Harley-Davidson

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014

Harley-Davidson President & CEO Keith Wandell
Keith Wandell

Pros
  • There is a lot of great people working there management is the problem really (in 15 reviews)

• Great brand with a great history (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance depending on your position (in 8 reviews)

• It is a shame that they stopped listening to the floor personnel and concentrated more on making money for upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

Former Employee - Project Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Numerous opportunities to change positions every two years that keep the job interesting and boost your resume. The product is something to be proud of is a wonderful perk

Cons

Beurocratic policies slow down innovation and stiffle motivation at times. The company has come a long ways, but still has further to go.

Turnover of top management sets an uneasy expectation for the workers

Great brand and a mediocre workplace

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Harley-Davidson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Harley-Davidson is an amazing brand with a global community of people who love you just because of who you work for. Our brand position and products are exceptional. You aren't just working for a company, you are working for a cause. You can always be proud of saying "I work for Harley-Davidson" even if you aren't proud of the way you feel about working for Harley-Davidson. That is a backhanded compliment, but there is a sense of pride in working for an American Icon that means so much to people all over the world. You'll be surrounded by people who care about the brand and what it means to deliver an exceptional product and experience to customers who are committed to the brand. Insert note, it's more about the brand than the company.

Cons

What people think about Harley-Davidson rarely matches how I feel about Harley-Davidson. There are some amazing people who work here. People who care deeply about the brand and our customers but it just doesn't translate to the experience of working for the company. Since a company doesn't really exist without people, it's really a disconnect between managers/leaders and the workforce. Pay is fair, though HR and hiring managers lean on the strength of the brand to compensate for pay and benefits that will hit the low end of the spectrum. While we talk about being a flexible workplace it rarely translates. It is a 110 year old company rooted in 110 year old management practices. Decisions are often slow, painfully slow, and generally based more on relationships than what is best. Career opportunities are thin and very dependent on

Great Product, Unhealthy Work Environment

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The brand recognition and hourly people you work with and the low level salary employees.

Cons

The leadership has lost touch with their employees. There is to much politics involved to get anything accomplished. Low level managment are just bobbleheads, afraid to say anything for fear of retribution from senior managment. THe only ideas valued come from senior ledership. Their way or the highway. There is very little work/life balance depending on your position.

Lsten to the people, and make it a fun enjoyable place to come to work, and continue to make the best motorcycles.

Poor Management and incorrect handling of employees.

Current Employee - Parts Technician I in York, PA
    Current Employee - Parts Technician I in York, PA

I have been working at Harley-Davidson as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

In this economy and in the York,Pa area, the best paying job for manual labor. You get 20% off Harley Davidson purchases, Ford, Dell and Apple products.

Cons

Hours suck, no paid vacation, holiday pay or sick days. Scheduled for 10 hr. shift, but you work 11 1/2 a lot. You will usually work into Thanksgiving Day if you work the night shift.

We are people, not slaves, that buy your products. We already spend more time there than we do with our families, Even if you let us go home at midnight, that would be better that working till 6 in the morning. You end up sleeping the day away and not spending any time with family.

Eh

I have been working at Harley-Davidson full-time

Pros

good discount, fun staff to work with, great group of customers

Cons

pay is terrible for the amount of work you do

Great to Not so Good

Former Employee - Manufacturing
    Former Employee - Manufacturing

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great brand with a great history

Cons

Declining pay and benefits. Leadership would do anything to save a nickel and it could severely hurt the brand.

Support the rhetoric regarding Leadership. The latest group of leaders are harsh dictators.

Not bad but a great deal of tension between salaried and union workers.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in York, PA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in York, PA

I worked at Harley-Davidson as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

world class manufacturing operation with customer oriented products

Cons

demanding hours and tense work environment

make hours less demanding

Middle Management. Cross-functional area.

I have been working at Harley-Davidson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible. Supportive. Aggressive. Challenging. Unique.

Cons

Can be VERY challenging at times.

Unfortunately it transitioned from a great career to just another job until something better came along.

Former Employee - Power Train Technician I in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Power Train Technician I in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wages, although frozen, are good for now.

Cons

Corporate greed is killing this workforce. A 7 year wage freeze, terrible insurance, and the CEO still claims growth in profits. The growth came from the money saved by eliminating 700 permanent jobs with seasonal workers that get no benefits and less pay.

This company is going in the wrong direction. Making more lower middle class workers by taking their benefits and wages is going to kill this company.

Should be the best place to work but has a long way to go.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Harley-Davidson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best brand, excellent employees, fun product, awesome customers. Lots of focus on the customer experience and differentiating HD brand from others. The brand is so strong and has so much goodwill that employees will put up with many negative experiences, (as will customers), job dissatisfaction and burnout because they want to continue associating with this cool brand and product. Many opportunities for professional development and learning. A few top leaders create glimmers of hope through solid skills, proven performance AND the ability to support and motivate people (but not most). Get to go to fun customer events. Most employees are really dedicated and hard-working but some are very competitive. Comp and benefits are good if money is what motivates you.

Cons

Senior leadership is out of touch with employees and many have a "Do as I say not as I do" attitude which constantly erodes trust and teaches middle management that you have to be political to succeed. A few senior leaders whose behavior is so far off the stated values are allowed to bully and intimidate people, and everyone sees it, again killing trust. True employee engagement is a long way off. Lots of politics and competing among top leaders that causes frustration in the organization and lack of clear direction and accountability. There are a few really good senior leaders who get results in constructive ways and who treat people with respect, so I hope they are noticed since they are the exception and only hope of changing the culture. Some areas of the business are so over-stretched they are about to tip over, but people are often seen as expendable because the brand is so strong senior management assumes there will always be someone else to replace those who leave. This should be a great place to work but there needs to be true culture change for that to ever be true. It is a draining place to work for many. Health and wellness programs are designed to cut costs but there is no serious support for being truly well.

See above. Values are only words unless everyone models them and is held accountable for living them. Employees are your link to dealers and customers, so if employees are frustrated, drained, disillusioned or unwell, you will never achieve your performance goals or be truly productive. Senior leadership needs to make sure it is a group of people who have diverse styles, thinking, experience, who challenge each other in a positive way. Right now they all look awfully similar, which is dangerous. People aren't motivated just by money. Inspire them! There is so much potential to be great. In my opinion, management who have been there for the last 10 years are so afraid of the organization becoming complacent of any success (like it was when things got really bad) that they have overcompensated and are now afraid to celebrate successes or give too much positive feedback because employees might not want to improve. This is not true and is demotivating. Every employee, with few exceptions, comes to HD wanting to do a great job and contribute, but they are often treated as numbers rather than humans who need to be led with skill, motivated (not through fear), replenished and appreciated (not just recognized through $$ or hollow words). Bottom line -- trust is low, people do not feel set up for success or cared for and results aren't as good as they could be.