Harley-Davidson

Harley-Davidson Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Harley-Davidson President & CEO Keith Wandell

Keith Wandell

Pros
  • There is a lot of great people working there management is the problem really(in 15 reviews)

• Leadership communication, work environment, work life balance(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance can be imbalanced, depending upon the specific area where you work(in 7 reviews)

• It is a shame that they stopped listening to the floor personnel and concentrated more on making money for upper management(in 10 reviews)

Project Manager

ProsSome of the best reasons to work here include that you get to know about future products and that there is a variety of work to do.

ConsSome of the cons are that there is constant change and a lot of management. There are a lot of meetings and metric measuring that can sometimes get in the way of real work.

Motor clothes sales

Motorclothes Sales Personnel (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat environment and awesome folks.

ConsWork on saturday and only women hired for motor clothes. Have at least 1 guy there so he can interact with the women customers

Wonderful company, you work with people who end up friends!

Finance Manager (Former Employee) Bay City, MI

ProsVery family friendly, great benifits

ConsHard competing with the local credit unions on financing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Should be the best place to work but has a long way to go.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsBest brand, excellent employees, fun product, awesome customers. Lots of focus on the customer experience and differentiating HD brand from others. The brand is so strong and has so much goodwill that employees will put up with many negative experiences, (as will customers), job dissatisfaction and burnout because they want to continue associating with this cool brand and product. Many opportunities for professional development and learning. A few top leaders create glimmers of hope through solid skills, proven performance AND the ability to support and motivate people (but not most). Get to go to fun customer events. Most employees are really dedicated and hard-working but some are very competitive. Comp and benefits are good if money is what motivates you.

ConsSenior leadership is out of touch with employees and many have a "Do as I say not as I do" attitude which constantly erodes trust and teaches middle management that you have to be political to succeed. A few senior leaders whose behavior is so far off the stated values are allowed to bully and intimidate people, and everyone sees it, again killing trust. True employee engagement is a long way off. Lots of politics and competing among top leaders that causes frustration in the organization and lack of clear direction and accountability. There are a few really good senior leaders who get results in constructive ways and who treat people with respect, so I hope they are noticed since they are the exception and only hope of changing the culture. Some areas of the business are so over-stretched they are about to tip over, but people are often seen as expendable because the brand is so strong senior management assumes there will always be someone else to replace those who leave. This should be a great place to work but there needs to be true culture change for that to ever be true. It is a draining place to work for many. Health and wellness programs are designed to cut costs but there is no serious support for being truly well.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. Values are only words unless everyone models them and is held accountable for living them. Employees are your link to dealers and customers, so if employees are frustrated, drained, disillusioned or unwell, you will never achieve your performance goals or be truly productive. Senior leadership needs to make sure it is a group of people who have diverse styles, thinking, experience, who challenge each other in a positive way. Right now they all look awfully similar, which is dangerous. People aren't motivated just by money. Inspire them! There is so much potential to be great. In my opinion, management who have been there for the last 10 years are so afraid of the organization becoming complacent of any success (like it was when things got really bad) that they have overcompensated and are now afraid to celebrate successes or give too much positive feedback because employees might not want to improve. This is not true and is demotivating. Every employee, with few exceptions, comes to HD wanting to do a great job and contribute, but they are often treated as numbers rather than humans who need to be led with skill, motivated (not through fear), replenished and appreciated (not just recognized through $$ or hollow words). Bottom line -- trust is low, people do not feel set up for success or cared for and results aren't as good as they could be.

Avert distrust, look elsewhere.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat people to work with, even up to project managers. Able to wear comfortable attire at all levels. Employee perks are good. Can get some training that will benefit the next employer.

ConsCan not be assured a career with H-D anymore. Their history of not laying off came to an end in 2008 and continues to be tarnished for any career seekers. One may be assured they are doing fine in their position one day, with great reviews, and told the next day they are no longer needed, or that their last day will be x, since it was decided to outsource their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementOust Wandell and get someone in that is more of a visionary, and not a stock & options puppet. At the rate of the changes going on, H-D is on track to have less than 2,000 US Salary jobs in the next 2 years. That is WAY down from 10 years ago. He may even be adjusting the company to be a nice buyout. The information that has been provided from management to employees gets contradicted in subsequent statements, causing trust to be broken. Work to build trust with the employee base and regain employee customers. As it is many have stopped looking to purchase H-D Merchandise since they don't want to own something they may not be a part of in 6 months.

"Mostly great people, amazing product, poor leadership, poor culture."

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wauwatosa, WI

ProsDeveloping products that connect the world. Passionate employees, great pay, can be yourself (dress/appearance wise), lots of opportunity for personal development, tuition reimbursement, knowledgeable employees, a rich 110 year history,...

ConsPoor leadership; Lack of genuine vision. A culture of mistrust and fear. Lack of true innovation, due to fear of failing. Bottom-line/shareholder centric, instead of employee centric. Lots of passionate, talented employees have left the company. Lots of non-passionate, cut-rate contractors/new employees replacing them. Too much time spent documenting process and "checking boxes" instead of designing and developing awesome motorcycles. The internal culture does not reflect what Harley-Davidson stands for and projects out to it's customers/the world. It's very hypocritical.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome employee oriented in everything you do. True leaders inspire, and sacrifice themselves for the group/the family. Your actions should align with the companies values and beliefs. Come down from your ivory tower and get to know us, genuinely. Build trust with us. Harley-Davidson will cease to exist without the passion of the employees. Employees must feel safe, trusted, allowed to fail, happy, respected, and appreciated! Employees should be NUMBER ONE in every decision you make. Everything else is secondary. Stop outsourcing everything! Stop hiring contractors! It's not only about the bottom line.

Intern at harley davidson

Intern (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsVery relaxed and results oriented culture

ConsEven high level/high pay positions have to work in cubicles

Great culture - able to be myself!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThough H-D is a large company, it's still "small" enough to have a voice and have visibility to leadership. Though over 110 years old, there still significant opportunity to make an impact on the business. I like the concentration on continuous improvement, leadership development and professional development. My department allows for flexibility in my schedule and it's nice to know its there when I need it.

ConsFeels very hierarchical, some see others as simply as career bands. There are some cumbersome processes which make it a challenging to accomplish something with urgency. Communication could be better cross-functionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate transparently; invest in your workforce to make sure the organization is staffed appropriately; continue to support innovation!

Rapidly modernizing heritage company.

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe company has been improving dramatically since the recession.

ConsThere are some remnants of old Harley. Success may make the company once again become complacent.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush technology further to make people passionate about what they are doing.

Not too bad

Engineer II (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsFun product
    Most of the people are good

ConsUNIONS are annoying and whiny. They live under a rock and think anything asked of them is a tremendous responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many people are over-worked and one step away from complete melt-down.

Worked for Harley-Davidson? Contribute to the Community!