Harris IT Services

www.itservices.harris.com

Harris IT Services Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Harris IT Services – “Harris Corporation”

Harris IT Services – “Harris Corporation”

John E. Heller

Pros
  • Good benefits, excellent training and promotion possibilities (in 5 reviews)

• There is actually a work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There are only a couple in upper management who don't seem they have a real feel for what the engineers do in the field (in 3 reviews)

• Corporate policies and protocols (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoyed working with this company as a contractor. I would like to join the company again if hired!

Program Assistant (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe company has a lot to offer its employees and has a very good program of supporting the Government sector.

ConsAs a Contractor, I was hoping to get hired on a direct hire basis before the VA scandal hit the news. I would have accepted the offer right away.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the contractors more hours on a weekly schedule as in a full work week. If not, hire directly.

Overall good place to work

Trainer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood benefits, excellent training and promotion possibilities. The DC metro area job that I had was easy to find and interview for. I could have stayed as long as we kept our government contract. I ended up moving out of the area for other reasons

ConsNot many. Mid-level management could sometimes feel the need to overthink and sometimes micro-manage the work that some of us did directly with the contract manager. It was unnecessary, but understandable.

Financial Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible, Great management team, Overall an OK place to work

ConsLimited career opportunities, low salary

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, So-So Leadership

ProsI have loved the flexibility of schedule and the understanding that family comes first. "We all have lives, and they start 5 minutes after we leave this building."

ConsThe higher up the pay scale a person is, the less they seem to understand the concerns of those "below" them. As a large contract was ending, help in finding other positions within the company was promised, but not delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what it was like when you were being managed...before you became a manager.

Solid company with long history of delivering communication systems, now suffering from a lack of leadership diversity.

Program Manager (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsHarris is a solid company with a great reputation and outstanding products. This HITS division was established through the acquisition of MultiMax, a Netcents Prime contractor and NMCI subcontractor. Compensation and benefits are both solid with a good work-life balance environment within most of the programs.

ConsThis division of Harris has not won any significant new work for a couple of years. The management seems to be increasingly risk-averse, which only impairs their ability to submit competitive bids, at least in the DoD space where I was employed. They continue to shed jobs and any prospective employee should realize the organizational structure may be changing too.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the diversity of your management team to bring in new viewpoints and opportunities for corproate success.

Employee-focused company w/ nice perks, but workload expectation was not reasonable.

Computer Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSmall company feel, very diverse/friendly coworkers, nice facilities, lots of employee programs/excellent benefits

ConsNot much opportunity for career growth, the metrics expectation is out of line with the number of personnel - the old "make bricks without straw" approach...

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider letting your employees telework, at least a few days a week

Overall a good place to work

ProsGreat benefits with several options, generous paid time off, good opportunities for career growth if you are an engineer, hires a lot of people right out of the military.

ConsWork is contract driven, when the contract ends so does your job. Outdated management culture, slow to respond to a fast paced and continually changing IT industry. Very limited work scope and resulting limited opportunities for increasing your knowledge diversity.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you are doing in the exact same way because you you already know everything and change is bad.

Great place to work

ProsGood benefits and work environment. Some opportunities for adavancement. Good work to life balance. Large corporation. Good compensation. Not supervised at my location.

ConsBureacratic processes and procedures. Meetings everyday.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

The gardeners are great!

Network Control Technician (Current Employee)

ProsThere are some really sharp people getting the job done in this outfit! The ones who actually dig in the weeds are sharp, knowledgable and fun to work with. Branch offices are enjoyable to work in.

ConsDoes little to encourage development, driven primarily by financial and political forces with little interest in those performing the labor. While individual sites excel in performance, the corporate offices are best suited to producing dissatisfaction

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate budgets for districts and grant and grant those managers to approve/disapprove, rather than create secret documents that determine outcomes and treat all employees as if they should've known. This is a direct reflection of Harris' corporate values.

Decent salary if you can deal with the nature of contracting.

Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) O'Fallon, IL

ProsEstablished company, most people see it on the resume and don't ask who Harris is.

ConsWhen taking over contracts, they will reduce your pay.
    Turnover is high.
    Paid holidays are few and far between.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, stop underbidding contracts. You've already run off most of the employees here by cutting salaries, and the damage is still being done.

Worked for Harris IT Services? Contribute to the Community!