Harland Clarke

Updated September 15, 2014
3.2

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town (in 6 reviews)

• The company competes in a declining industry and senior management is more concerned with trimming down rather than growing (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong culture, high performing company, great people

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Some of the most talented people I have ever met. High performance culture, built on a foundation of Malcolm Baldrige, that expects the most of its people.

Cons

High performance and high pressure can go hand in hand. If you want to be challenged, grow as a professional and learn what an honest day's work looks like, this is a great company for you.

The people are the secret sauce. Honor that fact.

Internal SME

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were the ultimate professionals, many had degrees and lacked common sense.

Cons

Unfortunately this organization runs on an internal network. You have to know people to move up the ranks, and there is a lot of favoritism, and that breeds contempt among co-workers and department - everyone protects their little fiefdom

Open the doors and let some fresh air in - management process are extremely stale, Adopt some cross-training principle and leave that Sigma Six behind - stop chasing industry awards and begin to focus on the people you are driving away. There is a a lot of talent right under your roof and drop that personality testing - that is so 60's

Bank Mystery Shopper

Current Employee - Mystery Shopper  in  Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Mystery Shopper in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Harland Clarke as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The job is flexible, can pick and choose which shops you want to take. The people are friendly and easy to work with. The job is fun!

Cons

Really, I didn't find many cons at all...maybe there were not enough jobs to sign up for.

Continue to keep the shoppers happy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top Class to work with in the heart of the city!!!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Infrastructure, Good people, They hire people from good education background, tier companies. Flexible, Work life balance, friendly managers, good insurance benefits, This is a good place to work with. They exist for the past 3 years in Chennai and very old company in US.

Cons

Company is in the growth path.

Keep Growing

Top Notch Product Development Company to work for in Chennai!!

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chennai (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chennai (India)

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Culture. I would compare it on par with Google or other Tier 1 companies. Compensation is better than what the market pays. Flexible work timings & Dress Code and Family Medical Insurance are definitely plus points from an employee's angle. Harland Clarke is a 145 year old company headquartered in San Antonio Texas USA. Its a huge company and finacially the are very strong. Location of the company is defnitely advantageous. Its in Guindy Industrial Estate ( SKCL 2 Building 3rd Floor). Management is very friendly and cooperative. Almost 70% of the employees get an opportuinity to visit USA for business meetings and trainings.Ample learning opportunities.

Cons

Harland Clarke Global Development Center was started in Chennai two years back and the company is still in growing phase.

Keep up the good work!!

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Custom Press Operator  in  Milton, WA
    Former Employee - Custom Press Operator in Milton, WA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay, good training,room for advancement

Cons

long hours during the busy season

none

Harland Clarke is an awesome place to work.

Current Employee - Print Team Member
    Current Employee - Print Team Member

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits - Open door policy with all leadership - Opportunity to advance - Big on diversity with no "company" discrimination that I ever detected - Big on health and safety

Cons

Dying industry - mass consolidations and lay offs

Keep up the good work

Quality Assurance Manager

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, room to grow

Cons

Training could have been better at times

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Harland Clarke

Pros

Management does a good job in keeping the employees informed of company/industry changes. Very good as communicating corporate mission and goals. I enjoyed great work/life balance while employed. Excellent training at onset and throughout employment.

Cons

Fluctuating comp plan which was frustrating in longer sales cycles.

It is highly challenging and many areas are getting better all the time for the best of the best!

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Harland Clarke

Pros

Opportunity to bring new solutions to a challenged client base. We are growing, acquiring and partnering with companies that deliver better solutions to the financial institutions we serve. I have freedom to work my territory as I determine the best opportunities to pursue and I have great relationships with my clients and internal company support.

Cons

I am a highly productive employee and I demand a level of quality and responsiveness that I find harder to achieve as our responsibilities increase and our support departments are asked to deliver more with less.

Continue to believe in your employees and empower them to get results. Be sure to invest enough resources in Client Strategy and Legal departments so that we can quickly turn-around agreements. We better our relationships and keep the momentum when we are responsive. My Clients expectations are same day or next day responses. I hope when the resources are available, these two critical elements will be better coordinated and given higher priority. Thanks for your attention to this and for helping us to help our Clients increase their revenue, decrease their expenses and build profitable relationships with their account holders!

Worked for Harland Clarke? Contribute to the Community!