Harris Reviews

654 reviews filtered by
2.7
Harris President & CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown

Pros
  • Good work/life balance - 9/80 work week (every other Friday off) (in 44 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be good when not on long travel assignments (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has forgotten that programs are won based on a competitive technical edge (in 23 reviews)

• Work life balance is rarely balanced and never to the "life" side (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

This is a great company to work for that is growing and will soon have many more opportunities for career advancement

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, good benefits (much better than many other companies), engaging work (management moves employees around to help them continue to learn and grow), excellent work-life balance

Cons

There really aren't any major cons to working here. The only complaints going around are related to salary growth, which is still in line, if not higher, than industry averages.

Advice to Management

Management does a great job at helping employees advance in their careers. Keep focus on those with great potential and keep doing what you already do to help them succeed.

2. manufacturing engineer

I worked at Harris full-time

Pros

The 9/80 schedule. Paid overtime for salaried employees. Being surrounded by high caliber employees. On site cafeteria is convenient.

Cons

Poor development and utilization of talent. Everyone is told that they own their career which basically means they don't care about your career. Advancing is more about who you know instead of how well you do your job.

Advice to Management

Focus on maximizing the available human resources. Understand that there are different personality types and stop trying to make everyone fit into a certain mold.

3. Graphic Artist

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Herndon, VA

I worked at Harris

Pros

Great proposal staff, fun environment, virtual work when needed, just a fun friendly family feeling. Up to date with latest software and hardware for the job

Cons

There is not to much I didn't like about working at Harris IT Services. They should consider enlarging the production room and increase the pit area.

5. Great!

Current Employee - Program Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Program Financial Analyst

I have been working at Harris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent corporate culture. Very laid back working environment and all my coworkers superiors have always been a pleasure to work with. Great pay for an entry level position and decent benefits. Most divisions in the company follow the 9/80 work schedule that gives you every other Friday off, a benefit which cannot be understated.

Cons

Raises come slowly. Difficult company to make good money with if you stay here forever. Seems that management is trying to pay people less and less.

Advice to Management

more incentive's. Raises seem to be the same across the board most of the time instead of being based on merit. Promotions seem based almost entirely on how long you've been here rather than your level of production.

6. Sr. Software Client Service Representative Level IV

Former Employee - Client Service Representative IV in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative IV in New York, NY

I worked at Harris

Pros

Learned so much about software and I loved how diverse each day was. I also loved every team I worked with.

Cons

Work given to employees is not based on what each employee brings to the table as those who do the minimum get the same percentage as those that do much more. After leaving Harris, I realize that the company did not prepare us for working in the industry. Providing tools such as SQL and Crystal reporting would have better prepared me to compete for positions in this industry.

Advice to Management

They need more people doing the actual work and less managers.

7. Great, friendly environment

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

Great, friendly environment. Upon finish one project, EM find another project to work on it.

Cons

Sometime too much process and documentation involved.

Advice to Management

streamline processes in order to be more productive. Be proactive from beginning.

8. field technicain

I worked at Harris

Pros

Excellent Place to work. Supportive group.

Cons

24x7 on-call but not terrible at all.

9. Software Engineer 2

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides excellent job security. It takes a lot for the company to fire an employee. There are numerous projects to work on and plenty of opportunities to learn.

Cons

The extra rules because they are a government contractor. Bonuses are minuscule even when the company is doing really well. There are a lot of programs that require overtime and if the program is over budget then OT is not paid. It's a very old school environment for development. They don't favor agile due to programs implementing it incorrectly.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more.

Good work, good benefits, but both seem to be declining in competitiveness in exchange for higher profit margins.

I have been working at Harris

Pros

Every other friday off is great!

Good benefits. Quality (but increasingly pricey) health insurance, retirement matching.

Company is expanding with the purchase of Exelis.

Cons

Benefits and salary seem to be in a decline.

The employees seem to be less and less valued yet expected to do more each day.

Advice to Management

Shareholders are important, no argument there.

But employees are too, especially the talented engineers who can move across the street to Northrop Grumman. Good people are moving on because they feel undervalued and that there is absolutely no incentive to stay long term.

Retiree benefits have been completely eliminated within the last 2 years. And health insurance costs have skyrocketed.

11. Positive experience with Harris.

Former Employee - Senior Network Control Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Network Control Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Harris full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good company to work with.

Cons

Little help with internal staffing

Advice to Management

The company/HR should try harder to retain workforce. I work on the NMCI project and applied to various positions within Harris for position which I know I could preform and never even got an inquiry, sad situation.