Harris CapRock

Updated October 19, 2014
1.5

Harris CapRock President Tracey Haslam
Tracey Haslam

Pros
  • Good people tend to band together so you get a lot of support from your peers (in 4 reviews)

• We are no longer next to the Portable toilet company on one side, that used to spray the insides of the portable toilets all over our cars (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Before Harris' influence was really felt, there was a high level of professionalism in our office (in 4 reviews)

• Hired people right prior to merge with parent company, then lay everyone off 8-10 months later (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A Resume builder

Current Employee - Technical in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical in Houston, TX

I have been working at Harris CapRock full-time

Pros

Great people to work with in the tech side aka bottom dwellers on the first floor. Good to have their name on your resume to your next job.

Cons

Low Pay
    No Technical Training in house by higher level personnel, you kind of have to figure everything out as you go.
    Work Life Balance blows, Upper management is garbage but we will see how things fair after new restructuring.
    Aberdeen, UK might be a better place to work.

Nothing can save this mess.

Send in the clowns...

Current Employee - CSC Engineer in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - CSC Engineer in Hanover, MD

I have been working at Harris CapRock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lack of new business and loss of older business leaves a lot of time for working on a resume.

Free coffee.

Cons

Hired by CapRock Government Solutions in 2010 straight out of the military. Compared to the pay and benefits as a single soldier, CapRock was a step up. Shortly after my start date I was informed that Harris Corporation was buying the company. Great, I thought. Harris is well respected in the military communications world, so I figured that we would be expanding and growing the company. Before Harris' influence was really felt, there was a high level of professionalism in our office. Over time though, the culture changed to become less flexible in areas that demand flexibility. Roles became less and less clearly defined. Raises were questionable considering the shareholder's annual company performance review, which detailed how the CEO of Harris requested a 50% raise on $8M in salary, meanwhile the average raise for us non-executives was around 1.8%. After 3 years of those raises, I looked over some old pay stubs, and all thing considered, I was better off during my first year than I am today. I was passed over for a promotion when my manager decided to hire outside the company. Well, there is a 90 day probationary period in which you can be terminated with no cause, which was the plan, because the guy they hired instead of promoting me turned out to be a turd. 3 days before he was due to be canned (at the 90 day point), our management team was let go. It took another year to get this individual to leave for greener pastures. After that, there were a slew of managers that lasted about 2 months each before either going back to what they did in the company, or outright resigning. The latest was offered a better job 6 months into his tenure, so he left. Then the brunt of his responsibilities fell on my shift lead, who was given no extra pay for his trouble. Now my shift lead is moving on. All of this is happening against the backdrop of an office consolidation that was ill-planned. Everyone affected voiced their concerns, and we were told that although we may face an extra 1.5 hours commuting time to the new office, we would receive no extra compensation for the move whatsoever. We were also told that my particular field of expertise was no longer going to be the focus of the company. During my time here I have gotten 4 of my friends to work here, and for that I am sorry. Exit, stage right!

Just divest the company already, you know you want your stock to do better, and that's the bottom line, right? Why couldn't you guys have tried to acquire a satellite and truly own bandwidth instead of being a bandwidth reseller?

Started out strong, quickly fading...

I have been working at Harris CapRock

Pros

Really laid back place, not too many standards to be found. You're not likely too be fired for incompetence.

Cons

After buying CapRock and doing away with the policies and people that made working there on the good side of livable, HCC Government seems to be consolidating to the desired level of zero employees!

Don't think for a second that feeling isolated from upper management is a problem. It is the best part of working at a satellite office.

Don't join this company. the company will be gone in years time.

I worked at Harris CapRock full-time

Pros

Good colleagues, very happy to work with them.

Cons

No caeer progression, no training unless you ask and you're not always get it because of the budget. poor higher management. doesn't care employees at all. keep reducing benefits after merge. clueless HR managers and know nothing and cannot do anything. poorly engineered solutions were sold to customers by sales people and leaving all good engineers big headache to deal with incidents. and more..... you can experience all bad things a company could have in HCC.

take care of the employees and then you will win the business. suck useless managers to save your cost not cutting benefits. get someone who knows the history of DMS, GCS to run the business.

good employee will let you more focus on expanding the business rather than headaches.

Dreadful, mind-numbing, and juvenile

I have been working at Harris CapRock

Pros

The best part of working here is the truism that nothing lasts forever - and soon those who work here won't work here anymore.

Cons

The culture is awful. There are four cliques that are struggling to take over the company - The Aberdeen, Scotland Clique, the Houston, TX Clique, the Harris Corporate Clique, and the UTC Clique. Members in each clique hate each of the others, so allegiances are fleeting. The Aberdeen Clique values personal relationships over business results - so they can not change the way they do business unless they think of the ideas. Houston is completely outcome oriented and customer driven - they will be smothered by the blown implementation of HBX. The Harris Clique does not really care, because they are the " teachers pets and cool kids with the nicest clothes" that picked on all the other kids in middle school PLUS the majority of Harris is funded by military expenditures (though not many on the board have served in the military, i.e. war profiteers - the worst kind of parasite) so as long as there is war they will make money. The UTC clique has better internal organization so they will end up "winning" against the other 3 cliques and Harris will be nothing more than a holding company that scalps a few cents off every dollar generated by the creative companies it must buy to succeed.

