Harland Clarke Reviews

Not a Career Stop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke

Pros

Community focus and charitable spirit. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Inadequate training, pay for duties performed and expected and overall poor treatment of employees. Tendency of upper management to turn a blind eye and show favoritism.

Advice to Management

Value the people who are the true backbone of the company by compensating them properly, have proper training and mentors in place and remove the attitude of cliques within the upper hierarchy.

It's about cost take out vs. valuing committed employees

Current Employee - Drone
    Current Employee - Drone

I have been working at Harland Clarke

Pros

Well recognized company in the market

Cons

Always trying to keep people from ear I g too much money. Capped earnings and inwardly focused control freak "leadership" stopped investing in people years ago. Unlike John H Harland Co., Harland Clarke has tunnel vision when it comes to a broad view of what it takes to be a great company.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror then resign

3. An amazing company to work for. They have fun and enjoy working with the entire office

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company offers several opportunities to volunteer in our community. They have a great Diversity and Inclusion team, as well as above average training.

Cons

No longer have a call center in Colorado. The closure did not offer paid transfers for anyone wanting to stay with the company.

Advice to Management

Make certain each employee is given the rate of pay they deserve.

5. Shipper

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

great pay, easy job, love job

Cons

gets a little boring, coworkers can be rude

6. To Big For Their Own Good

Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good managers and really great people

Cons

Micro-managmenment killed the spirit of a great company

Advice to Management

start over

7. Good pay and benefits, if you don't mind being treated like a robot.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Harland Clarke part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work here are the pay and the benefits, I also made quite a few lifelong friends. When I worked there raises were very much affected by your performance and that can be a good or bad thing.

Cons

I felt like they expected me to be a robot. There was very little room for human error. Also they were very very strict on adherence to your schedule, even if you missed your break because you were stuck on a phone call for them it was likely that your adherence score for the day would go way down increasing your chances of getting written up,

Stuck in the Stone Ages

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice, considerate and friendly employees - Work/life balance

Cons

- Harland Clarke is in the business of preserving existing businesses and market share, not developing new products or services nor creating value in the market. They are dying a slow death, or as the leadership likes to say, "managed decline." - There's an inability to innovate within the company, which is both cultural and structural. Attempts to drive new growth channels internally have failed, largely because the slow-moving organization can't get out of the way of itself. Since organic growth isn't happening, they've looked externally and purchased Valassis for $1.8 billion. So now when junk mail fills your mailbox each week (such as Red Plum) you'll know that this is Harland Clarke's new and exciting growth vehicle for the business - A fear of making decisions permeates throughout the organization. Employees are "yes-men" at every level of the organization, from production line workers to the CEO, who follows MacAndrews & Forbes - The employee base, while very kind and friendly, is the most unhealthy I've ever seen in terms of weight, diet, exercise, etc. While HC offers health care, I found private market insurance to be more affordable because, as an employee on the company's health care plan, I'm subsidizing so many unhealthy co-workers. And when it comes to their health and wellness department, tobacco cessation is their #1 priority...another reminder that this company is stuck in decades past

Advice to Management

Figure out how you are going to provide real value to customers across the next decade, and position the company for the future. You missed the electronic payments boom 10-15 years ago, you missed the mobile payments boom of the past five years, and judging by the $1.8B acquisition of Valassis, you see the future as being more targeted junk mail in people's mailboxes. Meanwhile your employee base is aging, your technology is outdated, the businesses of your key customers are struggling, and companies are innovating all around you. Sadly, since the entire executive leadership team is male, grey haired and balding, they can coast into the sunset of retirement by continuing to effectively "manage the decline" of this business. But meanwhile, there are two full generations of smart, talented employees who would never think twice about joining Harland Clarke because they want to be part of the future, not the past.

9. Fun and interesting place to work.

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Harland Clarke. There was a lot of involvement with the United Way program and all the work that the employees and upper management did for the cause benefited a lot of people in need. There were also a lot of work incentive games that made the place fun to work at.

Cons

The only issue I had while working there was that there were times that the upper management seemed to be more concerned with making the client happy than actually listening to what the agents on the phones encountered. We were even told that the client wanted feedback on the daily encounters to see what we would suggest as possible improvements but it seemed to fall on dead ears.

Advice to Management

Take the time and listen to what the front line people were seeing so that it can potentially assist with creating a better relationship with the client.

10. Decent Pay. Good People

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent ($11/hour with the agency taking a few cents off the top.) I got the job through an employment agency so your pay gets bumped up a little if you get hired on full-time after 6 months. The managers were all kind and understanding but firm. Most people you talk to on the phone are reasonably kind and not usually angry.

Cons

They monitor everything you do, so it's possible to feel like you are being micromanaged. Time off is very hard to get, you have to hope you can find someone to take your shift otherwise you are penalized and could be fired. People are sometimes angry if there are problems with their orders or if they don't understand what's going on.

Advice to Management

keep treating people well. Offer more incentives for higher performance

They do not reliably and without prejudice recruit from within.

I have been working at Harland Clarke

Pros

Steady medical insurance Easy job to do Sedentary, no lifting

Cons

The company does not live up to its own hype The company does not do what it says it will do The company favors money over people in unfortunate typical corporate fashion

RSS Feed </> Embed