Harley-Davidson

Harley-Davidson Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Harley-Davidson President & CEO Keith Wandell

Keith Wandell

Pros
  • alot of great people and thats about it(in 14 reviews)

• Leadership communication, work environment, work life balance(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance can be imbalanced, depending upon the specific area where you work(in 7 reviews)

• It is a shame that they stopped listening to the floor personnel and concentrated more on making money for upper management(in 10 reviews)

Project Manager

ProsSome of the best reasons to work here include that you get to know about future products and that there is a variety of work to do.

ConsSome of the cons are that there is constant change and a lot of management. There are a lot of meetings and metric measuring that can sometimes get in the way of real work.

Motor clothes sales

Motorclothes Sales Personnel (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat environment and awesome folks.

ConsWork on saturday and only women hired for motor clothes. Have at least 1 guy there so he can interact with the women customers

Wonderful company, you work with people who end up friends!

Finance Manager (Former Employee) Bay City, MI

ProsVery family friendly, great benifits

ConsHard competing with the local credit unions on financing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Mostly great people, amazing product, poor leadership, poor culture."

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wauwatosa, WI

ProsDeveloping products that connect the world. Passionate employees, great pay, can be yourself (dress/appearance wise), lots of opportunity for personal development, tuition reimbursement, knowledgeable employees, a rich 110 year history,...

ConsPoor leadership; Lack of genuine vision. A culture of mistrust and fear. Lack of true innovation, due to fear of failing. Bottom-line/shareholder centric, instead of employee centric. Lots of passionate, talented employees have left the company. Lots of non-passionate, cut-rate contractors/new employees replacing them. Too much time spent documenting process and "checking boxes" instead of designing and developing awesome motorcycles. The internal culture does not reflect what Harley-Davidson stands for and projects out to it's customers/the world. It's very hypocritical.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome employee oriented in everything you do. True leaders inspire, and sacrifice themselves for the group/the family. Your actions should align with the companies values and beliefs. Come down from your ivory tower and get to know us, genuinely. Build trust with us. Harley-Davidson will cease to exist without the passion of the employees. Employees must feel safe, trusted, allowed to fail, happy, respected, and appreciated! Employees should be NUMBER ONE in every decision you make. Everything else is secondary. Stop outsourcing everything! Stop hiring contractors! It's not only about the bottom line.

Avert distrust, look elsewhere.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat people to work with, even up to project managers. Able to wear comfortable attire at all levels. Employee perks are good. Can get some training that will benefit the next employer.

ConsCan not be assured a career with H-D anymore. Their history of not laying off came to an end in 2008 and continues to be tarnished for any career seekers. One may be assured they are doing fine in their position one day, with great reviews, and told the next day they are no longer needed, or that their last day will be x, since it was decided to outsource their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementOust Wandell and get someone in that is more of a visionary, and not a stock & options puppet. At the rate of the changes going on, H-D is on track to have less than 2,000 US Salary jobs in the next 2 years. That is WAY down from 10 years ago. He may even be adjusting the company to be a nice buyout. The information that has been provided from management to employees gets contradicted in subsequent statements, causing trust to be broken. Work to build trust with the employee base and regain employee customers. As it is many have stopped looking to purchase H-D Merchandise since they don't want to own something they may not be a part of in 6 months.

Intern at harley davidson

Intern (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsVery relaxed and results oriented culture

ConsEven high level/high pay positions have to work in cubicles

Great culture - able to be myself!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThough H-D is a large company, it's still "small" enough to have a voice and have visibility to leadership. Though over 110 years old, there still significant opportunity to make an impact on the business. I like the concentration on continuous improvement, leadership development and professional development. My department allows for flexibility in my schedule and it's nice to know its there when I need it.

ConsFeels very hierarchical, some see others as simply as career bands. There are some cumbersome processes which make it a challenging to accomplish something with urgency. Communication could be better cross-functionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate transparently; invest in your workforce to make sure the organization is staffed appropriately; continue to support innovation!

Rapidly modernizing heritage company.

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe company has been improving dramatically since the recession.

ConsThere are some remnants of old Harley. Success may make the company once again become complacent.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush technology further to make people passionate about what they are doing.

Not too bad

Engineer II (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsFun product
    Most of the people are good

ConsUNIONS are annoying and whiny. They live under a rock and think anything asked of them is a tremendous responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many people are over-worked and one step away from complete melt-down.

Good company but could be great.

Production Tech I (Current Employee) Tomahawk, WI

ProsVery knowledgeable co-workers & straight-forward jobs. Harley takes safety very seriously. 4 days on- 3 days off are great.

ConsNot much room for advancement.

Worked for Harley-Davidson? Contribute to the Community!