Harland Clarke

Updated October 16, 2014
3.3

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town (in 7 reviews)

• Dying industry - mass consolidations and lay offs (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

They value medocrity

Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Harland Clarke part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other associates were nice and the training programs and trainers were great. They had decent benefits and generally provided a decent work environment.

Cons

I think they are suffering from the 'one bad apple' problem ~ they are extremely strict and quick to penalize even the slightest of infractions, and suspicious of employees that do very well. After three customers asked to talk to my supervisor to tell them how great it was to work with me, I was advised to "tone it down" or questioned as to whether I requested the customer to speak to my supervisor. It was so strange and frustrating that I found myself DIScouraging customers from telling my manager how pleased they were with my work.

If a sales rep is awesome and gets lots of great feedback from clients, don't tell the sales rep to "tone it back" or accuse them of asking for positive feedback. Celebrate awesomeness and encourage ALL your reps to shine, not just get by.

Hard Work, Little Pay

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large company and easy to find work and learn new things. Learn a lot about the check printing and banking industry, as well as tax form information. Interact with employees from high profile companies and organizations.

Cons

Although it is easy to learn and gain more task, a pay raise is not offered or rewarded. The raises are minimal. The company is all about numbers and maintaining their money, rather than paying the employees for the amount of work handled.

Egregious, unethical management, now that Clark leaders are in charge

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The "line workers" -- especially those from the original Harland company -- and real people. They care about the customers, and are a dying breed of worker.

Cons

The company now has killed all that was good about Harland. I just learned of a quality manager who was fired after 26 years of flawless service to the company -- with no severance, no unused vacation pay, no time to collect things from his office. Literally had his computer and phone (and 26 years of history) stripped away from him, not even allowed to collect his personal items from his office, and escorted out of the building. Why? A quality breach occurred after new Clark management downsized quality staff, refused to backfill exits, refused to hire coverage for people on maternity leave, and refused to continue Six Sigma practices executed under Harland but no longer valued under Clark. When the inevitable occurred, they blamed someone who has worked tirelessly, including nights and weekends for the company. These middle America workers have gotten no pay raises or bonuses for several years while management gets bonuses based on cost cutting and blames workers for issues that arise from that cost cutting. It seems unbelievable that this behavior is legal, yet the company engages in it without repercussions. It embodies the worst of American business today.

One day your actions will catch up with you. Ethics and people do matter. Although you can get away with blatantly unethical behavior for a while, eventually your FI customers will see the mounting conversation in the social sphere and decide it's not good business to do business with you.

Unfair practices to employees

Current Employee - Printer Operator in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Printer Operator in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Good health insurance.... You immediately receive vacation time. Climate controlled environment.

Cons

Poor pay raises. I've been employed there for almost 4 years and the total amount of raises that I have received equals to $1.26....that is an average of .30 a year.

Produce a more fair pay scale. Offer employee's some type of bonuses for working so hard.

struggling to find identity

Former Employee - Middle Management, Corporate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Middle Management, Corporate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good culture regarding employee respect and engagement

Cons

Still struggling to find identity to replace the existing check printer mentality

NA

dirtiest call center i have ever seen

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good. The job itself is super easy

Cons

The building is disgusting, management is a joke, and there is way too much favortism that goes on. The company does not care about it's employees on the phone at all.

Please get your head out of you asses

Sweatshop

Former Employee - Print Producction in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Print Producction in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nothing except the people on the production floor for the most part are friendly and fun to work with. The only pro is leaving when I did and not 10 years later.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, crappy management, crappy maintained equipment. Production goals that are nearly impossible to hit because they run that equipment 24/7 with little down time to fully service them. I also have seen them telling employees they are on scheduled overtime when not needed. If I was Chuck Dawson I would be firing the people that run this plant the way they do. Flushing money down the toilet on overtime when not needed is bad business.

I have no advice to upper management because they don't listen nor do they care. I was never so happy to turn my badge in. Your employee's are tired of the overtime and all the B.S. you put them through.

It' s Okay

I have been working at Harland Clarke

Pros

Compensation and benefits are good

Cons

lack of process and accountability

Deceitfull Management

Current Employee - Customer Sales and Service in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Sales and Service in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (more than an year)

Pros

M-F. 6:30 am - 7:00 pm

Cons

Unethical practices
    Break labor laws for wages, time off, accruing time, leave, vacation.
    Management in Colorado operates on size able double standards

Make management accountable for their time off. Extended lunches. Second jobs (Aerobics instructors?!?)
    Agents need a reason to trust management again.
    Too many lies. No follow through. No accountability? Supervisors aren't able to lead when in meetings all the time. No transparancy

Worked for Libery Checks, prior to buyout by Harland, then Clarke.

Former Employee - Regional Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Regional Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Liberty and Harland had some really good people concerned about the clients and were eager to assist new employees "learn the ropes".

Cons

Some really bad direct sales managers who were very bad communicators and all about themselves. Hiring and or promotion process in the Sales world was who you know, not what you have done or what you wanted to do. Good old boys/girls environment prior to the Clarke buyout. Then everyone was pretty much let go in time.