Harman Becker Automotive Systems
www.harman.com Stamford, CT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Harman Becker Automotive Systems Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harman Becker Automotive Systems Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Dinesh C. Paliwal

Dinesh C. Paliwal

Great Company! Proper Planning can go a long way.

Electrical Engineering Technician (Current Employee)
Franklin, KY

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey take care of their employees, promote healthy lifestyle with monetary compensation for activity, strong and diverse customer base, excellent margins which assisted in great compensation and benefits. As a business, they are continually growing stronger and capitalizing on new markets. I would recommend anyone to seek employment with Harman, but their US Automotive facilities will take over your life. (Any technical/management role, plan on 60-80 hours/week), but they will heavily compensate you for your time.

ConsIf you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. The team members at the manufacturing facility I was at, worked a great amount of overtime (1 day off a month, every 3rd Sunday). That high labor cost (accepted by upper mgmt.) wasn't the right direction for the company, and it inevitably lead to a complete global restructure (move to low cost countries). The talent and skills in those countries lead to many quality issues; US facilities had to run to their aid. The worst part of the company was the lack of sharing information. Harman didn't work in unison, instead they competed with one another. Germany would develop software and wouldn't give any information on it. (when you did get info, it was all in German). The US facilities have to figure things out on their own. Ironically, in the Harman Production System one of core columns was sharing information.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategic planning can assist the higher cost countries in being more competitive. Our Indirect labor was always 50-60% over, and our direct labor was almost doubled at times. Staff management planned the overtime, upper management allowed us to plan for the excessive overtime. Encourage/Enforce sharing of information. At one point, we held over $6 million dollars in non-conforming inventory due to software and testing issues; Germany provided minimum aid. We had to have an inside man in the German plant to sneak and ship us male and female wiring harness connectors.

Satisfactory

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery kind work environment, everyone is very nice and cooperative. Working time is flexible, nobody will push you with too much pressure only if you can get your work done.

ConsThis is a test branch, nothing excited, all you have to do is test and test. Work itself doesn't require you to get deep into it, you only have to get the test results. Of course, this is the case in the low level test.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some kind of train or related materials to the low level test employees and have them to take advantage of the work time.

Manufacturing Site

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems

ProsExcellent people at local site, pay ok, working conditions typical of electronics
Good products

Cons40 hours was a rarity, factory ran a 7x24 schedule with a 5x24 staff
Top Corporate management too concerned with stock price.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you win business in Automotive, you have to deliver the product.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Use to be a great company

Principal Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)
Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAudio is fun, work with good technology and great discounts on Harman equipment. The direct management is good to work with

ConsThe management above the director level are really bad, they don't care about the people working at the ground level and want to send pretty much all the work to china

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with it the program... Your not going to get a quality product designed in china!

Dynamic, developing, entrepreneurial, innovative electronic product inventor.

Commodity Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Harman Becker Automotive Systems

ProsManagement acceptance and support to staff to enable staff to work individually and within dynamic teams with self guidance. Ability to travel when important to the job. Skill building training. Dynamic, entrepreneurial environment encourages individuality. Global scope and interactive with groups in other divisions and countries.

ConsAs with many dynamic companies, there is a need to educated all members on how to make wise choices about costs that detract from P&L.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that management philosophy and actions are consistent with what customers expect in their own business culture and support managers and staff who work to keep all customers pleased.

Great company to work for

Materials Manager (Former Employee)
Northridge, CA

I worked at Harman Becker Automotive Systems

ProsThey provide everything that you need to do your job including equipment, training, mentoring, etc. The quality system is a good one. Good communication and cooperation between divisions and business units. Opportunity to learn with the best

ConsSometimes difficult to know the "big" picture. There is not a lot of opportunity to advance after a certain level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company to work for. The company puts a lot of effort into training and getting good people, but not enough effort into keeping them.

harman

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems full-time for less than a year

Prosits a clean,good working environmemy

Consto many chiefs bot enough indians...

good enough to apply for it

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems

Prosgood salary good team good leader AWARDS:

Consless time less vacation less people

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is the time to apply now

Not very exciting job

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Filderstadt (Germany)

I have been working at Harman Becker Automotive Systems

ProsInteresting technologies and customers, market leader

ConsNot an equal opportunity, high fluctuation, unmotivated emploees

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat emploees based on qualification and work they did, not on nationallity bases

Former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Harman Becker Automotive Systems

ProsHB offered many opportunities for career growth, and I worked in a number of different positions through promotion over the years. The work was always challenging, and management always 'has your back' when it comes to communicating with executive management or the corporate parent. As a global company, there were many opportunities for domestic and international travel... if you like that sort of thing. Pay was "ok". While I received increases with my promotions, they didn't compete with salaries for the same positions at other companies. On the other hand, the benefits and culture made it worth staying. I finally left to pursue other interests.

ConsI've seen much of the company change due to growth over the years. During most of that time, the world, industry and customers were changing while senior management continued to do things much the same way they had when the company was small. Fortunately, that changed and much of the incumbent management has moved on and been replaced with more progressive thinkers and movers. While the company worked toward bringing the US and EU companies closer together, there where a number of individuals I would consider "empire builders" who were in a situation of serious competition that often interfered with team performance objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace IT to give you a competitive advantage rather than viewing it as a necessary evil.

Worked for Harman Becker Automotive Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harman Becker Automotive Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harman Becker Automotive Systems CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal . All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Harman Becker Automotive Systems employees.