Harris Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown
Bill Brown

Pros
  • very nice people and challenging work - 9/80 work schredule (in 41 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be good when not on long travel assignments (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has forgotten that programs are won based on a competitive technical edge (in 16 reviews)

• Work life balance is rarely balanced and never to the "life" side (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Closed minded and arrogant, clueless

Current Employee - Business Development in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, nice people

Cons

Disorganized, shortsighted, no clear direction, profit over employees

Lead

Nothing spectacular

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

good benefits
    average pay
    good if you just want a stable every day 9-5 job that puts food on the table .

Cons

somewhat somewhat pigeon holed into one thing.
    not much room for career development.
    employee morale low,pretty boring place to work,

Great mission, but not great leadership.

I worked at Harris

Pros

The work is interesting.
    Most employees work hard and want to do the right thing.
    Providing critical communications brings satisfaction.

Cons

No inspired leadership--care only about dollars.
    Leadership has poor view of customers--care only about dollars.
    Lots of broken operational processes that never seem to be fixed.
    Advancement only for a hand-picked few.

Harris GCSD

Current Employee - Engineering Technician C in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician C in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay for the area, excellent vacation and sick time, reasonable benefits. 9/80 work schedule is always a plus.

Cons

Personnel planning seems a bit lacking, people with just get dumped onto a task with little experience or insight and speed has become a factor. Constant push to do things quicker and cheaper, which I understand but there is a limit until you compromise the product.

Learn what your employees strengths are and assign them accordingly if appropriate spots are available, a mechanic doesn't make the best electrician.

Learn alot

I worked at Harris

Pros

Harris has an awesome work environment

Cons

The works are very challenging, but I learned a lot.

In the seven years that I worked for Harris, I was presented with multiple opportunities to better myself as an employee and a person.

Former Employee - ARTS Controller in Schriever AFB, CO
    Former Employee - ARTS Controller in Schriever AFB, CO

I worked at Harris full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel that the biggest "pro" in my experience with Harris Corporation was job satisfaction. I felt valued as an employee by my management, associate contracts and military leadership. Being recognized and awarded for my efforts and achievements always made me want to work that much harder.

Cons

I honestly can't really think of any "cons" in regards to Harris. I was presented with multiple opportunities to remain with the company and even elevate my position but, in my personal life, it was time to make the move. Were I not engaged, I wouldn't have left the company.

Keep up the good work. I hope that Harris continues to grow.

Was a great place to work before Bill Brown became CEO.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Excellent work-life balance. Although not advertised, Harris provides a fairly flexible work schedule.

Cons

Poor company moral. Small or non-existent raises, even for great performers. Benefits are dwindling away. Most employees are being forced from offices into downsized cubicles.

Pay more attention to the employees instead of the stockholders. Corporate management is driving away Harris' biggest asset. Most of the best engineers I've had the privilege to work with have moved on to other companies.

Harris has gone from Wonderful to Awful!!!

Current Employee - Comm Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Comm Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working for Harris since 2/2008 and love the friendly atmosphere, company is located in a kid friendly area; great schools, parks, beaches, and low cost of leaving.

Cons

I moved to Central Florida in 2008 and took a position that paid 40% less than I made in the Northeast. For the first 3, or 4 years I had no regrets; working for Harris was great! Once the new CEO took over, Harris went from being a terrific company to an awful company. Employees are treated as if the work is done by the narcissist CEO and his cronies. Loyalty to company is slowly dwindling, compensations and promotions are almost non-existent (FY14) was the first increase of salary in many years and it was only a result of an awful review the CEO received by first ever survey.
    The effort on the part of CEO is in place to sell this once great company. The writing is on the wall. The emphasis to save money and place the cash on the books, the high stock price with no support what so ever, no travel approval for the work force only for upper management, and finally, no training budget.

Get your head out of the dark and don’t assume that this CEO is looking out for the well being of the company and its employees.

Was good but now not so much

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Harris full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good to cut your teeth and cross train. After that it's hard to move up.

Cons

Limited upward mobility. If they like you where you are then they won't move you. Also the pay raises are minimal and delayed sometimes.

quit cutting talent to improve the bottom line

Incompetent executive leadership: at least a couple of the company's units are underperforming due to poor management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Harris full-time

Pros

There are a few success stories out there that seem to help keep the company afloat.

Cons

Double standard with respect to holding executives accountable for their own incompetence and poor decision making vs. setting employees up for failure and punishing them. Executives make snap judgments and develop dispositions based on limited facts and overly discount the valuable inputs of experienced employees in the field. A litany of issues have existed for years: weak talent, poor recruitment, product quality problems, over zealous cost cutting, no professional training programs, no strategic marketing plans are but a few of the challenges this company has failed to address.

Stop managing for the share price and your golden parachutes you are focused on. If your customers are not satisfied, if your employees are demoralized, your stock price will not hold. Hold executives to the same standards of performance as the employees. Eliminate teflon executives who keep their jobs or get ahead on the backs of employees they abuse or dismiss. The company needs to understand its markets, its customers, and be open to understanding the broader trends in the Information Technology and Communications space.

Harris Photos