Harris CapRock

Harris CapRock Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Harris CapRock President Tracey Haslam

Tracey Haslam

Started out strong, quickly fading...

ProsReally laid back place, not too many standards to be found. You're not likely too be fired for incompetence.

ConsAfter buying CapRock and doing away with the policies and people that made working there on the good side of livable, HCC Government seems to be consolidating to the desired level of zero employees!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't think for a second that feeling isolated from upper management is a problem. It is the best part of working at a satellite office.

Dreadful, mind-numbing, and juvenile

ProsThe best part of working here is the truism that nothing lasts forever - and soon those who work here won't work here anymore.

ConsThe culture is awful. There are four cliques that are struggling to take over the company - The Aberdeen, Scotland Clique, the Houston, TX Clique, the Harris Corporate Clique, and the UTC Clique. Members in each clique hate each of the others, so allegiances are fleeting. The Aberdeen Clique values personal relationships over business results - so they can not change the way they do business unless they think of the ideas. Houston is completely outcome oriented and customer driven - they will be smothered by the blown implementation of HBX. The Harris Clique does not really care, because they are the " teachers pets and cool kids with the nicest clothes" that picked on all the other kids in middle school PLUS the majority of Harris is funded by military expenditures (though not many on the board have served in the military, i.e. war profiteers - the worst kind of parasite) so as long as there is war they will make money. The UTC clique has better internal organization so they will end up "winning" against the other 3 cliques and Harris will be nothing more than a holding company that scalps a few cents off every dollar generated by the creative companies it must buy to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the entire management team were melted down - you'd be hard pressed to get a thimbleful of charisma. Set up a badge collection point for resigning sales professionals once you cut the checks for FY 2014.

Low morale

(Current Employee)

ProsLove the team I work with! Things could easily be turned around with the right leadership and realistic budgeting.

ConsHorrid HR leadership. Lack of executive leadership and experience. Constant org chart adjustments. Lack of customer service on the executive level. Zero incentives outside of your paycheck to go above and beyond. Government contracting parent company (Harris Corp) has no idea how to run a commercial based company with high demands. Internal costs to the parent company for lackluster "services" are astronomically killing any bottom line the Harris Caprock division is making. Expectations of running a multimillion dollar company with zero resources. Complete internal disorder (left hand/right hand analogy)

Advice to Senior ManagementHarris Caprock management is strictly tied down by the parent company rules, so all blame can not land on their shoulders. BUT, they could start by removing the Americas HR leadership team. There is ZERO support from one specific high ranking person on that team (and any employee/former employee easily knows who this is) and this is the person people are supposed to go to for help...which is truly a joke. Unfortunately, this is the same person the current Harris Caprock president listens to the most for advice...why? I have no idea.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional Leadership and HR

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsHarris CapRock was a great company before leadership failed. There are still a lot of good employees at the management and below levels.

ConsSenior Leadership and HR are absolutely horrible. Leadership continues to show its inexperience on a daily basis by continuing further down the rabbit hole and dragging good and loyal employees with them. HR gives leadership bad advice, acts unprofessionally and is NOT looking out for the employees or the future of the organization. People that are rated high contributors are treated like poor performers and people with proven work history are ignored or treated like outcasts because they do not agree with the decisions being made.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace HR and everyone at a VP level and above.

This company is history.

(Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe pros USED to be a true teamwork environment, a company that cared about employees and customers. IT was a great place to work and had crazy amount of talented, energetic long term staff who were invested in the company and its success. As of today, the pros are that people who are leaving have good experience on their resume to move on to better opportunities.

ConsHR is awful to put it mildly. Very demeaning, know-it-all, "get out of you don't like it" kind of attitude. Not an advocate for the employee even 1%. There is NO appreciation for many years of service, long working hours, dedication, knowledge and expertise. What is appreciated is people who can help them cut the bottom line.

