Harmonia Reviews

Pallabi Saboo

1. Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Harmonia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment to work. Everyone is alway willing to help out when necessary. Talented people who care about getting the job done right.

Cons

Going through a office space reorganization and more space would be nice. Some offices have 2 resources sharing office space.

Advice to Management

Stay on track with puting the processes in place. More work can be accomplished with documented processes in place making it easier to get work done in a standardized fashion.

2. Good Experience

Former Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at Harmonia

Pros

I worked with this company for one year and overall it was a very good experience. The environment is actually quite positive which is atypical for a government contractor....as in people in management really do seem to care about you as a person. Benefits were pretty generous, i thought and from i what i heard from other people who are married - they seemed to think so as well.

Cons

Not really sure how much of a con this but i left because i just didn't see where i might be 10 years from today in this company and i just wanted that stability. The company's growing pretty fast so i am sure there are going to be opportunities, i just didn't know what they would be in the long-term. Maybe its too much to ask but maybe if the management can lay out a longer-term strategy it would help.

Advice to Management

You look after your people, that's really good. As i mentioned above, try to provide more insight into the future of the company. I am sure most people looking to build a long term career in the company would appreciate that.

Best company of my career

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Harmonia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a veteran Data Management practitioner with over 35 years of IT experience. If you're a competent professional with a solid work ethic, Harmonia will treat you more like a family member than an employee. The level of engagement and genuine concern about staff welfare from senior and executive management surpasses anything I've experienced in my civilian career. I've been with the company less than a year and I've already been recognized as a Star Performer AND recieved a significant promotion. Work hard, behave professionaly and you will be recognized, rewarded and your skills and career will advance. If you are considering joining Harmonia, there are few places (in my experience) that can match what this company has to offer you, or best the way you will be treated.

Cons

I have yet to encounter anything negative about Harmonia that would rise above a petty complaint.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

Jun 21, 2015 – COO

Thank you. Your feedback is humbling and motivating. It is our hope that we can continue to attract and retain top talent such as yourself. In our opinion, that is in large part all that is ... More

Emerging Diamond of Software Development Talent

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at Harmonia

Pros

Harmonia is a special place to work. The people there are extremely welcoming and easily collaborate with others. The management has an open door policy and seem to have genuine interest in the people who report to them. Harmonia has a highly advanced and constantly improving development process and workflow which only the most cutting edge of companies have attained. For a company of its size, you would not expect the kinds of investment that Harmonia has made in making their work better for both their customers and their contributors. The agile leaning, Scrum environment provides a well-balanced box of planned work from week to week, and the push for continuous integration across the board is something many larger companies haven't achieved yet. The testing processes have vastly improved. Despite the heavy documentation needs of its clients, Harmonia works closely with its customers to try and find the sweet spot to provide the right amount of support and documentation to meet their project objectives. Harmonia has worked hard to add more automated checking when the investment is warranted, and taken the first steps towards including more advanced testing techniques. Suffice it to say there are a lot of good things going on at Harmonia.

Cons

This is an agile environment, while SCRUM is their methodology of choice; Harmonia strives to be responsive to changing needs for customers, and seeks to deploy the best possible solutions. That means that sometimes your burn-down chart will suffer, but as long as the needs of the customer on the project are being delivered, who cares about automated metric systems? Delivering solutions to the customer, where they actually show your work and say do it more like how Harmonia does it, is praise that only few in the industry can ever hope to attain. Harmonia has done that, and is keenly positioned to continue to do so. Lastly, Harmonia fosters a transparent culture of accountability. Developers are given the freedom and responsibility to drive their work within the confines of the project constraints and we hold each other accountable for that. Because of this, those who have trouble handling constructive criticism, learn from it, and improve and grow beyond it may not be a good fit. However, if you like being treated with respect, and given the chance to make mistakes, and then learn and grow from them while delivering impactful products and serving your country, then you ought to check out Harmonia, this company is only going to continue to grow and improve.

Advice to Management

Keep being smart about hiring, looking for culture fit and enough skill to get people started. Continue looking for the 'just right' mix of process and technology while maintaining the agility to respond to customer needs. The government contractor space is about to go through a sea change, and you are positioned well to be a leader in the Government IT Sector. Keep doing things the right way, and the sky is the limit.

