Harris Computer

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harris Computer CEO Jeff Bender

Jeff Bender

Growing, financially aggressive company. Progressive management.

I have been working at Harris Computer full-time

ProsAlthough part of a larger organization, divisions are basically autonomous and working atmosphere environment is of a small, close-knit community.

ConsA lot of work, not uncommon to need to work long hours.

Depends on the division

Niagara Falls, NY

I have been working at Harris Computer full-time

ProsThere are a lot of lukewarm or bad reviews on this site, and not all Harris divisions are like that. Each one is fairly autonomous and has its own leadership team. The one I work for is very collaborative, has great people, stresses unit testing, good software cycles, constant improvement, new technologies (for a reason, not just because they are new), and hiring smart people. It feels like a small company that has a large company guarding its back.

ConsFree candy on the desks can make you fat if you don't watch yourself

One of the worst companies I have worked for

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee)
Tyler, TX

I worked at Harris Computer

ProsIt has air conditioning. You have the opportunity to learn a lot of new software. Most of the other employees are nice.

Cons- There are 17 people in the office and yet the internet connection is a 3 Mbs DSL connection. Yet, there are many times whole databases must be downloaded from customer server. Supposedly the $2,500 to have Suddenlink extend the cable modem to that location is too much?
- Little to no communication from management, when they do communicate it is mostly bad
- No clear guidelines as to what is expected from employees, just that you aren't meeting expectations.
- Incompetent customer support manager who doesn't know how to use the software
- Management relies on other employees to train new employees because they don't know how or don't have the time.
- Salaries are low.
- Expected to work 45 hours a week minimum plus one half Saturday a month.
- Not compensated for the extra time or the Saturday.
- I was hired to be a Microsoft Dynamics GP project manager and ended up being a support tech for their utility billing software.
- first month on the job I spent sitting in a cubicle reading out of date technical support manuals and bothering other support techs trying to learn the software.
- Customer support manager is a text book micro manager.
- The regional manager only comes in maybe once a month to check on things. Other than that he is on his ranch in East Texas somewhere because supposedly "He works better from home." Well, so do I, can I work from home? By the way, how much is that guy making?

Advice to Senior Management- Move the tech support manager to his own department or get a manager in there that can do more than send out e-mails telling the support techs that there are calls in the queue as if they don't already see that.

- Communicate expectations as to how many calls should be closed a month. Set some kind of standard. Don't say an employee is simply not producing enough.

- Take an honest look at the more senior support techs time sheets and how they close their calls. There was some padding going on.

- Drop the minimum 45 hour work week. It's not the employees fault the company is understaffed and doesn't want to pay to get good people.

Ongoing determination must replace frustration to see rewards as a sales representative at Harris Computer Systems.

Regional Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Dover, NH

I have been working at Harris Computer

Pros1) Technology - the use of new technolgies to communicate (instant messenger, e-mail, WebEx, conference calls)
2) Semi-Annual Reviews so that employees know their strengths and weaknesses with the company
3) A strong marketing department that supports the sales staff
3) Fringe Benefits that include $250 LifeStyle Rewards that can be used for movie tickets, concert tickets or other hobbies.
4) Performance based bonues - the better you perform, the bigger the bonus!
5) An accessible management staff - got a question or concern? It is relatively easy to reach a manager to get an answer regarding your concern.
6) TEAM enviroment - everyone works together to achieve the company's goals

Cons1) Long Sales Cycle - It will take a year or more to achieve measurable success in this industry, since local governments make decisions based on town meeting schedules - which typically occur annually.
2) Low Base Salary - Many other industries with a long consultive based sales offer higher base salaries OR higher commission percentages
3) Medical Benefits coverage is expensive and limited
4) Sales representatives do not have their own leeway to negotiate with prospects - all negotiations must be run through management
5) Referral sales to other divisions are not compensated
6) Quotas are uniform throughout the country and not based on the individual territories and market conditions
7) Training is poor or in many cases non-existent. Sales people are responsible for gaining product knowledge through their own efforts - there is no structured training for sales people on the products
8) Ongoing sales training is up to the individual sales representatives and is done through their own efforts and at their own expense.

Advice to Senior Management1) Adjust quotas to match the regional markets throughout the country
2) Allow sales representatives a range to negotiate with prospects WITHOUT having to go to management
3) Conduct sales training more frequently
4) Provide structured product training to sales people rather than relying on sales people to learn the products only through a self taught methodology
5) Provide ongoing sales training including through a variety of media including web, classroom, and regular conference calls
6) Utilize a standard CRM that is fast, easy to use and can stand alone (it does not require an internet connection)

A lot of good people work here ... but that's all

I have been working at Harris Computer

Pros- Good insurance
- Vacations
- Free team breakfasts on friday

Cons- Professional development
- Innovation (They maintain systems instead of developing new ones)
- Low salaries. They like profit but not sharing it with employees ;-)
- A company specialized in accounting software that has an "accountant" attitude with their salaries

Great people. Lack of direction.

Sales & Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Harris Computer full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people. Opportunity to work from home is a plus!

ConsLack of direction, opportunity and compensation. Fewer management meetings; stronger decisions. 'Slow change' is an understatement here. The current strategy seems to be to buy up legacy products and increase acquisitions. They price their software too high, despite being behind the curve on functionality.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the feedback surveys--take some action!

Make sure you know if you have to sign a non compete agreement before you take the job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Harris Computer full-time for less than a year

ProsSalary was fair, even generous. Health, dental, life insurance was above average. Holidays, vacation sick and personal were pretty standard.

Colleagues were generally very nice.

ConsPrior to hire, they did not disclose the true nature of the job, the amount and extent of travel required

Even though my interviewer and I discussed non compete agreements, she never mentioned that they were going to require me to sign one. When it was presented to me on my second day of employment, she recounted the conversation we had during my interview. IMHO, she intentionally misled me.

Also, they reserve the right to terminate an employee in the first three months of employment (pretty standard probationary period). The bad part is even if they fire you, they will enforce the non compete for the entire US and Canada for 12 months, following termination.

Current employees in same position are working 60-80 hours per week.

Onboarding process for new employees is non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell prospective employees the truth about the job. Send them the required non compete and non- disclosure agreements during the hiring process.

Great people - sometimes lacking direction.

I have been working at Harris Computer

ProsThe people are the best part of this job. Friday breakfasts are a nice perk as well as a good rewards program.

ConsThere is a constant shift in direction that seems to be reactive rather than pro-active. This company needs to get better at making plans ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a great staff and fairly good management. There needs to be more driven focus on items - don't react to problems as they become large issues, spend more time solving the problems up front.

Professional Services

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Harris Computer

ProsBenefits are the best in the city, You get around 10K bonuses every year plus bursaries. Everyone is friendly, the deadlines are not strict. The work is overall easy.

ConsCan't improve as a Software Engineer.
No such thing as pair programming, everyone is for himself.
No code reviews
No unit testing
No team meetings
Old technology

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness side is great, they are doing a great job.

Worked for Harris Computer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris Computer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harris Computer CEO Jeff Bender. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Harris Computer employees.