Harris Marketing Group Reviews

Janice Rosenhaus

1. HMG- a great place to learn & become passionate about integrated marketing

Current Employee - Loyalty Procurement Associate in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Loyalty Procurement Associate in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Harris Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After just recently celebrating my one-year anniversary with Harris Marketing Group, it occurred to me that this cutting-edge agency has taught me so many valuable lessons that I will take with me throughout my professional career. I have been given opportunities to work on various accounts and establish & maintain relationships with both the wonderful employees and the clients we work with. It is apparent that each person who works at HMG is passionate about their role & the agency itself. Due to the boutique size, it's always all-hands on deck, however, that creates a great camaraderie with the team and management.

Cons

I wish my commute was closer -- However, I only see great things for this company's future and am happy to be a part of the environment as it moves onward & upward.

Advice to Management

The open floor plan in the office can be challenging at times. Also, team-building experiences may be beneficial to the staff!

2. Creative person

I worked at Harris Marketing Group

Pros

This agency has always paid me well and on time. I like the people. There are certain things about me that require some understanding on their end, and they have been very accommodating.

Cons

I find the "cons" here to be variations of the same "cons" that exist in every agency I have ever worked for. I learned long ago to accept them as a fact of life.

Advice to Management

Build that rooftop deck you keep talking about.

3. Lots of opportunity to shine!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at Harris Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse client roster, award-winning creative work, great people to work with and prime location (coffee, shopping and food).

Cons

Parking structure is a bit far, especially with the Michigan weather. Brrrr!

Advice to Management

Continue the work-life balance ratio that currently exists. It’s MUCH better than most of the other agencies out there.

Dodged a bullet...

I worked at Harris Marketing Group

Pros

Seemed like a pleasant office environment with a great location.

Cons

This place has a rep for high turnover and a less than professional management staff, which starts at the top with the CEO who is more interested in discussing your astrological sign and doing some serious name dropping, than anything else. ( I decided to not accept the position after hearing some horror stories from others)

Advice to Management

Work on your reputation. It's not good.

Worst experience ever. It's as if the 'The Plastics' from the movie 'Mean Girls' decided to start a business.

I worked at Harris Marketing Group

Pros

There are absolutely no 'Pros' here.

Cons

Totally agree with all of the other negative reviews. In fact a couple of us got together recently, and discussed our experiences there. Toxic and volatile environment with very high employee turnover, and very high client turnover. Management is manipulative and unethical. It's a miracle they're still in business.

Advice to Management

Find a new line of work.

The place is a joke. Not sure how they are still in business.

I have been working at Harris Marketing Group

Pros

The location is the only pro.

Cons

Janice is a complete prima donna and treats her employees as minions. Forget about bringing anything valuable to the table, because she already knows everything.

The pay was awful. I agree with the previous reviewer that it is not much better than being unemployed. With all the head games there, you actually might be better off being unemployed!

Try going to work and to get work done, and the 3 top level managers are all talking about plastic surgery, family drama, prior employees, and even you (yes, right in front of you). It was worse that a soap opera!

I have never seen a company with such a high rate of turnover with employees, vendors and clients.

I was asked and expected to perform unethical business practices.

Avoid this company at all costs!

Not worth it

Former Employee - Art Director in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Art Director in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Harris Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in downtown Birmingham, next to a beautiful park where you will spend your lunch hour blinking back tears and next to a library, where you will go after work to check out books about resumes and cover letters.

Also the support staff is usually hard-working and competent.

Cons

The CEO makes the work culture a tense, stressful atmosphere. During my time there, I was constantly asked to do things outside of my skill set and when I asked for help, I was told to "figure it out." If I attempted something and was not successful, I was berated in front of the entire staff. This situation was true for everyone else on staff.

Additionally, late nights and working weekends often went without acknowledgement or a thank you.

Benefits and salary are embarrassing -- many negotiated away health benefits in order to get a boost in salary.

Because of the high turnover, finances and client accounts are a disorganized mess, despite the best efforts of highly competent support staff. However, they usually have one foot out the door -- and so should you.

Advice to Management

Spend some time reflecting on what kind of person you are and if this is the business you're meant to be in.

Rollercoaster of Stress and Anxiety with a Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde CEO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Harris Marketing Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is in a good location in Birmingham and is very modern. Most of the staff are nice but don't get too attached as either you or they may be "laid off" soon.

Cons

The CEO is extremely volatile. If she likes you now, wait 5 minutes and that will change. If she starts ignoring you for about a week, watch out, as you are next on the chopping block. You are only as good as the current day's work. You may have done some impressive things that she loved but that doesn't matter if she doesn't like you today. Be careful reading the positive reviews...those were are certainly posted by the CEO's assistant and best friend.

Advice to Management

I think it is too late to offer advice. It won't be heard anyway.

Disgraceful

I worked at Harris Marketing Group

Pros

Employees were great- talented and friendly.

Cons

Unprofessional agency with little organization, unclear job roles, not enough employees. College-educated employees not able to do the job they were hired for, as they were covering for the lack of other employees in tasks unrelated to skillset. Finances were in disarray. Constant hiring/firing. The owner has extreme, unpredictable personalities that also makes for an unpleasant work environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on talent retention, organization, and providing quality for your clients.

Like living in a very bad soap opera

Former Employee - Account Person in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Account Person in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Harris Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is nice and some of the staff were great.

Cons

Politics

Have you seen the Devil Wears Prada? That about sums it up.

RSS Feed </> Embed