Harley-Davidson

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Harley-Davidson President & CEO Keith Wandell

Keith Wandell

95 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great culture - able to be myself!

Milwaukee, WI

ProsThough H-D is a large company, it's still "small" enough to have a voice and have visibility to leadership. Though over 110 years old, there still significant opportunity to make an impact on the business. I like the concentration on continuous improvement, leadership development and professional development. My department allows for flexibility in my schedule and it's nice to know its there when I need it.

ConsFeels very hierarchical, some see others as simply as career bands. There are some cumbersome processes which make it a challenging to accomplish something with urgency. Communication could be better cross-functionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate transparently; invest in your workforce to make sure the organization is staffed appropriately; continue to support innovation!

Intern at harley davidson

Intern (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsVery relaxed and results oriented culture

ConsEven high level/high pay positions have to work in cubicles

Rapidly modernizing heritage company.

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe company has been improving dramatically since the recession.

ConsThere are some remnants of old Harley. Success may make the company once again become complacent.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush technology further to make people passionate about what they are doing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not too bad

Engineer II (Former Employee)

ProsFun product
    Most of the people are good

ConsUNIONS are annoying and whiny. They live under a rock and think anything asked of them is a tremendous responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many people are over-worked and one step away from complete melt-down.

Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIts a FAMILY working Environment

ConsIt's a who you know promotion type of environment.

Decent benefits and a passion for motorcycles keeps me going

Marketing Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsIt's an amazing brand recognized around the world - when you say you work for Harley, you'll feel proud . Good 401(k), profit sharing, great maternity/paternity benefits, casual dress... And of course... Motorcycles are awesome.

ConsThe arrogant leadership in Marketing doesn't set clear goals which can cause drain on employee engagement. Highly political environment in the Marketing department. Questions around morals arise.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you wish to create higher engagement, do what you say you're going to do. Balance workloads among various teams. Reward employees who are working hard and are over-taxed. Stop the boondoggling. Provide more leadership training for senior leaders - there are very few senior leaders who are truly respected by employees.

Formerly a US powerhouse company

Milwaukee, WI

ProsLong history of leisure bikes, great customers, good 'ol boy mentality in house. Getting to the rallys and seeing the smiles on customers faces is empowering.

ConsExpect to be displaced as the company continues to outsource every department to the cheapest bidder in an effort to increase the stock price, and do nothing in pricing for the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-think American. Bring the departments back under American control and hiring Americans. This continual outsourcing is not strengthening the brand for the long term. Only padding the bottom line for now. As customers continue to see shoddy re-used designs with little innovation, the brand will lose value, and stocks will sink. Globalization into a "World-Class" organization is fine, though consider your employees as your stockholders as well.

A process of testing to get hired, but worth it if you are willing to put in the effort

Production Tech I (Current Employee)
    Menomonee Falls, WI

ProsI was hired at PTO as a "Casual" employee-hoping to make it to "Regular" at some point. Intensive training/testing program (it took 3 months) w/ physical testing, and you must pass all tests (23 hrs) to be hired, and don't be late or expect to slack off-you will be working! Employees and Managers were all very helpful and training was very good for your position-but you have to be able to absorb and utilize info quickly, and get down to business. I enjoy work, and everyday I'm learning something new-huge, modern, factory with mostly long-time employees (union) but I look forward to getting to work every day, and everyone is willing to help on my team. Plus you get employee discounts, use the workout room, and they have a great cafeteria & company store on site too! If you like Harley's it's pretty cool to build them, but be prepared to be assigned any shift, and work some overtime-the pay is good also for the position, with room for advancement if you give it a good effort and can follow the rules.

ConsIt's a factory/assembly job-but I like the work. Obviously, you can be assigned 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift, so your hours can vary with mandatory overtime for casual workforce. You will probably work nights and weekends, but nothing out of the ordinary for this position.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is on the rebound and changing to meet the modern realities of production. Long time employees know "what it used to be like", but overall everyone who I met there is friendly, professional, and willing to help you succeed, even if your not a "permanent" employee. No guarantees of long-term employment, but I would love to have a shot at being a permanent employee w/benefits.

Terrible atmosphere, extremly negative employees.

Production Tech I (Current Employee)
    Menomonee Falls, WI

ProsNone, company does not have any respect for casuals which they hire. No chance for benefits, as some casuals have been employed for over 2 years.

ConsAngry employees, mostly about contract and "casual" employees, making for an hostile work environment. Union members pitted against casuals, making it hard to work or succeed. Employees refuse to train the casuals. Even though casuals are forced to join the union, they have no representation and are often fired for no cause, except for a career employee fabricating information.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep in and speak up for hard working casual employees who are there to work, not hear gossip and lies.

Completely dependent upon your department and manager. No cohesion w/in the company.

Engineer II (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsIt's a cool product, and many people love to ride. Engineering has a great talent pool, an intelligent workforce. Tuition reimbursement and profit sharing are great benefits. Ample training opportunities provided.

ConsLeadership is not aligned with reality or what is going on with front line leaders and entry-mid level engineering and ops. Goals that are not achievable are set and you must meet them for no other reason than someone set it for you. Discrimination has happened to more than a handful as very traditional managers are not promoted based upon leadership and people management experience but instead upon other facets. A great employee does not always equate to a great manager. If you are an engineer in a protected class, avoid this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAligning all silos of the organization to business and sales goals may make sense on paper, but it has also been detrimental to many aspects of product development and engineering. I hope this does not continue to affect the talent pool negatively as it would be great to see the company recruit and maintain top talent for the benefit of all shareholders.

Worked for Harley-Davidson? Contribute to the Community!

Harley-Davidson Videos

Harley-Davidson – Why Work for Us?

Harley-Davidson Motor Company is an American manufacturer of motorcycles based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We simply would not be where we are today if it were not for the passion of our employees. A career at… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harley-Davidson reviews and ratings in Milwaukee, WI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harley-Davidson CEO Keith Wandell. All 95 reviews posted anonymously by Harley-Davidson employees.