Harris

Harris Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown

Bill Brown

Pros:
  • "9/80 work week allows for every other Friday off"
    in 26 reviews
  • "The project I've been on for 3 years has a great work life balance"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "The newest slogan is "do more with less" so the work-life balance is skewing"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper Management likes to out source your job once they see that your work is complete"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Used to be the best place around...

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsGood job security. Stable. Average pay.

ConsRecent benefits cut drops desirability when considering other similar companies. It takes too long to get things done and raises have been practically non-existent for the last 3-4 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees back what was taken away and allow people to move around when they are bored.

Not the company it used to be; exquisite military solutions being commoditized into fire alarms

GCS Engineer (Former Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsExtremely talented and dedicated engineers that value precision and end customer. Challenging work. Melbourne is a quiet town with good cost of living and now new opportunities with Northrop expanding. 9/80 schedule is great.

ConsBenefits are quickly eroding: health coverage well behind industry now, 9/80 removed in some areas (likely more soon), 401K likely going down, vacation to be limited, and median raises st 1.6% for over a half decade. Speak up and plan for a pink slip. Corporate management appears dead-set on treating engineers like unskilled assembly line workers, and soon that's the caliber of engineer they will have left. Rewards for innovation have become a 'marginal novelty' joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementKey talent is leaving. Measure it, accept it, or just plain ignore it. While you celebrate the record-high stock prices, you can be assured (just as the employees pride themselves in assured communications) that the talent who executes and grows the business will have its eyes looking outside for opportunities providing the rewards Harris is removing.

They focus on profit, not their people.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsFair salary and benefits. Fair bonuses. Good co workers. Plans to improve the poor working conditions in some buildings. Good community relations. Fair training.

ConsLeadership is lacking. Low annual cost of living increases. Too much focus on the bottom line. Don't care about the people who do the work. Lack of patience with new people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the annual re-orgs. Promote for performance, not politics.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New Wave of Management

ProsThe people. Most are passionate about their work. Good place to get you chops...then leave.

ConsRaises are abysmal (2%). Retention policy is none existent. When there is a reduction in force, competency, talent, commitment and expertise are not considered. Years of experience are accounting for nothing. Years now mean you cost more, have more vacation..that is the only value judgement made. Must keep the stock up (Buy backs) and a steady dividend.

Advice to Senior Management"Train your people so they can leave. Treat them well so they won't". "You lead people; you manage things". Get a vision, communicate it, and execute. 3 strikes on those.

Solid work place

ProsGreat place to work for flexible schedules and the following:

Exposure to lots of technology.
    RF experience opportunity
    Testing experience
    Server and Sans experience

ConsLack of promotion
    Lack of formal training

They seem to have a fetish for B.S. Degrees, and moving up is bottle necked by the "Who you know" system.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more analyzing of who has great skills. There seems to be a big push on hiring college students with B.S. degrees and no experience VS. rewarding those who have been there for years and knows what they are doing.

Contracts Manager (Current Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsFairly decent salary. One of the better employers if Brevard County is your home.

ConsLack of employee growth and development. 'Chosen' employees given opportunities even if they don't have the experience or aptitude. Manages need training on Mid-Year Authoria reviews and how to get an employee to the next level.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak up the good old boy network at GCS. Most managers are 'in' the network.

Not challenging work.

Billing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Dulles, VA

ProsEasy to get a job with the company.

ConsLack of personal interaction with others.

Software engineer working on a weather ground system

Software Engineer III (Former Employee)
    Greenbelt, MD

ProsThis is an engineering company, not a software company. Many engineers get to work on back end parts of a system, which is something I prefer. I would recommend this company as an employer in spite of some difficulties listed below because I think they were isolated to the project I was on, and because you could go in knowing what you would face with process and hold conversations with management early to mitigate them.

ConsHarris has branded itself as an expert in process, which unfortunately causes it to get in its own way. We had high-stakes software tests viewed as representing 90% of a team's accomplishment. Because tests were so important, one team's test would freeze the code base for months preventing another team (us) from finishing development needed to be ready for our test (we could not compile our code).

Advice to Senior ManagementSoftware development is simpler than it was on this project: Write some code, test it, review it, update your local branch from the trunk, re-test, and commit your change. Simplify the process to support these steps. Don't have too many branches, don't require too many steps in to commit code.

Great Company!

ProsHarris Corporatoin has great benefits.

ConsSalary and promotions aren't based on experience and performance.

Solid company with good reputation.

Technical Trainer II (Current Employee)
    Lynchburg, VA

ProsCompensation is above average, benefits and bonus structure is good. Company provides good opportunities for advancement and allows employees to engage in additional training on their own initiative while covering the costs of these trainings.

ConsVery reactive to stock market prices and performance. Targets can tend to be unrealistic which reflects negatively on bonus structure. The structure is fragmented due to different priorities and targets.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake annual goals realistic and achievable...not wishful thinking. Embrace opportunities to move ahead of the competition and work on eliminating the underdog mentality.

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harris CEO Bill Brown. All 371 reviews posted anonymously by Harris employees.