HarperCollins

Updated December 9, 2014
3.2

HarperCollins President and CEO Brian Murray
Brian Murray

Pros
  • Free books all over, lunchroom downstairs (at least at 5 Ave, 53rd there was), summer Fridays (in 14 reviews)

• This company had great benefits, we worked like a family (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be very difficult--decisions seem to be made based on the whims of a few people rather than logic (in 6 reviews)

• If you're starting out as entry level, don't bother (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

The best job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at HarperCollins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits that start day one. Terrific work/life balance. Amazing colleagues.

Cons

HR communication needs some work.

Keep allowing people to do what they are passionate about.

Good for entry level experience

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at HarperCollins full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll get a basic knowledge of how publishing works at one of the largest pub houses in the world.

Cons

Petty managers, old school way of doing tings, if you are entry level you are expected to be grateful and never leave your position or ask for a raise even after a few years.

Get rid of managers who are lazy and run the department into the ground.

Dedicated to highest industry standards

I worked at HarperCollins

Pros

great midtown location, great benefits.

Cons

not a lot of opportunity for advancement

One of the most "Corporate" of the Big Five

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HarperCollins as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Cons

I worked at HarperCollins for 8th months back at their old offices at 5th Ave, 53rd. Perhaps I felt expendable and undervalued because I was a temp, but after working at Macmillan for the same amount of time (in a permanent position), I’ve realized how corporate and underhanded Harper was.

One of the most underhanded things this company does is how they treat their temps: every four months, they cut temps loose, because they don't want the Union to get on their case about paying benefits. So no matter how great a temp does, they get rid of them. You can apply to other jobs within the company, but you will be told by HR about a “finder’s fee” they’ll have to pay to the agency. I was told by HR, “We don’t want to punish you. We want to give you leverage above outsiders but...”

After my four month assignment ended, another temp position opened up in a different department. I was switched over to this new department, which Harper decided was ok. According to HR, the two jobs weren’t related (actually both departments had weekly meetings together) so they didn’t have to pay my benefits. So I got to stay on for another four months.

Naturally this four-month-temp-rule creates all sorts of disorganization within that particular department, because you have so many different people coming through. Too many hands are in the pie, and nothing gets done. Needless to say, the disorganization at Harper was unbelievable.

The second department I was transferred to was laid off in April of 2013... and then told that they could reapply for their jobs in the New Brunswick, NJ office. Not everyone was able to retain their jobs, either that, or they didn’t want to move to New Brunswick. My supervisor in this department had been there for nearly 20 years, and was (naturally) extremely bitter. The employees had one year to decide what they were going to do... in the meantime, Harper kept them on in the NYC office.

Another bad side of Harper? They’re owned by NewsCorp, which means the offices remain open the week between Christmas and New Year's. If you want the time off, you have to use your own vacation days. (As a temp, I took the time off, unpaid). How very NewsCorp of them.

On the last day of my employment my building card expired at 5pm on the dot. It was 5:09, and I had to get a coworker to buzz me out. Thanks Harper!

Stop using people as expendable cogs in the wheel, hire your temps that actually shine.

Good place to start out but leave after two year

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at HarperCollins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment. Perfect entry level position
    Good work/balance life

Cons

Not very good compensation
    Too much restructuring every couple of year
    Too many layoffs
    Not a good environment to grow after 2 years

Boring place, nice people

Former Employee - Accounts Payable
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable

I worked at HarperCollins full-time

Pros

Decent pay, quiet work environment

Cons

Not much room for creativity, no flexibility in schedule, everyone seems bored

Stop the cubicle culture

Editor

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at HarperCollins part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A fantastic place to learn and grow. Everyone is really helpful and the process helps you move up the ladder quickly.

Cons

Can be really cliquey and hard to move between groups. Socializing with other sections of the company is next to zero and it's difficult to meet those outside your office.

Great place to work and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at HarperCollins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I haven't met an unfriendly employee yet, upper management looks to grow their employees, location is central to many subway lines, easy to communicate inter-departmentally, great summer hours

Cons

lacking good lunch spots near office

more department-wide/company-wide activities would go a long way!

Great People; Very Corporate Work Environment

I worked at HarperCollins

Pros

The people are great and passionate about what they do; the books are also great; good benefits

Cons

Upper management can be very difficult--decisions seem to be made based on the whims of a few people rather than logic. The amount of work is overwhelming and many people are stretched too thin.

(Intern) Overall good experience!

Former Employee - Design Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Design Intern in New York, NY

I worked at HarperCollins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot and given a lot of responsibility.

Cons

The Wednesday chats didn't include much information about design, left me in the dark a bit. No pay or stipend.

Learn a little more about the design side of the business, it is pretty important.