Harland Clarke

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson

Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits(in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town(in 6 reviews)

• The company competes in a declining industry and senior management is more concerned with trimming down rather than growing(in 5 reviews)

A good company to work for.

Production Leader (Former Employee) Glen Burnie, MD

ProsGood salary & benefits. Good secured place to work.

ConsCould be very demanding at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was fairly good. Treated with respect.

Great learning experience as a fresher

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team leaders who inspire you to work and very good work place to learn and have fun. Compensation and career growth is better.

ConsNumber of human resources is less and team sizes are small which sometimes makes you feel less lively when it comes to work and fun.

Started out well, then it all went downhill

IT Support (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsHarland Clarke was a good company years ago before all the acquisitions and outsourcing.

ConsManagement does not listen to the employees at all. They tell you that things will get better but do nothing to follow up.
    Opportunities for advancement/promotions is very limited. Typically you only get promoted if you're buddies with management.
    Staff cuts and outsourcing has only hurt the company morale even more. Acquiring random companies in hopes of increasing revenue and profits is not working.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place, not so great people

ProsPretty good benefits, good pay. Chance for overtime if you want it. Good amount of paid and unpaid time-off. Steady job.

ConsHard to move up in the company. Been with this company over 8 years and am constantly passed up by co-workers without degrees and less experience. I have a degree, yet only a couple in the management and leadership team have anything more than a high school education. Management has a "good ole boy" like network where if you are not with the "in" crowd, you do not move up. Hard work and credentials are often ignored and looked at less than workers who are simply "yes" men and women. Leadership positions are often rotated among leaders and it is almost impossible to break the cycle. Speaking out is often seen as questioning authority and is punished as such. All awards are employee driven, so it is simply a popularity contest and the true hard workers do not get recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop posting job requirements that are not followed. If it says "degree required", then it should be as such. Fair opportunities should be given to all instead of recycling and laterally moving leadership.

Good company to work for, with stellar leadership (at the time).

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLeadership is fantastic, and always communicative. Company is very customer-focused, and that makes for a very effective team, regardless of your role.

ConsIt's a big company, and it's easy to get a bit lost there. Like most large companies, there are plenty of silos, and lots of tradition. Lots of "because we've always done it this way".

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking at improving by listening to employees.

Company with good benefits and pay.

Manager (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe company does have good benefits. They also treat the clients very well. Although the check printing part of the business is declining, senior management has constantly worked towards taking the company in different types of businesses.

ConsThey don't put enough effort into reorganization. They need to be more cohesive among managers in treating employees fairly. There is too much favoritism in which the same people overall get promoted or recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at being more cohesive in your management style to your employees. Stop showing favoritism to some employees while completely ignoring others.

Overall, the company has great core values to apply oneself.

CSS Supervisor II (Current Employee)

ProsThe company is very involved in community projects with United Way across the nation. They do a very good job in organizing their campaign and getting everyone involved. The core values in place by the company are great and is systemized across all facilities.

ConsThe company is "over" process oriented. There are too many hoops to jump through to get things done and causes "slow down" of project implementation. The company has very poor employee recognition for those that thrive off of it. They need to do a better job in providing that to all employees across the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more effectively.

They value medocrity

Customer Sales Representative (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe other associates were nice and the training programs and trainers were great. They had decent benefits and generally provided a decent work environment.

ConsI think they are suffering from the 'one bad apple' problem ~ they are extremely strict and quick to penalize even the slightest of infractions, and suspicious of employees that do very well. After three customers asked to talk to my supervisor to tell them how great it was to work with me, I was advised to "tone it down" or questioned as to whether I requested the customer to speak to my supervisor. It was so strange and frustrating that I found myself DIScouraging customers from telling my manager how pleased they were with my work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a sales rep is awesome and gets lots of great feedback from clients, don't tell the sales rep to "tone it back" or accuse them of asking for positive feedback. Celebrate awesomeness and encourage ALL your reps to shine, not just get by.

Hard Work, Little Pay

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsLarge company and easy to find work and learn new things. Learn a lot about the check printing and banking industry, as well as tax form information. Interact with employees from high profile companies and organizations.

ConsAlthough it is easy to learn and gain more task, a pay raise is not offered or rewarded. The raises are minimal. The company is all about numbers and maintaining their money, rather than paying the employees for the amount of work handled.

Unfair practices to employees

Printer Operator (Current Employee) Grapevine, TX

ProsDecent benefits. Good health insurance.... You immediately receive vacation time. Climate controlled environment.

ConsPoor pay raises. I've been employed there for almost 4 years and the total amount of raises that I have received equals to $1.26....that is an average of .30 a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduce a more fair pay scale. Offer employee's some type of bonuses for working so hard.

Worked for Harland Clarke? Contribute to the Community!