Harley-Davidson Reviews

2.8
Harley-Davidson President & CEO Matthew S. Levatich
Matthew S. Levatich
1 Rating

Pros
  • There is a lot of great people working there management is the problem really (in 16 reviews)

• Great brand with a great history (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance depending on your position (in 9 reviews)

• It is a shame that they stopped listening to the floor personnel and concentrated more on making money for upper management (in 10 reviews)

H-D Casual

Current Employee - Technician in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Technician in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Harley-Davidson (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and Its Harley Davidson!

Cons

High expectations for getting to much work done.
    They care only about how many motors getting out the door. There saying is quality over quantity but more like quantity over quality.
    I have been a hd casual for 3 years now and still not fully hired on. They only hire people who kiss butt and not the ones who work there butts off.
    No opportunity to advance.
    Some managers are racist.

They don't care about anyone's personal life.

Advice to Management

Hire managers and promote team leaders who have years of experience and great people skills. Hire on casuals by seniority and work ethics, Start noticing your workers and have a personal work relationship with your work group. Stop expecting too much from workers who have already been there more then 2 years and have learned jobs quickly. There some team leaders who just sit all day doing nothing reading books. There are some managers who don't have people skills and are very rude. Is this who you want to hire? If it continues this way Harley Davidson will just be some company that used to be High but is slowly going down.

2. Great Atmosphere

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Harley-Davidson as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some great people to work with and I love the casual attire. I enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

Different departments sometimes have lack of communication.

3. Passionate and Relaxed Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Harley-Davidson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've never worked anywhere else that has people with greater passion for the sport and the brand. Great culture.

Cons

Smaller company with big company challenges. Some resource constraints, which translate into high workloads and a demanding environment.

Advice to Management

Aid in the effective deployment of resources to manage the most critical work. Foster the passion and culture for continued success.

Avoid at all cost

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Harley-Davidson as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Dress code is ridiculously relaxed. I wouldn't go to church in "acceptable" dress for Harley-Davidson.

Cons

Contractors are over worked and under appreciated, and are essentially given the false hope that if they do well there will be a full time job for them. Company has does the same thing for over 110 years; and they have no interest on updating these outdated business practices, even if gigantic efficiencies are created in doing so. Progressing in the company has nothing to do with talent or work ethic, and everything to do with office politics. Do yourself a favor and avoid working here.

Advice to Management

All the marketing in the world can't save a company that doesn't even try to grow new and younger customer demographics. Treat contractors better; they are literally the only ones doing work for the company.

6. Supply Chain Specialist

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Harley-Davidson full-time

Pros

Great brand of motorcycle, reputable brand

Cons

The culture is very slow to change

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make suggestions to leadership to change and improve processes

Once a great company... The downward spiral began in 2010.

Current Employee - Management in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Management in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Harley-Davidson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is still above average for the area.
    There are some great people to work with that genuinely care about H-D and and want to see it succeed.

Cons

The company has made some drastic changes since 2010. The focus has been on holding employees accountable to everything they do. It is no longer about creativity and working towards the same goal. No longer treat employees with respect and dignity. The focus now is about disciplining both salaried and hourly for every thing possible.
    Very little opportunity for advancement and raises are 2% for meets expectations.

Advice to Management

You may want to treat your people with respect and dignity again. All those loyal caring employees that once would do anything to make the company succeed are leaving or are being forced out at an alarming rate. The company is no longer about creativity and innovation. Its about following the rules. If senior leadership doesn't change this attitude the company will lose the remaining great employees fast. I hoped to retire from H-D one day, but on the current path I can't see that happening. I hope for those of us remaining the new CEO will once again focus one the most valuable asset. The people that work at H-D that truly care and were once very proud to be an employee.

Unsatisfactory

Former Intern - CI Co-op in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Intern - CI Co-op in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Harley-Davidson as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good company with a good reputation, and the opportunities are plentiful and most of the people are genuine.

