Harris Connect Reviews

Robert Gluck

1. Good place to be

Current Employee - Work At Home Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Work At Home Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Harris Connect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is extensive and the team really allows to utilize your own skills into the sales process. A very laid back sales environment because you're not cold calling the prospects (most of the time) and they might give you the option to work from home which I do, and love.

Cons

I've had very little cons aside from the schedule fluctuations due to the business. When we're slow you might not get all 40 hours, and when we're busy it could be a mandatory 45.

2. Deceptive.. I agree with a previous poster

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Harris Connect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent training pay
    Secure badge entry
    No weekends

Cons

Deceptive from the start. The hiring manager was very nice, but I learned quickly that the interview and even the training itself was not all the way truthful. You'll quickly feel a downward shift after the training once you get to the sales floor. There are training classes in groups of 15+ every two weeks for a reason... and it's not because they're growing. Please be aware that it is not until after training that you will find out that you have 6 weeks to meet certain sales goals or you will be cut. No if's, and's, or but's. If you can afford that risk, go for it. If you really need the paycheck without that risk then don't bother applying.

Even though there is no cold calling per se, most people wonder how you got their home number, or work number especially. I called several lawyers' offices and hospitals... only to feel completely embarrassed by the receptionist or the alum himself because it was so off putting to conduct a sales call to someone of such prestige at their place of work. We're talking about graduates of The John Hopkins University, Yale, and the like. So-and-So, Esquire and Dr. I-Worked-Hard-For-This and their buddies will quickly put you in your place when you're trying to sell him a 90's style directory and magazines.

Unprofessional feel. I came dressed in business casual, but compared to most of the managers and leaders on the floor, I realized I was trying too hard. For everything they demand from you, I expect management to act and dress the part... but that's just me.

Outdated product, but hey they're still in business for now. As someone previously stated, the people who buy the product are elderly or have money to throw in any direction. Social media has made this product completely unnecessary for the majority. Either you love sales and you're amazing at it, or you're using this strictly as a place holder in between jobs for however long you may last.

Micromanagement. Of course calls are timed and monitored as expected, but it's a little ridiculous when an adult has to explain why they were logged off to be able to use the restroom... which you have to rush to do only so that you can come back with your head hanging low because you know the question will eventually come up. It's that feeling from kindergarten when you're at the water fountain with the kid behind you counting and tapping you on the shoulder. No thank you.

During training we were introduced to some of the enthusiastic sales reps who claimed how much they loved their job, the benefits, and the money potential. It made me feel welcome and like it was a good place to be. Unfortunately those few people were hand picked to play into HR's hype that they sell to you during the interview.

Advice to Management

Be completely honest upfront. You'll be able to weed people out from the beginning instead of wasting training hours and money on people who will eventually walk out

3. No morals or integrity!

Former Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Harris Connect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some friends who I still keep in touch with now. Pretty decent break room. They have a security guard and badge only entry.

Cons

They told my training class (about 20 ppl) that we were chosen out of 900 (yes hundred) applications that they had received. YEAH RIGHT! 2 weeks later...another training class started....and another one 2 weeks after that. They don't care if an elderly woman falls on the ground pleading for help while you're listening helplessly on the other line. I wanted to call the assisted living facility she was at to let them know. But NO, was told by a Manager to disposition the call (meaning hang up) and go on to the next one. "They will find her eventually" they told me. Excuse me?! What planet are you on? I stood up for what was right...the next day, my badge didn't work. They fired me by telephone...the one in the hallway outside the security office. Seriously? You hired me face to face...you can't face me to fire me? I don't want to work for a company who doesn't care about people...ESPECIALLY the elderly!

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of others. Don't turn your back on someone who clearly needs your help. Stand up for the right thing.

5. Proceed with caution

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Harris Connect

Pros

Better than average starting pay; Professionally administrated; Decent benefits available

Cons

Mandatory overtime with very brief breaks; increased pressure to be less-than-honest, or even predatory with callers. Constantly reducing services to customers while increasing prices and charges. Company is trying to sell 1995 products in the 21st century, but refuses to.make much needed changes.

Advice to Management

Learn about sales, as a profession,before you try to train or supervise sales reps. The majority of you have NO clue about real sales. Also, stop lying to reps when they have questions. Be honest about the company and the work.

6. Great company for Work At Home types!

Current Employee - Fundraiser in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Harris Connect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home is definitely a plus.

Cons

At the same time, working from home is a con, harder to have a community atmosphere with no community.

Advice to Management

Maybe offer team meetings weekly or biweekly with the cameras.

7. Very fair workplace

Former Employee - Technology in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Technology in Henderson, NV

I worked at Harris Connect full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They were very fair to me. I have no real complaints.

Cons

Salary could have been better, but benefits did help make up for that.

Advice to Management

Don't compartmentalize duties so much.

8. Not a bad job to avoid starvation

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Harris Connect full-time

Pros

Not much micro-management, they let you breathe some.

Good training program for their new hires

Cons

Awful compensation, if your sick one day, your basically ruined the rest of the week's pay and are stuck with the 12 dollars an hour, unless you sell a ton of books like a pro to break even.

Outbound calls..HORRIBLE. Thanks to loopholes in the laws, Harris connect can call people's homes day, noon, evening, and try to pitch them the expensive directories. If the inbound calls are slow, your automatically routed to harass people at home.

Not as described

Former Employee - Customer Service/Inside Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Inside Sales in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harris Connect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay at $12 an hour during training. If you have no soul, then you should have no problems.
    Weekends off.

Cons

If you have a soul, and feelings, get ready to be sad. They've only been hiring for the 1pm to 10pm shift, and once it's after 7pm, everyone on outbound is pretty much furious with you. Yes, you will have to call people's houses all the way up until 9:59pm. The chance to get sales are few, as there are not as many inbound calls coming in anymore, yet they continue to hire. This company is becoming obsolete, no one want to spend $130 on a glorified phone book. Most of my buyers were, sad to say, elderly who weren't really sure what was going on, and rich alum who could care less about dropping $100. I think the only reason they do it too, is because they think the school is getting a cut, which they aren't.

Advice to Management

In my interview, I was told everything was a soft sale and that the company was not about sales. I was told that making the customers happy was the most important thing. Once we were put on the phones, everything changed and everything was about the sale. It would have been fine if they'd been upfront about it, no need to beat around the bush.

10. Run the other way. They are deceptive

I have been working at Harris Connect

Pros

Pay was par. The other employees worked hard

Cons

The staff has favorites with a full blouse that can do more wrong. The corporate leadership was fired by the board and the marketplace does not need a $120. Book about their former school. The place was dirty and felt abandoned with old computer systems and papers laying around.

Advice to Management

Lock the doors

11. great people

Former Employee - Sales Agent/Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Agent/Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harris Connect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

bonus structure is achievable new projects all the time

Cons

low salary, repetitve schedule, no career development

Advice to Management

encourage upward mobility