Harris Health System

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David S Lopez

Pros
  • This culture of the organization is for everyone to have work-life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Some really nice, hardworking people, benefits are good(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The good old boy network is alive and well(in 5 reviews)

• It is a cliquish, good old boy network(in 3 reviews)

Working in IT Dept

Field Service Support (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat Environment, Excellent Benefits, Good Mangers, no politics especially in my group.

Consnothing so far but i can say its one of the best companies i have worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Job.

Continuous Improvements are a Good Thing!

Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHealthcare institution focused on helping those that need help most. Makes you feel good about your job and your contributions to help others. Management continues to seek out the most efficient operational enhancements in order to see more patients with minimal costs and resources. Fast work environment that leverages your skills and abilities. IT has provided some very good business and clinical tools and continues to upgrade critical applications as needed to meet current compliance, healthcare and business needs.

Benefits are very good at this company. Good health, optical, and dental insurance plans. Offers both 401K and 457K plans for retirement savings.

ConsLean budgets can make for challenging times. Company must determine business and clinical goals and budget accordingly. Avoid mid-year changes in direction and priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work well with one another. We are all in this together. Applaud good work when recognized.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThis culture of the organization is for everyone to have work-life balance. That's a very good thing especially when you have a family.

ConsA lot of employees are not motivated to make things better.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange is good!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, you get out what you put in.

Director (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWork life balance, pay, training, benefits.

ConsHaving a board that makes decisions but knows little about a hospital environment is dangerous.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more perks and motivational rewards.

questioning who is writing these latest positive reviews...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood co-workers that cared for each other. Employees planned fun group activities. IT is in a good location that is away from the congested med center. Pay was competitive.

ConsWhere do I start! The gossip among managers/directors is completely ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it. They pit the employees against one another. I am a business analyst and all I did was fill out paperwork for my manager. I rarely used any analytic skills. I had to deal with customers who were rude and out of line on a daily basis. I constantly felt like I was "in trouble" for something (which I have NEVER felt at any previous employer). I felt like no matter what I did, it was never good enough. Never would be. I am a seasoned professional and I was watched like an hourly employee. My manager would monitor how long I was gone for lunch, when I came in, and when I left. I DO NOT abuse my time for any company, and should not have been treated that way. Right before I resigned, I was required to track my work in a ticketing system, on a status report each week, AND on an HOURLY timesheet. Are you kidding me?? I am an exempt employee and I was spending most of my time tracking my time and filling out administrative paperwork??
    And you can forget any sympathy from management if you have a sick child/death in the family,etc. PTO must be used for everything. Oh, and they lump in your HOLIDAYS into your PTO. So when the recruiter tells you they give 5 weeks of vacation...just remember that includes the 10 holidays that you get with any company!! You are NEVER allowed to work from home (that is, unless they need you to work after hours for free, then it's just fine!). And, if you do take PTO, be prepared to get a major guilt trip and be punished by your manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will not retain professional employees by treating them like hourly employees. You immediately assume your employees are there to take advantage of you in every way, and they are idiots. When you treat people like you don't trust or respect them, they will do the bare minimum. So if you want the bare minimum and you don't mind dealing with a huge turnover rate, then continue forward with your current management practices.

No room for advancement

Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) Baytown, TX

ProsGreat work, and the patients are awesome

Conspoor management, micro managing and uses favoritism and basis people on skin color, poor team work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop allowing people that DO NOT DO THEIR JOBS to continue being so lazy and give people a chance that actually prove time and time again that they can not only do THEIR JOB but others as well.

Poor management, soon to be changed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere are some good people here, like at all places.

ConsThe CEO was recently ousted, and the CIO is on his way out. The previous CIO apparently went to prison. -Avoid this place like the plague.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the COO (Acting CEO): You've recently lost some major talent in IT due to the incompetence of the CIO. Do yourself a favor and recruit his replacement from those who left.

HHS policy makes it difficult for us to do our jobs.

ProsMedical Benefits
    401 K match,
    Education reimbursement.
    Good CEO
    Decent hours.

ConsInternal Culture of "the customer is always right" and Patient "perception" is considered the BIBLE of this workplace even when the patient is wrong, abusive and threatening to the staff.
    Abuse and harrassement by patients is tolerated because management is afraid of complaints.
    Too much middle management. They always say "follow your chain of command"...but there are so many layers of middle management you don't know who to report to.
    Low salaries compared to those outside "the district".
    Constant understaffing and poor scheduling.
    High turn over.
    Too much waste of money and supplies.
    Managers hired without actual experience in the areas they are hired.
    HR is unapproachable and not very helpful when dilemmas occur.
    We have little to no recourse when we are accused of infractions of policy and procedures when it comes to our word v. a difficult patients.
    The Patients word is always taken as truth even when we have witnesses who contradict the patients version. We are still punnished as though we did something wrong. This needs to stop.
     By not having some policy in place to PROTECT us from abuse from patients we are forced to file Global compliance complaints and report these things to our Union.
    We cannot do a good job when we are constantly having to worry if a patient "perceives" our actions or words differently than they are intended.
    We are not a hospitality industry. We need to take a stand AGAINST allowing patients to abuse and harass us.
    Managers need to KNOW policies and not make them up as they go.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut some of those layers of middle management.
    Stop the patient perception culture that encourages patients to abuse and harass the staff!
    PAY us better. We love what we do...but we can't keep falling further and further behind the industry standard for salaries and expect us to stay. We can't afford to!
    Turn over is high for a reason. Ask the right people the right questions and you will find the source of the problem.
    Mr Lopez is out of touch with the reality of how HHS really works. From greeting the patient to the minute they walk out the door and all in between. I loved his speech at orientation but the culture here is the exact opposite of what he spoke of: the ministry, the love for the patients, helping the community. We have grown too large too fast. We are completely out of control with even more locations opening and we don't have a handle on staffing, scheduling or how to actually manage patient care.

Registered Nurse

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits, wide variety of departments

ConsCounty hospital depending on taxes for revenue

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and engage your people

Considering employment here supporting PeopleSoft? Run. Away. As fast as you can.

PeopleSoft (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood 401k plan match. That's the only good thing there.

ConsManagement. You will see a trend here in these negative reviews - particularly around IT management. Notice a lot of PeopleSoft jobs posted for Harris Health on job boards? There's a reason. 50% turnover in the PeopleSoft department. Don't consider this place unless you are so desperate for a job, you're about to be holding a cardboard sign at a stoplight.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people fairly. Don't make up policies to suit you because of who you decide you like and who you randomly decide you don't. You're so more transparent than you know. Don't micromanage. Don't hire people with no experience at a high level because they're a friend. The team is made up of seasoned professionals; don't micromanage and treat them like their clerks on their first job. They're smart; they can see through all the shadiness going on. And there's a lot of it.

To HR: If people are complaining, there's a reason. Read, re-read the exit surveys. Talk to the employees. That would be better than sitting back and watching the attrition rates continue to rise in this department.

Worked for Harris Health System? Contribute to the Community!