Harmon Group

Harmon Group President Rick Arnemann

Rick Arnemann

Harmon Group Nashville placed to become one of Nashville's finest Ad Agencies

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsHarmon Group is a fast moving, future focussed Ad Agency. Nashville is a small town and reputations travel fast, Harmon Group is making a great name for itself in the creative industry here. I've been encouraged and challenged - both of which make my work better. This combined with a desire to not only move the Agency forward in new avenues, but to bring our clients with us and expand there business makes Harmon Group one of the most exciting places in Nashville to work.

ConsHigh standards come with hard work and the creative process can be taxing, but nothing good ever comes from anything easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing - these are exciting times and Nashville is an exiting place for Harmon Group to grow!

Challenging job

Photographer (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsA lot of the photography we do is very demanding. It requires that you keep your skills sharp and your focus sharper. Many of our assignments present unique challenges that often require you to stretch out, learn new skills, and stay on top of your game. There's no such thing as getting in a rut in our studio. There are a lot of great, talented people working there who support each other.

ConsThe work we do, because of the exacting standards we have to maintain, is very stressful. Because our clients expect world class work our output is constantly reviewed and nothing gets out that isn't top notch. It can be exhausting.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy interest is photography, not business management.

A Great Place to Work

(Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsI see a few disgruntled fist wavers on here, but my experience at the Harmon Group has been very positive. I've always been treated with respect by management and been recognized for a job well done. The staff is very bright and talented, and the atmosphere is actually quite relaxed--as long as you're getting the job done. Naturally, any ad agency can be a stressful place to work when deadlines loom--but that's just the nature of the beast.

ConsThere's not a lot of hand holding, so if you're inexperienced and timid, you might find it a little stressful. The demands of clients--and the high expectations of management--are probably better suited to a more seasoned employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't worry about the bad reviews. It's all good.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Great Place to Work!

Graphic Designer, Retoucher (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsApparently the people posting negative reviews have never had a really bad job. I have had bad jobs in the past and The Harmon Group is not one of them. A lot of spoiled ex-employees need to grow up and be responsible for their own workplace responsibilities. You reap what you sow in life and in your job. Good workers are treated with respect and compensated accordingly. The management has always done their best to be fair to their employees in my opinion.

ConsLong hours. Very demanding quality is required.

Advice to Senior ManagementBrach out and get some different kinds of clients.

Don't believe all the negative

Web Developer Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsPut plain and simply, Harmon Group operates on a "Top Down" management style.
    I worked there 7 years, and over the course of my employment, I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with.
    A reoccuring theme that I encountered over those years was a dissatisfaction among (especially) Account Executives.
    There was indeed a problem with the company, but the problem did not lie with the management as many others would suggest.
    The problems (in my personal experience) were with some of the people they hired.
    A lot of fresh faced folks that have been in the workforce for less than 10 years or so, have no idea how a "top down" management structure works.
    A LOT of the people I worked with had no clue about how this "works".
    Allow me to explain.
    It's simple really.

Upper management directs the company.
    Upper management decides what needs to happen, they give instruction on the objectives, and expect that those objectives will be met.

The minions (such as myself) are expected to perform whatever task they are presented with.

See...it's pretty simple really.

Do what you're told, how you're told, and when your told.

Upper management at Harmon Group fantastic to me personally and professionally.

Overall, this was a great place to work, but you NEED to understand how a top down management style works, and you need to be comfortable with that.

ConsThe only real con I dealt with was that all cubicles were arranged so that your back was to the entrance (door).
    And your computer screen was clearly visible to whoever walked by.

I guess it's not a real problem though, as long as you're doing what you're being paid to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, and don't worry about the folks who believe that work should be as warm and fulfilling as a Mother's love.

High turn over agency seeks new philosophy. Apply within.

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsDue to high turnover rate, if you need a job, and you qualify, you most likely will get worried.

Consthere's no centralized vision from the leadership, as well as no set philosophy that drives the team, how we approach clients, why we do what we do - for a company that attempts to "do branding," they are still tied to old methods of management, thinking, and employee teamwork.

Advice to Senior Management1.) Discover and utilize the strengths of your team, allowing them to pursue things that make them passionate.
    2.) Celebrate learning - make it part of the culture for people to go to seminars, workshops, etc.
    3.) Diversify - get into other markets, your niche is not moving fast enough to support the economic needs of your team, let alone is not rewarding.
    4.) Be relevant - from management styles, brand, thinking, culture, and client roster, update yourself.

Worked for Harmon Group? Contribute to the Community!