Jun 13, 2015 – COO

We are grateful for your thoughtful and positive comments. We will continue to strive and do our best to be an employer of choice for top talent. We do see ourselves as an emerging lead player in ... More

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Harmonia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Harmonia is a great place to work! The office environment is very friendly and I can honestly say that many of my coworkers are my friends. The development environment we are provided with is top of the line: i7 processor, two solid state drives, and 24 GB of RAM. The laptops allow for docking at a desk but have the portability to work from home when necessary. The management is very good and recognize good work regardless of age. Employees are mentored when they first come and projects are very interesting. I have never stopped learning since I have started at Harmonia. Development pace is on a per project basis but I rarely work more than 43 hour weeks and am still recognized for my good work. Perks are great too: good insurance, monthly socials, sports teams, holiday parties, and other activities are made available for anyone that would want to join. Monthly awards are given to Developer of the Month and yearly awards are given for at least 4 categories with prizes of the winners' choosing up to $1,000. Christmas bonuses and yearly reviews/raises are given.

Cons

I have no cons about Harmonia

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Apr 17, 2015 – COO

Thank you for very positive feedback!

7. My time with Harmonia has been mixed

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Harmonia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is open and fair in its practices. It is an extremely challenging and fast paced place to work. It's standards are extremely high, but the management stands behind its employees and works hard to make sure those employees have what they need to succeed. The management truly strives to create an environment where people enjoy going to work and have a good sense of camaraderie. They reward and recognize talent and hard work.

Cons

I would say this company is not for everyone. It is a fast paced company that is very challenging. It's not so much you have to be the best of the best to work here, not at all, but you have to have a certain capacity to handle the pace, structure, and demands, and you have to have a certain personality. It's a high risk high reward job. Some may consider this a Pro, but I do not. I think it is a negative in that there are some great developers out there that may not thrive in this environment.

Advice to Management

I think management does a very good job overall.

Apr 17, 2015 – COO

Thank you for your very thoughtful posting. You're right the environment is fast-paced and challenging. However we also ensure that compensation is in line with effort and qualification and i do ... More

If you're not at the Blacksburg office, don't apply...

I worked at Harmonia full-time

Pros

Some flexibility to work remotely. Lots of staff do so. End-of-year bonus was ok.

Cons

If you're not in the Blacksburg office, good luck getting noticed. Performance reviews are very strict and if you're not at the headquarters, you have to go above and beyond to prove you did a better-than-expected job to merit a salary increase.

Advice to Management

Regardless of location, treat all your employees fairly.

Jun 13, 2015 – COO

We are truly sorry you felt we weren't fair in your performance review. We strive to not only be fair and objective but also transparent and open and it is unfortunate you did not bring your ... More

This company is awful

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at Harmonia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay you on a regular basis

Cons

They play a lot of favorites. if they like you then you will do ok if you aren't one of the chosen few then you will be treated poorly. If you don't work 60 hours a week then you are considered lazy.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equal. treat your the employees who make the product as good as part time secretaries.

Apr 13, 2015 – COO

Its not hard to gauge who this posting is by - you were let go for non-performance after being given multiple opportunities to improve your performance. Its unfortunate that you would choose to ... More

Great leadership, management and culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Harmonia

Pros

Smart and wonderful people. Leaders and managers are open. Great atmosphere. Interesting projects.

Cons

None so far. I really enjoy working here.

11. Harmonia is a fast growing company with a focus on quality work, employee retention, and customer satisfaction!

Current Employee - Program Management/Business Development in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Management/Business Development in Washington, DC

I have been working at Harmonia

Pros

I recently joined Harmonia and am impressed by the hands-on approach by senior management to customer care, employee satisfaction, and commitment to quality work. Our recent CMMI Level 3 appraisal is indicative of the professionalism Harmonia promotes and expects. I have worked in government information technology for over 30 years and Harmonia is top-notch in all aspects of building business relationships and providing outstanding service delivery.

Cons

This is a fast paced team with high expectations--while I don't consider this a "con" days (and nights) can get hectic.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

RSS Feed </> Embed