Harris Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
2.7

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown

Pros
  • Good work/life balance - 9/80 work week (every other Friday off) (in 43 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be good when not on long travel assignments (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has forgotten that programs are won based on a competitive technical edge (in 18 reviews)

• Work life balance is rarely balanced and never to the "life" side (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Leadership

I worked at Harris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, good benefits, some people are great but seem to also suffer from some "unfireable" people doing poor work.

Cons

Leadership is poor, no training plans, compensation is below average. Lack of leadership vision is the main area of concern.

Get a CEO who is not from a product manufacturing background if you want to sell consulting services.

Good people, few bad apples.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Harris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will have the opportunity to work with some very smart people from a lot of different backgrounds. Great C E O

Cons

It is not a very fun office. It seems as if everyone looks out for themselves. There is not an open door policy.

Nothing spectacular

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

good benefits
    average pay
    good if you just want a stable every day 9-5 job that puts food on the table .

Cons

somewhat somewhat pigeon holed into one thing.
    not much room for career development.
    employee morale low,pretty boring place to work,

Was a great place to work before Bill Brown became CEO.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Excellent work-life balance. Although not advertised, Harris provides a fairly flexible work schedule.

Cons

Poor company moral. Small or non-existent raises, even for great performers. Benefits are dwindling away. Most employees are being forced from offices into downsized cubicles.

Pay more attention to the employees instead of the stockholders. Corporate management is driving away Harris' biggest asset. Most of the best engineers I've had the privilege to work with have moved on to other companies.

Its all about the Stock Price.

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Your coworkers are the best part of this job.
    9/80 at Government Communication Systems is nice but not sure how long it will last.
    Starting 3 weeks vacation is a plus.

Cons

General -
    - Benefits are quickly declining. Each year health care coverage is lowered while the cost of health care goes up.
    - Profit Sharing has been reduced from a max of 6% to a max of 3%.
    - Pay Raises have been been minimal (<2%) over that last 5 years, and delayed 6 months in 2014. This does not look like it will change in the near future.
    - Education assistance has been reduced to 2 classes a year.
    - Management will regulatory assign work above your pay grade and your reward for being successful is additional work above your pay grade.
    - Little to no training.

Supply Chain -
    - This is an engineering company, Supply Chain and other support functions are not respected within the Company.
    - Work load is very high and customers are difficult.
    - Promotions and advancement are very rare. No career growth opportunities within the Supply Chain organization.

Going Downhill Fast

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Harris has a lot of brilliant engineers and a wide range of technologies to work on. The 9/80 workweek is wonderful.

Cons

Harris is being destroyed by a new CEO who has no regard for professional employees. His background in manufacturing is leading to the destruction of the morale. Experienced engineers with invaluable skills are getting pushed out in favor of young people who naturally cost less. This CEO brought in his own HR man who has an adversarial attitude toward employees.

People 55 and older are literally being issued a warning for "not ranking well" against their younger peers, when the intelligent and responsible thing to do is have a plan to make use of employees as they approach retirement age.

Get in and get out...

Current Employee - Quality Engineer I in Malabar, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer I in Malabar, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good resume builder and there are some great people who you can learn a lot from; but everyone with tells you the same thing, it's a good place to start and then move on. (Seriously, it's a running joke there.) The work isn't that fulfilling, management is behind the times, and the company only strives to stay in business.

Cons

They're 15 years behind current manufacturing ideas, probably because the average age of their workforce is in their mid forties and any young people usually leave within 2-3 years. Management encourages a "leave, come back in a few years and then we'll give you a raise" culture. If you are looking for, youthful, cutting edge, high achieving work environment do not work here.

In the seven years that I worked for Harris, I was presented with multiple opportunities to better myself as an employee and a person.

Former Employee - ARTS Controller in Schriever AFB, CO
    Former Employee - ARTS Controller in Schriever AFB, CO

I worked at Harris full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel that the biggest "pro" in my experience with Harris Corporation was job satisfaction. I felt valued as an employee by my management, associate contracts and military leadership. Being recognized and awarded for my efforts and achievements always made me want to work that much harder.

Cons

I honestly can't really think of any "cons" in regards to Harris. I was presented with multiple opportunities to remain with the company and even elevate my position but, in my personal life, it was time to make the move. Were I not engaged, I wouldn't have left the company.

Keep up the good work. I hope that Harris continues to grow.

Harris has gone from Wonderful to Awful!!!

Current Employee - Comm Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Comm Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working for Harris since 2/2008 and love the friendly atmosphere, company is located in a kid friendly area; great schools, parks, beaches, and low cost of leaving.

Cons

I moved to Central Florida in 2008 and took a position that paid 40% less than I made in the Northeast. For the first 3, or 4 years I had no regrets; working for Harris was great! Once the new CEO took over, Harris went from being a terrific company to an awful company. Employees are treated as if the work is done by the narcissist CEO and his cronies. Loyalty to company is slowly dwindling, compensations and promotions are almost non-existent (FY14) was the first increase of salary in many years and it was only a result of an awful review the CEO received by first ever survey.
    The effort on the part of CEO is in place to sell this once great company. The writing is on the wall. The emphasis to save money and place the cash on the books, the high stock price with no support what so ever, no travel approval for the work force only for upper management, and finally, no training budget.

Get your head out of the dark and don’t assume that this CEO is looking out for the well being of the company and its employees.

Incompetent executive leadership: at least a couple of the company's units are underperforming due to poor management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

There are a few success stories out there that seem to help keep the company afloat.

Cons

Double standard with respect to holding executives accountable for their own incompetence and poor decision making vs. setting employees up for failure and punishing them. Executives make snap judgments and develop dispositions based on limited facts and overly discount the valuable inputs of experienced employees in the field. A litany of issues have existed for years: weak talent, poor recruitment, product quality problems, over zealous cost cutting, no professional training programs, no strategic marketing plans are but a few of the challenges this company has failed to address.

Stop managing for the share price and your golden parachutes you are focused on. If your customers are not satisfied, if your employees are demoralized, your stock price will not hold. Hold executives to the same standards of performance as the employees. Eliminate teflon executives who keep their jobs or get ahead on the backs of employees they abuse or dismiss. The company needs to understand its markets, its customers, and be open to understanding the broader trends in the Information Technology and Communications space.