Harland Clarke

Employer Engaged

awesome work enviroment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great people, fun job if you like fast paced enviroment

Cons

worked at st pete plant last 4 years of 10 year employment upper management was mostly hispanic which was good for the large hispanic population of employees but not for the non-hispanic employees definate favoritism shown no amount of complaints alleviated the problems thankfully when clark america bought harland that plant was shut down many employees relocated to other sites. however the greensboro nc plant was an absolutely great place to work with excellent benefits and awesome management

recognize your most valuable employees and their work ethics

Great company but checks are a dying industry and company needs to do something other than checks.

Former Employee - Customer Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great processes. Very structured environment.

Cons

High Turnover at the call center. Dying industry.

A good company to work for.

Former Employee - Production Leader in Glen Burnie, MD
    Former Employee - Production Leader in Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary & benefits. Good secured place to work.

Cons

Could be very demanding at times.

Management was fairly good. Treated with respect.

Great learning experience as a fresher

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Great team leaders who inspire you to work and very good work place to learn and have fun. Compensation and career growth is better.

Cons

Number of human resources is less and team sizes are small which sometimes makes you feel less lively when it comes to work and fun.

Good place, not so great people

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefits, good pay. Chance for overtime if you want it. Good amount of paid and unpaid time-off. Steady job.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company. Been with this company over 8 years and am constantly passed up by co-workers without degrees and less experience. I have a degree, yet only a couple in the management and leadership team have anything more than a high school education. Management has a "good ole boy" like network where if you are not with the "in" crowd, you do not move up. Hard work and credentials are often ignored and looked at less than workers who are simply "yes" men and women. Leadership positions are often rotated among leaders and it is almost impossible to break the cycle. Speaking out is often seen as questioning authority and is punished as such. All awards are employee driven, so it is simply a popularity contest and the true hard workers do not get recognized.

Stop posting job requirements that are not followed. If it says "degree required", then it should be as such. Fair opportunities should be given to all instead of recycling and laterally moving leadership.

Started out well, then it all went downhill

Former Employee - IT Support in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - IT Support in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Harland Clarke was a good company years ago before all the acquisitions and outsourcing.

Cons

Management does not listen to the employees at all. They tell you that things will get better but do nothing to follow up.
    Opportunities for advancement/promotions is very limited. Typically you only get promoted if you're buddies with management.
    Staff cuts and outsourcing has only hurt the company morale even more. Acquiring random companies in hopes of increasing revenue and profits is not working.

Good company to work for, with stellar leadership (at the time).

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Leadership is fantastic, and always communicative. Company is very customer-focused, and that makes for a very effective team, regardless of your role.

Cons

It's a big company, and it's easy to get a bit lost there. Like most large companies, there are plenty of silos, and lots of tradition. Lots of "because we've always done it this way".

Keep looking at improving by listening to employees.

Company with good benefits and pay.

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company does have good benefits. They also treat the clients very well. Although the check printing part of the business is declining, senior management has constantly worked towards taking the company in different types of businesses.

Cons

They don't put enough effort into reorganization. They need to be more cohesive among managers in treating employees fairly. There is too much favoritism in which the same people overall get promoted or recognized.

Look at being more cohesive in your management style to your employees. Stop showing favoritism to some employees while completely ignoring others.

Overall, the company has great core values to apply oneself.

Current Employee - CSS Supervisor II
    Current Employee - CSS Supervisor II

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is very involved in community projects with United Way across the nation. They do a very good job in organizing their campaign and getting everyone involved. The core values in place by the company are great and is systemized across all facilities.

Cons

The company is "over" process oriented. There are too many hoops to jump through to get things done and causes "slow down" of project implementation. The company has very poor employee recognition for those that thrive off of it. They need to do a better job in providing that to all employees across the board.

Communicate more effectively.

They value medocrity

Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Harland Clarke part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The other associates were nice and the training programs and trainers were great. They had decent benefits and generally provided a decent work environment.

Cons

I think they are suffering from the 'one bad apple' problem ~ they are extremely strict and quick to penalize even the slightest of infractions, and suspicious of employees that do very well. After three customers asked to talk to my supervisor to tell them how great it was to work with me, I was advised to "tone it down" or questioned as to whether I requested the customer to speak to my supervisor. It was so strange and frustrating that I found myself DIScouraging customers from telling my manager how pleased they were with my work.

If a sales rep is awesome and gets lots of great feedback from clients, don't tell the sales rep to "tone it back" or accuse them of asking for positive feedback. Celebrate awesomeness and encourage ALL your reps to shine, not just get by.