Harris Connect Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
Robert Gluck

1. Was a great opprotunity...

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Harris Connect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers, my management team was excellent. The loyalty between employer and employee was great. I enjoyed a Sr. Sales Rep. position because of my positive attitude. I got paid for the work I put into it... I was able to hit $40,000 - the benefits were excellent!!! Overtime was completely supported which would put me at $17.00 and hour + commission.

Cons

This is not a job for someone who has a bad attitude or for someone who does not want to work for a living.

Advice to Management

Use your best sellers to motivate the ones who are not doing so great. Sometimes it is easier to be coached by someone from your peer group than a supervisor or upper management.

2. This place was a circus...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Nothing good to say about this employer.

Cons

Poor management creates a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Get it together!

3. Sales Rep

Pros

Work from home, paid training, off on weekends, paid holidays, the environment is really laid back

Cons

commission bonus is not great, only get 10 minute breaks & 30 minute lunches...you earn commission from the company, but aren't entitled to it until you graduate from training which can be up to 8 weeks...excessive amount of talking with no breaks, annoying amount of coaching..you aren't eligible for insurance until 90 days of being at the company,hours suck

Advice to Management

Give longer lunches or breaks, allow people to get their commission while training

work from home not what you think it would be...

Former Employee - Sales Agent/Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Agent/Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Harris Connect (Less than a year)

Pros

500.00 paid for "training" 12.00 per hour for "training" 11.00 per hour plus commission after "training" work is on the phone and computer simultaneously

Cons

-The companys equipment your are provided to do your work is junk. -You are expected to have your home 100% quite which is very disrupting to your normal home life -you have to talk to customers all day many of which call in and are upset for being solicited. -you have to try to sell books to dead peoples realitives

Advice to Management

i think the company is selling information that can be found online they make customers believe the books are commemorative when they are just directories and they should not alllowing billing at all because all the management does is complain if a sales agent sells a book thru sending a bill in the mail... Dont send people books they havent paid for is my advice....smh

Fundraising

Current Employee - Fundraising in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Fundraising in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Harris Connect part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Do NOT work for this company!!! Their "coaching" is STUPID and POINTLESS and is conducted by childish people who merely ridicule and insult with scathing remarks and more. I do NOT recommend this company whatsoever. NO WAY, NO HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons

Those were the Pros...the CONS are that the job over time, affects you negatively emotionally and psychologically because they treat employees as if they are not only children but completely stupid too. It is endless what they expect employees to put up with in this role, with no ability to respond rationally, maturely, or reasonably. They expect people to tolerate abuse, both by the persons being contacted and also by the management. STOP the ABUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Grow up, Stop the endless and ridiculously stupid "coaching," and leave people Alone to do their JOB !!!!! Stop attempting to shame employees in multiple ways. It is insulting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deceptive.. I agree with a previous poster

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Harris Connect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent training pay Secure badge entry No weekends

Cons

Deceptive from the start. The hiring manager was very nice, but I learned quickly that the interview and even the training itself was not all the way truthful. You'll quickly feel a downward shift after the training once you get to the sales floor. There are training classes in groups of 15+ every two weeks for a reason... and it's not because they're growing. Please be aware that it is not until after training that you will find out that you have 6 weeks to meet certain sales goals or you will be cut. No if's, and's, or but's. If you can afford that risk, go for it. If you really need the paycheck without that risk then don't bother applying. Even though there is no cold calling per se, most people wonder how you got their home number, or work number especially. I called several lawyers' offices and hospitals... only to feel completely embarrassed by the receptionist or the alum himself because it was so off putting to conduct a sales call to someone of such prestige at their place of work. We're talking about graduates of The John Hopkins University, Yale, and the like. So-and-So, Esquire and Dr. I-Worked-Hard-For-This and their buddies will quickly put you in your place when you're trying to sell him a 90's style directory and magazines. Unprofessional feel. I came dressed in business casual, but compared to most of the managers and leaders on the floor, I realized I was trying too hard. For everything they demand from you, I expect management to act and dress the part... but that's just me. Outdated product, but hey they're still in business for now. As someone previously stated, the people who buy the product are elderly or have money to throw in any direction. Social media has made this product completely unnecessary for the majority. Either you love sales and you're amazing at it, or you're using this strictly as a place holder in between jobs for however long you may last. Micromanagement. Of course calls are timed and monitored as expected, but it's a little ridiculous when an adult has to explain why they were logged off to be able to use the restroom... which you have to rush to do only so that you can come back with your head hanging low because you know the question will eventually come up. It's that feeling from kindergarten when you're at the water fountain with the kid behind you counting and tapping you on the shoulder. No thank you. During training we were introduced to some of the enthusiastic sales reps who claimed how much they loved their job, the benefits, and the money potential. It made me feel welcome and like it was a good place to be. Unfortunately those few people were hand picked to play into HR's hype that they sell to you during the interview.

Advice to Management

Be completely honest upfront. You'll be able to weed people out from the beginning instead of wasting training hours and money on people who will eventually walk out

No morals or integrity!

Former Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Harris Connect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some friends who I still keep in touch with now. Pretty decent break room. They have a security guard and badge only entry.

Cons

They told my training class (about 20 ppl) that we were chosen out of 900 (yes hundred) applications that they had received. YEAH RIGHT! 2 weeks later...another training class started....and another one 2 weeks after that. They don't care if an elderly woman falls on the ground pleading for help while you're listening helplessly on the other line. I wanted to call the assisted living facility she was at to let them know. But NO, was told by a Manager to disposition the call (meaning hang up) and go on to the next one. "They will find her eventually" they told me. Excuse me?! What planet are you on? I stood up for what was right...the next day, my badge didn't work. They fired me by telephone...the one in the hallway outside the security office. Seriously? You hired me face to face...you can't face me to fire me? I don't want to work for a company who doesn't care about people...ESPECIALLY the elderly!

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of others. Don't turn your back on someone who clearly needs your help. Stand up for the right thing.

Proceed with caution

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

Better than average starting pay; Professionally administrated; Decent benefits available

Cons

Mandatory overtime with very brief breaks; increased pressure to be less-than-honest, or even predatory with callers. Constantly reducing services to customers while increasing prices and charges. Company is trying to sell 1995 products in the 21st century, but refuses to.make much needed changes.

Advice to Management

Learn about sales, as a profession,before you try to train or supervise sales reps. The majority of you have NO clue about real sales. Also, stop lying to reps when they have questions. Be honest about the company and the work.

10. Great company for Work At Home types!

Current Employee - Fundraiser in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Harris Connect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home is definitely a plus.

Cons

At the same time, working from home is a con, harder to have a community atmosphere with no community.

Advice to Management

Maybe offer team meetings weekly or biweekly with the cameras.

11. Good place to be

Current Employee - Work At Home Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Work At Home Sales Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Harris Connect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is extensive and the team really allows to utilize your own skills into the sales process. A very laid back sales environment because you're not cold calling the prospects (most of the time) and they might give you the option to work from home which I do, and love.

Cons

I've had very little cons aside from the schedule fluctuations due to the business. When we're slow you might not get all 40 hours, and when we're busy it could be a mandatory 45.

RSS Feed </> Embed