Harland Clarke

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson

Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits(in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town(in 6 reviews)

• The company competes in a declining industry and senior management is more concerned with trimming down rather than growing(in 5 reviews)

dirtiest call center i have ever seen

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe pay is pretty good. The job itself is super easy

ConsThe building is disgusting, management is a joke, and there is way too much favortism that goes on. The company does not care about it's employees on the phone at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get your head out of you asses

Sweatshop

Print Producction (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Prosnothing except the people on the production floor for the most part are friendly and fun to work with. The only pro is leaving when I did and not 10 years later.

ConsOverworked, underpaid, crappy management, crappy maintained equipment. Production goals that are nearly impossible to hit because they run that equipment 24/7 with little down time to fully service them. I also have seen them telling employees they are on scheduled overtime when not needed. If I was Chuck Dawson I would be firing the people that run this plant the way they do. Flushing money down the toilet on overtime when not needed is bad business.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice to upper management because they don't listen nor do they care. I was never so happy to turn my badge in. Your employee's are tired of the overtime and all the B.S. you put them through.

It' s Okay

ProsCompensation and benefits are good

Conslack of process and accountability

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Deceitfull Management

Customer Sales and Service (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsM-F. 6:30 am - 7:00 pm

ConsUnethical practices
    Break labor laws for wages, time off, accruing time, leave, vacation.
    Management in Colorado operates on size able double standards

Advice to Senior ManagementMake management accountable for their time off. Extended lunches. Second jobs (Aerobics instructors?!?)
    Agents need a reason to trust management again.
    Too many lies. No follow through. No accountability? Supervisors aren't able to lead when in meetings all the time. No transparancy

Worked for Libery Checks, prior to buyout by Harland, then Clarke.

Regional Account Executive (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsLiberty and Harland had some really good people concerned about the clients and were eager to assist new employees "learn the ropes".

ConsSome really bad direct sales managers who were very bad communicators and all about themselves. Hiring and or promotion process in the Sales world was who you know, not what you have done or what you wanted to do. Good old boys/girls environment prior to the Clarke buyout. Then everyone was pretty much let go in time.

My, Oh My - Where did the company go?

IT Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

Pros- Awesome team to work with. Process oriented and simply the best in the industry.
    - Dedicated group of people who share your passion for doing the right thing and helping to make the company successful
    - Dynamic and complex business environment which will push you all over the place. If you have the talent to rapidly shift priorities and work in a very fast paced environment, then HC IT is the place for you. We have more technologies running in production than most governments! Come have some fun with a ton of expensive toys.

Cons- Sr IT Mgt is clueless. They just go along with the "issue of the last 10 seconds" and simply can't plan their way out of a wet paper bad. They are ruled by emotion and the loudest screaming account manager or VP. No backbone what-so-ever.
    - You will get used and abused. If this is your thing, then sign right up because this company knows how to do that very well. Want to do a more experienced job for more than a year and not get the promo and pay to go along with it? Sign up here!
    - The company is literally dying on the vine. For the past 5 years, they have laid off 2/3 of the staff and outsourced a large segment of IT to India. Cost cutting is the only game in town. Has the company done anything to break into new markets to increase revenue from checks and related products? Ah, no. Has the company leadership bought a ton of snake oil from people thinking they had the idea to turn the company around? Ah, yes. Millions of $$ spend on crap ideas with no clear vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and smell the coffee! The company has no vision. The company has no core competency, except for bowing to our FI clients and saying "yes sir, may I have another". Checks are a dying product. Only my 60+ year old parents still write checks for God's sake. Sell off (or simply abandon) all non-profitable lines of business and actually focus on 1 or 2 things for 5+ years. 30 or more key company projects going on all at once is suicide. No organization can concentrate on that many things at once. Especially when you have cut staff to the bone and have not changed expectations. Truly become a company that "prints stuff". Paper is not going away. Your manufacturing organization is a gold mine, but you abuse them with stupid products and processes. Retail Channels is a gold mine, invest in it. Forms and statements are also gold mines, invest in them. Kill everything else. Actually get rid of something instead of asking IT to keep hanging on to systems that are old enough to vote!

I'll add this one thing - I would retire with this company if the senior company management would simply pull their heads out of the sand and look at where we are going. To survive, the company must make hard decisions - and the hard decision is not to cut more staff or expenses from the budget. The company is trying to do way to much. Figure out where the company is going, make the hard decisions to get rid of products and services that make no money (or stupidly low revenue) and concentrate on something concrete that I can sell in 30 seconds to a stranger in an elevator.

NOT the John Harland Company any more

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay was pretty good and location worked well for me. There were a lot of smart people and good employees at John Harland Co.

ConsOnce M&F acquired us and allowed Clarke management to take over, things started going down hill fast. They got rid of all Harland management and Harland policies and practices and slashed the bonus programs that rewarded lower/mid management and not just the executives. Now they are selling all their real estate and making employees work from home. Gee, wonder why they bought Faneuil in India, 'the provider of outsourced business processing solutions' according to their website. And as folks leave, they are not being replaced in the US, they are being replaced in India.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to stop lying to their employees but I guess that is not possible with the current business plan. I just hope that any employees that intend to 'ride it out to the end' understands that there is no big prize at the end....unless you want to relo to India.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees work hard to do their best for the customer. I was impressed on a daily basis at how everyone, regardless of process, put the customer first.

ConsThe company competes in a declining industry and senior management is more concerned with trimming down rather than growing.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

It was a great learning experience.

IT Audit Intern (Current Employee) Decatur, GA

ProsPeople are welcoming and always willing to help. Pay is also pretty good along with benefits.

ConsThere was no cons during the short time I was there.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

A great company to work for

Custom Press Operator (Former Employee) Milton, WA

ProsGreat pay, good training,room for advancement

Conslong hours during the busy season

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Harland Clarke? Contribute to the Community!