Harmon Discount

Add Photos

Robert Germano

Meh

Cashier (Current Employee) Short Hills, NJ

ProsFlexible work hours despite scheduling

ConsIt's retail..you are going to get what you expect

Advice to Senior ManagementNo real advice..it's an easy job anyone can do.

Sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Massapequa, NY

Pros-sometimes you get a good co-worker or customer
    -manager are pretty ok with giving you a requested day off if you do it at least two weeks in advanced

Cons-customers are usually very rude
    -our extremely lenient return policy
    -our coupon policy, having to explain it over and over again
    -Drama between co-workers, feels like you're back in high school
    -the $50 bonus you're supposed to get when someone who gets hired that put you down as a reference never comes
    -your pay is minimum wage
    -yearly raise never comes, and if it does it's usually 5-10 cents
    -having to answer the phone while you're cashier with a huge line of customers
    -on the rare occasion you are really sick, can't come in, and someone can't cover for you, you get written up
    -if you get sick at work you have to stay til the end of your shift
    -never a stable work schedule
    -we're open on major holidays like Easter all day
    -people come in and out, people constantly leaving and quickly replaced without a thought

Advice to Senior Management-reconsider return policy and coupon policy
    -treat your sales associates better
    -remember we have families too on major holidays
    -keep things consistent

a first job

Cashier (Former Employee) Melville, NY

Prosnice people to work with

Consoverworked, to many hours not enough pay

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Have worked as a part-time associate for over a year

Cashier/Stock (Current Employee)

Pros- Very good at working around your class schedule
    - Provide inexperienced workers with job training

Cons- Pay starts at minimum wage and yearly raises rarely go above $0.15/hour
    - They hire a lot of lazy employees, so if you are a hard worker you'll often be forced to finish their work as well as your own
    - Some managers use their power to disrespect associates

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide incentives for hard workers. The pay is laughable which leads to poor work ethic and high turnover.

Avoid at all costs

Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) Melville, NY

ProsNot many here. The people can be friendly and the work is easy but thats about as far as it goes.

ConsLazy work force, Management sets this example. I would be surprised to find out that few if any at all have college degrees.

Advice to Senior ManagementUp your game and re-work from the top

It was knowledgeable, but I could've done with a higher pay.

ProsI made a lot of friends

ConsThe rate of pay is not that good.

Good job for someone with little experience.

Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) Westwood, NJ

ProsManagement consisted of nice people. They help out when the store got busy instead of staying in the office. The staff in general was nice, but young.

ConsBecause of the young staff, it was hard to get everyone to do their duties on their own. Management needed to stay on top of them to get things done.

Stable work environment, advancement to higher management positions nearly impossible due to lack of growth

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSecurity of parent company Bed Bath and Beyond, Schedule flexibility, free to make merchandising decisions

ConsSystems and equipment are Bed Bath and Beyond hand-me downs, minimal communication between upper management to stores, sm bonus plan metrics not communicated well unable to measure expectations to actual performance

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication with the store management teams

run away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have a flexible schedule, so its good for students. Some managers were also a pleasure to work with. Hire mainly young people (high school and college) so fun coworkers.

ConsThey pay you practically nothing and then expect you to work like a dog. Some managers were respectful and nice to work with, however some were rude, disrespectful, unapproachable and unreasonable. District manager was horrible as well.

Terrible job.

Retail Sale Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe coworkers are very friendly and get along well. Certain managers make working more enjoyable.

ConsYou start out at $7.25 an hour (others have stated otherwise, this is what I personally started with). You do not get a raise unless you stay there for a year. Every year you get a raise, but it's only a few cents. My last raise was only about 15 cents. If you work part-time, your hours WILL get cut when full-time employees are hired. The only discount you receive is 20% your entire purchase, and you can only have ONE designated shopper.

Your schedule is never the same and your hours will vary. One week you'll be just short of 40 hours, the next you may only have 3.

Some managers do not treat employees or customers with respect and do not do their fair share of work.

I've also heard that the district manager refused to send USED products back to the warehouse and instead requested that they be put back out on the shelf. Disgusting.

Many employees quit or stop showing up to work for the poor pay, rude managers, or lack of hours.

We also do not hire a diverse team. All of the employees are Caucasian.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your workers more. It is possible no one stays in this company because they are paid so little.
    Treat your employees with the respect they deserve, otherwise you will lose them.
    Put in a fair share of work. Just because you are part of management, does not mean you do not have to help your team.

Worked for Harmon Discount? Contribute to the Community!