Harley-Davidson

Harley-Davidson Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Harley-Davidson President & CEO Keith Wandell

Keith Wandell

Pros:
  • "Still some great people who truly CARE about the company in the rank and file of IT dept"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Leadership communication, work environment, work life balance"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance can be imbalanced, depending upon the specific area where you work"
    in 7 reviews
  • "It is a shame that they stopped listening to the floor personnel and concentrated more on making money for upper management"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

motor clothes

I worked at Harley-Davidson

Proseveryone is friendly, customers, co-workers,etc.

Consno cons really, great place to work.

Harley-Davidson

I have been working at Harley-Davidson

ProsGreat people to work with
laid back atmosphere
jeans and tshirts are acceptable everyday

Consminimal to nonexistent room for advancement as an intern

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no talent management at Harley-Davidson

I loved working at Harley-Davidson

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time

ProsGreat people, great brand and benefits. Everyone is happy to be here, people are very friendly and always willing and eager to help. Cultural fit is very important because they want to keep this great environment. It really felt like a family.

ConsSometimes resources were limited, but this was something I actually really enjoyed because it gave me the opportunity to step into different areas that I would not have had a chance to see otherwise.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Company! Keep looking to the future and bringing out forward-thinking products.

Adv. Manufacturing Co-op Experience

Adv Manufacturing Co-op (Former Employee)
Tomahawk, WI

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time for less than a year

ProsMeet a lot of great people, chance to travel to other Harley facilities around the country, get back as much as you put in.

ConsLong hours, boring projects, switched between 1st and 2nd shift multiple times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore technical engineering experience such as programming robots, statistical testing, design of fixtures.

Central Service Coordinator, Concord Ont HQ

Central Services Coordinator (Former Employee)
Concord, CA

I worked at Harley-Davidson as a contractor for less than a year

ProsDeeley Harley-Davidson Canada HQ in Concord, On is a great place to work. There is opportunity for growth, the people are very friendly, and the pay was great for entry level. You can tell that those who work there, want to be there and it makes for a happy environments. Also, management is very down to earth (no one person is better than the other). They are definitely a family and one can be ever so lucky to be part of this great family.

ConsOnly worked here for a short period of time. Got too slow and was laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, everything is great.

Lots of change

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time

ProsBrand, Culture, Product, People, Growing globally

ConsLimited growth opportunities
Constant change
Bad behavior by leaders
Work life balance

Completely dependent upon your department and manager. No cohesion w/in the company.

Engineer II (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's a cool product, and many people love to ride. Engineering has a great talent pool, an intelligent workforce. Tuition reimbursement and profit sharing are great benefits. Ample training opportunities provided.

ConsLeadership is not aligned with reality or what is going on with front line leaders and entry-mid level engineering and ops. Goals that are not achievable are set and you must meet them for no other reason than someone set it for you. Discrimination has happened to more than a handful as very traditional managers are not promoted based upon leadership and people management experience but instead upon other facets. A great employee does not always equate to a great manager. If you are an engineer in a protected class, avoid this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAligning all silos of the organization to business and sales goals may make sense on paper, but it has also been detrimental to many aspects of product development and engineering. I hope this does not continue to affect the talent pool negatively as it would be great to see the company recruit and maintain top talent for the benefit of all shareholders.

Not bad for a temporary position.

Assembler Casual (Former Employee)
York, PA

I worked at Harley-Davidson as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat people. Free access to in house gym. When we had the radio, it was excellent.

ConsManagement lacks personality. Not tolerant of any lateness or absence, even if due to snow or severe illness. Three strikes and they fire you, even if you are an excellent employee. Upper management decided the music they piped through the plant was a distraction, and took it away like we were children. 1 ten minute break in 5 hours is barely enough to grab a drink and use the restroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to those that actually do the work to run the line. We want the bikes out just as much as you do, but we would like to enjoy the 10 hour mandatory work days.

A process of testing to get hired, but worth it if you are willing to put in the effort

Production Tech I (Current Employee)
Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Harley-Davidson as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI was hired at PTO as a "Casual" employee-hoping to make it to "Regular" at some point. Intensive training/testing program (it took 3 months) w/ physical testing, and you must pass all tests (23 hrs) to be hired, and don't be late or expect to slack off-you will be working! Employees and Managers were all very helpful and training was very good for your position-but you have to be able to absorb and utilize info quickly, and get down to business. I enjoy work, and everyday I'm learning something new-huge, modern, factory with mostly long-time employees (union) but I look forward to getting to work every day, and everyone is willing to help on my team. Plus you get employee discounts, use the workout room, and they have a great cafeteria & company store on site too! If you like Harley's it's pretty cool to build them, but be prepared to be assigned any shift, and work some overtime-the pay is good also for the position, with room for advancement if you give it a good effort and can follow the rules.

ConsIt's a factory/assembly job-but I like the work. Obviously, you can be assigned 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift, so your hours can vary with mandatory overtime for casual workforce. You will probably work nights and weekends, but nothing out of the ordinary for this position.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is on the rebound and changing to meet the modern realities of production. Long time employees know "what it used to be like", but overall everyone who I met there is friendly, professional, and willing to help you succeed, even if your not a "permanent" employee. No guarantees of long-term employment, but I would love to have a shot at being a permanent employee w/benefits.

Excellent company, moving forward, improving work areas

Ergonomist (Former Employee)
York, PA

I worked at Harley-Davidson as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGood people, exciting work and always looking ahead

Conslong hours some days some days , such as launching a new model

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep contract people more than 3 years

Worked for Harley-Davidson? Contribute to the Community!

Harley-Davidson Videos

Harley-Davidson – Why Work for Us?

Harley-Davidson Motor Company is an American manufacturer of motorcycles based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We simply would not be where we are today if it were not for the passion of our employees. A career at… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harley-Davidson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harley-Davidson CEO Keith Wandell. All 174 reviews posted anonymously by Harley-Davidson employees.