's a joke. Everyone in the business knows this.

Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harlan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Literally nothing except for the true workers of this company are very good people who are used by management to carry the weight and shoulder all the real work. This is not news at most companies, but when you see the pay difference and the conditions then you know something is way off.

Cons

Many execs live in Canada and have company paid town homes which is fine for them but company says $$$ not there for 401k match or merit. Sales leadership corrupt, unethical and so poorly regarded that some are forbidden to go to customer locations. Least we not forget all the "scrap" from production or whatever you call the dead rats now. No quality, no ethics, high turnover, low pay, no 401k match, downgraded company credit rating, closing of sites, a VC company taking their loss.

Get a clue. You're history at the bigger Indy Dx and Pharma companies will not save this place. If you are so proud of the work you do, why don't you list Harlan Labs on your LinkedIn pages? You should be afraid of the repercussions of working at this place. There's a reason why the activists target this industry.

7. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Harlan

Pros

Some of the best reasons are:
    Benefits
    Work Environment
    People
    Stability

Cons

Compensation
    Lack of internal promotion opportunities

8. No appreciation for employees

I have been working at Harlan

Pros

Great leaning opportunities at this company

Cons

Lack of company procedure and policy

9. The company is in troubl3

Former Contractor - Animal Technician
    Former Contractor - Animal Technician

I worked at Harlan as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an animal technician. I loved working with the mice. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The company is undergoing some restructuring, so maybe these things will get fixed soon. There is not enough time to get everything done that needs to be done. Training is inconsistent. Workers are told to ask for help when they are behind, but help is not given (mainly because they are short-staffed). Instead of management understanding the inherent problems of being short staffed, you get written up (if you are lucky) or fired with no formal process of disciplinary action. My particular manager was very fire-happy. This combined with the low pay causes extremely high turnover for those working as animal technicicans, further exacerbating the issues the company already has. Six people fired and two people quit in the one month I was there. Everyone is afraid of losing their jobs and most are looking for new ones.

Pay your animal technicians a living wage. Stop blaming the problems on the technicians and asking for more things to be done without giving the proper manpower or organization to correct them. Stop firing people for minor offenses that would not occur if training were consistent and staffing were optimal. Instead, realize that the problems exist because management abuses its power and takes out frustration on the techs and lower-level management, causing a high turnover rate and decreased morale among those who stay.

10. Animal Technician

I have been working at Harlan (less than a year)

Pros

The only thing that is good is its interesting and keeps you busy.

Cons

No safety procedures,Lack of training,no one is ever on the same page and do i need to say safety safety safety.The work that you do is worth so much much more compared to what they pay you.

Learn your crap.Oh and have your company put you in a Management training class.Just because you do a good job does not mean you are management material.

11. Poor

I worked at Harlan

Pros

Good mid level and trench proffesionals

Cons

Poor management, abuse of power anf people