Harmon Law Offices Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
Mark Harmon

Pros
  • They hire a good amount of people with little to no experience, so it's not a bad place to start for recent college graduates (in 3 reviews)

• There are no pros other than learning a bit about the type of legal work you might be doing there, whether foreclosure (i (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is slow to make changes and address issues (in 6 reviews)

• Low Pay, Stressful & Low Company Moral (in 5 reviews)

1. Paralegal

Pros

Friendly work environment. Helpful support staff.

Cons

High turnover, frequent layoffs when business isnt strong.

2. Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Waltham, MA

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked my senior manager. Paychecks cleared. Building had nice facilities (e.g., gym and cafeteria).

Cons

Little to no training or institutional knowledge base; people constantly leave or are terminated. Poor communication structure to disseminate changes in policy or division of workflow. Generally low morale.

Advice to Management

Productive, quality work comes from happy, motivated employees.

ok start

I have been working at Harmon Law Offices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent for a stepping stone job and experience. You will learn how to disconnect emotions and grow a tough skin.

Cons

Like any other work place, there are cliques. Here at Harmon there are more than can handle. Depending on the team you are with, management tends to treat you like children. Everyone is out for themselves and only care about those who will brown nose.

Advice to Management

Without the lower guys, your jobs will get harder. Loosen the reigns some and get to know your subordinates. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, you are there to help them succeed not fail. Attitude and delivery are everything.

5. Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Post Sale Legal Assistant in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Post Sale Legal Assistant in Newton, MA

Pros

There are a lot of employees at Harmon with all the support staff, and many of them are young. Therefore it is certainly a more social work environment with potential to meet new people. It also gets your foot in the door with legal services, so when you check out those job postings that want "minimum 3-5 years experience in law firm setting" as opposed to any other kinds of credentials, you can actually be considered. There's a lot of freedom day to day around completing your work; you have X Y and Z to complete, but you can accomplish things usually in whatever manner you like as long as things get done. You won't have a manager telling you what your morning should look like, etc. Free easy parking, and the building is attached to a decent shopping center. Also right on the Charles so there are some nice nearby walking trails.

Cons

Harmon does not value it's employees in any way and it is obvious. If you think a working chair is a reasonable accommodation, think again. They also pay you dirt; legal assistants start at a little over $14/hr. So if you rent in Boston, your housing costs will probably equate to 50% of your income. Directors care very little about what is reasonable to expect (as far as quantity) and give little to no support in accomplishing momentous goals, per department. I had a great attorney manager who had lots of perspective and was more than comfortable asserting that something was unrealistic and stood up for us. But not all managers are like that. I was hired as a legal assistant in Post Sale (Harmon operates "assembly-line" style; you touch your piece and only your piece). I did legal assistant work, as well as work that only paralegals in Post Sale did, though I remained a legal assistant (and was paid as one). When my department merged with Closings (which nearly half of my department quit over it, literally), I also began doing Closings work that only their paralegals handled. I was essentially one legal assistant and two paralegals. And was paid as one legal assistant... Foreclosure law is a field pegged on the failings of the economy. Expect lay offs. Because benefits and the overall quality of the job aren't great, there is extremely high turn over. I'm sure the fact that they hire literally ANYONE (because they're always understaffed) with absolutely no reference checks also contributes to this; some coworkers are competent, professional and educated. The other half will be painfully useless and stupid. The turn over means that most people are not adequately trained.

Advice to Management

Value your employees! If they like you, they will happily work hard for you. Because they're certainly not there for the great pay and exciting work!

6. Paralegal

Former Employee - Paralegal in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Watertown, MA

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was pretty fair for a first job coming out of college. The interview process was easy. I originally went in to interview for a position on a different team and they called me and said I'd be a better fit for another team and if I was interested, I would be hired. I was able to work my way up from a legal assistant to a paralegal in a little less than a year. If you work hard, you'll get recognized.

Cons

The pay isn't that competitive. Management can be sticklers for following the rules (such as punching in and out in your time clock, writing detailed notes in the files, no personal calls or emails or use of cell phone). Also it's kind of sad dealing with people who are going through a foreclosure.

7. Good first job

Pros

The structure and organization of the teams in the firm help facilitate production.

Cons

Pay is on the low side for the position.

Legal Assistant

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Newton, MA

I have been working at Harmon Law Offices (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance; good management.

Cons

Extreme fluctuations in workload; HR is horrid (treats employees as if they are children.)

9. bad

Pros

none, I looked hard but I couldnt find any

Cons

bad work environment, No advancement opportunities

10. It's not bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at Harmon Law Offices full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, they train you so limited experience is ok and it gets your foot in the door, great to build your skills snd resume, room for growth, benefits are decent, easy once you become experienced. Good internal systems to keep you organized. Free coffee, tea, hot coco. Stop n shop next door. Fitness discounts, BJs discounts, phone discounts, 1 hour lunches, good vaca package.

Cons

Always busy, not too many holidays off (6), salary is non negotiable, computers can be slow at times, commute stinks unless you live locally. Managers don't leave often so you have to stick around and be really good at what you do to earn that title. It can happen for sure, but you have to wait for someone to leave.

Advice to Management

A little flexibility goes a long way with moral. Some managers here get that and are awesome! People enjoy working for them. Others are very strict and make things difficult for people. Reward talent with better bonus and raises rather then give everyone the same. A sliding 0-6% would be nice.

11. Management is horrible

Pros

There are no pros. This is the worst job I've ever had.

Cons

Depressing work environment. People are on eggshells all day as layoff rumors run amok. Management cliques make fun of employees, fire people they do not like (read between the lines) and brown nose the directors. The Directors are just socially weak and stuck in the 90's.

Advice to Management

Go back to running McDonald's

RSS Feed </> Embed