Harris

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown

Bill Brown

79 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Love working for Harris, just wish they weren't so stingy

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsGreat 9/80 schedule, awesome team (like a family), decent benefits, and plenty of growth potential. Very well-respected and customer-oriented.

ConsUnfortunately, customer-oriented means that profits and savings benefit the customers and shareholders, with employees coming in last. Benefits could be more robust, and the company could be more agile.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Harris could further increase its profits by taking care of its employees better and cutting the red tape that is slowing productivity in some areas and holding back Harris' best and brightest.

Good Company

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee Support, Good Culture, Great benefits

ConsNo growth potential in my area

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees fresh ideas

Not what I expected

Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsLarge company, plenty of room to advance, diverse career opportunities available.

ConsAdvancement or even transferring is quite dependent on who you are, who you know and how 'nice' your manager might be. Not only based on skill, talent and ability. Also, political discussions are often held, quite loudly in some departments. This is supposed to be a no-no in the workplace. Makes it uncomfortable. Each person's experience is VERY dependent on who they end up with for a manager as some departments are wonderful while others are terrible and have been for many years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to focus more on work/life balance of employees and insist on a non-hostile, politically neutral work environment. Also, stop allowing some managers to get away with treating their departments like indentured servants. You will know who they are because they have no seniority in their departments/high turnover.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going downhill, fast.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsNice weather outside, if we had windows.

ConsCareer opportunities are very bleak.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value you employees instead of treating them like disposable assets.

Used to be the best place around...

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsGood job security. Stable. Average pay.

ConsRecent benefits cut drops desirability when considering other similar companies. It takes too long to get things done and raises have been practically non-existent for the last 3-4 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees back what was taken away and allow people to move around when they are bored.

Not the company it used to be; exquisite military solutions being commoditized into fire alarms

GCS Engineer (Former Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsExtremely talented and dedicated engineers that value precision and end customer. Challenging work. Melbourne is a quiet town with good cost of living and now new opportunities with Northrop expanding. 9/80 schedule is great.

ConsBenefits are quickly eroding: health coverage well behind industry now, 9/80 removed in some areas (likely more soon), 401K likely going down, vacation to be limited, and median raises st 1.6% for over a half decade. Speak up and plan for a pink slip. Corporate management appears dead-set on treating engineers like unskilled assembly line workers, and soon that's the caliber of engineer they will have left. Rewards for innovation have become a 'marginal novelty' joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementKey talent is leaving. Measure it, accept it, or just plain ignore it. While you celebrate the record-high stock prices, you can be assured (just as the employees pride themselves in assured communications) that the talent who executes and grows the business will have its eyes looking outside for opportunities providing the rewards Harris is removing.

They focus on profit, not their people.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsFair salary and benefits. Fair bonuses. Good co workers. Plans to improve the poor working conditions in some buildings. Good community relations. Fair training.

ConsLeadership is lacking. Low annual cost of living increases. Too much focus on the bottom line. Don't care about the people who do the work. Lack of patience with new people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the annual re-orgs. Promote for performance, not politics.

Contracts Manager (Current Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsFairly decent salary. One of the better employers if Brevard County is your home.

ConsLack of employee growth and development. 'Chosen' employees given opportunities even if they don't have the experience or aptitude. Manages need training on Mid-Year Authoria reviews and how to get an employee to the next level.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak up the good old boy network at GCS. Most managers are 'in' the network.

great company

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsGood work-life balance. High degree of ethical standards. Interesting technologies and solid corporate culture. Very good benefits.

ConsCompany culture can be lethargic at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

subcontract manager

Subcontract (Former Employee)

Prosvery nice people and challenging work - 9/80 work schredule

Consmid management at time do not understand the challenges at the program level

Advice to Senior Managementmid managers should be have more program experience - at times they think we are building tosters instead of unique systems

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris reviews and ratings in Melbourne, FL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Harris CEO Bill Brown. All 79 reviews posted anonymously by Harris employees.