Current president is even worse. She has offended and put off many high level customers who she thinks are not worthy of her time, underestimated the relationships with customers that took years to develop and lost all trust with them as well as many fantastic employees. Won't she be proud when all these folks who built and grew the company jump ship and she's the only one left as it sinks? Of course she will. She will have done her "job", right? And her hefty bonus/salary will be paid. Soooo worth it.

If this company isn't up for sale in the next few months to a year, I would be very surprised. The Harris Corp took a great customer-focused, successful company with a loyal and productive staff and has wiped out all the talent and experience and replaced it with a joke for a management team. Customers see this, don't they know this?? Customer service has hit the toilet, swirled around in a frenzy of blind budget cuts & denial and disappeared into the sewer to rot.

At least the competition will be happy. And all those who made millions off the sale and subsequent pillaging. They do not care one iota about all the lives and families that have been disrupted, turned over and in some cases, nearly destroyed. Corporate America at its finest.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's too late. Simply put. Promises have been made countless times. NO ONE believes them anymore so stop wasting your breath. Stop hiring consultants and spending loads of money when you know you'll never follow through with their ideas or suggestions.

I'll be outta here soon...so will all the other good people still hanging on by a thread. RIP.

Fun place to work if you're not Upper Management

Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEveryday is a challenge and I love working with my team. We deliver services to our customer in a very expeditious manner and in some of the most remote and harsh environments.

ConsExecutive Managment is non-existent. Constant turn over leaves most with no idea who their Upper Level Managment are. Sure there's a chart but who are these people? Raises are lack luster. How can anybody be happy with what they have been receving for the past 3 years?

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove road blocks to giving promotions and raises to deserving employees. Retain people that add value to the company instead of training them for the competition.

Going down hill fast.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsLong term employees still remember the better days and are great to work with. New facility in Herndon is nice. Salaries are good.

ConsNew management all the way to the Division level don't truly understand the business. Don't care about the employees. The focus is so internal (charts and presentations to corporate) there is so little focus going to customers and employee morale. Management never mentions morale and it's importance. In the new Herndon office, they do not interact with employees outside of their high floor corner offices. T

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost the focus of the business which was once so clear. President and division president and his team don't get it. You don't attend customer events or marketing shows that once made big impacts on the business. You don't interface with the employees.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Humpty Dumpty says it all..

ProsA great vision with talented people created an industry leading company with little room for competition in the market. The best of the best we're sought and sourced, product lines developed and profit margins bloomed.

ConsThen Harris came along and changes began in a steady decline of people and profit until the point a group of ne'er do well leftovers unable to advance under previous management are leading the remaining few.
     No leadership, oversight, direction, ethics or morals led by an over empowered HR has built the wall Humpty Dumpty sits on.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the HR leadership for the Americas and reevaluate the stance on the core business and leadership. Your employees are not your enemies, your HR and leadership team is..

A good stepping stone to another employer.

Field Technician (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI got paid to get certified in the offshore industry. I see a few rigs per month and what is on the job market. I would recommend this job to a friend but warn them to find another employer fast.

ConsLow pay. Unpredictable call outs. Constant focus on using cheaper labour and not paying overtime. There is still an exodus of experienced employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay overtime. The job doesn't pay enough and client comms problems frequently spill into overtime.

Too much stress, too little compensation

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsFlexible schedule, close knit local management and coworkers, culture open to innovative ideas

ConsToo much overtime, late night/weekend calls with little respect to personal life, insufficient compensation, and recently terrible raises after a great year.

Upper management has little respect for the engineers that keep the company running and push the technological boundaries forward. Even the best, brightest, most senior engineers see little in the way of fair compensation unless they are on the verge of walking out.

There are too many people that punch in, do the minimum amount of work and go home for the day. The key individuals that go above and beyond aren't treated any better or given any reason to continue to take up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and appropriately compensate anyone that is pulling more than their fair share of the weight.

Worked for Harris CapRock? Contribute to the Community!