Harland Clarke

Updated September 15, 2014
3.2

Harland Clarke President and CEO Chuck Dawson
Chuck Dawson

Pros
  • The company does have good benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, room to grow (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Cost cutting is the only game in town (in 6 reviews)

• The company competes in a declining industry and senior management is more concerned with trimming down rather than growing (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Frustrating company to work for... but if you can not find anything else, its not a terrible transition job.

Current Employee - Plant Worker (Machine Operator)  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Plant Worker (Machine Operator) in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, given a lot of vacation time, very easy job. Also very hard to get fired unless you never show up to work (you also can get written up quite a few times before it being a real problem). If you come in, do your job, hit your numbers, don't have an opinion, and you will be fine. If you are single and dont have kids its not a bad job.

Cons

pay is not worth all you have to put up with, a majority of the people are not very smart (including management) can be very frustrating to work with. very low pay.. Work overtime A lot! They are swapping to 12 hour shifts and working every other weekend (including Sundays), this means if you are day shift you work 6:30am-6:45pm and if you are night shift you will work 6:30pm-6:45am... makes for very long days for very little pay. If you make a mistake you get written up very quickly. very very easy to get hurt on this job!! It is very hard to balance your work and life, specially if you are on night shift. I asked my supervisor one week if we will be working over the weekend or not, because I wanted to make plans with my family if we weren't I was told "dont know yet, you have no life out side these doors, this is your life".... not the greatest way to boost moral!

Care more about your employees. Stop letting the very old employees run the plant! They make the younger employees who can hit their numbers very angry, and are extremely rude to them...you will soon have people over 60 working there who are too old to move and will never hit your numbers! When a situation arises call in both employees to discuss the issue, don't just assume and place blame without taking to both parties.

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Custom Press Operator  in  Milton, WA
    Former Employee - Custom Press Operator in Milton, WA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay, good training,room for advancement

Cons

long hours during the busy season

none

Clarke American=GOOD, Harland Clarke=BAD

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great fellow workers. Very intelligent and hard working. Bonus plan was never very good but has been eliminated. Health plan was okay. 401k plan was okay.

Cons

Management of this company is pretty bad in a rapidly declining industry. There is no innovation, just reaction. Way too many excellent employees have been laid off or fear to be soon. This was a nice company to work for when it was just Clarke American. Since merger with Harland, it has rapidly gone downhill.

Don't be in such a mad rush to eliminate employees, especially those who are good at what they do, dedicated and hard working. The company is becoming a sweat shop.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job review of Harland Clarke

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time for more than a year

Pros

There was a good work environment with many exellent co-workers. They also offer a nice, quiet work space.

Cons

Company outlook as of 2013 is unstable to stay the least. Many key contributors have quit or been laid off due to what seems to be a quarterly company reorganization. Senior management is blatently two-faced, not forthcoming. This sentiment is consistent across employees throught the company.

Lack of vision for the future, software a mess

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty good benefits, at times, the work was interesting. Pay was pretty good coming in. Some of the people I worked with were really sharp.

Cons

No particularly inspiring vision for a path out of the printed check world. Way too much process to get simple things done, Lack of focus on how to write good software, so things got to be a mess. Team dynamics had some real problems, but no leadership to solve issues. No raises while I was there after that initial nice salary.

Find a vision-not a fluffy 'vision statement', but a clear vision of how to make money going forward-and make sure everybody in the organization understands it.

Good Company - Good people - But in a declining market

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fair pay scale, good people, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Business supports a declining market

no future for jobs in US

Former Employee - Manager  in  Glen Burnie, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good pay, decent benefits. A few good 'seasoned' people are still there....riding it out until the company goes under or they can retire, whichever comes first.

Cons

Dying business that recently went from public to private ownership. Mgmt instructed to cut costs in order to survive. This includes moving a lot of the work to newly acquired company in India. They are in the process of selling all their real estate and moving remaining staff to leased spaces or having them work from home. hmmm. Wonder what the long term plan is???

Expect an upswing in resignations after mid March, bonus or not, and major fall-out when the economy turns around. Of course, this may be exactly what RP wants....I just feel bad for the folks that DON'T leave. I mean really, what is worse, getting layed off or having to work 60-70 hr per week with no relief in sight? The stress is unbearable. It's not like there's gonna be some prize at the end.

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Trainer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Trainer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time

Pros

Caring environment most of the time
    Willing to promote from within
    Acknowledgement for doing well - very concerned with employee recognition

Cons

They're more worried about the business than personal/family life a lot
    Very strict about security - no cell phones out, no matter what
    Hire strictly through contracting agencies for specialist positions
    Sometimes hard to move up - really have to stay on management for well-deserved promotions

Billing Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, GA

I worked at Harland Clarke full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I liked the Billing Team. I enjoyed working with a smart group of people who's ultimate goal is to get the job done. My team was reliable, dependable and goal-oriented.

Cons

Repetitive work, can be unchallenging.

Its Ok

Current Employee - Architect  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Architect in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Harland Clarke full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company with technology veririty

Cons

No strategic out look , no real sales/marketing objectives

Worked for Harland Clarke? Contribute to the Community!