Harmons

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
2.8

Dean Peterson

Great company many oppertunitys to learn and grow

Current Employee - Meat Sales Associate in Taylorsville, UT
    Current Employee - Meat Sales Associate in Taylorsville, UT

I have been working at Harmons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers varies oppertunitys. Flexible and constant recognition.

Cons

Department mangers get bonuses even though the people under the manager do all the work.

Bonuses should be divided up in the department because it takes a team to meet quotas.

A good place when I started, getting worse by the day.

Current Employee - Bagger in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Bagger in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Harmons part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling makes this a good place to work if your in school, though mistakes in the schedule by management might not be corrected. general friendly atmosphere, good people in general, though it has become less and less friendly since the last management change. Employment is stable, few people are fired, though transfers from department to department are often forced.

Cons

Nonstop drama, incompetent upper management, to the point where you can barely do your job, getting full time means jumping through a series of insurmountable hoops, equipment either barely works or doesn't work at all, little or no training for any lower position. You will be expected to do 2 or 3 peoples work for no additional benefit. Little room for growth, since most managers are hired from outside the company.

Listen to your employees, most of them have been here longer than you. If you keep them happy, you get better employees, better customer service, and better morale. The underlying problem is that management doesn't have to do any of the lower jobs, if they had to spend a shift in the places they are running before changing the policies in those areas, they would realize the problems they cause.

My work experience at Harmon's as a Bakery Associate has not been vey fulfilling.

Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Harmons part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of people come to the bakery and really love our product. I enjoy having the opportunity to talk to the variety of people that come through.

Cons

This is not the kind of position that offers any growth. As someone with a 4-year degree from a university, this is a job that doesn't provide the kind of satisfaction that one would expect after having graduated form college.

I would suggest hiring more qualified and competent employees.

It's so bad they can no longer staff their stores properly and are having to hold job fairs EVENTHOUGH their pay is above industry standard, they still can't get people to apply

I have been working at Harmons

Pros

Good pay, above industry standard for the state.

Cons

Very poor store management. Way too many family members work for the company and are promoted to positions they are not qualified for. They take advantage of employees, for example I was required to manage the hardware department when it was a position above mine for months and months without being compensated as if I was in that position and it was an extremely larger amount of responsibility and work than my actual position.

It's in your companies "better basics" that great treatment of your employees was a priority, and at fist it was. However as the years went on (almost 7 in my experience) that priority has become less and less of a concern and you should either refocus and put a priority on it again OR take the sentence out of your better basics!!

Was good at first

Former Employee - Baker in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Baker in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Harmons full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Got a quick raise and promotion within a month to the job I told them I was interested in. Pay was good and most people were great to work with and it was an easy going environment. The company had good outlets for change and improvement in the work place and a great environmental program implemented to lower their waste and increase their recycling and such.

Cons

A lot of drama in certain departments, certain managers did nothing at work and would take off and come and go when ever they felt like if they made friends with the Store Manager they could get away with anything. After refusing several offers to be transferred to the meat department I was forced into a position I hated and shortly after quit. Lots of managers got jobs by knowing the Harmons family and dating someone related or by being friends with them.

Dont listen to all the drama in your department and choose to go along with it, maybe respect each employee enough to get to know the real situation.

Overall positive experience

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Harmons part-time

Pros

Our store director knew everyone's name and genuinely cared about the employees and their concerns...he made sure that if you made a mistake it was a learning experience
    They are very flexible with hours and willing to work with you
    You can request a lot of days off and they always give you them off.
    Schedule was sent out pretty early which was way nice.
    Coworkers were great and the customers weren't bad either.
    The stores are super clean and the food is high quality and delicious
    The managers were all nice people who were very willing to stick up for you.

Cons

Managers are quick to blame the lower level employees even when it isn't their fault.
    I had some scheduling difficulties but nothing too bad
    There was a lot of favoritism!!! The favorite employees could do whatever they wanted while the other employees got in trouble for small things...it was a bit annoying
    The cashier training is super long and doesn't really help at all it's mostly just paperwork.
    Not very many employees stay with the company for a long time (at least not cashiers) so there are constantly new people and mangers

The cashier training needs to go more in depth. For example, it needs to teach employees how to do in store charges. I had to teach myself how to do it because it wasn't in the training.

Great place to work

I have been working at Harmons

Pros

Will work with you on hours and the managers are great to work with.

Cons

time off policies could use some work. Would like to know schedule more in advance

Great place to work

I have been working at Harmons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They care about their people, great pay, great company

Cons

Its only in Utah

Where is the training?

Current Employee - Natural and Specialty Foods Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Natural and Specialty Foods Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Harmons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well-established company with great outlook.

Cons

No training was provided for my position. Simple scheduling issues create huge problems.

Hire experienced people if you don't want to train, or train the inexperienced. Balance the schedule according to the needs of the department rather than the needs of the schedule. If coverage is lacking because the department is already tapped for hours, it should fall to the department manager to fix it personally.

Losing perspective?

I worked at Harmons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of wonderful people who really care about giving customers the best possible experience with every visit. There's a great range of personalities and tons of fun people. Lots of opportunities to help with charity and community causes and exciting associate activities.

Cons

"To value our associates . . ." part of the mission statement has seemed to take a backseat to corporate greed and egos in the past couple years. The culture has taken a dramatic shift in the past 10 years or so and not for the better. You say you value associates but so many people are not feeling that lately - no raises or increases in years, passed up for positions, relying heavily on the survey (even though you say it's not a factor), being dropped from growth programs/classes without explanation, saying you can't afford to keep people then hire new positions and take trips out of the country, adding more stores but not more support, etc. A lot of great people will be lost because of the single, but most important, reason of not feeling valued. The cons could easily be remedied with just a simple focus back on what build the success and by following the mission statement.

Please don't forget how you became a successful company - the PEOPLE! There some some pretty engorged egos that seem to be forgetting that. You're getting too big for your britches and tossing out the ideals that made the company into what it is for the past 81 years. Corporate greed is dripping down to lower management and the historically great practices of taking care of customers and valuing associates are being diluted. You're saying one thing to associates but actions are saying something completely different. You need to review the mission statement and go back to living that rather than just build more stores. There won't be a sustainable company if the focus just shifts to growth and you leave behind the people passionate and responsible for the growth up to this point.