Cons

Pay is comparably low for my position, people weren't quite as friendly as other companies I've worked for. Culture was just off. Almost all of the employees are old white men, and I completely didn't fit in. The only black workers were the contracted security guards. There were no blacks, hispanics, or asians on my whole floor, and the only Indians were brought over from India, not hired by H-D.

Advice to Management

Diversity training, inclusion training, and hiring more diverse people. You can't have a division trying to sell motorcycles specifically to black and mexican men and not hire any black or mexican men, ditto for women.

From Great to Terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Incredible brand strength keeps the company going during tough times. If you like motorcycling, it's an obvious plus. Company has generous a tuition reimbursement program to advance your education. Room for advancement depending if you make the right connections with key senior leaders and are willing to work long hours with little work/life balance. Opportunity to work rallies and interact with customers that love the brand is great. If you like traveling, many opportunities to go to interesting places. There are still a few caring leaders within top management that actually care about people more than politics. If you are looking to add this company to your resume and then get out in a few years great, if you are looking for long term employment, those days are long over unless new CEO can turn things around with the current disengaged workforce.

Cons

Gallup engagement scores are extremely low relative to the industry. Former CEO managed by intimidation, and unfortunately this behavior is evident with a number of senior leaders which directly contradicts the values espoused by the company. Corporate culture has been in a tail spin for a number of years, and hopefully the new CEO who is a longtime employee who came up through the ranks can start to turn things around. Depending on your area, some long work hours with little work life balance. Frequent reorganizations within departments, usually every 1-2 years leaves employees confused and spinning their wheels, and usually are for the benefit of the person(s) doing the reorganizing. Easy for management to eliminate your position by changing your job description and you are left having to re-apply for your job since you no longer have the necessary skill set, and most likely you will end up at best being demoted, worst terminated. In some areas of the company, people are so fearful of certain senior leaders they won't provide feedback since many feel they will be reprimanded or fired, yet these leaders wonder why no one is speaking up?

Advice to Management

Start taking care of your employees versus your self! Do something with the feedback you actually get and engagement will start to improve when employees actually see senior leaders changing their behaviors and truly living the values and modeling the behaviors versus having a "do as I say not as I do approach!" New CEO needs to clean house with those that have been managing by intimidation and fear, which will help show employees those behaviors will not be tolerated and ultimately lead to a more trusting and engaged workforce.

machinest

Current Employee - Machine Operation in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Machine Operation in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Harley-Davidson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

U have some freedom when your machine is running. If u can read a caliper people will think u came from nasa

Cons

Poor attitude of mgmt. Everything is by the book. No exceptions. Writing people up and firing people must get u huge bonuses. Mind numbing boring work

Advice to Management

Stay in the break room the whole shift and get off people's backs. Almost a hostile work environment. Used to be great when the original founders bought then from AMF but now all mgmt are ex military a- holes. Find a different place to work. Benefits and attendance policy Suck. Mandatory OT all the time plus lots of Saturdays. Quit Milwaukee plant after 18 years. I still have nightmares.

casual

Former Employee - Causal Machinist in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Causal Machinist in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people that I worked with were great! They tried to make work fun until supervisors and union stewards would give a stern talking to others that would crack a joke just walking by. Loved walking to my machine and not having to talk to anyone for an entire shift.

Cons

Other individuals took the union business side of things too seriously. I was HATED just because I was a casual and wasn't treated like another human being because I was a causal. I truly think that my experience would have been far better had I been treated like everyone else. Had to pay union dues just to be told on a regular basis of "your just a casual and I don't have to give you an answer". Stop telling casuals to work less because they make the regulars look bad.

Not what I was expecting total and complete facade of what Harley Davidson ever was.

Advice to Management

Allow for casuals to be hired after a time period. It would remove the DISCRIMINATION that happens everyday to the casuals.

RSS Feed </> Embed