Harland Clarke

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson

Chuck Dawson

Pros:
  • "The company does have good benefits"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good pay, good benefits, room to grow"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Cost cutting is the only game in town"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The company competes in a declining industry and senior management is more concerned with trimming down rather than growing"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The open door policy does not apply at this company.

Shipping Clerk (Former Employee)
    Glen Burnie, MD

ProsThis company offers a nice 401 k package.

ConsHigh production, little pay. Poor communication from some not all in management.. Focus is only on clients not employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough, customers come first, apply more focus on employees.

Started out well, then it all went downhill

IT Support (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsHarland Clarke was a good company years ago before all the acquisitions and outsourcing.

ConsManagement does not listen to the employees at all. They tell you that things will get better but do nothing to follow up.
    Opportunities for advancement/promotions is very limited. Typically you only get promoted if you're buddies with management.
    Staff cuts and outsourcing has only hurt the company morale even more. Acquiring random companies in hopes of increasing revenue and profits is not working.

dirtiest call center i have ever seen

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe pay is pretty good. The job itself is super easy

ConsThe building is disgusting, management is a joke, and there is way too much favortism that goes on. The company does not care about it's employees on the phone at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get your head out of you asses

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sweatshop

Print Producction (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

Prosnothing except the people on the production floor for the most part are friendly and fun to work with. The only pro is leaving when I did and not 10 years later.

ConsOverworked, underpaid, crappy management, crappy maintained equipment. Production goals that are nearly impossible to hit because they run that equipment 24/7 with little down time to fully service them. I also have seen them telling employees they are on scheduled overtime when not needed. If I was Chuck Dawson I would be firing the people that run this plant the way they do. Flushing money down the toilet on overtime when not needed is bad business.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice to upper management because they don't listen nor do they care. I was never so happy to turn my badge in. Your employee's are tired of the overtime and all the B.S. you put them through.

NOT the John Harland Company any more

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay was pretty good and location worked well for me. There were a lot of smart people and good employees at John Harland Co.

ConsOnce M&F acquired us and allowed Clarke management to take over, things started going down hill fast. They got rid of all Harland management and Harland policies and practices and slashed the bonus programs that rewarded lower/mid management and not just the executives. Now they are selling all their real estate and making employees work from home. Gee, wonder why they bought Faneuil in India, 'the provider of outsourced business processing solutions' according to their website. And as folks leave, they are not being replaced in the US, they are being replaced in India.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to stop lying to their employees but I guess that is not possible with the current business plan. I just hope that any employees that intend to 'ride it out to the end' understands that there is no big prize at the end....unless you want to relo to India.

no future for jobs in US

Manager (Former Employee)
    Glen Burnie, MD

Prosgood pay, decent benefits. A few good 'seasoned' people are still there....riding it out until the company goes under or they can retire, whichever comes first.

ConsDying business that recently went from public to private ownership. Mgmt instructed to cut costs in order to survive. This includes moving a lot of the work to newly acquired company in India. They are in the process of selling all their real estate and moving remaining staff to leased spaces or having them work from home. hmmm. Wonder what the long term plan is???

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect an upswing in resignations after mid March, bonus or not, and major fall-out when the economy turns around. Of course, this may be exactly what RP wants....I just feel bad for the folks that DON'T leave. I mean really, what is worse, getting layed off or having to work 60-70 hr per week with no relief in sight? The stress is unbearable. It's not like there's gonna be some prize at the end.

One of the most frustrating places I have worked

New Braunfels, TX

ProsBenefits seem competitive, pay was competitive

Cons* Layoffs every year for the duration of my time there
    * Incompetent coworkers with mistakes that cost the company tens of thousands of dollars still managed to survive
    * Management favorites promoted time and time again despite lack of job skill or work ethic
    * Creativity not encouraged
    * Stuck around for the paycheck as long as possible, but in the end it was soul-numbing

Worst Company I have ever worked for, and was there for 4.5 years

Marketing Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsOffered decent Health Benefits through UnitedHealthcare

ConsEverything else was below par or just shockingly dissatisfying.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job, respect employees, cut out the cattiness, give raises, at minimum cost of living increases, too many things come to mind to write at the moment.

Very Stuffy outdated company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge multinational company that can add some heavy weight to a resume.

Excellent self-insured benefits.

Provides modern and new equipment.

ConsNo telecommuting for even IT jobs at all. Executive team doesn't "believe in it".

Horrible work and life balance. Management will "talk to you" if you work less than a 50 hour week, for not being a "team player"

Very old-school work culture mentality. Give me 110 percent while I file you away as an employee number.

Very little communication with management and upper management, makes it hard to determine goals and projects.

Salary NOT market competitive.

Does not believe in raises but expects you to be innovative and give more than your best. No other incentives either.

Company specializes in a declining market. Stays afloat with layoffs and liquidations, and purchasing other businesses.

Typical temp-to-hire position representing a client of this company which has a project that ends too soon.

Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe over one week I did work there, and my co-workers!

ConsWrongful termination thanks to company's corrupt practices of hiring too many people to start project, then laying off majority due to slow production. This produces an overall extremely high turnover and can ruin the company's "once great" reputation for the entire community.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a permanent end to all of this corruption. Do not cover up the real reasons why contractors were terminated with lame excuses like "this was due to attendance/punctuality issues" when the truth really is due to slow production and company's budget cutbacks. Myself and others who suffered this practice are at no-fault of our own, therefore, we all deserve our jobs back!

Worked for Harland Clarke? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harland Clarke reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harland Clarke CEO Chuck Dawson. All 107 reviews posted anonymously by Harland Clarke employees.