Harland Clarke Reviews

136 reviews filtered by
3.3
Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town (in 7 reviews)

• Check order is a dying industry and no future in that line of work (in 6 reviews)

1. Superb company!

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke

Pros

Great people, provided good equipment/training.

Cons

Contract was too short they went RPO but I had a wonderful experience

Great job!

2. Love my job

I have been working at Harland Clarke

Pros

Great culture, empowerment, benefits. Employees are more like family

Cons

Saturday work days. Raises are small, could use more money quicker

more OJT, more appreciation of lead workers, supervisors

3. Great pay for long term employees, good benefits, great people.

Former Employee - Printer Operator in Milton, WA
    Former Employee - Printer Operator in Milton, WA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for Harland Clarke. Using Lean manufacturing methods, teaches employees to think in terms of continual process improvement designed to eliminate waste, keeping employees in a life-longer-learner mindset. Good benefits.
    The organization is diversifying in to areas of business other than printing.
    I miss the great people I worked with at Harland Clarke for so many years (facility closure/lay-off)

Cons

The printing division serves a declining market, resulting in plant closures each year to ensure the organization meets financial goals. Work will be consolidated into the remaining production plants. Employees working in these printing facilities may face lay-offs in the coming years.

The production facility closure was handled in a respectful manner. The employees were treated fairly, and with compassion. Please continue this compassionate method when closing production facilities in the coming years.

5. Great people to work with - Lots of fun!

Current Employee - Customer Sales and Service in New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Sales and Service in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with all the thoughtful people. The management is positive and upbeat. There are lots of fun incentives.

Cons

The pay is not that great.

More attention to personal growth of employees and promotions for those who rate them would have a positive impact on morale and performance.

6. Great people, good benefits, challenging work

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Friendly open work environment, minimal travel, excellent benefits, generous time off policy, interesting and challenging work, great training and opportunity to learn

Cons

Shrinking business, constant reduction in force (RIFTS), Very small annual salary increases, Sometimes felt as if upper management was not guided by strategic goals.

7. BOA JUST BUY OUT HC....

Former Employee - Check Order Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Check Order Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Co workers, Benifits. They'll Work with your schedule but you must be a contractor to adjust your schedule before you get hired on.

Cons

Okay, where do I even start?! Takes more than 4 months to get converted from a contactor to an employee.... Your really working for BOA, not HC! Bank owns this part of the HC de department, most important they're so many 2 faced people in management. Soooo many people quit or get fired it's seriously a revolving door working there. Raises for specialist I is a total joke. ( 2 cents , 8 cents , maybe 50 cents ) depending on the supervisor. Speaking about supervisors especially mine, SHE was the most selfish supervisor I could even be supervised by. They don't look out for you at all! And kissed so much butt to the managers. I recommend you run while you have a chance. Also if your bilingual RUN.! you all are the busiest specialists is the center totally not worth extra 50 cents....

No advice you all are have your heads so high up there. There's no telling you anything.

8. Good culture, constantly evolving business

I have been working at Harland Clarke

Pros

Good, talented, forward thinking leadership

Cons

Average pay and benefits if you are not in sales

9. Not a Career Stop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke

Pros

Community focus and charitable spirit. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Inadequate training, pay for duties performed and expected and overall poor treatment of employees. Tendency of upper management to turn a blind eye and show favoritism.

Value the people who are the true backbone of the company by compensating them properly, have proper training and mentors in place and remove the attitude of cliques within the upper hierarchy.

10. It's about cost take out vs. valuing committed employees

Current Employee - Drone
    Current Employee - Drone

I have been working at Harland Clarke

Pros

Well recognized company in the market

Cons

Always trying to keep people from ear I g too much money. Capped earnings and inwardly focused control freak "leadership" stopped investing in people years ago. Unlike John H Harland Co., Harland Clarke has tunnel vision when it comes to a broad view of what it takes to be a great company.

Look in the mirror then resign

11. Some candid advice to those whose companies get acquired by Harland Clarke Holding Company

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any. They don't even have the basic decency to keep any of their promises or give decent severance packages to employees of the companies they acquire (and then let people go),

Cons

Advice if your company gets acquired by Harland-Clarke:

1) Do not believe ANYTHING coming from Harland-Clarke's executives (promises about growth, investing into your company and its products, dedication to people's careers, etc.)

2) Start looking for a new job. RIGHT AWAY (unless you were planning to retire anyway).

3) If H-C CEO or other executive(s) come to town to give a speech and meet-and-greet new employess: see advice 1) and 2)

4) If H-C make all kinds of promises about retention, growth, their great culture, how they intend to make the new companies they acquire successful etc.: see advice 1) and 2)

5) Whatever Harland-Clarke CEO tells you, in big or small meetings, town halls, webcasts or any other forum: see advice 1) and 2).

If I believed you had basic moral integrity and honesty, I'd probably share some. But I don't -- folks like you are why the main-stream America has such a negative perception of large corporations and their executives.