Harris County

Harris County Reviews

Updated Jun 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

A great opportunity to meet many wonderful people.

Court Clerk (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsClosed Holidays and off weekends.

ConsNo overtime. You gain comp time.

Benefits Coordinator

ProsI have to be honest, there are NO PROS to working for county!

ConsPolitics
    Management is under educated
    Horrible Management Skills by managers
    Managers have favorites
    Horrible place to work overall

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn management skills and be fair to all employees!!

Very political office even though they say they are not bias.

Information Clerk (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsOnce established, it is hard to get fired. They will move you around to other departments unless you did something illegal. Once you're in the Harris County system, you can move around easily to other departments/locations if necessary/needed.

ConsIf you work in a department that is headed by someone that was "elected" (public election), and you happen to not support their particular party, you will be re-assigned or let go because of "downsizing" or "budget cuts"

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the workers that actually do work and not just your friends you're looking out for.
    Hire the temporary employees (temp agencies) make them full time. Show them that hard work does pay off since they do the majority of the work anyways.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Watch who yiu befruend or alienate

Public Relations (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits and insurance were the best perks of working at the county.its

ConsBecause of the existing good ol boy system it is difficult for females to get too far upnthe ladder. Also, politucal games would place you in precarious alliances.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring friends and family over qualified applicants

clerk

Information Clerk (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits, longetivity, paid holidays, flexible work schedule, paid insurance

Conshigher pay should be made

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

It is just an ok place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood health and medical benefits and employee retirement

ConsNeeds more professionals working in the organizaiton

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional

Opinion

Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsThe option to work flex schedule

ConsMany of the upper management is unfriendly, don't speak

Document Control Specialist 3

Document Control Specialist III (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsExperience, Advancements, On-line courses, location

ConsNo seniority, training, enhancements, self-starter

Advice to Senior ManagementIf skills is what you're company seeks, please give me a call...

Overall, great place to start or end

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI worked in a great department with great management that recognized my potential and gave me every opportunity for advancement possible. In my department, I was able to make the most out of my position and broaden the range of my role. I worked in a team environment with other departments and received recognition for doing a good job.

This is a great family environment. If you have a family, the flexibility of your schedule is always accommodated.

This is a great place for stability if you want to work in one place for the rest of your life.

ConsChange in management meant a change in environment. Since there were no metrics, promotions appeared subjective rather than objective (I'm sure others felt the same when I was promoted). New management did not like confrontation, which meant no more staff meetings, which meant no more two way conversations about changes coming up. New management only communicated to the masses by email. I went into meetings with other departments, came back to management and express the concerns that were brought up, and management avoided providing any solution and would not authorize me to make any. Made my job hard to go to meeting after meeting without any progress or positive information to transfer.

Another downside is that everyone stays here to retirement. Usually, hard to get a promotion unless someone quits, is fired (rare) or retires. If I wanted to get into management, I would have had to wait another 20 years.

Technologically behind because taxpayer money is tied up for other objectives. Any ideas for efficiency that required technology or $$ would usually be denied because of budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify inefficiencies and address them instead of letting them persist. This includes $300 software and employees that should be reorg'ed elsewhere.

Excellent place to work

Assistant County Attorney (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgood compensation. Excellent hours and flexibility. Opportunity to make a positive impact.

ConsLayoffs occur when property tax values decrease (every 20 years or so)

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in technology to make government operations more efficient.

Worked for Harris County? Contribute to the Community!