Harlequin Enterprises

Add Photos

Donna M. Hayes

Marketing

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsWork-life balance, great culture, innovative

ConsCulture is changing in Marketing

Advice to Senior ManagementMarketing Leadership from top level is required

Stuck in the past

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can develop a good working relationship with authors who really appreciate editorial input.

ConsManagement has failed to adapt to a changing publishing environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow Harper's lead.

Great place if you want work/life balance

Editorial Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI work with some of the most kind, dedicated and smart people in the business. Company really does strive to provide an atmosphere that's conducive to a healthy work/life balance.

ConsPay, while at industry standard, is quite low.

Advice to Senior ManagementOf all fifty employees, only a handful (3-5) are able to live in Manhattan. Please consider the cost of living here when calculating our salaries.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underwhelming

Senior Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you love romance it's obviously a great place to work. I enjoyed working with some truly passionate and dedicated authors.

ConsHarlequin doesn't really foster innovative or creative thinking. The company has done business the same way for years and doesn't think it should change, even when it's not working. It's focused on its brand and not its authors.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't maintain the same editorial process and expect that you'll get different results. Despite some good editors, the culture is fairly uninspiring and seems out-of-touch.

People there were very nice and friendly

Lean Six Sigma Consultant (Former Employee) Depew, NY

ProsGood head of the quality department

ConsNothing Really. Everything was great.

Slow pace, good lifestyle, no pay

Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNon-stressful environment, access to commercial fiction

ConsPainfully slow career advancement and pace

Advice to Senior ManagementAward and promote up and coming staff to retain talent

Outlook not so good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Don Mills, ON (Canada)

ProsThe top reason for staying here for the benefits package, as the health insurance and work life balance is good.

ConsCompensation and career opportunities are not good, in fact, a lot of people are losing their jobs, even those who have been here for decades, as management tries to slim down overhead costs. This is starting to show in deliberate staff shortages in some departments, with people leaving and not being replaced, and lack of adequate training for the entry-level people being hired to replace higher-level positions in order to cut costs. We are also seeing smaller bonuses and salary increases, with the excuse that we need to pay dividends. At the same time the problem is compounded by certain people in upper level positions leading their subordinates to have to do more work to get fewer and fewer customers, instead of simplifying things to reduce complexity and costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is too top-heavy, and cutting down too fast on the people who are truly passionate and/or doing all the work. If we are going to reduce staff due to the economy, we should be reducing the workload by simplifying instead of making things more complicated. Also, some of us have seen the Torstar investors' report, and it just looks bad when your CEO earns $3 million a year when at the same time we reduce staff, bonuses, and salary increases.

Meh

ProsThe work-life balance is great. Staff members are generally very friendly. The hours are good.

ConsThe job is too easy. Innovation is discouraged. Upper management is unresponsive to employees' concerns. The business was just sold, so the future is uncertain.

Great company to work for

ProsThe people make the difference

Conschange is a slow process

Advice to Senior ManagementNew Blood is always good

Best company to work for

Production Coordinator (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat culture, great people, great product. You'll never have more fun while working hard.

ConsThe pay, while on par with most publishing companies, is very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was very good. However, more permanent entry-level positions would be good—the work is not going to vanish at the end of one year so it makes sense to make the position permanent rather than contract.

Worked for Harlequin Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!