Harmon Law Offices

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
1.6

Mark Harmon

Stable firm with no opportunity for advancement. They are stuck in the past.

Current Employee - Paralegal  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Newton, MA

I have been working at Harmon Law Offices full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relatively stable given the overall decline of the number of foreclosures. Free ice cream once every summer....

Cons

They offer no incentives, no overtime, and bonuses do not exist. The attempts at boosting morale (which is incredibly low) include offering sporadic free ice cream sandwiches, free coffee and cookies, and various embarrassing contests in which they give away inferior quality items you would find at a yard sale. Welcome to Romper Room. This place is more like a business than a law firm. If you are hoping to learn nuances of the law or are thinking anout law school and think getting your feet wet will help you in deciding, this is mot the firm you are looking for. Most in supervisory roles hate their jobs and have no issue with telling you that during one of the multitude of redundant and useless training sessions. It is a steady gig and that's about the only positive about working at this firm.

Learn what the meaning of the word bonus means. I am sure you know since you all receive them. Christmas bonuses of $50 a year for every year of service is pathetic. And working every useless Monday holiday that the rest of the country takes off makes people that do work on those days incredibly unproductive.

Slavedrivers!

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Newton, MA

I have been working at Harmon Law Offices full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

this place is just to get experience and then to get out!

Cons

they give a lot of work and expect you to finish it, even if you have to punch out and work for free! Mark Harmon doesn't care about his employees, just his deep pockets!

Management Sucks, from top to bottom. all they do is play with their I pads and workers get all the stress and heavy workload

Great people

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with, excellent department managers. This is a very good place to work for recent college graduates.

Cons

Can be very stressful at times, workload is often unmanageable. Department managers have very little latitude; all operating changes have to come from upper management. Upper management is slow to make changes and address issues.

Be proactive and anticipate workload increases. It was often too late by the time heavy workloads were finally addressed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away!

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very few - I liked the people I worked with....that was about it.

Cons

Very little room for advancement, everyday people are fired or laid off, very low company morale, yes you gain experience but whenever I mention to people that I worked at Harmon they always reply "How could you work there?!?!?" due to Harmon's horrible reputation for unethical practices, so I feel it has actually not helped my prospects for getting another job but I cannot remove it from my resume because I spent too much time at Harmon so there would be a huge gap on my resume which would look worse.

Harmon does not offer good benefits or pay because they feel it is a waste since people quit so frequently why waste resources on them however people quit frequently not necessarily due to the type of work but because of the lack of benefits and pay etc.

Low Pay, Easy Paralegal

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Young covworkers (<25), good job security, overtime available during certain periods of high volume

Cons

started at $15 / hr, lots of incompetent peers, many entrenched superiors so advancement is hard

Reward top employees better

No job security, lay offs happen often.

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time

Pros

Entry level positions for some experience. That's about the only pro

Cons

Low pay
    No positive reinforcement for good work
    Very low company morale
    Constantly being scolded by emails, passive aggressively
    Layoffs happen every 3-6 months. And they can happen to anyone, whether you have been there 8 years or 8 months. It is not based on work quality. Who knows how they determine it.
    The HR department is a joke and should have been fired a long time ago.

Office will likely close or merge soon.

Current Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Newton, MA

I have been working at Harmon Law Offices full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no "pros" for an office that promotes quantity or quality of work. Also, the MA AG is investigating this office.

Cons

The directors have no idea what they are doing.

Close the office and get into another line of work.

If you work there, time to get out

Current Employee - Paralegal  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Newton, MA

I have been working at Harmon Law Offices full-time for more than a year

Pros

Will likely be closing its doors soon

Cons

Incompetent directors, brown-nosing gossip mongering "senior" attorneys.

Get out of the law business before Martha Coakley takes your bar cards

Decent entry level job experience, not much else.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at Harmon Law Offices full-time

Pros

-They hire a good amount of people with little to no experience, so it's not a bad place to start for recent college graduates.
    -Most of the employees are in their 20s, so it's a younger environment
    -Free Parking

Cons

-Pay is pretty low and the benefits aren't great besides pooled time
    -Only recognizes six holidays a year
    -Most people are not happy here so the company morale is low. Just a negative vibe throughout
    -Not much incentive to want to stay, therefore a high turnover rate.

I've gotten along with most of my management, but I've always stories of other people not being treated well. Just treat your employees fairly and they will be more productive. Company morale will always be negative if your employees feel like they are being treated like crap. Simple.

Depressing work in a depressing environment

I worked at Harmon Law Offices full-time

Pros

-Free Coffee
    -Free Parking
    -Nice Gym / Stop n Shop / Sushi restaurant next door
    -Will hire just about anyone
    -Will pay the rent

Cons

Where to start. The work is depressing. Your job is to facilitate the foreclosure process, and your clients are banks. You help get people out of bankruptcy (which is good for a debtor) so the banks can foreclose on their home. Although many of the debtors are in bankruptcy through their own negligence, it is still morally degrading work to know you're helping force people out of homes.

The overall work environment ranges from apathetic to depressed. Many of the paralegals and legal assistants are young and aspiring to do better things; most of them will quit within a few months. The older folks carry themselves with an aura of missed opportunities and disappointment, wondering how they found themselves in the position they did. Very few of these people woke up and decided to work as foreclosure peons for their career.

The clients you work with are, for lack of better term, idiots. They rarely provide you with the information you need to complete your job, and often times your manager is berating you for things beyond your control, as a direct result of absent-minded clients. To add to this is the hierarchical structure of the office: legal assistant < paralegal < paralegal manager < attorney. Pressure from the top means everyone else gets squeezed.

The people themselves are generally nice, good people, who share a common dislike for their job. Attorneys are usually nice, but lead attorneys are too obsessed with the numbers to really care about office morale.

Company policies are stifling. 6 paid vacation days, which is about as low as it gets. Pooled time off comes out to about 15 days a year, which isn't terrible for an entry-level job, but there's no sick time. Don't feel well? Use your PTO. Not safe to drive because of weather conditions? Use your PTO. The ultimate middle-finger is when most other companies get the day off for various holidays (MLK day is an example), you get to wear jeans. Because that's what Dr. King strove for: jeans days.

To top it all off, the pay starts at $14.42 an hour. You can make better money working at Costco.

Give your employees an incentive to work harder.

Worked for Harmon Law Offices? Contribute to the Community!