Harman Becker Automotive Systems

Harman Becker Automotive Systems Reviews

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
3.4

Harman Becker Automotive Systems Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Dinesh C. Paliwal
Dinesh C. Paliwal

I have found Harman to be an exciting, inventive place to expand my career

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems

Pros

Innovation, creativity, fun and friendly atmosphere, challenging work, growing/hiring

Cons

Like any company, growing pains can make it difficult to keep ahead of the hiring curve

Solidify general operating procedures

Great potential

Former Employee - Analyst Repair in Franklin, KY
    Former Employee - Analyst Repair in Franklin, KY

I worked at Harman Becker Automotive Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

able to research and find troubleshooting techniques to resolve end user issues that have been tested for normal bugs.

Cons

want hire techs permanent. To allow for proper commitment.

too many chiefs.

We did our best to please them, we worked very hard and long days, they rewarded us by moving overseas.

Former Employee - Production Operator in Washington, MO
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Washington, MO

I worked at Harman Becker Automotive Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work there are that there is always overtime if you wanted it, I did have wonderful co-workers who were fun to work with. The job was challenging with something new to handle every day.

Cons

There were absolutely no opportunities for advancement. Raises were the same across the board for the best and the worst workers, no incentives to go above and beyond the norm. There was a very poor work/life balance, we were forced to work 6 and sometimes 7 days a week for weeks on end.

Please do your job! Don't delegate all of your duties to your employees. Try to act like you care about your people and stop playing favorites. Consider having a better evaluation process instead of giving everyone an average review. Try compensating employees according to their worth, not giving the same raises across the board.

Wall Street driving CEO has totally ruined the quality of product

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Relax and flexible environment

Cons

Cost is higher priority than anything

Great culture, relaxing atmosphere, but not much room to grow.

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Harman Becker Automotive Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My internship here was great. I enjoyed the people I worked with, and the hours were really relaxing as an intern.

Cons

However, there wasn't much room to grow with experience. My job was solely to software test on radio systems.

Great Company! Proper Planning can go a long way.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineering Technician in Franklin, KY
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineering Technician in Franklin, KY

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They take care of their employees, promote healthy lifestyle with monetary compensation for activity, strong and diverse customer base, excellent margins which assisted in great compensation and benefits. As a business, they are continually growing stronger and capitalizing on new markets. I would recommend anyone to seek employment with Harman, but their US Automotive facilities will take over your life. (Any technical/management role, plan on 60-80 hours/week), but they will heavily compensate you for your time.

Cons

If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. The team members at the manufacturing facility I was at, worked a great amount of overtime (1 day off a month, every 3rd Sunday). That high labor cost (accepted by upper mgmt.) wasn't the right direction for the company, and it inevitably lead to a complete global restructure (move to low cost countries). The talent and skills in those countries lead to many quality issues; US facilities had to run to their aid. The worst part of the company was the lack of sharing information. Harman didn't work in unison, instead they competed with one another. Germany would develop software and wouldn't give any information on it. (when you did get info, it was all in German). The US facilities have to figure things out on their own. Ironically, in the Harman Production System one of core columns was sharing information.

Strategic planning can assist the higher cost countries in being more competitive. Our Indirect labor was always 50-60% over, and our direct labor was almost doubled at times. Staff management planned the overtime, upper management allowed us to plan for the excessive overtime. Encourage/Enforce sharing of information. At one point, we held over $6 million dollars in non-conforming inventory due to software and testing issues; Germany provided minimum aid. We had to have an inside man in the German plant to sneak and ship us male and female wiring harness connectors.

Satisfactory

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very kind work environment, everyone is very nice and cooperative. Working time is flexible, nobody will push you with too much pressure only if you can get your work done.

Cons

This is a test branch, nothing excited, all you have to do is test and test. Work itself doesn't require you to get deep into it, you only have to get the test results. Of course, this is the case in the low level test.

Provide some kind of train or related materials to the low level test employees and have them to take advantage of the work time.

Manufacturing Site

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems

Pros

Excellent people at local site, pay ok, working conditions typical of electronics
    Good products

Cons

40 hours was a rarity, factory ran a 7x24 schedule with a 5x24 staff
    Top Corporate management too concerned with stock price.

When you win business in Automotive, you have to deliver the product.

Use to be a great company

Current Employee - Principal Electrical Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Principal Electrical Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Audio is fun, work with good technology and great discounts on Harman equipment. The direct management is good to work with

Cons

The management above the director level are really bad, they don't care about the people working at the ground level and want to send pretty much all the work to china

Get with it the program... Your not going to get a quality product designed in china!

Dynamic, developing, entrepreneurial, innovative electronic product inventor.

Former Employee - Commodity Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Commodity Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Harman Becker Automotive Systems

Pros

Management acceptance and support to staff to enable staff to work individually and within dynamic teams with self guidance. Ability to travel when important to the job. Skill building training. Dynamic, entrepreneurial environment encourages individuality. Global scope and interactive with groups in other divisions and countries.

Cons

As with many dynamic companies, there is a need to educated all members on how to make wise choices about costs that detract from P&L.

Make sure that management philosophy and actions are consistent with what customers expect in their own business culture and support managers and staff who work to keep all customers pleased.