Harmony Public Schools Reviews

Dr. Soner Tarim

1. IT Manager

Current Employee - Innovation IT Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Innovation IT Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Harmony Public Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work benefits. There are weekly meetings between the administrators and staff members so that there is a clear understanding of what direction is to be taken in the work environment. Team building events so that you get to better know your coworkers.

Cons

Possibility of working on weekends. May be given jobs to do out of your area of jurisdiction.

2. Great Atmosphere, but few resources available

Current Employee - ELA Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - ELA Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Harmony Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with and the administration. They were supportive and eager to help out. I enjoyed the way they run this charter school both lesson planning and discipline. Helpful trainings.

Cons

Very few resources were available. When I worked there we did not have access to the library which made it difficult to teach. Student technology was pretty much nonexistent except for the computer lab.

Advice to Management

If resources are not available for the teachers, it makes their workload much more difficult. So even if the money is not there, come up with creative ways of achieving the gap.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Teacher in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Garland, TX

I have been working at Harmony Public Schools

Pros

Teacher autonomy, collaborative staff, access to materials used for instructional purposes, opportunities to earn supplemental pay every month, minimal student behavioral problems with the exception of a few per grade level. Career advancement opportunities are endless and they promote from within.

Cons

Early/Late work hours-teachers are required to be at work from 7:15 to 4:30 or 5pm somedays. Low base salary pay in comparison to surrounding, traditional ISD's.

Advice to Management

Allot more time in the afternoon for teachers to devote to getting work done instead of piling on additional responsibilities that were not agreed to or discussed beforehand. This will help to build trust between admin and teachers.

5. Teacher

I worked at Harmony Public Schools full-time

Pros

Other teachers were hard working and for the most part a great support to each other.

Cons

Administration, lack of resources, lack of organization, lack of safe environment, lack of respectful communication.

Great campus. Awful coaches and superintendent.

Current Employee - ELA Teacher
    Current Employee - ELA Teacher

I have been working at Harmony Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of support at my campus; we really fought for what we believed in.

Cons

No support from curriculum coaches, district was pushing ELA curriculum out of text book, too much testing and not enough support for test prep (not aligned with STAAR tested TEKS). Critical of leadership on campus, some pretty useless PDs. I could go on.

Beware

Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Harmony Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are students and parents who will grab your heart and care greatly about their education.

Cons

Administration is shady about money and discipline. Administration is disorganized and dishonest. Administration only cares about test scores and not about the well being of students and/or teachers.

8. sounds good on paper

I have been working at Harmony Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The administrators are open to suggesting and are often responsive to concerns.

Cons

micromanagement, unorganized, high workload, and toxic culture

Advice to Management

workload is too high for many teachers. You are asking them to move mountains but do not treat them respectfully. It is good to listen to the teacher's concerns, but follow up with real solutions and action. Diplomatic answers and smiling only goes so far when one feels mistreated and in a toxic environment.

Great Staff

I worked at Harmony Public Schools

Pros

The majority of the staff are incredibly dedicated and genuinely love what they do. They work tirelessly and commit their lives to educating the students that enter their classrooms.

Cons

The management lacks consideration for genuine education and focuses entirely on standardized tests and evaluations that showcase school accomplishments versus individual care of students. The teachers are not well compensated for their work and the classrooms often do not have enough supplies for students.

Lots of work with some freedom

Current Employee - Science Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Science Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Harmony Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for the Harmony School of Nature us that there are good team members and autonomy

Cons

Some of the downsides to work for the Harmony School of Nature is that if you are competent you will continually be asked to do more work than less competent or less reliable co-workers

Advice to Management

Trust effective people and do not ask more of them than in-effective people.

They give you a lot of freedom as it is a charter school, but they will really pile on the work.

Former Employee - Teacher in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Harmony Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom in how to teach, Lots of trainings, and good support for normal academics.

Cons

lower pay, making everyone do the job of a teacher and a half or more. A heavy expectation that you should just "Do it" without consideration for if they can/have time.

Advice to Management

Please talk to your employees. They aren't just worried about being compensated. They have families and lives which they are giving up to work with you. But there is little respect for that which drives them off.

RSS Feed </> Embed