Harmonic

Add Photos

Harmonic President, CEO, and Director Patrick J. Harshman

Patrick J. Harshman

A nice stable company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harmonic full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood work environment with decent normal amenities.
Fully family friendly with flexibility.
Reasonably decent cafeteria for lunch.

ConsNeeds better communication inside company.
Could use better education and training budget and allocation.

Old technologies, lots of opportunities to make a difference

Senior QA Automation Engineer (Current Employee)
Beaverton, OR

Pros* Good work/life balance, 40 hours a week really is the baseline
* Great people, I genuinely like my coworkers and boss.
* Management very open to new technology ideas. Technology used is very old, updating it is very useful and provides and lots of job satisfaction.

Cons* Technology is old (RCP, FTP, etc)
* Waterfall development methodology (no agile)
* Strong competition in the marketplace has lead to tight purse-strings at the moment, though I expect that to abate.

Advice to Senior ManagementShift focus when hiring from video experience to newer industry knowledge, there's a lot of good tech out there we're simply not using.

A company of "yesterday-world" of Silicon Valley

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Harmonic

Pros- Good benefit compare to similar "public" company in bay area.
- Gym in office is quite good and useful.

Cons- In one of the all hand meeting when someone asked what steps management is taking to stop experienced and good engineers leaving. CEO's reply was quite long and convoluted, but it could be summarized in short three sentences this way: "It's not bad. We will hire new engineers. Fresh blood is good for company." I think his word described the Harmonic management's attitude towards engineers quite accurately. "Workers bees" are dispensable. Recycling them is not bad. Needless to say that departure of experienced engineers continued since then. There is no value of experience in this company. It's quite evident in the compensation. While senior level management is showering themselves with stocks and pay raises, "worker bees" were getting only breadcrumbs.

- No new innovative projects or products. Most of the works are packing/repacking/improving existing products and buying smaller companies. Video world changed a lot in last decade. Senior level management is not competent enough to catch up or come with new idea for this changed world. This company looks like a Silicon Valley Company of "yesterday-world". Old technology, old way of doing things.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with new idea. Take risk.

I should have left sooner.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Harmonic

ProsSince Harmonic designs their own hardware, the are opportunites for all different types of programming. From device drivers to application level and some JAVA/GUI work.

ConsSome of the worst mid-level management I've ever seen. But I now see that the managers I disapproved are gone now.

Growing company, lots of scope to learn

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harmonic

ProsGrowing company, lots of scope to learn

ConsManagement needs to be considerate towards employees.
schedule management is not good

Advice to Senior Managementproper scheduling, respect employees

it is not too bad

I have been working at Harmonic

ProsThe pay is fare, health insurance is not bad, stock purchase plan is good, location is good. woking enviroment is good

Constoo much politics , especially in Operation department. when something happened. no one want to look into the detail. the people got blamed never got a chance to explain.

Advice to Senior Managementtry you best to keep all valuable efficient engineer, not only in R&D. Keep one fact in mind. the more you do, the bigger chance you will make mistake. for those efficient engineers who takes a lot of responsibity ussaully get the most blame in operation department. compare too examples,
one engneer got 10 thing done but just made a little political mistake with another engineer get only one thing done and did not make mistake

Good salary and benefits offset by marginal employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Harmonic

ProsSalary and benefits, good facility

ConsDistrust of management, lack of opportunity

over work & under pay

I have been working at Harmonic

Pros- interesting technology (only for some projects). if you are unlucky enough to work on some legacy stuff, cross this one off.
- mgmt is messy, so you got to "balance your life with work"

Conspay; appreciation;
team-work and everything else

Advice to Senior Managementpay your engineers better

not too excited

I have been working at Harmonic

ProsEnvironment is pleasant, well lit, and plenty of fancy coffee machines

Conshas the feel of a much bigger company, location is isolated

I thought I came to US for work, but found myself back to Bombay square!

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Harmonic

ProsMy techinical skills were sharpened because the work load was extremely heavy. I got lots of hands on experience by working on difficult projects. However, whether a project had to be that difficult was another issue. Management makes decision, we as an engineers have little to say. Our boss' poor decision often made our project harder than it should be.

ConsOverall, the group I worked was a very negative working environment. The director paid no respect to American cooperate culture. He also paid no respect to people who were under him. He said we should be grateful to him because he gave us jobs. He was irrational, mean and moody. When he was in a bad mood, he yelled at us, spoke intimidating and demeaning words, and frequently lost his temper. One white American engineer was singled out in a negative way because he dared to complain about this director’s unprofessional behavior. Several female engineers were driven to tears by this director's yelling at them in rage. Sometimes problems were caused by this director's own stupid decisions, poor memory, or lack of understanding about .NET technology. But he still found ways to blame engineers especially those on his black list. A few managers and tech lead under this director were also infected by this kind of behavior pattern.

Some engineers reported this director’s unethical behavior to the HR but the company did not remove him. He was really good at presenting himself in front of his own boss who turned blind eye at the fact that many engineers (including tech lead) in this group left the company in the middle of critical project during the worst job market.

In summary, if you are good at verbally abusing, intimidating, blaming other people, go work for Harmonic in the management. You cannot be fired.
If you are good at dealing with an angry and mean boss who treats you as if you have no feelings, go work for Harmonic as an engineer. Forget about success because you wont' get any. You'll find yourself strive to survive, and your survival depends on how well you respond to a mean boss, not necessarily your technical skills.
If you are not any of the above two types of people, stay away from Harmonic.

Advice to Senior Management1. Let engineers evaluate their boss as part of annual performance review for the management.
2. Get rid of a bad management person before he causes company lawsuits, or before the company loses all talented engineers.
3. It is a mistake to think this mean director cannot be replaced. Even the Indian engineers especially the young generation dislike him. There are many good Indian managers who can lead the outsourcing program much better than he is ever capable of.
4. It is wrong to execuse management's unprofessional behavior as being passionate about work. If yelling is the way he frequently uses to drive a project, this person is unfit to be in management.

Worked for Harmonic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harmonic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harmonic CEO Patrick J. Harshman. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Harmonic employees.