Harris

Harris Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown

Bill Brown

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule has definitely kept me from leaving the company despite several other offers(in 29 reviews)

• The project I've been on for 3 years has a great work life balance(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The newest slogan is "do more with less" so the work-life balance is skewing(in 7 reviews)

• Upper Management likes to out source your job once they see that your work is complete(in 11 reviews)

It's okay company

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL

Pros- Lots of programs and projects
    - People are friendly and respectful
    - Each program/project is like it's own company
    - Able to transfer to different programs/projects if succession plan is in place
    - Has cafeteria in different campus

Cons- Not keeping talent event though they claim they do
    - Not keeping salary competitive for seasoned engineers

Advice to Senior Management- Need to improve benefits and employees are paying too much on deductibles. Bring back the awesome benefits we once had.
    - Employees would love this company and stay if salary is more competitive for existing employees.

Software engineer working on a weather ground system

Software Engineer III (Former Employee) Greenbelt, MD

ProsThis is an engineering company, not a software company. Many engineers get to work on back end parts of a system, which is something I prefer. I would recommend this company as an employer in spite of some difficulties listed below because I think they were isolated to the project I was on, and because you could go in knowing what you would face with process and hold conversations with management early to mitigate them.

ConsHarris has branded itself as an expert in process, which unfortunately causes it to get in its own way. We had high-stakes software tests viewed as representing 90% of a team's accomplishment. Because tests were so important, one team's test would freeze the code base for months preventing another team (us) from finishing development needed to be ready for our test (we could not compile our code).

Advice to Senior ManagementSoftware development is simpler than it was on this project: Write some code, test it, review it, update your local branch from the trunk, re-test, and commit your change. Simplify the process to support these steps. Don't have too many branches, don't require too many steps in to commit code.

Some good opportunities.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting work. Most people I have met are very good.

ConsHas large company bureaucracy, but not as bad as some.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHarris has good benefits and the 9/80 is quite convenient.

ConsThe treasury department is a horrible place to work. Management in all departments do not support you in growth. Harris is only hiring new grads and letting all their older workers go.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to accept that people sometimes want more for their careers

Great Company!

ProsHarris Corporatoin has great benefits.

ConsSalary and promotions aren't based on experience and performance.

Network Engineer II

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Bremerton, WA

ProsGreat People, Good Medical, Get Rewards, and BONUS's

ConsPay, but not as bad as other companies. Wish the NMCI contract was ending, don't really want to leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your Employees what they are worth.

subcontract manager

Subcontract (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL

Prosvery nice people and challenging work - 9/80 work schredule

Consmid management at time do not understand the challenges at the program level

Advice to Senior Managementmid managers should be have more program experience - at times they think we are building tosters instead of unique systems

Management successes are on the backs of the employees (that receive zero rewards for their efforts)

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) Palm Bay, FL

ProsSadly, now I don't see any. (working on getting another job with another company)

ConsBenefits used to above all others. Unfortunately they are being eroded to be below the rest of the industry. Raises for the last several years are virtually non-existent even when the company had high profits, profit sharing is pathetic, work environment is horrible, milestones are ridiculous, innovation has died out, excessive uses of obsolete technology, promotions are next to impossible unless you happen to be one of the "chosen" ones. Employee generated cost savings are overlooked. Forced to work unpaid overtime, no training unless it is a lunchtime seminar where you donate your time. Facilities are old and mold-ridden. New technology center is a joke. New CEO treats engineers like a commodity. If you want to get ahead, you have to be a "yes" person and never speak your mind. Management is only focused on stock price and short term goals. Although stock looks good now, I believe future failures will cause significant long-term harm.

Stay away - very far away. There are better opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop patting yourselves on the back telling yourself how great you are and go back to school so you might learn how to properly manage a company or get out. You are destroying the company and it is quickly approaching the point of no return. Oust the CEO before there is nothing left to save.

Good.

ProsFair compensation, good benefits, some real talent in secondary leadership positions.

ConsRequirements of contracts are often changed, and when that happens, sometimes your positions disappears. In the current sequestration crisis, and belt-tightening in Washington, D.C., management has tended to staff contracts with entry-to-mid level individuals, and it is difficult to find a senior position.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on finding outstanding individuals for secondary leadership positions. If you have a dud leading a team, everyone is miserable and productivity falls.

Poor employee experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsThe products serve our military, firefighters, and police. Knowing we make a difference in protecting them is very rewarding.

ConsNo pay raises in years. Health care benefits cut and cost increased. Holiday schedule changed, less time off. Very slow to accrue vacation, have to be there 10 years to get an additional week. Mid management in engineering is very poor to the point of being ineffective and useless. Corporate management is only interested ii the shareholders.

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!