If the entire management team were melted down - you'd be hard pressed to get a thimbleful of charisma. Set up a badge collection point for resigning sales professionals once you cut the checks for FY 2014.

Low morale

I have been working at Harris CapRock

Pros

Love the team I work with! Things could easily be turned around with the right leadership and realistic budgeting.

Cons

Horrid HR leadership. Lack of executive leadership and experience. Constant org chart adjustments. Lack of customer service on the executive level. Zero incentives outside of your paycheck to go above and beyond. Government contracting parent company (Harris Corp) has no idea how to run a commercial based company with high demands. Internal costs to the parent company for lackluster "services" are astronomically killing any bottom line the Harris Caprock division is making. Expectations of running a multimillion dollar company with zero resources. Complete internal disorder (left hand/right hand analogy)

Harris Caprock management is strictly tied down by the parent company rules, so all blame can not land on their shoulders. BUT, they could start by removing the Americas HR leadership team. There is ZERO support from one specific high ranking person on that team (and any employee/former employee easily knows who this is) and this is the person people are supposed to go to for help...which is truly a joke. Unfortunately, this is the same person the current Harris Caprock president listens to the most for advice...why? I have no idea.

Unprofessional Leadership and HR

I have been working at Harris CapRock full-time

Pros

Harris CapRock was a great company before leadership failed. There are still a lot of good employees at the management and below levels.

Cons

Senior Leadership and HR are absolutely horrible. Leadership continues to show its inexperience on a daily basis by continuing further down the rabbit hole and dragging good and loyal employees with them. HR gives leadership bad advice, acts unprofessionally and is NOT looking out for the employees or the future of the organization. People that are rated high contributors are treated like poor performers and people with proven work history are ignored or treated like outcasts because they do not agree with the decisions being made.

Replace HR and everyone at a VP level and above.

This company is history.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Harris CapRock full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pros USED to be a true teamwork environment, a company that cared about employees and customers. IT was a great place to work and had crazy amount of talented, energetic long term staff who were invested in the company and its success. As of today, the pros are that people who are leaving have good experience on their resume to move on to better opportunities.

Cons

HR is awful to put it mildly. Very demeaning, know-it-all, "get out of you don't like it" kind of attitude. Not an advocate for the employee even 1%. There is NO appreciation for many years of service, long working hours, dedication, knowledge and expertise. What is appreciated is people who can help them cut the bottom line.

Current president is even worse. She has offended and put off many high level customers who she thinks are not worthy of her time, underestimated the relationships with customers that took years to develop and lost all trust with them as well as many fantastic employees. Won't she be proud when all these folks who built and grew the company jump ship and she's the only one left as it sinks? Of course she will. She will have done her "job", right? And her hefty bonus/salary will be paid. Soooo worth it.

If this company isn't up for sale in the next few months to a year, I would be very surprised. The Harris Corp took a great customer-focused, successful company with a loyal and productive staff and has wiped out all the talent and experience and replaced it with a joke for a management team. Customers see this, don't they know this?? Customer service has hit the toilet, swirled around in a frenzy of blind budget cuts & denial and disappeared into the sewer to rot.

At least the competition will be happy. And all those who made millions off the sale and subsequent pillaging. They do not care one iota about all the lives and families that have been disrupted, turned over and in some cases, nearly destroyed. Corporate America at its finest.

It's too late. Simply put. Promises have been made countless times. NO ONE believes them anymore so stop wasting your breath. Stop hiring consultants and spending loads of money when you know you'll never follow through with their ideas or suggestions.

I'll be outta here soon...so will all the other good people still hanging on by a thread. RIP.

Fun place to work if you're not Upper Management

Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Harris CapRock full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Everyday is a challenge and I love working with my team. We deliver services to our customer in a very expeditious manner and in some of the most remote and harsh environments.

Cons

Executive Managment is non-existent. Constant turn over leaves most with no idea who their Upper Level Managment are. Sure there's a chart but who are these people? Raises are lack luster. How can anybody be happy with what they have been receving for the past 3 years?

Remove road blocks to giving promotions and raises to deserving employees. Retain people that add value to the company instead of training them for the competition.

Going down hill fast.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Harris CapRock full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Long term employees still remember the better days and are great to work with. New facility in Herndon is nice. Salaries are good.

Cons

New management all the way to the Division level don't truly understand the business. Don't care about the employees. The focus is so internal (charts and presentations to corporate) there is so little focus going to customers and employee morale. Management never mentions morale and it's importance. In the new Herndon office, they do not interact with employees outside of their high floor corner offices. T

You have lost the focus of the business which was once so clear. President and division president and his team don't get it. You don't attend customer events or marketing shows that once made big impacts on the business. You don't interface with the employees.

Harris CapRock Photos